Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 179
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Spoiler: V05E06
    Show
    I think she's emphasising that the shapeshifting power she's about to demonstrate is not her Semblance.




    Spoiler: V05E06
    Show
    Qrowe is strongly implied to be a shapeshifter too. So it's unlikely that Raven's trick stems from being a Maiden. Of course, that'd mean that there's yet another new category of supernatural power. How many are we going to have by the time RWBY ends?
    Spoiler: V5 E6
    Show
    Honestly I don't think the shape-shifting trick is another new category of supernatural power, I think its going to be a demonstration of magic being used on people.

    @LaZodiac: It took me a moment to realize it, but Yang actually has seen that bird before and in a way that makes Raven an even worse mom.

    End of Volume 3, when Salem is about to start the reveal that the narrator has been the Queen of Grimm this whole time, Yang is staring out her window at a raven. The implication at the time was it was just meant to be ominous but...it was Raven.

    Raven did come to see Yang after her arm cut off, unlike what Qrow said, Raven just didn't actually see or talk to Yang. Just showed up, checked to see if Yang was live and bugged out again. I wouldn't be surprised, but I would be a little miffed since we only see a single instance of it, that if Raven gets a 'redemption' it will include the revelation that Raven has gone to visit Yang and watch over her..just never actually talked to her. Because Raven's 'only the strong will survive' and absurd version of tough love to make Yang strong is utter bull crap. Its something a BadMom (which Raven is) would think is good parenting.

    And imagine that, something LaZodiac finds silly in RWBY
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    I think the one-word thing is meant to be played as a serious attempt of Blake's at summing up a person's personality. We are meant to be given insight into Adam, at least, as spite.

    However, I've seen enough commentary for these sort of shows to know the writers are often not matching the mood at which things meant to be enacted. They could do both.

    Also, I think its very significant the Ruby is "purity."

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Too many. And I really think the whole "Qrowe and Raven can turn into crows and ravens" thing is...really silly.
    Spoiler: V5C6 How the magic is made
    Show
    The way I imagine it. Ozpin was standing before Qrow and Raven and saying, "Now I'm going to give you a magic gift. I will let you take the form of another creature. Now, let me think...what creature shall it be....ah!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Just a reminder we saw a black birdy in the

    Red Trailer
    Black Trailer
    Yellow Trailer
    Vol 3 Chapter 3 watching Qrow vs Winter
    Vol 3 Chapter 12 watching Yang in the Cabin
    Vol 3 Chapter 12 watching Ruby and JNPR


    I have not seen some count Vol 4 and 5 yet.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Just a reminder we saw a black birdy in the

    Red Trailer
    Black Trailer
    Yellow Trailer
    Vol 3 Chapter 3 watching Qrow vs Winter
    Vol 3 Chapter 12 watching Yang in the Cabin
    Vol 3 Chapter 12 watching Ruby and JNPR


    I have not seen some count Vol 4 and 5 yet.
    Raven isn't so much a BadMom as she is a StalkerMom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Raven isn't so much a BadMom as she is a StalkerMom.
    Some of those things are likely to be Qrow. We know the Vol 3 Chapter 12 involving Ruby and JNPR is Qrow and not Raven.

    Who knows who appears in the Black trailer with Blake and Adam. That may just be a bird.

    I think it is more likely anything involving just Ruby and not Yang would be Uncle Qrow for Uncle Qrow has a bond with Buy being her teacher, while Raven should have no bond with Ruby for she left prior to Ruby's birth, in fact she had to leave for Taiyang to date Sumner for Sumner supposedly comforted him after Raven left, aka starting that relationship.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Raven isn't so much a BadMom as she is a StalkerMom.
    I don't know about you, but Stalker sounds pretty BadMom all by itself to me.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 20!



  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I don't know about you, but Stalker sounds pretty BadMom all by itself to me.
    She can be both. BadMom is pretty generic but StalkerMom seems more specific regarding her flaws...

    Wait I'm getting deja vu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Let us not forget the "Birdie no!" incident, a great life was lost that day (unless killing the bird doesn't kill the person).

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Let us not forget the "Birdie no!" incident, a great life was lost that day (unless killing the bird doesn't kill the person).
    All we saw was a couple of stray feathers. Birdie survived!

    Although, this could mean that Raven has a reason to be hating on Ruby...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    so whats ruby and yang gonna transform as their next semblances( third for ruby and second for yang)
    Spoiler: why its ruby's third semblance
    Show
    okay if its not balant cast of metamagiced time stop then ruby gonna hit the speed force and become fastest huntress alive( man if they pull this of i dont have a word to say any more.)

    just for the lolz. my name is ruby rose i am the fastest huntress alive .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    It's RWBY day, new episode on Rooster Teeth's website for paid subscribers.

    RWBY: Volume 5, Chapter 7: Rest and Resolutions

    http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby...ihbbskhw98etu2

    It is a short episode, only 13 mins long and that includes the opening and closing credits.

    And for the free people, RWBY Vol 5 Chapter 6 is now on youtube



    So it is getting to be that time of year and I see via the videos RWBY has new merch, is anyone going to give or receive RWBY merch during the various winter holidays?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    I'd like to get some for myself, but cash is far too tight to splurge on things like that .


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    I'd like to get some for myself, but cash is far too tight to splurge on things like that .
    I sympathize for I am broke too.

    Are you the Weiss form of Broke, or the Ruby form of Broke from Vol 3?
    (You have no money vs you lost / spent all your money?)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I sympathize for I am broke too.

    Are you the Weiss form of Broke, or the Ruby form of Broke from Vol 3?
    (You have no money vs you lost / spent all your money?)
    That's a super personal question, and given the context of "Weiss broke" that's super rude.

    As for me I have no desire to own any physical thing representing RWBY.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-11-25 at 01:14 PM.


    Sly Zodi by Cuthalion. It's time to do a crime.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That's a super personal question, and given the context of "Weiss broke" that's super rude!
    Yeah that came off as rude in a way that I did not mean to be rude. I meant are you currently unemployed and thus broke, or did you thought you would have money but something happen (like emerald taking your wallet, or you spending too much or an accident happen) and now you are broke.

    And you can even say this is rude, but this is closer to what I meant.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I sympathize for I am broke too.

    Are you the Weiss form of Broke, or the Ruby form of Broke from Vol 3?
    (You have no money vs you lost / spent all your money?)
    Very, very tight income at the moment. Basically covers rent, utilities and food and that's about it.


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    oh that reminds me.

    I still want to get a Yang plush.

    Anyways.
    Spoiler: V5 E6
    Show

    By now I just skip the opening thing. the songs have gone downhill.

    wow where did they get such a generic bartender voice guy? like, this is factory-made, bartender voice.

    Yes, failure montage, whatever.

    Yup, Shiro's dead, along with a lot of other Hunters...

    Um......Raven I think your plan to sow doubt is backfiring.

    Raven. you responded with "I know more than you realize" to THAT emotional outburst!? Screw off.

    Yeah, you tell her Yang! protect your sister, your instincts are guiding you well.

    well at least three of them are back, but........Blake........

    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 20!



  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Very, very tight income at the moment. Basically covers rent, utilities and food and that's about it.
    Sigh, I know this all to well, sorry if I came off rude when I was trying to inquire earlier. But yeah similar style of broke for me, so nothing like this will be under my tree (in a self bought fashion).



    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    As for me I have no desire to own any physical thing representing RWBY.
    Part of me sees this now as a challenge, surely something of RWBY merch exist that LaZodiac will see as having taste and is nice, and not going to make her cringe. Something she will say I may not be full of pride or think I want that, yet she will still appreciate it and say that is not bad.

    That said if I were to think of most RWBY merch and whether LaZodiac would appreciate it, this is the face I think LaZodiac will make for said merch.

    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    furious Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Spoiler: V5C4-C6
    Show
    Raven: Complains about her family only wanting to see her when they want something.

    Can teleport to her ex-husband, brother, and daughter whenever she wants and has frequently been around her daughter without saying anything or visiting.

    Stop playing the martyr, Raven. It's just gonna make me laugh when Team RWYONJRQ kicks your whole clan's ass to secure the Spring Maiden.

    Observation: The revelation that Raven could have visited at any time and never did must have killed any desire Yang had to find and recconect with her. That's not just normal child abandonment. That's the earning five Gold Medals at the dead-beat parent Olypics.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-11-25 at 02:22 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Sigh, I know this all to well, sorry if I came off rude when I was trying to inquire earlier. But yeah similar style of broke for me, so nothing like this will be under my tree (in a self bought fashion).





    Part of me sees this now as a challenge, surely something of RWBY merch exist that LaZodiac will see as having taste and is nice, and not going to make her cringe. Something she will say I may not be full of pride or think I want that, yet she will still appreciate it and say that is not bad.

    That said if I were to think of most RWBY merch and whether LaZodiac would appreciate it, this is the face I think LaZodiac will make for said merch.

    I mean I like statuettes, it's just that all the RWBY ones are fairly low quality looking at them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: V5C4-C6
    Show
    Raven: Complains about her family only wanting to see her when they want something.

    Can teleport to her ex-husband, brother, and daughter whenever she wants and has frequently been around her daughter without saying anything or visiting.

    Stop playing the martyr, Raven. It's just gonna make me laugh when Team RWYONJRQ kicks your whole clan's ass to secure the Spring Maiden.

    Observation: The revelation that Raven could have visited at any time and never did must have killed any desire Yang had to find and recconect with her. That's not just normal child abandonment. That's the earning five Gold Medals at the dead-beat parent Olypics.
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Like I said. She's no Ragyo but she's a REALLY bad Mom.


    Sly Zodi by Cuthalion. It's time to do a crime.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: V5C4-C6
    Show
    Raven: Complains about her family only wanting to see her when they want something.

    Can teleport to her ex-husband, brother, and daughter whenever she wants and has frequently been around her daughter without saying anything or visiting.

    Stop playing the martyr, Raven. It's just gonna make me laugh when Team RWYONJRQ kicks your whole clan's ass to secure the Spring Maiden.

    Observation: The revelation that Raven could have visited at any time and never did must have killed any desire Yang had to find and recconect with her. That's not just normal child abandonment. That's the earning five Gold Medals at the dead-beat parent Olypics.
    Thoughts on Raven

    Spoilers up to Vol 5 Chapter 6

    Spoiler: Vol 5 Chapter 6, Raven
    Show

    So my opinion of raven is 1 of these 3 things but most likely a combination of all 3

    1) Raven is a badly written character.

    2) Raven is a Bad Mom ...just because.

    3) Raven has F.L.E.A.S. which stands for Frightening Lasting Effects of Abuse, with her being the abusee in her childhood and young adulthood and this leads to her having a real messed up world view and this influences her current actions as an adult and leads to stinkin thinking, and this makes her a character that lacks agency in the story and allows the story teller to use her as his own little puppet in the story to railroad the story in a way that does not make sense but the storyteller wants the story to go in this direction.

    So for the sake of argument lets say its 3 and not 1 even though I am confident it is 1. What type of situation would make a person like Raven? A person who is very absurd when it comes to family obligations, favors, wanting to watch people from afar and not have a relationship with your daughter since your daughter has been 1 yet you been bad mom stalking her?

    I think the answer to all of this is quite simple, a family that took advantage of her as a kid, treated her like an object, instilled a permanent sense of war and where existential survival is all about a child (not a teen or an adult) being able to provide X during a key moment in time and space. Aka you are creating a child solider, all the while taking the normal form of love and compassion a parent is supposed to have for their children. This seem to be denied to Raven and Qrow as well but how they view their childhood seems to be very different.

    To continue telling the story of Raven in a way that make sense, at the age of 14 to 16 she is entered into Vale Academy and she sees life can be different than this. She falls in love with a guy who is warm, like the sun, and is one of those "super giver" type personalities where he is effectively Mr. Rodgers mixed with some Captain America. Aka a superman type person not in superpowers, but he is kind, giving, and understands that people need to interact and be generous to one another, but in a more introverted way than Clark Kent / Superman who is a more of an extrovert.

    Then Ozpin and all get involved and at first Raven is all for this, but when she sees the horror of this it reminds her way too much of her child hood and she feels she traded one abusive family / parents for an even more creepy abusive family with Ozpin who uses emotional manipulation and he never dies and he reincarnates you and he wants to use people to fight in an endless war something that Raven has been trying to escape from her entire life.

    And then Raven gets pregnant and she runs away from it all. She runs away for she is afraid and she does not want to become the thing that she hates for she is afraid she will become the abusive parent that models the same types of behaviors onto her kid and she does not want to do this, but really its not about her kid and she is afraid of responsibility for responsibility always brought her pain for people use the words like duty and responsibility and the greater good and whenever these words occur she was the one who always had to pay the price, she was always the one who suffered.

    Now why return to the tribe and be the creepy stalking mom? Well because as much as she hates her fictional tribe parents / elders and Ozpin she actually agrees with them in many things and she can't reject the philosophy even though she is trying to reject them. She believe in strength and all that, and she feels you need to become like this or else other people will take advantage of you, you need to become strong. The thing she disagrees with is being involved in an endless war and thus she feels at home in an "anarchy type of state" that the bandit tribe naturally is. To her this is utopia, not because it is paradise on earth, but this is the closest thing you can get to paradise when the world is so messed up.

    Her being bad mom that always looks at her kid from afar allows her to protect said kid from the really scary things that could harm her baby before her baby is ready.
    Yet never communicating with her kid tells her kid that she need not expect her kid to rely on her or other people and that her kid needs to become strong in her own way and only trust her own two feet and two hands.

    Yeah this is STINKIN' THINKIN but if Raven had a childhood / teen / adult life like I describe to her mind the normal way of doing things never worked, she has no life experiences of them working, and thus why would she even try these "soft things" for trying these things require you to take a leap of faith and experience things that are so counter to your lived experienced.

    -----

    Now if this is Raven and her backstory, then she could be much better written with her dialogue and so on, but ath is the problem of Rooster Teeth and RWBY in a nutshell, lots of it is only the embodiment of throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks and then never develop it any further and hone your craft for you just do not have those talents, so they keep on throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2017-11-25 at 03:10 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Like I said. She's no Ragyo but she's a REALLY bad Mom.
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Until Raven tries to actively kill Yang, she doesn't rank as a bad mom to me, just an absent one.

    And it would be REALLY HARD to compare to Ragyo in the 'Bad Mom' department. That there is a record medal winning contestant there.


    Spoiler: V5C7
    Show
    This..is an odd chapter, you know those scenes of the Avenger's at Hawkeye's farm after getting brain-blasted? That's what this chapter feels like.

    Because an awful lot of it is just RWY+JNR hanging out and getting back in touch with one another, hanging out, and reconnecting. Its not bad but I'm starting to get impatient for something important to happen, which the end of the episode helps with...a little.

    We get lots of little interactions like Yang and Nora arm-wrestling just to find out Yang's arm is detachable, which Yang seems to find awfully funny...and in context so did I. Nora and Ruby both swoon over it too, which is surreal.

    Weiss talks about summoning the Boarbatusk at the ball with the others asking if she let the trophy wife have it, even if Nora doesn't believe it happened...either because she doesn't believe summoning exists or Weiss can summon boar grimm, its unclear but what is clear is that Weiss puts that debate to rest moments later by boar-spooking her.

    Jaune gets teased about being called Vomit Boy and Weiss being called Ice Queen and we find out Weiss is enjoying the camaraderie which no one expected. Leads to a 'deep' moment from Ren talking about how their past selves relate to their current ones and the gang joking that you can tell when Ren is enjoying himself because he gets deep.

    When Qrow shows up to complain about the noise with Oscar in tow, the mood gets more serious as Weiss and Yang confront Oscar.

    And before I get into that, there was another cute moment between Yang and Weiss.

    ----

    Plot wise Weiss and Yang get up to date on the whole magic, maiden, and Salem thing before Ozpin asks if that covers everything that Raven told them about to which Yang demands to know what Ozpin did to Raven and Qrow.

    That brings everyone up short and Ozpin admits that he didn't think Raven would talk about that, with subtly implies that he never intended to tell anyone that Qrow could become a bird. And Ozpin does confirm, that is what he did to them and defends his actions by saying they were offered the choice and they both accepted..I feel like we're still missing a piece of this story though.

    He also reveals that he invested that power inside of them and that yes, it is indeed a display of magic which he doesn't have much of less. Why's that? Because a long time ago he invested his power in four maidens hoping they would help people and that was the original four Maidens. So yes, Ozpin being the Wizard from the story is confirmed at long last. Still not really super surprising, but the fact that when he invests his power he doesn't seem to get it back (so long as the power is able to be passed on) is interesting and it raises questions.

    From the story of the maidens, the wizard had been in isolation and it was the maidens that drew him out of solitude and brought him back to the world. This means that for a decently large amount of time, the Wizard was just prepared to leave the world to whatever Salem wanted. That raises interesting questions all on its own, so while it isn't that much of a surprise, how it relates to the current story and prior ones make it more interesting. We also find out that the only ones that Ozpin mentions can turn into animals is Raven and Qrow because they were meant to be his eyes out in the world.

    Ozpin brings up the mission to assault Raven's camp is tomorrow and says this is the last chance people have to back out of it. Yang still seems unsure but when questioned about it makes it simple. If Ruby is going than so is she, because she trusts Ruby to do the right thing and will thus support her. But she also makes it clear that she's fed up with half-truths and Ozpin keeping secrets which could possibly be a point of contention soon because I still doubt that Ozpin's told them everything. Jaune also has another moment expressing that he doesn't trust Qrow and frankly I don't blame him. When it comes to trusting Qrow and Ozpin, I just don't. I trust that they're working to help people and doing the right thing, but I don't trust them to either be honest or not use people in that pursuit. Ozpin can feel sorry about it later but the people he's using and sending to their unknowing deaths (potentially) can't.

    -----------------

    The final scene promises something more exciting coming up soon because it goes back to Raven's camp as Mercury and Emerald approach and demand to come inside and talk to Raven. Bandit Pal(tm) is on guard duty and says he's going to take out his frustrations on the two for a really bad week but stops because he seems to recognize who else is approaching. 'Who' being Cinder and Watts themselves. Mercury tells her that Bandit Pal(tm), whose name is apparently Shady Mann (thanks credits!), isn't going to help them. Cinder replies that they'll just make the bandits help them then and Emerald whips out her scythe guns and approaches them as the scene cuts to black...

    Two things!

    One, Cinder, were you not paying attention to what Salem was telling you? Working with people can help more than brute force.

    Two, this makes me excited that we'll finally get some action next week! In fact...one way or another it seems like something has to happen next week. Because we're either going to get some villain time (which would be fun) and see Cinder dealing with/attacking Raven's camp. Or its going to cut back to Blake (which I suspect it will) and we'll get the White Fang assassination attempt on the #MarriageGoals. I don't mind laid back, character building episodes which is what this is but so far this season had lacked the action scenes or slowly building dread that Volume 4 had. With volume 4 we had Tyrian catching up to RNGR, the looming threat of the Nuckaleave, Weiss' family situation (including Ironwood's descent into becoming more of a dictator), and a growing White Fang threat in Menagerie to drive the tension.

    This season we have an attack on Raven's bandit camp and an attack on Haven. The former is being made out like a big thing but is hard to take as such considering how we've seen our heroes deal with mooks in the past and our poor understanding of how dangerous Maidens can be which just leaves Raven and Vernal to be afraid of. As for the attack on Haven, we have no idea if we're actually going to get to the attack on Haven this volume. Just recently we were told about the Belladonna assassination plot which helps, if you're worried about Ghira and Khali (which I am), but that was...five episodes into a twelvish episode volume?

    This isn't a heavy complaint because the character building and interactions have been fun and serve a purpose, fleshing out our characters after so long but you're used to a certain level of action and/or tension in RWBY that is currently lacking at the moment. Things have been picking up now but where Volume 4 felt kind of meandering, Volume 5 feels laidback and relaxed...which...is a nice change of pace from the tension of Volume 3 and the depression of Volume 4 but I'm missing the action right now.


    Despite the above, I do like this chapter and the reveal feels more important than the last one we got which is helpful. Plus there is a lot of 'things are should be getting real by the next chapter' signs...which makes me happy...unless we don't get that, in which case I'll be a little miffed.

    As for RWBY merch..

    I do own the first 3 Volumes on Blu-Ray and I'd love to acquire some statues or decorations I could put up in my room but I can't swing that sort of thing right now with how tight money is.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    "These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Thoughts on Raven

    Spoilers up to Vol 5 Chapter 6

    Spoiler: Vol 5 Chapter 6, Raven
    Show

    3) Raven has F.L.E.A.S. which stands for Frightening Lasting Effects of Abuse, with her being the abusee in her childhood and young adulthood and this leads to her having a real messed up world view and this influences her current actions as an adult and leads to stinkin thinking, and this makes her a character that lacks agency in the story and allows the story teller to use her as his own little puppet in the story to railroad the story in a way that does not make sense but the storyteller wants the story to go in this direction.

    So for the sake of argument lets say its 3 and not 1 even though I am confident it is 1. What type of situation would make a person like Raven? A person who is very absurd when it comes to family obligations, favors, wanting to watch people from afar and not have a relationship with your daughter since your daughter has been 1 yet you been bad mom stalking her?

    I think the answer to all of this is quite simple, a family that took advantage of her as a kid, treated her like an object, instilled a permanent sense of war and where existential survival is all about a child (not a teen or an adult) being able to provide X during a key moment in time and space. Aka you are creating a child solider

    And then Raven gets pregnant and she runs away from it all. She runs away for she is afraid and she does not want to become the thing that she hates for she is afraid she will become the abusive parent that models the same types of behaviors onto her kid and she does not want to do this, but really its not about her kid and she is afraid of responsibility for responsibility always brought her pain for people use the words like duty and responsibility and the greater good and whenever these words occur she was the one who always had to pay the price, she was always the one who suffered.

    Now why return to the tribe and be the creepy stalking mom? Well because as much as she hates her fictional tribe parents / elders and Ozpin she actually agrees with them in many things and she can't reject the philosophy even though she is trying to reject them.

    -----

    Now if this is Raven and her backstory, then she could be much better written with her dialogue and so on.
    Spoiler: V5E6
    Show
    It doesn't make much sense that Raven would flee while pregnant and embrace her hated paraents philosophy, only to abandon her kid back to Taiyang and let her be soft, but then you really don't give Rooster Teeth a lot of credit.

    However, your story about how Raven abandoned Ozpin doesn't track with the facts. The photo of team STRQ shows them as young adults rather than 14-16 years old, and first year Beacon starts at seventeen (I think Raven may have mentioned being younger but they likely spent several years with their team before breaking up). Raven is also said to leave after Yang is born.

    I think you grasp certain basic truths: Raven was a child soldier sent to Beacon, she certainly has a survivor mentality and she left to embrace her bandit tribe. However, you suggest Raven ran away because she was emotionally troubled by her pregnancy, and self-centered. Instead, Raven herself suggests she left because she was disillusioned by Ozpin, and self-centered.

    Raven never speaks a word of resentment or hatred against her parents or the bandits, in fact, she seems to think they represent the rational response to the dark world she lives in.

    It makes more sense to say that Raven, already messed up by her childhood, felt safe and at home, briefly, at Beacon, and then grew disillusioned with Ozpin when things got dangerous and people died. We don't know exactly what happened, but we know the team broke up and Raven left soon after Yang was born, and that Summer raised Yang for years before she died, so it was not Summer's death that triggered Raven's exit.

    I don't see why we shouldn't take Raven at her word and say she left because she got disillusioned with Ozpin and felt like she was lied to. Leaving Yang with Taiyang may simply be because, as we know, he is clearly the better parent, or Raven may actually have mixed feelings about the bandits and her own childhood.

    I don't think I disagree with you on many points, but its clear that Raven has a different history than the one you paint, and its not clear she hates her abusers, recognize her childhood as abuse, and she certainly didn't ran away from her problems because she was pregnant.

    I think there are elements of all of what you say about Raven's personality, but they play out as Raven has it: she became disillusioned, decided her bandit ways were better, and she left Yang with Taiyang because 1) mixed feelings about what she is doing and a vague sense Yang would get a better childhood with Taiyang despite the sentiment running against her childhood or 2) Raven is simply a self-centered person.

    I'm thinking, perhaps hoping, that Raven's impression of being self-centered is just a cover for some truly mixed sentiments about her way of life and she disconnected from her daughter because of she honestly doesn't know why.



    Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Until Raven tries to actively kill Yang, she doesn't rank as a bad mom to me, just an absent one.

    And it would be REALLY HARD to compare to Ragyo in the 'Bad Mom' department. That there is a record medal winning contestant there.
    Spoiler: Stalker Mom is a Bad Mom
    Show
    At the risk of ruining the purity of my position. Raven is a bad mom. Letting your kid think you abandoned them, and then watch over them in secret for no good reason, doesn't just make Raven absent. She was, in fact present and purposely hiding from Yang. This is why I label her Stalker Mom.

    I think Raven has a reason, but I think the reason is that Raven is pretty screwed up herself and covers it up by being an arrogant domineering dictator, with a tendency to belittle others to make herself feel better. Wait that sounds vaguely familiar...

    Anyway, point in favor: Raven probably saved Yang from that grimm attack when she was a child by grabbing Qrow, and that might not have been the time she saved Yang's life. Of course, protective behavior is actually pretty common of stalkers...

    So I think Raven is likely going to rejoin team Ozpincar because of Yang at some point.


    Spoiler: S5E7 and S5E8 speculation
    Show
    Based on the way Cinder is going into the bandit camp, maybe there won't be much of a bandit side for Raven by the time Cinder leaves.

    On the other hand, Cinder simply seems to be entering by using "the Yang knock" so maybe Cinder will parley the way she was ordered to.

    Either way, neutrality doesn't seem to be likely an option for Raven by this time next week.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-11-25 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Bad joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    @ Callos:
    Spoiler: V5 E7
    Show
    Oh I get it.

    Qrow and Raven were supposed to be Hugin and Munin to Ozpin's Odin! except that didn't work out.

    is Salem then Hel? who is Loki? is Ozpin and Salem the two gods of light and dark, and Qrow just doesn't know that the god of darkness was female this whole time? Or does she simply reincarnate in bodies like him and their genders change with whom they end up in? at least we know Nora is Thor.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 20!



  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    Like I said. She's no Ragyo but she's a REALLY bad Mom.
    Spoiler: V5C6
    Show
    That's not really a fair comparison--of course the woman who experiments on and rapes her children is a worse mother than the one who just abandons them.

    She's also a different kind of bad mother--that's abuse, with Raven we're talking neglect.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here.

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Reddish Mage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Place of Great Chi
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Spoiler: S5E7
    Show
    So on rewatch, no one other than Yang expressed any suspicion or skepticism regarding what Ozpin said. Someone mentioned that Juane expressed some sort of problem, and I canít find it.

    This episode was enjoyable. However, if you removed this episode entirely from the season I doubt you would lose anything in regards to the plot. Most of the episode was the gang reflecting on their growth and prior exploits. Moreover all Ozpin did was repeat what we already knew for the new people and its predictable that Yang would express some suspicion of Ozpin.

    Cinder didnít choose to come in peacefully, but that should be pretty clear the next time we see her and her gang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

    Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Spoiler: V5C7 - Rest and Resolutions
    Show
    Whoa, we learnt a lot this chapter. Well, a lot that we already suspected, but now it's confirmed.

    Biggest one being that Ozpin is indeed the farmer from the story, as we all suspected. This means that the person who created the maidens, was also ok with trying to bypass the maiden transferral process via technology.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2012

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Spoiler: V5C7 - Rest and Resolutions
    Show
    Whoa, we learnt a lot this chapter. Well, a lot that we already suspected, but now it's confirmed.

    Biggest one being that Ozpin is indeed the farmer from the story, as we all suspected. This means that the person who created the maidens, was also ok with trying to bypass the maiden transferral process via technology.
    Spoiler: V5C7
    Show
    As far as I can remember, Oz wasn't fully okay with the idea of the transfer via technology, even agreeing with Pyrrah about it being terrible, but accepted that it was the only card they had left in their hand that had any chance of working, and not to play it would, with almost complete certainty mean that Cinder would have ended up with the power.


    Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Spoiler: V5C7
    Show
    As far as I can remember, Oz wasn't fully okay with the idea of the transfer via technology, even agreeing with Pyrrah about it being terrible, but accepted that it was the only card they had left in their hand that had any chance of working, and not to play it would, with almost complete certainty mean that Cinder would have ended up with the power.
    Spoiler: V5C7 - Rest and Resolutions
    Show
    I mean, if Ozpin had said this isn't happening, it wouldn't have happened. He might not have been completely comfortable with it, but he had to give his ok for it to proceed.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Calemyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Land of Stone and Stars

    Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

    Spoiler: V5C5 - Exemplars
    Show
    I feel the need to point out that Blake was not suggesting that her "one word" thing was meant to define the character, but to define the trait. Purity doesn't define Ruby, but if you want to see a prime example of purity, you look at Little Red Riding Hood. Yang isn't strength itself but, if you wanted to learn about strength, she'd be the textbook you'd study. You want to see defiance in action, watch Weiss when she's drawn a line in the sand. You want to see spite spelled out in all it's nerve-cringing "glory", just listen to Adam's temper tantrums. Blake is not trying to reduce her friends (and enemies) to one word traits, she's trying to hold them up as exemplars of those traits. It can be difficult to see a difference, I admit, but it's all about what is defining what. To Blake, it's not purity that defines Ruby, but Ruby that defines purity.

    Ruby is a silly, caring, weapon-loving little badass with a never-say-die attitude and some unexpected maiden-slaying power. The best example of purity you're going to find is Ruby. She's also an excellent example of social anxiety disorder, crippling over-specialization, and the difficulties of being immature and a prodigy at the same time (AKA Doogie Howser Syndrome). She can be all these things without being any less of an exemplar for purity.

    And, whatever else I might be, I am an exemplar for nonsense wrapped in long-winded prose.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Spoiler: V5C7 - Rest and Resolutions
    Show
    I mean, if Ozpin had said this isn't happening, it wouldn't have happened. He might not have been completely comfortable with it, but he had to give his ok for it to proceed.
    Spoiler: V5C7 - Choice
    Show
    That's kind of the point, I think. His gambit with Pyrrha was something he had to do, no matter how much he didn't want to, because every other option was so much worse. He clearly felt horrible about it, to the point that he needed Pyrrha's confirmation before he could bring himself to flip the switch, but he still needed to do it. Now we know a bit more why, as he's responsible for what the Maidens have done (which, if Vernal and Cinder are any indication, isn't always rosy) and he knows what it's like to have outside sentience absorb into yours - an experience he didn't want to inflict on Pyrrha despite the necessity.


    Spoiler: V5C7 In General
    Show
    This is what, I believe, is called a breather episode, which is good because the fan is about to become awfully smelly.

    It's not an exciting episode, to be sure, but I think it's well earned. The 6 kids collected have been through hell and this is the first time they've really been able to enjoy each other's company. Everybody has grown and it's acknowledged, and it feels like they're a team of six now rather than back into two teams of three.

    I like the fact that Yang outright acknowledges that she's a hothead and trusts to her sister's judgment. It's a bit of personal realization and growth, even if that kind of dependence is a little troubling. I like how Weiss is called out for actually warming up to being called "Ice Queen", indicating that she's just too happy that she's with her friends again to even care about that anymore.


    Spoiler: Post-V5C7 Predictions
    Show

    As for predictions, I'm going to bet that Cinder will walk in, wreck the place, and successfully recruit Vernal (maybe because she's a "free" Maiden like herself, maybe because Cinder is able to intimidate her). Raven will try to resist, but the conflict will bring the Grimm and guess what side they'll be on? Raven will die (or be forced to retreat, leaving most if not all of her tribe to die), possibly sealing Vernal's compliance. Team Alphabet Soup will arrive to a massacre site, and it will be a gut-blow to Yang, who saw her mother only days before and had nothing nice to say to her, admitting that she never thought Raven could actually lose. They figure out that Vernal has joined Salem (possibly because the chakram/gun isn't among the rubble), and rush back to Haven like mad because team WTCH now has everything they need for their attack.

    If Raven survives, she falls out of a portal in Patch, broken and bleeding. TaiYang runs to her side, trying his best to help her into the house and get medical aid without a single rebuke. Raven calls him an idiot, but (either by her broken voice or outright showing it) she is clearly crying.

    Meanwhile, Ilia does her job of distracting Blake, but the assassination fails because nobody ever takes Sun seriously. This is the biggest fight before Haven, with Sun and the Belladonnas working together to take out the assassins. Realizing Menagerie is a lost cause for the time being, the four head off to Haven to do their part.

    (My thoughts favor the Belladonnas surviving mainly for two reasons: a) we need more good parental examples than TaiYang and b) they're a lot more fun to watch than Raven. Raven, for her part, has completed all the roles she's been set up for. She either has to evolve or die at this point.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2017-11-27 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M'aiq the Liar
    The Wood Elves are not made of wood and the Sea Elves are not made of water. M'aiq still wonders about the High Elves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •