New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Spoiler: V6 E3 Gods' Punishment
    Show
    So it appears the gods are really punishing Salem for disrespecting them. We aren't told that they are perfect beings, quite the opposite. At least the God of Light is consistent in wanting Salem punished for not taking his answer of "you can't mess with the barrier of life and death."

Here's the twist though. After saying this, after Salem lead a warband against the gods, after wiping out humanity, the god of light finally resurrects Ozma, essentially fulfilling Salem's initial request! This after he lectures about how such would violate the delicate balance of life and death!

Of course, what he does is turn Ozma immediately against Salem by warning him not to approach her and giving Ozma a mission that light-god already indicated he knows that Salem will oppose. So why is Ozma, who is uniquely unqualified due to a conflict of interest he alone possesses, given the task of up-lifting humanity so that the gods may return? Also, why does lightgod, concerned enough about the world he created to allow Salem to basically act as Remnant's version of the devil,
    Show
    There's a very important line immediately prior to the gods departure where they say something allow the lines of 'this experiment has failed.' This comment has massive implications for what's really going on. The thrust of it is that the gods have created world after world - perhaps hundreds or thousands of times - in the hope of balancing the agreement between the two of precisely and getting the world they want. As such, leaving the world and writing it off is no big deal to them, they've done it countless times before, and the light god doesn't care about breaking the pre-established rules about the balance of life and death, because they've already terminated the experiment.

However, they explicitly choose to wait before pulling the plug. No specific reason for this is given, perhaps they just want to monitor how the free-standing processes they've put into place unfold and will come back later to collect all the data. This is analogous to developers pulling support from a massively multiplayer game but letting a server to remain stable for a prolonged period of time. In fact, the move to resurrect Ozma can be seen as an analogy to promising a fanbase renewed support if they somehow fix problems with the game and restore the player base. This almost never happens - and the light god doesn't seem to give Ozma good odds - but if letting the world continue to run doesn't require any resources, why wouldn't you?

So the gods are very much messing around and breaking their rules prior to their departure just to see what happens. They're continuing to run the simulation post-failure condition just to see if something cool might happen. This is all quite reminiscent of the plot of Beast Wars - in which the alien Vok terminated their planet-scale experiment following unexpected interference, but just couldn't resist tweaking with it afterwards.

Show
    Other questions include: If humanity was all destroyed, how did they arise again
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    (I'm guessing lightgod's pond btw, unless its related to dust)
    ? What is dust (ok that seems pretty obvious)
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    moonrock mixed with the essence of the departing gods, who couldn't be bothered to swerve on their way out
    ? Finally, why are there Faunus?

Show
    It is not at all clear how much time passes between the god's departure and Ozma's return to remnant. After all, god time need not bear any resemblance to mortal time. It could in fact be millions of years. It could also be much less. The godpools seem to imply that Remnant features spontaneous generation of not only Grim, but also ordinary animals of increasing advancement (ie. in the divine image). The gods may have previously agreed on humans only, but as the world continued unmanaged, all sorts of animals may have encountered the pool and gradually evolved into human-like forms.

The spontaneous generation aspect might also explain why Salem is just sitting around metaphorically twiddling her thumbs. To use the MMO comparison - the life of the world continually respawns. Salem has a lot of power - she's max level, has been granted invincibility by the admins, and has access to a high-power skill set (magic) that has otherwise been removed from the game - but none of that is enough for her to wipe the whole server by herself. She might very well have murdered the world several times, only to realize that it ultimately achieves nothing. It is only when Ozma reveals that the gods will return to ultimately pull the plug that her motive returns.

I mean, that's a big part of the ultimate reveal here. The actual fate of Remnant is in mortal hands only insofar as they can convince the gods what choice to make on the day of judgment. Everything else is ephemeral. Also, advantage lies with Salem - in order to win, she only has to maintain the status quo.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

"Sigh, this is just frustrating" he says.

Welcome to RWBY.

------

Anyway hey I'm gonna do this now. Episode 2

Episode 2: Uncovered (Guess Who's Back)

Spoiler: C2V6
    Show
    The animation of Qrowe getting that book flopped on his face is one of the worst bits of animation this show has had and I'm genuinely impressed they decided to keep it in the thing you see at the start of the episode.

This episode is brought to you by the little F, which stands for "let Zodi say **** I can't believe they brought back Cinder".

Look, before we even...get into ANYTHING here...Cinder was so unbelievable overpowered by Raven what's the point? What threat does she have? She was beaten soundly, and seems to have really suffered no consequences for it because hey, she fell in water apparently. Because falling in water from a high place fixes everything right? But yeah, look...even though I didn't want Cinder TO BE DEAD, so she could get an actual fight with Ruby where Ruby can show she's grown...going back on what was a PRETTY DEFINITIVE DEATH is kind of bad. If you're gonna fake us out like this, at least have the end of the episode last season tease it instead of showing us Adam. Or you know, hint at it in any of the other places they showed Adam doing anything so far. And don't fake us out in the opening with Roman's hat, that's just rude.

Like, let's think about it this way. One of the Big Things of last season was, oh man look at Emerald showing she's getting way stronger because of Cinder having died, clearly her weird ****ty minions cared a lot about her, how is that going to affect things with Salem? But now that Cinder's alive I guess none of that's really going to matter is it? Also again, we are once again shown how literally nothing in this series is more fatal than Adam's stupid edgelord katana and Penny's team killing ropes. Nothing kills anyone in this series except for annoying piss baby and robot wives. You can impale a man full of giant rocks and magical bee stingers, you can wedge a man's arm between a mountain and a high speed train, you can get in a huge train crash from the front car of said train, you can get sliced a ton and then frozen ****ing solid and dropped so far down into a pit that the pit becomes black and there's no sound when you hit...you can do all that and live. But get stabbed by one baby man and you're a dead ****er. This is infuriating.

Like I mean really, she HAS CHUNKS OF ICE STICKING OUT OF HER. SHE SHOULD BE HAVING THE WORST TIME. Yeah, she's clearly not doing so hot, but the fact that she lives at all is honestly just incredibly stupid. And the only reason she probably doesn't die in the...rocky shore she washed up is because she slammed the ground and it exposed a cliff opening somehow?! Also apparently the actual place she fell off is close enough she can just SEE IT from down in her little pit. Okay. Sure. FINE. Whatever. ****ing nonsense.

She escapes her fate by, waterlogged and in such pain that she apparently can't stand...punching her way through rocks. Which I should note...given this place is underneath the school, in the center of Haven, means she's...not really got anywhere to GO?! Like, where the **** IS THIS ANYWAY?!! Judging from the outside it's the area where Adam ran past later, but it's raining now for some reason (the narrative reason is because it matches her mood but there was no rain during this scene when it actually happened the last time we saw it so what gives?).

And then a kindly lady sees Cinder, ****ed up with bruises and her giant nasty grimm arm (that I recall being sliced off but I don't recall specificly) comes to help. She does at least express the correct level of "what the ****???" to her arm though. She is then probably killed by Cinder, and we cut over to our heroes meeting...with Qrowe, before the train trip. Because they decided to flashback a bit more since why the **** not.

So, annoying thing. Last episode they gave Ozpin an echo when he was in control so we could more easily tell he was. This episode he does not have it. Anyway, they ask him what the Relic of Knowledge is and...it suddenly grows very large very suddenly and very stupidly. You don't have to make it so BIG. It can be small! Anyway it's google. You ask it a quesiton and it gives you an answer. But you can only ever use it three times every one hundred years, and it can't predict the future.

So it's virtually useless beyond very specific cases. I can see why you went to such trouble to find it.

Nora is not funny.

And hey, at least they answer why they don't just use it. It was already used at some vague time ago. Given it's power is ENTIRELY neutral and not evil or good, just decently useful, they'd have to do that to explain why they don't just use it's power for their side.

So at what point during ANY of that did he NOT have time to say "also Grimm are attracted to it". ****ing Ozpin.

Back to the current day, with Grandma Katara!

Maria Calvara.

Okay so...I am conflicted about this design. Because on the one hand it's a really good ****ing design. Like it is. Her name is **** but the design is actually really good. The problem is I don't...really know if it should be a thing. Dia de los Meurto's imagery is...not a thing that should really be used lightly? Even if it does look dope as hell. It'd be like if you designed a character named Heyzeus Everychapel and had him dressed like a nativity scene. It's not...actually very cool. But I don't really have a place to speak to it here, I'm not Mexican and it isn't my place to say whether it's bad or not. I've heard some people say the mainstreaming of the Day of the Dead is good, some have said it's bad. Regardless, what matters is if the character is well executed and isn't disrespectful. I don't believe they'll succeed at that, due to prior knowledge of RT and how they operate just in general, but we'll see. That aside her design is really good.

I don't like her as a character so far though. She's an old lady in an anime so she's gruff and rude but has a sweet spot to her and Is Old.

Everyone, thankfully, and rightfully, rips on Ozpin for being a ****ing **** heel. **** head pulls the "i did not lie to you" gambit because, he did not lie OR tell a half truth...he just didn't tell ANY TRUTH, which is neither of those things. Leaving out truth is not lie or half lie. **** you Ozpin. He insists it's not the time and BITCH YOU'RE IN THE SNOOOOOW. IT'S WELL THE TIME!

Ozpin explains that telling them would have just made them worry more, so it's clearly the best option. If it were ANYONE else, this would sound believable. Understandably, absolutely no ****ing one is cutting Ozpin ANY slack for this AT ALL, in and out of universe, as is proper. You stupid mother****er. He then goes off a bit, due to Yang's prodding, about how lying to Haven was good as well, and how not muddying Lionheart's reputation was good as well since all that good he did shouldn't be weighed unbalanced by the evil he did at the end.

This is a REALLY good discussion, ruined by the fact that the person on one side of it is THE ****ING BRAIN PARASITE WIZARD WHO STEALS BODIES AND LIES ABOUT EVERYONE FOREVER. He is...the absolute worst, and the fact that he's taking an honestly KINDA reasonable position here is frustrating because he's a ****ing moron who is Always Wrong. And honestly, the end result of this discussion, at least for me, is that I don't think hiding everything under a band aid helps in the long run, and that ****ING YES, Lionheart tripping before the finish line SHOULD reflect negativitly on everything he's done, he RUINED EVERYTHING!!! All that good he did is not erased JUST because he did a bad thing, he did still do those good things. But a lot of those good things are now ACTUALLY LITERALLY ERASED because of the consequences of his "missteps" and that is NOT UNAVOIDABLE AS TRUE.

Of course since RT isn't interested in having interesting conversations Yang mentions that whatever he tells them, they will still be on his side, and Ozpin gets upset because, do we really think Lionheart was the first person to betray him to Salem like this? And I feel nothing because...my dude. You lie to everyone. You're a horrifying brain parasite wizard who STEALS BODIES. Unwillingly, but YOU DO. And you hide everything FROM EVERYONE. You kinda...court traitors dude. You sleep in the bed you make.

Ozpin says that his experiences of keeping his secrets and getting betrayed means he knows better, but again he's someone who routinely courts traitors with his every act, his only experience seems to be with attracting people with promises of hope and then them discovering underneath the bandaid he put on them was a festering wound that he did not tell them about. And yes, sure, maybe he told someone straight up about it once and it causes problems. Have you considered the fact that you're a horrible brain wizard is why people betray you, not because you tell them the truth they don't want? This is my problem with this massive discussion, Ozpin is written to be this character who has to be Always Wrong since he's such a ****ed up concept and a ****ty person, so nothing really works?

Finally someone realizes no one...went to pick up the relic, but thankfully Ruby is the only smart character in this show (some ****ing how????) and has the relic. And she brings up...the big big point I'm making. Ozpin talks this big game about trusting humanity and having faith and about how oh everyone is good and great. But he still won't trust them. Even though they've helped him through all the lies, all the half truthes, all the bird wizardry. Because Ozpin is Always Wrong and A **** Up.

Further things are brought up, like Ozpin insisting he carry the relic despite it being powerless at the moment, and our heroes call him on it because...****ing FINALLY. He reaches out and insists they give it to him and...Oscar breaks through and, through grit teeth, begs them not to him it, warns them he's trying to **** with them, that he's...you know, Ozpinning at them.

I ****ing told all of you. If Oscar has to exert that much effort to regain his own body, Ozpin is not just going to fade away into his mind. It's the opposite. Ozpin is going to overlay on him. He is the brain parasite wizard oversoul who steals bodies throughout time. He's a ****ing monster who should not be trusted. He deserves everything he complained about. You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Oscar then says "her name is Djinn" and okay sure fine what the **** ever. Make the genie in the bottle of knowledge be called Djinn. Fine. Do whatever the piss you want RT. I can't wait to see more annoying answers to questions I don't care about whenever this gets revealed.

Ruby speaks Djinn's name and, surprise surprise, the wizard LIED AGAIN. The orb of knowledge is not used up. Djinn is summoned, and she's a big dumb naked blue lady because of course she is.

Hey look, the counterpoint to Maria Calvara. A ****ty, kinda racist character design as opposed to a great, potentially squiggly character design. And she's got the golden chains from that one statue lady in Haven. And she sounds real weird!

Hey remember when this series was about magic potentially from the moon rocks that gave you super powers if you ground them up into juice and fed it to your gun?

Leaving us off on that...unbelievable ****ing out of nowhere tangent, and return to the awful part of the episode, because even the big blue titty genie is probably not as bad as Cinder still being alive but honestly the series is so off the ****ing rails at this point I cannot really tell.

Are we going to just ignore that Cinder stole that girl's clothing after killing her? It's a good thing blood only exists if you're Adam.

Look I know animating clothing being taken on or off is really really hard, but Cinder flipping that hood up sucked so much.

Anyway she walks off into the crowd and...end episode? Because that seems like a great place to end an episode, with the cliffhanger of Cinder alive and the big blue titty genie. But instead it continues, because why would...RT ever know what pacing is. They had a half minute episode once.

Cinder sees a mysterious spiderweb tattoo because apparently we've decided we're Hunter x Hunter now. I recently had a realization that HXH is actually the exact same feeling, emotionally, to me, as this series. Both are good ideas utterly wasted, but whereas RWBY wastes them by being ludicrously stupid and unbelievably broken and off the rails, HXH wastes them by overexplaining simple topics and reveling in what can only truly be described as the ultimate anti climax where nothing happens and nothing matters, and it's all just unbelievably dull no matter how many chances I give it.

So I guess you're in good company RWBY fans. Your series gets the same reactions from me as a good series does.

Anyway the spiderweb tattoo is SUPER OBVIOUS so if these guys are secret mercenary bad men it's...not workin' out so hot.

I hate these spiderweb people but credit where it's due: a female modal that isn't the exact same body type as everyone else. She's a strange random cowgirl in the middle of fantasy china but ****ing whatever, if I can accept that in The Man With The Iron Fists I can accept it here.

Little Miss Malachite. Jesus Cinder stop running into precious metals already it's becoming a thing with you. It really shouldn't be a thing with you.

Lady please. Cinder can't NOT talk like that. She sounds very sarcastic and upset at you but she's actually really depressed, this is just how she sounds.

There's some talk about how, ooh the mysterious cowgirl spy assassin lady used to be afraid of spiders so now she made the spiders work for her, cause the world needs spiders, and this is the most basic anime **** I could write in my sleep. This is so uninteresting. Who caaares! WHO CAAAAAAAAARES?!

Oh hey, something EVEN REMOTELY INTEREESTING. Little Miss Malachite (who is Miss Muffet based by the way welcome to MY SPECIAL HELL) already talked to "that big guy" about team RWBY a week ago, and is actually ****ing with everyone to get more money. Cinder walks back towards the crowds and fades away again, leaving us with the end of the episode. Except not because we return to the big blue titty lady.

Djinn is, surprise surprise, related to the base ass God of Light we heard about last season. She was made by the God of Light to provide knowledge. Blah blah. Ozpin tries tot get her to stop talking but even god genies don't respect the brain wizard.

Ruby, correctly, asks for her to explain what Ozpin is hiding. Ozpin flips and manages to break Oscar's control, and attacks Ruby! But Ruby gets teleported to the knowledge zone so she can be exposited at for probably the entirety of next episode I'd imagine.

Everyone else is also in the knowledge zone. Djinns starts the story with "once upon a time" because MY ****ING ASS. This is going to be A THING aint it. She talks about a sad girl in a lonely tower, and it's Salem before she got all monstered up.

AND THAT'S IT! THOOOOUGHTS?!:
    Show
    ****ing teeeerrible hahahahaaaaaah what the HELL. We've gone ENTIRELY off the rails, nothing makes sense, death is meaningless and there's a giant blue titty lady who's going to vomit background information on us next episode because RT does not know how to weave a narrative AT ALL, even after the guy who was so opposed to it sadly passed away.

Like I'm sorry, I REALLY am, I try to find the positive in everything if I can help t, but this was ****ing hilariously bad WHAT IS GOING OOOON?! Absolutely nothing we're about to see next episode is going to gel with basically ANYTHING we've seen before this isn't it? There's just no way. I can't say I HATED this though, it was ****ing HILARIOUS. It's so absurd! Nothing MATTERS and it's OKAY!

In all seriousness, if you like this show it's fine. You're allowed to like things. But wow things have taken such an IMMEDIATE turn.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ettin in the Playground

I am Ozpin The Great and Terrible. I am the Boy who has a Man behind the Curtain.

Trust me! for I gave you cookies.

Remember to trust the man who said this.

"Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

"I'll...keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge--to hone your craft and acquire new skills. And when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose – direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."

Trust this man!
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2018-11-13 at 10:52 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #934

I mean yes clearly Ozpin has always been a pretty evil ****er but going from "obviously dumbledorean figure" to "an actual brain stealing body snatcher wizard" is a pretty big step.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I mean yes clearly Ozpin has always been a pretty evil ****er but going from "obviously dumbledorean figure" to "an actual brain stealing body snatcher wizard" is a pretty big step.
    If I was Ruby or Oscar I would want to know far more about Hazel after the fight was over. That is the time to grill Ozpin for information for it was very personal and it was not information he already gave you.

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    If I was Ruby or Oscar I would want to know far more about Hazel after the fight was over. That is the time to grill Ozpin for information for it was very personal and it was not information he already gave you.
    God I completely ****ing forget a big part of that entire finale was the insane dad sticking magic rocks in his arms screaming about the absolutely justified point of Ozpin throwing children into a meat grinder.

I suppose our heroes just don't give a **** about the large dad.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-11-13 at 10:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

God I completely ****ing forget a big part of that entire finale was the insane dad sticking magic rocks in his arms screaming about the absolutely justified point of Ozpin throwing children into a meat grinder.

It is okay, I too blocked out most of the ending of Vol 5 of RWBY so I am now going to ask this question to you LaZodiac but also the other readers of GiantITP

Who was awake and present when Big Dad did his angry lightning fists of doom? Especially who was present of these 4 characters? Yang, Weiss, Blake, and Jaune since these are the 4 skeptical kids out of the 7 remaining alive kids.

Searching my memory (I can't recall how accurate these things are but my guesses.)

• Yang was she there for most of the fight? I can't recall how much time she was there with Angry Dad Hazel for she went after mom.
    • Weiss? She was at the start and end of the fight but I would not trust her memory due to being KO and thus her memory formation abilities for those few minutes / 1 hour may not be that good for her mind was in other places merely trying to stay alive. I do not trust her to be insightful and notice this guy is really mad at Ozpin and why.
    • Blake? She was there at the end of the fight but most of the time she was doing her own thing with Adam?
    • Jaune? He was there the whole fight but half of the time he was hyperfocused on saving Weiss?

I ask for these 4 characters have the most skeptical blood inside of them. All 4 of them have been betrayed / messed with / lied by the adults in their lives. It is not just having a skeptical nature, they have an experience that would teach them to not have unlimited trust.

But seriously after that one incident I as a kid would want more information but hey that is me

8. - Top - End - #938

Pretty sure all of them were up for it except Blake, who was not there at the time.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

It is okay, I too blocked out most of the ending of Vol 5 of RWBY so I am now going to ask this question to you LaZodiac but also the other readers of GiantITP

Who was awake and present when Big Dad did his angry lightning fists of doom? Especially who was present of these 4 characters? Yang, Weiss, Blake, and Jaune since these are the 4 skeptical kids out of the 7 remaining alive kids.
    Yang, JNR, Qrow were up. Ruby and Weiss were down, not necessarily unconscious, but otherwise occupied. Blake was absent.

10. - Top - End - #940

Oh, update on the RWBY manga.

The person who's set to be making it does not exist in any shape or form that the entire internet can find. Also their name changed to Kohei Kusu who is also someone that does not exist.

I'm not SAYING something of suspect is up, but it sure sounds like it.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

bulk respond for most of the comments.

Welcome to RWBY.

------

Show
    The animation of Qrowe getting that book flopped on his face is one of the worst bits of animation this show has had and I'm genuinely impressed they decided to keep it in the thing you see at the start of the episode.

This episode is brought to you by the little F, which stands for "let Zodi say **** I can't believe they brought back Cinder".

Look, before we even...get into ANYTHING here...Cinder was so unbelievable overpowered by Raven what's the point? What threat does she have? She was beaten soundly, and seems to have really suffered no consequences for it because hey, she fell in water apparently. Because falling in water from a high place fixes everything right? But yeah, look...even though I didn't want Cinder TO BE DEAD, so she could get an actual fight with Ruby where Ruby can show she's grown...going back on what was a PRETTY DEFINITIVE DEATH is kind of bad. If you're gonna fake us out like this, at least have the end of the episode last season tease it instead of showing us Adam. Or you know, hint at it in any of the other places they showed Adam doing anything so far. And don't fake us out in the opening with Roman's hat, that's just rude.

Like, let's think about it this way. One of the Big Things of last season was, oh man look at Emerald showing she's getting way stronger because of Cinder having died, clearly her weird ****ty minions cared a lot about her, how is that going to affect things with Salem? But now that Cinder's alive I guess none of that's really going to matter is it? Also again, we are once again shown how literally nothing in this series is more fatal than Adam's stupid edgelord katana and Penny's team killing ropes. Nothing kills anyone in this series except for annoying piss baby and robot wives. You can impale a man full of giant rocks and magical bee stingers, you can wedge a man's arm between a mountain and a high speed train, you can get in a huge train crash from the front car of said train, you can get sliced a ton and then frozen ****ing solid and dropped so far down into a pit that the pit becomes black and there's no sound when you hit...you can do all that and live. But get stabbed by one baby man and you're a dead ****er. This is infuriating.

Like I mean really, she HAS CHUNKS OF ICE STICKING OUT OF HER. SHE SHOULD BE HAVING THE WORST TIME. Yeah, she's clearly not doing so hot, but the fact that she lives at all is honestly just incredibly stupid. And the only reason she probably doesn't die in the...rocky shore she washed up is because she slammed the ground and it exposed a cliff opening somehow?! Also apparently the actual place she fell off is close enough she can just SEE IT from down in her little pit. Okay. Sure. FINE. Whatever. ****ing nonsense.

She escapes her fate by, waterlogged and in such pain that she apparently can't stand...punching her way through rocks. Which I should note...given this place is underneath the school, in the center of Haven, means she's...not really got anywhere to GO?! Like, where the **** IS THIS ANYWAY?!! Judging from the outside it's the area where Adam ran past later, but it's raining now for some reason (the narrative reason is because it matches her mood but there was no rain during this scene when it actually happened the last time we saw it so what gives?).

And then a kindly lady sees Cinder, ****ed up with bruises and her giant nasty grimm arm (that I recall being sliced off but I don't recall specificly) comes to help. She does at least express the correct level of "what the ****???" to her arm though. She is then probably killed by Cinder, and we cut over to our heroes meeting...with Qrowe, before the train trip. Because they decided to flashback a bit more since why the **** not.

So, annoying thing. Last episode they gave Ozpin an echo when he was in control so we could more easily tell he was. This episode he does not have it. Anyway, they ask him what the Relic of Knowledge is and...it suddenly grows very large very suddenly and very stupidly. You don't have to make it so BIG. It can be small! Anyway it's google. You ask it a quesiton and it gives you an answer. But you can only ever use it three times every one hundred years, and it can't predict the future.

So it's virtually useless beyond very specific cases. I can see why you went to such trouble to find it.

Nora is not funny.

And hey, at least they answer why they don't just use it. It was already used at some vague time ago. Given it's power is ENTIRELY neutral and not evil or good, just decently useful, they'd have to do that to explain why they don't just use it's power for their side.

So at what point during ANY of that did he NOT have time to say "also Grimm are attracted to it". ****ing Ozpin.

Maria Calvara.

Okay so...I am conflicted about this design. Because on the one hand it's a really good ****ing design. Like it is. Her name is **** but the design is actually really good. The problem is I don't...really know if it should be a thing. Dia de los Meurto's imagery is...not a thing that should really be used lightly? Even if it does look dope as hell. It'd be like if you designed a character named Heyzeus Everychapel and had him dressed like a nativity scene. It's not...actually very cool. But I don't really have a place to speak to it here, I'm not Mexican and it isn't my place to say whether it's bad or not. I've heard some people say the mainstreaming of the Day of the Dead is good, some have said it's bad. Regardless, what matters is if the character is well executed and isn't disrespectful. I don't believe they'll succeed at that, due to prior knowledge of RT and how they operate just in general, but we'll see. That aside her design is really good.

I don't like her as a character so far though. She's an old lady in an anime so she's gruff and rude but has a sweet spot to her and Is Old.

Everyone, thankfully, and rightfully, rips on Ozpin for being a ****ing **** heel. **** head pulls the "i did not lie to you" gambit because, he did not lie OR tell a half truth...he just didn't tell ANY TRUTH, which is neither of those things. Leaving out truth is not lie or half lie. **** you Ozpin. He insists it's not the time and BITCH YOU'RE IN THE SNOOOOOW. IT'S WELL THE TIME!

Ozpin explains that telling them would have just made them worry more, so it's clearly the best option. If it were ANYONE else, this would sound believable. Understandably, absolutely no ****ing one is cutting Ozpin ANY slack for this AT ALL, in and out of universe, as is proper. You stupid mother****er. He then goes off a bit, due to Yang's prodding, about how lying to Haven was good as well, and how not muddying Lionheart's reputation was good as well since all that good he did shouldn't be weighed unbalanced by the evil he did at the end.

This is a REALLY good discussion, ruined by the fact that the person on one side of it is THE ****ING BRAIN PARASITE WIZARD WHO STEALS BODIES AND LIES ABOUT EVERYONE FOREVER. He is...the absolute worst, and the fact that he's taking an honestly KINDA reasonable position here is frustrating because he's a ****ing moron who is Always Wrong. And honestly, the end result of this discussion, at least for me, is that I don't think hiding everything under a band aid helps in the long run, and that ****ING YES, Lionheart tripping before the finish line SHOULD reflect negativitly on everything he's done, he RUINED EVERYTHING!!! All that good he did is not erased JUST because he did a bad thing, he did still do those good things. But a lot of those good things are now ACTUALLY LITERALLY ERASED because of the consequences of his "missteps" and that is NOT UNAVOIDABLE AS TRUE.

Of course since RT isn't interested in having interesting conversations Yang mentions that whatever he tells them, they will still be on his side, and Ozpin gets upset because, do we really think Lionheart was the first person to betray him to Salem like this? And I feel nothing because...my dude. You lie to everyone. You're a horrifying brain parasite wizard who STEALS BODIES. Unwillingly, but YOU DO. And you hide everything FROM EVERYONE. You kinda...court traitors dude. You sleep in the bed you make.

Ozpin says that his experiences of keeping his secrets and getting betrayed means he knows better, but again he's someone who routinely courts traitors with his every act, his only experience seems to be with attracting people with promises of hope and then them discovering underneath the bandaid he put on them was a festering wound that he did not tell them about. And yes, sure, maybe he told someone straight up about it once and it causes problems. Have you considered the fact that you're a horrible brain wizard is why people betray you, not because you tell them the truth they don't want? This is my problem with this massive discussion, Ozpin is written to be this character who has to be Always Wrong since he's such a ****ed up concept and a ****ty person, so nothing really works?

Finally someone realizes no one...went to pick up the relic, but thankfully Ruby is the only smart character in this show (some ****ing how????) and has the relic. And she brings up...the big big point I'm making. Ozpin talks this big game about trusting humanity and having faith and about how oh everyone is good and great. But he still won't trust them. Even though they've helped him through all the lies, all the half truthes, all the bird wizardry. Because Ozpin is Always Wrong and A **** Up.

Further things are brought up, like Ozpin insisting he carry the relic despite it being powerless at the moment, and our heroes call him on it because...****ing FINALLY. He reaches out and insists they give it to him and...Oscar breaks through and, through grit teeth, begs them not to him it, warns them he's trying to **** with them, that he's...you know, Ozpinning at them.

I ****ing told all of you. If Oscar has to exert that much effort to regain his own body, Ozpin is not just going to fade away into his mind. It's the opposite. Ozpin is going to overlay on him. He is the brain parasite wizard oversoul who steals bodies throughout time. He's a ****ing monster who should not be trusted. He deserves everything he complained about. You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Oscar then says "her name is Djinn" and okay sure fine what the **** ever. Make the genie in the bottle of knowledge be called Djinn. Fine. Do whatever the piss you want RT. I can't wait to see more annoying answers to questions I don't care about whenever this gets revealed.

Ruby speaks Djinn's name and, surprise surprise, the wizard LIED AGAIN. The orb of knowledge is not used up. Djinn is summoned, and she's a big dumb naked blue lady because of course she is.

Hey look, the counterpoint to Maria Calvara. A ****ty, kinda racist character design as opposed to a great, potentially squiggly character design. And she's got the golden chains from that one statue lady in Haven. And she sounds real weird!

Hey remember when this series was about magic potentially from the moon rocks that gave you super powers if you ground them up into juice and fed it to your gun?

Leaving us off on that...unbelievable ****ing out of nowhere tangent, and return to the awful part of the episode, because even the big blue titty genie is probably not as bad as Cinder still being alive but honestly the series is so off the ****ing rails at this point I cannot really tell.

Are we going to just ignore that Cinder stole that girl's clothing after killing her? It's a good thing blood only exists if you're Adam.

Look I know animating clothing being taken on or off is really really hard, but Cinder flipping that hood up sucked so much.

Anyway she walks off into the crowd and...end episode? Because that seems like a great place to end an episode, with the cliffhanger of Cinder alive and the big blue titty genie. But instead it continues, because why would...RT ever know what pacing is. They had a half minute episode once.

Cinder sees a mysterious spiderweb tattoo because apparently we've decided we're Hunter x Hunter now. I recently had a realization that HXH is actually the exact same feeling, emotionally, to me, as this series. Both are good ideas utterly wasted, but whereas RWBY wastes them by being ludicrously stupid and unbelievably broken and off the rails, HXH wastes them by overexplaining simple topics and reveling in what can only truly be described as the ultimate anti climax where nothing happens and nothing matters, and it's all just unbelievably dull no matter how many chances I give it.

So I guess you're in good company RWBY fans. Your series gets the same reactions from me as a good series does.

Anyway the spiderweb tattoo is SUPER OBVIOUS so if these guys are secret mercenary bad men it's...not workin' out so hot.

I hate these spiderweb people but credit where it's due: a female modal that isn't the exact same body type as everyone else. She's a strange random cowgirl in the middle of fantasy china but ****ing whatever, if I can accept that in The Man With The Iron Fists I can accept it here.

Little Miss Malachite. Jesus Cinder stop running into precious metals already it's becoming a thing with you. It really shouldn't be a thing with you.

Lady please. Cinder can't NOT talk like that. She sounds very sarcastic and upset at you but she's actually really depressed, this is just how she sounds.

There's some talk about how, ooh the mysterious cowgirl spy assassin lady used to be afraid of spiders so now she made the spiders work for her, cause the world needs spiders, and this is the most basic anime **** I could write in my sleep. This is so uninteresting. Who caaares! WHO CAAAAAAAAARES?!

Oh hey, something EVEN REMOTELY INTEREESTING. Little Miss Malachite (who is Miss Muffet based by the way welcome to MY SPECIAL HELL) already talked to "that big guy" about team RWBY a week ago, and is actually ****ing with everyone to get more money. Cinder walks back towards the crowds and fades away again, leaving us with the end of the episode. Except not because we return to the big blue titty lady.

Djinn is, surprise surprise, related to the base ass God of Light we heard about last season. She was made by the God of Light to provide knowledge. Blah blah. Ozpin tries tot get her to stop talking but even god genies don't respect the brain wizard.

Ruby, correctly, asks for her to explain what Ozpin is hiding. Ozpin flips and manages to break Oscar's control, and attacks Ruby! But Ruby gets teleported to the knowledge zone so she can be exposited at for probably the entirety of next episode I'd imagine.

Everyone else is also in the knowledge zone. Djinns starts the story with "once upon a time" because MY ****ING ASS. This is going to be A THING aint it. She talks about a sad girl in a lonely tower, and it's Salem before she got all monstered up.
    well she is back but atleast she is kinda dedicating her remaining life to hunt the team ruby as old writers say how the mighty had fallen cinder kinda needs to fix her game asap or she looks like azula 2.0 with out decent credentials to make her the bad gal she is. hell if you look back two seasons she just losed her charm as big bad the monument salem introduced where she look like kitten who losed her tounge.

Show
    ****ing teeeerrible hahahahaaaaaah what the HELL. We've gone ENTIRELY off the rails, nothing makes sense, death is meaningless and there's a giant blue titty lady who's going to vomit background information on us next episode because RT does not know how to weave a narrative AT ALL, even after the guy who was so opposed to it sadly passed away.

Like I'm sorry, I REALLY am, I try to find the positive in everything if I can help t, but this was ****ing hilariously bad WHAT IS GOING OOOON?! Absolutely nothing we're about to see next episode is going to gel with basically ANYTHING we've seen before this isn't it? There's just no way. I can't say I HATED this though, it was ****ing HILARIOUS. It's so absurd! Nothing MATTERS and it's OKAY!

In all seriousness, if you like this show it's fine. You're allowed to like things. But wow things have taken such an IMMEDIATE turn.
    funny that at the last point of episode i remeber jinn was introducing salems past not our dimunitive katara. Plus give oscar some credit as kid kinda grows solid hunter grade spine as he was pulling his weight in fight and the whole counter possesing ozpin for few seconds to give girls first true plotline was good.
    do you really think that was that big of step . magic jar was 5th level wizard spell. He might have more levels in the wizard class. And turning something similar to him in dnd just requires craft wondrous item which 3rd level feat so pulling good old ozpin is something every wizard worth his or her salt can do with out sweat..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Zodi,

I'd like to come back and give your review the full treatment it deserves, but to me the fact that you started with Cinder surviving her...fall as being the epitome of everything that gone "off the rails" about this show is quite telling.

Cinder surviving is actually quite expected and about the most "on rails" thing that could have been done. When a major villain gets defeated by falling off-screen, it is a near-certainty they will be back.

This also gives us the opportunity to bring back the sullen, struggling Cinder of season 4, which is when she is at her most interesting. Season 5 showed Cinder didn't learn much from that opportunity and overreached by making a deal with Raven to go after RWBY. Its clear RT is going with a sympathy-for-the-villain approach with Cinder, and her own story is going to play out with her as a protagonist.

I have a few other things to detail. Your reading of Ozpin as literally "evil" is very much reading-in your own values into RWBY (as well as exaggerating what he's done) and not extracting the more nuanced picture we are being given. Also, regardless of whether Ozpin is a villain-in-disguise, an ally-anatagonist, or a flawed hero, it makes perfect sense for RWBY to literally seize control of the story from him at this point (even if Monty was writing I think he'd agree).

Until now, we have been watching the story unfold with little understanding of who Salem was, the origins of her power, exactly what her ultimate goal was, and why she actually wants the relics. That could work for awhile, but the mystery was obviously weighing on the narrative throughout volume 5. Now that the immediate threat is past, the beginning of Volume 5 is a good time to have RWBY challenge Ozpin and finally get the truth out of him. However, of the ways they could have told the narrative literal genie come in and reveal the story in full-animated glory works much better than the alternative: There's obvious reasons Ozpin in the morally ambiguous category which he would be taken out of if he suddenly gave up the story on being questioned.

Also, animating the story works much better than giving it as info-dump narrative, especially, as has been pointed out up-thread, the story works best as an origin myth rather than an explanation of past history.

Lastly, the genie finally gives us actual magic that is easily distinguished from the dust and aura abilities we have seen previously. I never saw the problem, but you, particularly, took a lot of issue with how magic looks the same as everything else we've seen. Well, a literal "Djin" out of a lamp is about as obvious as we could get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to come back and give your review the full treatment it deserves, but to me the fact that you started with Cinder surviving her...fall as being the epitome of everything that gone "off the rails" about this show is quite telling.

Cinder surviving is actually quite expected and about the most "on rails" thing that could have been done. When a major villain gets defeated by falling off-screen, it is a near-certainty they will be back.
    To be fair, the show did devote an entire song to Cinder's death. Its lyrics claim that this really, definitely, absolutely is where her story ends. So there's more reason than usual to expect her to be gone for good.

14. - Top - End - #944

Show
    Zodi,

This also gives us the opportunity to bring back the sullen, struggling Cinder of season 4, which is when she is at her most interesting. Season 5 showed Cinder didn't learn much from that opportunity and overreached by making a deal with Raven to go after RWBY. Its clear RT is going with a sympathy-for-the-villain approach with Cinder, and her own story is going to play out with her as a protagonist.

I have a few other things to detail. Your reading of Ozpin as literally "evil" is very much reading-in your own values into RWBY (as well as exaggerating what he's done) and not extracting the more nuanced picture we are being given. Also, regardless of whether Ozpin is a villain-in-disguise, an ally-anatagonist, or a flawed hero, it makes perfect sense for RWBY to literally seize control of the story from him at this point (even if Monty was writing I think he'd agree).

Until now, we have been watching the story unfold with little understanding of who Salem was, the origins of her power, exactly what her ultimate goal was, and why she actually wants the relics. That could work for awhile, but the mystery was obviously weighing on the narrative throughout volume 5. Now that the immediate threat is past, the beginning of Volume 5 is a good time to have RWBY challenge Ozpin and finally get the truth out of him. However, of the ways they could have told the narrative literal genie come in and reveal the story in full-animated glory works much better than the alternative: There's obvious reasons Ozpin in the morally ambiguous category which he would be taken out of if he suddenly gave up the story on being questioned.

Also, animating the story works much better than giving it as info-dump narrative, especially, as has been pointed out up-thread, the story works best as an origin myth rather than an explanation of past history.

Lastly, the genie finally gives us actual magic that is easily distinguished from the dust and aura abilities we have seen previously. I never saw the problem, but you, particularly, took a lot of issue with how magic looks the same as everything else we've seen. Well, a literal "Djin" out of a lamp is about as obvious as we could get.
    Show
    To be fair to me, I did lump in Cinder to the rest of the off the rails bit. It's not that off the rails, but honestly given how this series goes I couldn't tell one way or the other how Cinder being alive or dead would actually affect things so I just shoved it in there.

I don't think Cinder is going to learn from this either given she ate a girl and stole her clothing. Cinder is as Cinder does, they have shown she will not change because the instant she recovered from this she found evil Miss Muffet and paid her to find the kids for her. They have nothing interesting to say with Cinder, and making her sympathetic at all is inherently flawed.

I'll admit, Ozpin is probably not EVIL. He's very much an anti-villain, a well intentioned extremist. But the series has done absolutely nothing to convince me he isn't A BAD GUY in any significant fashion. Having him complain about people always betraying him when he's made a living out of lying and piling corpses into a meat grinder conflict he won't tell them all the details of is kind of nasty.

I do not believe in any stretch of imagination that the big titty genie is AT ALL the best way they could take us on a ride through the exposition dimension. How about, when Ozpin said "I will tell you everything, no more half truths" they make him MEAN it, so that he's not constantly and consistently shown to be a huge ****ing ******* that we're supposed to like just because.

I'm not asking for 24 minutes of Ozpin talking, GOD no his actor sucks, but a flashback would be fine. Show us a flashback. We can just imply he's telling them the truth, and you can have us believe it. If you really want to keep Ozpin as a mysterious lie man, do something GOOD with it. A great example of this would be Deltora Quest, which does some really interesting things with the flashbacks it has, that were VERY effective. There are ways you can have a mystery and have it pay off while still ensuring the viewer gets to hear it in a way that is fun. Big dumb out of nowhere boob lady not...not a good idea. Not fun.

And I mean NOT REALLY?? What is different about blue giant lady compared to Weiss's summons? There's still no real difference between anything. You could easily write that she's some kind of monster created from Dust and it'd work just as well. There's still no reason for Magic to exist and be entirely seperate from everything else, I feel. But I'll relent that yes, you could point to the relic as being a sign of magic...except she's NOT magic. She's a creation of the God of Light! So she's not technically Magic either, she's a universal concept created by the God of Light and shoved into a Relic.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-11-14 at 06:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

A great example of this would be Deltora Quest, which does some really interesting things with the flashbacks it has, that were VERY effective.
    Man, I loved those books. I should give them a re-read sometimes.

Spoiler: C2 V6 because there's no such thing as too much caution.
    Show
    But I'll relent that yes, you could point to the relic as being a sign of magic...except she's NOT magic. She's a creation of the God of Light! So she's not technically Magic either, she's a universal concept created by the God of Light and shoved into a Relic.
    Why would "created by a god" disqualify her as being magic. Wouldn't that make her even more magical? And how is she an universal concept?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-11-14 at 06:54 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #946

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Not Spoilered
    I'm talking about the anime specifically on that point, though I imagine the way the flashbacks are written also play into this.

Show
    I mean that's fair. I had just gotten back from shoveling a lot of snow so I wasn't 100% all there. I guess it just is like...BEYOND magic, if a God makes you? And I mean the idea of the relics is that the God of Light made them to represent those features and give and teach them to the world. We saw that in the first time this ever showed up in season 4 or something.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-11-14 at 06:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

So just double checking, we can talk about RWBY Vol 6 Chapter 2 without spoiler blocks now?

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

So just double checking, we can talk about RWBY Vol 6 Chapter 2 without spoiler blocks now?
    It has been three days since the free release.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

Pretty sure they don't since their only encounter with him was Hazel Unstoppable-Manning his way through Team JNR, Qrow, and Ozpin before applying unwilling electro-therapy to Nora.

I give RWBY props for not having the heroes try to understand the villains all the time, especially when it makes no sense. And Oscar, the one with the most interest in knowing, can just talk to Ozpin...as reliable as that is.

Welcome to RWBY.

------

Show

Nora is not funny.

Maria Calvara.

Show

Wow, I actually am caught by surprise by this reaction, I actually figured you'd enjoy this chapter guess I got to re-evaluate what I know of things you enjoy.

That said, the minor points that stuck out to me.

1: Cinder's arm wasn't sliced off, obviously, but even in the fight Cinder's arm wasn't removed..it was INJURED to make the point that Aura doesn't protect Cinder's grimm arm.

2: The problem with your idea of doing something with Ozpin's unreliable nature by having him be the one do the exposition is..he's unreliable. As we found out in this episode before Djinn appeared, even when he's promised to tell the truth he will still weasel out of telling the things he doesn't want to tell. (Also, minor spoiler, Ozpin legitimately doesn't know at least of quarter of what will be talked about in the next episode, so he can't be the narrator). An interesting thing to do is when Ozpin has to tell them about something and they refuse or deny listening to him because...why wouldn't they at this point? Cliched but its cliched because it WORKS.

3: What's different between Weiss' summons and Djinn? Djinn is sentient, for one, and knows everything except the future. That's a pretty massive difference there. And its something we've never seen Dust do at all, in fact what Dust does is pretty well defined even if we don't know all the kinds that exist. Now different from Semblances..? That's still on a different scale even if we've seen a grand total of a single Semblance, that is noted to be unique and rare (For several reasons) in Remnant.

4: There's been no indication that we are supposed to like Ozpin actually. Aside from the first three volumes where...we honestly don't see him much and even then he's painted in a grey light, but we see he places the safety of people above...well..even safe-guarding Beacon and the relic it contains. Honestly that's not much but we do know for a fact he is trying to safe the world, as it turns out though, he's just been burned enough by people that he's got some phenomenally bad methods to do it now.

5: You are awfully fixated on Djinn's boobs. ...no, that's it, don't have another point to make on this one. Don't know she's racist or terrible, but eh.

6: Pyrrha, Penny, Vernal, Leo, Ozpin, Amber, and Torchwick. All the people to whom death happened to and it stuck.

Cinder. That's the list of people who have cheated death.

That we know of. Those other examples? The show neither treated them as things that were lethal or should be treated as lethal which might be different from what you expect/want but that doesn't mean it meshes with what the show establishes. People get injured, a lot more frequently, and we've seen bodies (both named characters and not) a lot more frequently, and we've seen what is widely considered one of the strongest characters on the show be immobilized throughout half a volume because he got poisoned and scratched. Amputations have happened twice now.

At this point in time your distaste for 'low stakes' in RWBY is just a stylistic difference from what you expect. You don't need to agree with it, but you don't need to let it stick in your craw and get so grumbly either.

7: Cinder as a whole. So...Cinder fought to a stand still an older, more experienced Maiden who, from what we've seen, was a better combatant before getting Maiden powers than Cinder was with Maiden powers...and still broke Raven's Aura and might have still beaten her if not for Vernal's sneak attack...and this somehow removes all of Cinder's menace? Why again? I would still fully expect Cinder to whomp any of the main characters in a fight and either kill them or leave them for dead.

Playful attitude aside, this was really negative, even from you. Especially since you brought up the best part about the episode, talked about how you enjoyed it, and then completely ignored that for...something that made the discussion even more interesting!

Sorry if I'm not so forgiving in my own counter-rebuttals this time, but not in the best mood myself.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I would still fully expect Cinder to whomp any of the main characters in a fight and either kill them or leave them for dead.
    Really? Because last volume, she was almost killed by Jaune.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2018-11-14 at 10:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Really? Because last volume, she was almost killed by Jaune.
    Please. Jaune wasn't even that on target when Cinder dodged and still had her aura.

And as we see what happened afterwards, she got back up, stomped Jaune and almost killed Weiss as well.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

Please. Jaune wasn't even that on target when Cinder dodged and still had her aura.

And as we see what happened afterwards, she got back up, stomped Jaune and almost killed Weiss as well.
    Cinder only survived because Emerald saved her from the silver eyes. Otherwise, she'd have been helpless to stop Jaune. One glare from Ruby permanently crippled Cinder. Even a brief, interrupted glance was enough to paralyse her. If she goes up against team RWBY without any minions to run interference, she'll be lucky to leave breathing.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I'm not asking for 24 minutes of Ozpin talking, GOD no his actor sucks, but a flashback would be fine. Show us a flashback. We can just imply he's telling them the truth, and you can have us believe it. If you really want to keep Ozpin as a mysterious lie man, do something GOOD with it.
    I'm not sure how your alternative with Ozpin giving a flashback fits with him being a secret keeper. Nor do I see what you think is something good they could do with Ozpin right here. What they are doing is good. RWBY, and Ruby, is gaining both maturity and control over the story by confronting Ozpin and getting insight into the big secrets in the story.

So I looked up "Deltora Quest flashbacks" since you mentioned it, and found episode 52 "When The Seven Gems Shine" , which is the last episode of the series.

Spoiler: Deltora Quest Episode 52 Grand Finale
    Show
    The first and most significant flashback here is at 3:28 and shows the kid learning from his father how to work the MacGuffins to ensure victory. It does this despite the fact that the kid's father is right in front of him in the present. There are several other quick flashbacks showing what I presume are prior scenes, as the party assembles their gems.

I'm not sure these flashbacks qualify anything "innovative" in anime. A flashback prior to the main character having a intellectual breakthrough is a pretty common one. Also, those quick flashbacks showing scenes of friendship and unity in the grand finale as part of the build up to the moment of climax is a common choice. Neither concept is apropos here.

I'm also reminded as to what RWBY is being compared to in terms of everything from story quality to animation quality. You really dislike RWBY and really like traditional anime.

Here, in Deltora Quest, they are combining 3D CGI with the traditional 2D-look. I admit its well integrated in the look of the show. That said its a terrible style that doesn't age well. Its also uses very much a bombastic kodomo style of combat (I'm reminded of old Thunder Cats or Power Rangers).

While I watched Deltora Quest, I got visions watching a RWBY anime with the character completely done in traditional anime style. Completely flat, relatively fewer actions shots in a fight, lots of obviously reused shots not placed in interaction with what's contemporaneously going on. I didn't like it. Instead, from the start, I looked at RWBY and had this reaction.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

Cinder only survived because Emerald saved her from the silver eyes. Otherwise, she'd have been helpless to stop Jaune. One glare from Ruby permanently crippled Cinder. Even a brief, interrupted glance was enough to paralyse her. If she goes up against team RWBY without any minions to run interference, she'll be lucky to leave breathing.
    You mean that thing that Ruby has no control over and no idea of how to activate? Your argument is basically 'Cinder was about to murder Jaune, but then plot-powers happened. Just not enough plot-power to let him actually do it. And the attack that froze the single largest and most dangerous Grimm seen so far only permanently crippled'. Nor did they, even in that moment, do enough to Cinder to stop from doing anything else. She got back up and immediately went back to curb-stomping Jaune.

So yeah, plot will do that, that doesn't make Cinder not a threat.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2018-11-14 at 11:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean that thing that Ruby has no control over and no idea of how to activate? Your argument is basically 'Cinder was about to murder Jaune, but then plot-powers happened. Just not enough plot-power to let him actually do it. And the attack that froze the single largest and most dangerous Grimm seen so far only permanently crippled'. Nor did they, even in that moment, do enough to Cinder to stop from doing anything else. She got back up and immediately went back to curb-stomping Jaune.

So yeah, plot will do that, that doesn't make Cinder not a threat.
    The silver eyes seem pretty reliable. They activate when Cinder threatens (or takes) the lives of Ruby's friends. Now that Ruby has successfully used them against Cinder twice, I'd be surprised if she suddenly loses the knack.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

The silver eyes seem pretty reliable. They activate when Cinder threatens (or takes) the lives of Ruby's friends. Now that Ruby has successfully used them against Cinder twice, I'd be surprised if she suddenly loses the knack.
    Doesn't change the fact that Ruby has yet to consciously activate them. All it would mean is Ruby would have to be eliminated first in any such hypothetical match-up before Cinder takes the lives of Ruby's friends or accidentally triggers memories of Pyrrha's death.

27. - Top - End - #957

Arguably, she got sliced in the face and lost her fancy mask thing.

I, personally, think it would be more interesting if Ozpin WAS entirely straight with them, and the concern was whether they could trust him or not while WE still know it IS 100% true. Anyway, time for my bloodcurse.

------

Episode 3: The Lost Fable (Big Blue Titty Lady's Wild Ride Through The Exposition Dimension)

Spoiler: C3V6
    Show
    And so we begin The Plot Dump.

Salem lived in the past where kings and kingdoms where plentiful, and people were capable of greatness. Because apparently slicing a gigantic bird in half when you're 16 or so isn't great. But hey, Magic is a thing and everyone has it because it's a gift from the gods. That's...something, at least.

And then one day, Ozma the Great Hero appeared, to challenge Salem's chastity belt in castle form. So I guess this is Ozpin prime. However, unlike all the other heroes, he didn't come to Salem's castle to win her hand, he...just kinda came here. Jinn doesn't say at the moment. But because he's a heroic hero who fights for heroism and heroics, he beat the castle. And of course the two start a relationship. Which is pretty creepy honestly.

And then they have fun adventures, the end. Happily ever after.

Jinn then says "that's the way it should of gone" but a better way of phrasing it would of been "...unfortunately, stories never end" personally.

But yeah, Ozma died. Because he got sick. This is fine...if generic. The invincible hero felled by illness. It happens. There's absolutely no chemistry between them and they don't sell this relationship at all. But okay, fine, I'll bite.

Salem goes to the light god's fountain of life, and he's a big glowing shadow of light with big antlers. She asks him to revive Ozma and he's like "lady death and life are a balance I can't...just DO that." and Salem flips the **** OUT because she's like a 23 year old woman who's spent her entire life in a castle where everything lived to serve her but also keep her safe and protected.

HMM. Almost as if...not letting people know about the realities of the world is...bad. HMM. Ozpin, have you considered...you may of turned the entire world into Salem's castle? If this was intentional good for them, but I don't...feel like it is.

The god of light didn't work, so Salem goes to the god of darkness instead. He is of course more than willing to help because he's dark and evil and bleegh, generic stupid boring stuff that doesn't fit the setting at all. The Dark God is of course all gross, still humanoid but like, bending over backwards and ****, and it's just so...unnecessary. Also the Grimm just exist. They're his pets he made. They've always existed and they are them.

And of course the God of Darkness, who is dark and evil and the god of death, can of course just casually bring Ozma back to life. Because you know, god of death and all that. Lotta life to give around. And I mean sure, okay, they're not actually split gods probably, they're just two gods with the same powers, one is just preppy and one's a goth. Whatever. Anyway, GOL is not happy at what GoD did, so he kills Ozma. Just melts him into dust. The particulate, not the macguffin.

This is so ****ing tedious. The dark god is petty and turns into a western style dragon, the light god is pompous and turns into a chinese style dragon, and...much to my surprise, the God of Light is like "Dude she came to me first, she's trying to trick you" and he's like "...oh well that changes everything sorry" and he kills Ozma again, after having revived him after his initial death of GoL. This is kinda...stupid, but a good stupid that I like. The god's do not have the same morality of people, and the only reason the Dark God broke the rules is because he just got excited someone actually worshipped him for once. Which...is really dumb, like a lot, but they're gods so they're kind of inherently stupid.

The Gods of Light and Dark both then decide...to do something REALLY dumb, that goes against even their own characterization as dumb orange vs blue morality. They decide to make Salem immortal so she can never be with her lover ever ever again...which breaks the cycle of life and death, ****ing EVERYTHING UP ANYWAY. Stupid idiot gods.

But yeah no...why. I know immortality is a punishment, and stopping her from ever being with Ozma in whatever fake make believe afterlife they might have is a good punishment, but she...she just wanted her boyfriend back. You don't have to curse her for all eternity, and again it BREAKS YOUR OWN GOD DAMN RULES GUYS!

She can only die once she learns the importance of life and death...which she would have learned if she could die. But instead she won't ever die, so she can't ever learn the importance of death.

Salem tries to kill herself, and we don't get any blood which sucks because this would have been a great way to get some blood in there. But yeah, she can't kill herself, she just won't die, so...now that she has an infinite amount of time to plan, she realizes hey since I tricked the gods once maybe I can do it again.

Okay, credit where it is due. I don't...think any part of this is really well EXECUTED, but the idea is great. Now blessed with genuine immortality, and with the gods too ****ing stupid to go against her for whatever reason, Salem goes around to every kingdom on earth offering to get stabbed to death by everyone to prove how she stole immortality from the gods, and how if they just follow her she can get it for all of them as well. This is a PRETTY decent set up. It has been executed poorly.

Also credit where it's due, the armies of the world do jack **** to the gods and the God of Darkness kills literally every single human on earth as punishment for Salem being such a ****. That's impressive at the very least.

...**** off please. The God of Light is like "this was a good experiment brother, but now this world is but a remnant" because haha the world is called Remnant I CAN MAKE JOKES also the gods acting strangely non divine and just like jerk scientists because we don't know how to write gods yay! I dislike this a lot.

...and then the dark god hits the moon on their way out the door and oops broke the moon. You know...I don't actually see how anyone could forgive any writing as lazy as this. This is horrible.

During this scene wherein Salem wanders the world to see all the nothing that exists, cursing existance, she see's animals that still exist and she see's grimm who still exist...but the grimm are animated very poorly, walking in place and otherwise being ****ty. So what we're lead to believe here is that the dark god specifically only killed all the humans instead of all life, which...fine, but is really dumb since now the Grimm have nothing to eat, and he apparently liked them since he made them.

You know, unless something changes, I'll at least see this much. Retconning the "the dark and light god hated each other" bit is a good choice, because it's actually interesting.

...for some reason Salem calls the gods "The brothers grimm" when describing the inky black pit that the Dark God lived in to counter the light god's fountain of life, and I want to die. Jinn says that, surely if the fountain of life gave her immortality, the fountain of grimm would take it away. Salem was likely insane at this point so sure whatever, but what...stupid needless names for this.

Jinn says that the super destructive goo of the dark pit beat Salem up and made her an immortal with the desire to destroy everything...which means all it did was just make her all gross looking. Because Salem pretty clearly wanted to kill ****in' everything.

...aaand then we learn The Thing. The godof light is like...hey Ozpin. Buddy. Wanna return to Remnant? All the people are dead and I obviously dont' care about the balance of life and death anymore since we're ****in' outie 69 so...I mean why not right?

He also goes on to explain that...humans are just gonna naturally evolve on the planet anyway. Which is impossible because the grimm exist. We also get to see all the relics, just with no colour. Creation is a stick, Destruction is a sword (calling it that it's Jaune's) Choice is a crown and Knowledge is an orb that has a big naked genie in it. And we finally hear The Big Deal about the relics. If all four relics are brought together it'll phone up the twin gods and they'll come back to judge humanity.

This is not a very horrifying thing. If Ozpin had just told them this I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.

The god of light says if humanity learns to live in peace, when they come calling the gods will once again live with them in happiness and stuff. If not they all dead. Now, this doesn't count the Faunus or the Grimm presumably, since...the Grimm make the world far too unstable for any humanity to live and Faunus aren't humans. Also the God of Light continues to break his own rules, giving Ozma eternal life via reincarnation as a horrible brain parasite that consumes it's host. You know, to ensure he's not lonely. Ignoring that that's...not how that works at all.

Ozma says he'd rather go live with Salem in the afterlife and then things get aaawkward as the God of Light realizes he may of have an error. Somewhat. He mentions that Salem, physically, still exists. But millenia of stupid nonsense and being alone has made her a bit insane. Which...again, kind of precludes the chance of any humanity surviving the evolutionary process.

The...the god of light tells Ozpin that where he seeks comfort, he'll only find pain, which feels completely out of nowhere. Regardless, Oz accepts. And so he is reborn in an impossible human, fighting against Grim with simple ass swords and spears. There's a really sad moment, the only dialogue not based on Jinn or the flashback dimension, where Ozcar notes that the person Ozma was shoved into didn't actually get a choice and was basically just subsumed by Ozma's personality. It's interesting, and just further illustrates Ozpin will eventually consume Ozcar.

And, one day, Ozma finds "The Witch" the only other human in the world who can do magic. Also the Faunus just exist now, and are shoved in cages like animals. But yeah Ozma goes to see the witch and surprise it's Salem, obviously. This isn't a surprise.

Then the power of love triumphs over ALL??? apparently, because Ozma in his new body meets Salem and things god...perfectly fine, except they also lie to each other about the darker parts of their respective immortalities. Which...again. Ozpin. Noticing the pattern here? Don't lie to people.

...and thus we learn that Salem convinced Ozmapincar to help her become the living gods of this world thanks to their immortality. Which...I mean...okay look. Obviously, conquering the entire world is evil, and Salem is probably still hyped up on that evil grimm juice, but...nothing about this is a actually that bad? Human's need guidance sometimes, trying to unite the world is not an inherently evil goal.

And then they became gods. And then they ****ed. A lot. Cause they have four children. I'm assuming something bad will happen here soon. Also, a note; Salem has not done anything showing she's an immortal consumed by desire for destruction like Jinn said, so that was obviously just a lie because Salem's just like that. Anyway Salem is starting to get more "ends justify the means"y, and Ozma is starting to get flashes of how this is bad for some reason, but oh hey all their children are wizards. All four of their childrens, each in a season coloured dressed.

so that's why the original Winter Maiden looks like Salem. How unsatisfying.

...any merit the story could have had ends here because, once Ozma explains what the Light God wanted him to do...Salem's like "why should we care about saving them when we could replace them?"

With...with what, Salem? You're two people. You can't populate an entire planet. This is how we can incest babies. Do you want incest babies?

For some reason Salem's ludicrous nonsense statement makes Ozma decide to escape the castle with his children, but Salem attacks and everyone but her dies, as is the way of things.

And so...whatever. Things continue. I'm bored. Ozpin found the Relic of Knowledge and learned that he can't destroy Salem. For some reason he doesn't get a huge exposition dimension adventure with Jinn, because nope Salem is 100% undefeatable. She cannot be defeated. At all. 100%. Jinn is intended to be unfallable so she...can't be defeated. Otherwise she'd of told him.

And...that's it. That's the episode.
    Spoiler: V6C3
    Show
    None of this explained why Ozpin lost magic power as he uses it, why he loses magic power by shoving it into people, why his specific gift to Qrowe and Raven was "turn into bird" and it very very tangently talks about the Maidens who are basically not even a plot point anymore beyond it being his four daughters, who are probably still reincarnating as well which is why the maiden powers attached to people like them. So...many questions raised, so little actual answers provided. Honestly kinda dull episode, not bad like the first one and not stupidly amusing like the second. This one was just...boring.

Jinn says that Ozma learned to live with the souls he inhabitats, but that's counter to how it's actually been described and shown on screen. None of this jives with the storires of the Maidens, though again like I said I'm honestly just taking this story that was meant to be taken as legit is instead now not, because the truth is the first four maidens were his daughters who inherited his reincarnation and Salem's magical powers, so they now reincarnate forever like he does.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-11-15 at 12:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be going through the (V6E2) review here point by point, but I'm omitting Cinder's part because it would look like nit picking after I've made my substantial point. Cinder's survival is the expected outcome, I don't see how someone could be both shocked she survived and outraged they didn't honor her "promised" death. However, if people really believed in her death and was surprised, I suppose that suggests cRWBY did there job right by making her death seem real despite it consisting simply of a fall into darkness...which is never a real death. [Link is to a major Star Wars: Solo Finale spoiler]

Also, you are really hard on Ozpin here. I cut out that because I already gave that my major comments and what's left would just be going line by line and noting that...no Ozpin is not actually evil and always wrong.

Show
    I get the feeling you don't just dislike RWBY animation style but you see it through a hypercritical lens. I don't even notice things like Cinder pulling up her hood or Qrowe getting a book on his face is somehow deficient. Even if these animations don't look natural or even like there are missing cells, it would be fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. Also, I see all those things in anime regularly.

Show

Seriously, you think that the Relic of Knowledge, that can tell you ANYTHING except the future (as you describe it), is only useful in "very specific cases." I think that is a lack of imagination.

You could ask it for your enemies weakness, the formula to cure cancer, or anything you want to know about science, history, or basically any topic. For example if you are Salem you could ask, for example, who the maidens are or where they are, or simply "tell me everything about the maidens." Or if you are the heroes, you might want to ask "How to defeat Salem." That's a completely hypothetical question by the way.

Show

Maria Calvara.

Maria's design is disrespectful but very good? I'm not going to try to square that but I will point out that I can't believe that a avid anime watcher thinks that it would be shocking if a character was a walking Nativity scene.

I've seen enough anime to know nuns wear tight colorful habits that don't their big blonde bangs and fight monsters. That christian priests can cast spells using full-bible pages like Japanese Onmyoji. And that ultimate villain may just be a thinly veiled caricature of the Abrahamic God. Not to mention that medieval western knights can have samurai-like attitudes, and basically western appropriation is going on all the time in anime and how is this not obvious?

Show

I thought that Jinn's (I looked up that spelling) voice is a lot like Salem's who has a first class VA. Also, the fact that she being create by the God of Light is actual exposition that explains how powers work, the thing you've been asking for. However, we already were told the artifacts were created by the gods by Ozpin last season, so this confirms he was telling the truth on that at least.

[SPOILER=C2V6]AND THAT'S IT! THOOOOUGHTS?!:
    Show
    ****ing teeeerrible hahahahaaaaaah what the HELL. We've gone ENTIRELY off the rails, nothing makes sense, death is meaningless and there's a giant blue titty lady who's going to vomit background information on us next episode because RT does not know how to weave a narrative AT ALL...

this was ****ing hilariously bad WHAT IS GOING OOOON?! Absolutely nothing we're about to see next episode is going to gel with basically ANYTHING we've seen before ...
    So here's the summary: Cinder, Ozpin, and Jinn, the whole story now is "off the rails" and "doesn't make sense." In fact its so "absurd" to the point that...success Zodi doesn't hate RWBY anymore....now its "funny!" [Definite improvement]

I'm glad you like the show now, but I'm not seeing what you are in the show....not at all.

Cinder's survival and subsequent pursuit of RWBY is simply the regular path for a major villain that disappears and is assumed dead. Especially since she was defeated by a minor character.

Ozpin, was being Ozpin, I don't see what's surprising. I'm not sure how someone can be evil to such absurd lengths and not be interesting, but maybe you think he's actually funny. I can't tell.

Again, Ozpin's manipulation of teenagers to do incredibly dangerous work is nothing unusual in anime. Naruto, for example, they do it without even suggesting there is anything sinister about the adults. In fact, that's really the norm. Ozpin being called out in this series for doing it is what's exceptional.

Ozpin also has secrets, again the mentor keeping secrets to be revealed when narratively appropriate is not unusual. Ozpin being asked to spill the beans on everything (Yang said "no more lies; no more secrets" if I remember correctly) is.

Ozpin makes most sense as someone earnestly fighting a war he feels has to be fought with the means he feels he needs to use. The alternative is
    Spoiler: V6E3
    Show
    you'll find out next episode
    but he's also clearly disillusioned and problematically concerned RWBY will end up turning on him (much as Raven did, as Leo did, as...
    Spoiler: S3E3
    Show
    Salem did
    ).

Ozpin's characterization is far from absurd, its a thoughtful deconstruction of an anime-style mentor.

Finally, Jinn. Getting a near-omniscient being to decisively answer our questions with the creative use of illusion animation is something that should be welcomed. The exposition is hardly being dump, nor are we getting a brief exposition. We are going to see what happened in the past, in objective, perfect detail.

So in addition to a villain that survives a "certain fall to death" and a mysterious mentor-figure that keep secrets, we have genie from a lamp...

If you had said this all was cliche I might agree you had a point. Instead, you are saying this stuff is so ridiculously weird that the story has gone off to the point of absurdity... sort of like when the final boss turns out to be some god-like figure no one ever heard of before.

That latter (as well as other off-the-rails scenarios) are not that uncommon in anime. This is not that, this is actually following the formula. There is enough variation to keep things fresh, but what you are seeing isn't there.

Reading your review, I am reminded of one I once saw of Elfen Lied. The reviewer started with how they were struck by the cute drawings and "sing song voices" and clearly couldn't see it as anything but a kids' cartoon going off the rails.

While you might not be looking at RWBY with quite the obvious lens of jaundice as if you were screening Elfen Lied to watch with your eight year old, you are still looking at RWBY as something through a lens where the everything is just "off," like listening to that one type of rock you really hate.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-11-15 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Make it clear its V6E2

29. - Top - End - #959

Other series having the same problems RWBY does doesn't disqualify RWBY from having those problems. They're just little animation hitches that bug me, especially given the intent of doing the show like this supposed to be making the show easier to animate and easier to fix those problems.

I mean, those are all pretty specific, and a lot of those answers have time limits on their usefulness. It's three answers to three questions, nothing of which involves the future (not by MY definition, by what THEY SAY THEMSELVES ) and are only as useful as you are, since knowledge is nothing without the ability to act on it. So no, I don't think Jinn is very powerful.

I mean, I didn't say it would be shocking to me. I'm just giving some credence to what I'm saying by using an example . What I mean with Maria is that, if you divorce her from the intentional evoked culturally important holiday, her design is pretty good! Keeping in mind she's an intentional homage to said culturally important holiday and it becomes a little squiggly to me, but is still good.

I don't know who Jinn's voice actress is, but it feels weird coming out of her. Not saying it's good or bad, just weird. It feels like a voice body mismatch.

I mean I never really HATED RWBY, is the thing. I just heavily dislike a lot of it and find it exceptionally overhyped. I was riding the high of how utterly ridiculous the random plot genie out of nowhere is. It's pretty clear the series is off the rails beyond what the intended path was, I don't think you can argue otherwise on that. I just think that in light of not really knowing what to do with the story, RT has opted to go the most absurd route possible.

My issue with Cinder is, if you're going to do a fake out of her death, don't make a song that goes "she's really really dead" with regards to symbolism and then leave us hanging for an entire year. And don't make her death look really definitive! I don't care that "oh she fell down a pit she's fine", assuming that is a wild jump of logic. Yes, in most serious that might be something you do survive, but being frozen SOLID kinda suggests she was Dead-dead.

Ozpin doing what Ozpin does isn't surprising, it's frustrating from a narrative standpoint since he really has no reason to keep lying, and his bemoaning the fact that no one trusts him and everyone betrays him after he's continued to do nothing but lie is annoying and putting a damper on some of the positives of this conversation.

The thing is, Ozpin's reasoning in universe makes no sense. Raven can turn into a bird, and this horrified her so much she betrayed him. Lionheart, we don't know what triggered his betrayal, but it likely has to do with Salem revealing to him she's an immortal who can't die. There is...absolutely NO thoughtful deconstruction here, there's nothing to deconstruct! Ozpin is the same as ever, and everyone reacts as they typically do. Except when the master is forced to reveal everything, unlike most shows he doesn't because he sucks.

Illusion animation, by which you mean blue clouds. I don't...find this impressive or interesting at all. This is a really BAD way to plot dump on us for an entire episode.

I mean I did say it was cliche! It's generic and boring and annoying, and it's completely jumped it's shark I think, to use a rough metaphor. It's not fresh, and it's not following any sort of formula it started with at all. It was a school series about magic rocks, then about protecting the maidens, now a nonsense god of light and dark macguffin plot. And again, other animes doing things wrong doesn't mean RWBY gets a free pass.

All I do with RWBY, is watch it and give my opinions. I entirely understand what it's trying to be, and what it's trying to be and what it is right now are two entirely different entities.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: C3V6
    Show
    And so we begin The Plot Dump.

Salem lived in the past where kings and kingdoms where plentiful, and people were capable of greatness. Because apparently slicing a gigantic bird in half when you're 16 or so isn't great. But hey, Magic is a thing and everyone has it because it's a gift from the gods. That's...something, at least.

And then one day, Ozma the Great Hero appeared, to challenge Salem's chastity belt in castle form. So I guess this is Ozpin prime. However, unlike all the other heroes, he didn't come to Salem's castle to win her hand, he...just kinda came here. Jinn doesn't say at the moment. But because he's a heroic hero who fights for heroism and heroics, he beat the castle. And of course the two start a relationship. Which is pretty creepy honestly.

And then they have fun adventures, the end. Happily ever after.

Jinn then says "that's the way it should of gone" but a better way of phrasing it would of been "...unfortunately, stories never end" personally.

But yeah, Ozma died. Because he got sick. This is fine...if generic. The invincible hero felled by illness. It happens. There's absolutely no chemistry between them and they don't sell this relationship at all. But okay, fine, I'll bite.

Salem goes to the light god's fountain of life, and he's a big glowing shadow of light with big antlers. She asks him to revive Ozma and he's like "lady death and life are a balance I can't...just DO that." and Salem flips the **** OUT because she's like a 23 year old woman who's spent her entire life in a castle where everything lived to serve her but also keep her safe and protected.

HMM. Almost as if...not letting people know about the realities of the world is...bad. HMM. Ozpin, have you considered...you may of turned the entire world into Salem's castle? If this was intentional good for them, but I don't...feel like it is.

The god of light didn't work, so Salem goes to the god of darkness instead. He is of course more than willing to help because he's dark and evil and bleegh, generic stupid boring stuff that doesn't fit the setting at all. The Dark God is of course all gross, still humanoid but like, bending over backwards and ****, and it's just so...unnecessary. Also the Grimm just exist. They're his pets he made. They've always existed and they are them.

And of course the God of Darkness, who is dark and evil and the god of death, can of course just casually bring Ozma back to life. Because you know, god of death and all that. Lotta life to give around. And I mean sure, okay, they're not actually split gods probably, they're just two gods with the same powers, one is just preppy and one's a goth. Whatever. Anyway, GOL is not happy at what GoD did, so he kills Ozma. Just melts him into dust. The particulate, not the macguffin.

This is so ****ing tedious. The dark god is petty and turns into a western style dragon, the light god is pompous and turns into a chinese style dragon, and...much to my surprise, the God of Light is like "Dude she came to me first, she's trying to trick you" and he's like "...oh well that changes everything sorry" and he kills Ozma again, after having revived him after his initial death of GoL. This is kinda...stupid, but a good stupid that I like. The god's do not have the same morality of people, and the only reason the Dark God broke the rules is because he just got excited someone actually worshipped him for once. Which...is really dumb, like a lot, but they're gods so they're kind of inherently stupid.

The Gods of Light and Dark both then decide...to do something REALLY dumb, that goes against even their own characterization as dumb orange vs blue morality. They decide to make Salem immortal so she can never be with her lover ever ever again...which breaks the cycle of life and death, ****ing EVERYTHING UP ANYWAY. Stupid idiot gods.

But yeah no...why. I know immortality is a punishment, and stopping her from ever being with Ozma in whatever fake make believe afterlife they might have is a good punishment, but she...she just wanted her boyfriend back. You don't have to curse her for all eternity, and again it BREAKS YOUR OWN GOD DAMN RULES GUYS!

She can only die once she learns the importance of life and death...which she would have learned if she could die. But instead she won't ever die, so she can't ever learn the importance of death.

Salem tries to kill herself, and we don't get any blood which sucks because this would have been a great way to get some blood in there. But yeah, she can't kill herself, she just won't die, so...now that she has an infinite amount of time to plan, she realizes hey since I tricked the gods once maybe I can do it again.

Okay, credit where it is due. I don't...think any part of this is really well EXECUTED, but the idea is great. Now blessed with genuine immortality, and with the gods too ****ing stupid to go against her for whatever reason, Salem goes around to every kingdom on earth offering to get stabbed to death by everyone to prove how she stole immortality from the gods, and how if they just follow her she can get it for all of them as well. This is a PRETTY decent set up. It has been executed poorly.

Also credit where it's due, the armies of the world do jack **** to the gods and the God of Darkness kills literally every single human on earth as punishment for Salem being such a ****. That's impressive at the very least.

...**** off please. The God of Light is like "this was a good experiment brother, but now this world is but a remnant" because haha the world is called Remnant I CAN MAKE JOKES also the gods acting strangely non divine and just like jerk scientists because we don't know how to write gods yay! I dislike this a lot.

...and then the dark god hits the moon on their way out the door and oops broke the moon. You know...I don't actually see how anyone could forgive any writing as lazy as this. This is horrible.

During this scene wherein Salem wanders the world to see all the nothing that exists, cursing existance, she see's animals that still exist and she see's grimm who still exist...but the grimm are animated very poorly, walking in place and otherwise being ****ty. So what we're lead to believe here is that the dark god specifically only killed all the humans instead of all life, which...fine, but is really dumb since now the Grimm have nothing to eat, and he apparently liked them since he made them.

You know, unless something changes, I'll at least see this much. Retconning the "the dark and light god hated each other" bit is a good choice, because it's actually interesting.

...for some reason Salem calls the gods "The brothers grimm" when describing the inky black pit that the Dark God lived in to counter the light god's fountain of life, and I want to die. Jinn says that, surely if the fountain of life gave her immortality, the fountain of grimm would take it away. Salem was likely insane at this point so sure whatever, but what...stupid needless names for this.

Jinn says that the super destructive goo of the dark pit beat Salem up and made her an immortal with the desire to destroy everything...which means all it did was just make her all gross looking. Because Salem pretty clearly wanted to kill ****in' everything.

...aaand then we learn The Thing. The godof light is like...hey Ozpin. Buddy. Wanna return to Remnant? All the people are dead and I obviously dont' care about the balance of life and death anymore since we're ****in' outie 69 so...I mean why not right?

He also goes on to explain that...humans are just gonna naturally evolve on the planet anyway. Which is impossible because the grimm exist. We also get to see all the relics, just with no colour. Creation is a stick, Destruction is a sword (calling it that it's Jaune's) Choice is a crown and Knowledge is an orb that has a big naked genie in it. And we finally hear The Big Deal about the relics. If all four relics are brought together it'll phone up the twin gods and they'll come back to judge humanity.

This is not a very horrifying thing. If Ozpin had just told them this I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.

The god of light says if humanity learns to live in peace, when they come calling the gods will once again live with them in happiness and stuff. If not they all dead. Now, this doesn't count the Faunus or the Grimm presumably, since...the Grimm make the world far too unstable for any humanity to live and Faunus aren't humans. Also the God of Light continues to break his own rules, giving Ozma eternal life via reincarnation as a horrible brain parasite that consumes it's host. You know, to ensure he's not lonely. Ignoring that that's...not how that works at all.

Ozma says he'd rather go live with Salem in the afterlife and then things get aaawkward as the God of Light realizes he may of have an error. Somewhat. He mentions that Salem, physically, still exists. But millenia of stupid nonsense and being alone has made her a bit insane. Which...again, kind of precludes the chance of any humanity surviving the evolutionary process.

The...the god of light tells Ozpin that where he seeks comfort, he'll only find pain, which feels completely out of nowhere. Regardless, Oz accepts. And so he is reborn in an impossible human, fighting against Grim with simple ass swords and spears. There's a really sad moment, the only dialogue not based on Jinn or the flashback dimension, where Ozcar notes that the person Ozma was shoved into didn't actually get a choice and was basically just subsumed by Ozma's personality. It's interesting, and just further illustrates Ozpin will eventually consume Ozcar.

And, one day, Ozma finds "The Witch" the only other human in the world who can do magic. Also the Faunus just exist now, and are shoved in cages like animals. But yeah Ozma goes to see the witch and surprise it's Salem, obviously. This isn't a surprise.

Then the power of love triumphs over ALL??? apparently, because Ozma in his new body meets Salem and things god...perfectly fine, except they also lie to each other about the darker parts of their respective immortalities. Which...again. Ozpin. Noticing the pattern here? Don't lie to people.

...and thus we learn that Salem convinced Ozmapincar to help her become the living gods of this world thanks to their immortality. Which...I mean...okay look. Obviously, conquering the entire world is evil, and Salem is probably still hyped up on that evil grimm juice, but...nothing about this is a actually that bad? Human's need guidance sometimes, trying to unite the world is not an inherently evil goal.

And then they became gods. And then they ****ed. A lot. Cause they have four children. I'm assuming something bad will happen here soon. Also, a note; Salem has not done anything showing she's an immortal consumed by desire for destruction like Jinn said, so that was obviously just a lie because Salem's just like that. Anyway Salem is starting to get more "ends justify the means"y, and Ozma is starting to get flashes of how this is bad for some reason, but oh hey all their children are wizards. All four of their childrens, each in a season coloured dressed.

so that's why the original Winter Maiden looks like Salem. How unsatisfying.

...any merit the story could have had ends here because, once Ozma explains what the Light God wanted him to do...Salem's like "why should we care about saving them when we could replace them?"

With...with what, Salem? You're two people. You can't populate an entire planet. This is how we can incest babies. Do you want incest babies?

For some reason Salem's ludicrous nonsense statement makes Ozma decide to escape the castle with his children, but Salem attacks and everyone but her dies, as is the way of things.

And so...whatever. Things continue. I'm bored. Ozpin found the Relic of Knowledge and learned that he can't destroy Salem. For some reason he doesn't get a huge exposition dimension adventure with Jinn, because nope Salem is 100% undefeatable. She cannot be defeated. At all. 100%. Jinn is intended to be unfallable so she...can't be defeated. Otherwise she'd of told him.
    So I don't agree Ozpin should suddenly find enlightenment after millennium of betrayal and hard lessons, and I have a lot of nits but...broadly I agree with this review.

Its clever, its funny, its Zodi (that's an adjective). On the major points:
    Spoiler: V6E3
    Show
    Yes, the gods are jerks, yes it makes no sense that the God of Light talks so much about balance of life and death and then give Salem immortality and brings back Ozpin. Largely, the story is silly in just the ways you see it, and yes, it is forgivably so because this is consistent with gods and myths and how they work.

I've laughed multiple times reading this review. It quite captures the absurdities in this story.

However, I think the destruction of the moon and other stuff is quite fitting myself.

Also, I thought you'd have something about how humanity just spontaneously arises again, this time with faunus and without magic.

And...that's it. That's the episode.
    Spoiler: V6C3
    Show
    None of this explained why Ozpin lost magic power as he uses it, why he loses magic power by shoving it into people, why his specific gift to Qrowe and Raven was "turn into bird" and it very very tangently talks about the Maidens who are basically not even a plot point anymore beyond it being his four daughters, who are probably still reincarnating as well which is why the maiden powers attached to people like them. So...many questions raised, so little actual answers provided. Honestly kinda dull episode, not bad like the first one and not stupidly amusing like the second. This one was just...boring.

Jinn says that Ozma learned to live with the souls he inhabitats, but that's counter to how it's actually been described and shown on screen. None of this jives with the storires of the Maidens, though again like I said I'm honestly just taking this story that was meant to be taken as legit is instead now not, because the truth is the first four maidens were his daughters who inherited his reincarnation and Salem's magical powers, so they now reincarnate forever like he does.
    Ok I absolutely disagree with almost everything here but I suppose that's par for the course.

Spoiler: V3E6
    Show
    Yes, this means the maidens story is a lie. Also, Ozpin's claim that he loses magic powers when he uses or transfers them is now suspect.

However, its way too much to say that "a few" questions incompletely and so much more will answer. Most of the central questions of the main plot have just been answered! We know who Salem is, what the origin of her power is, what she wants, why Ozpin opposes her, and what the end game looks like! That's huge!

One of the remaining questions regards the maidens, and how Ozpin's previous stories relate to the new ones...

Finally....boring? Really? IF you are bored by this episode, if your reaction to finally learning the whole story is....apathy...that has got to be your feeling about the show in its entirety.

I am having a hard time understanding. Do you loathe the show, do you really hate it? Do you like it? If you have any emotional reaction to the show at all THIS episode should strike a cord. This is a reveal that makes all previous revelations pale. In fact, it contradicts a few of them! If you can't care less about the origins of Salem, Ozpin, their war, the artifacts, the moon, and basically everything going on in the series....what is there left that you actually care about?

Also, its a little late since it was on the earlier review but you said the words "naked blue big-titty genie out of nowhere isn't fun." I challenge that statement as absurd on its face!
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-11-15 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Added Zodi's initial review in spoiler box (originally omitted for length, added because its a new page); also added an aside on Jinn