New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I don't remember any of these. I vaguely recall Pyrrha's, I think, but I don't remember Mercury's at all.
    Well, they're there. I should know; I've watch volume 3 at least twelve times, possibly more.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

That was not there when I first saw this, I basically guarantee this.
    Amber's aura was broken and we spoke about the Amber fight at length, I think multiple times, because I am still of the opinion Amber shows that a maiden has awesome power beyond anyone else in that fight and I went over the fight virtually blow by blow to make that point.

She appears to win that fight with a pulse that knocks the rest out

We also should have seen Ruby's aura break when she got cold cocked by Saitama, who was apparently interning as a White Fang member.

It's pretty clear that there were no real attempts or desires to make "this is when the aura breaks" an effect for the viewer to see, because RT and Monty Oum don't know what visual clarity is.
    1. that was season 2, before they figured out the aura break effect in season 3 for the Amber fight. Note we do see that Jaune's aura was depleted against the Big Ursa in season 1.

2. Aura has to be raised, it isn't something everyone has automatically all the time. Ruby, who had a case of careless-Goku, didn't have her aura up, since she wasn't expecting to be attacked. I think it was in the commentary although I'm not sure I got that far when I expounded season 2's comments for the thread.

I don't remember any of these. I vaguely recall Pyrrha's, I think, but I don't remember Mercury's at all.
    You need to watch some fights carefully and repeat if you will catch every detail and blow by blow. The aura effect is only a second or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Well, they're there. I should know; I've watch volume 3 at least twelve times, possibly more.
    🙂 We need to get you some comics and a Library card 🙃
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

Also comics and comics
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I wasn't just rewatching it for the hell of it.

I watched it once through when I first got it. (1)
    I watched with each audio commentary, of which there are three if I remember correctly. (4)
    I rewatched it again later so that I could see what those commentaries were talking about without them getting in the way as well as just picking up things I may have missed. (5)
    I watched FlamingShark and MurderofBirds do blind reactions to it. (7)
    I introduced the show to my sister and then my mom. (9)
    I watched more blind reactions. I don't remember exactly how many, but it's definitely at least three, possibly four or five. (12-15)

Edit: I think I may have rewatched it by my self a second time some time in there. (13-16?)
    Last edited by Celestia; 2019-08-14 at 04:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ettin in the Playground

Claps at Reddish_Mage for that video is perfect in this context. Side note you triggered a Nostalgia Wave hearing Ren's original voice actor Monty Oum once again.

Celestia that makes sense for you are not "really" watching the original video 12 times, but simulcra that came after such as audio commentary, fans react, and so on. Now "really" is not a real world here but I misunderstood at first so thanks for recontextualizing that.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm watching through another reaction, and a question occured to me that I hadn't thought about before. In Volume 2 Chapter 5, when Pyrrha is fighting all of team CRDL, who initiated that match? Pyrrha seems too modest to flaunt her skill by challenging four on one, and Carden seems too arrogant to admit he needs the help. Maybe Glynda arranged it, but it seems potentially irresponsible for a teacher to pit one student against four no matter how much faith you have in her. I'm guessing this is just a plot convenience that you're not supposed to think about, but I've watched this show enough times that there's not much else to think about now.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Colossus in the Playground

I have no real desire to rewatch RWBY for any reason other than "getting paid to do it to make MST3K style stuff for it" at minimum. I do apologize for being wrong, but I've been so busy with other things I've started kicking some of my RWBY brain knowledge out to make room for other stuff.

I'm watching through another reaction, and a question occured to me that I hadn't thought about before. In Volume 2 Chapter 5, when Pyrrha is fighting all of team CRDL, who initiated that match? Pyrrha seems too modest to flaunt her skill by challenging four on one, and Carden seems too arrogant to admit he needs the help. Maybe Glynda arranged it, but it seems potentially irresponsible for a teacher to pit one student against four no matter how much faith you have in her. I'm guessing this is just a plot convenience that you're not supposed to think about, but I've watched this show enough times that there's not much else to think about now.
    The secret is that it was a 4v4 and Jaune, Ren, and Nora were immediately taken out.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no real desire to rewatch RWBY for any reason other than "getting paid to do it to make MST3K style stuff for it" at minimum. I do apologize for being wrong, but I've been so busy with other things I've started kicking some of my RWBY brain knowledge out to make room for other stuff.

The secret is that it was a 4v4 and Jaune, Ren, and Nora were immediately taken out.
    Jaune, sure, but Ren and Nora are actually good and could likely also 1v4 CRDL.

10. - Top - End - #1420

Jaune, sure, but Ren and Nora are actually good and could likely also 1v4 CRDL.
    I contest that they thought it'd be cool to do their combo attack trick they did on the Scorpion Grimm and it backfired spectacularly.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

This isn't the kids' first supervised sparring session. Glynda must have paired Pyrrha off with other students plenty of times, and probably knew quite well how that matchup was going to go. If anything, she's probably all but using Pyrrha as an assistant instructor by that point in the school year.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    This isn't the kids' first supervised sparring session. Glynda must have paired Pyrrha off with other students plenty of times, and probably knew quite well how that matchup was going to go. If anything, she's probably all but using Pyrrha as an assistant instructor by that point in the school year.
    Good point. This is the second semester after all.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

So DC is coming out with a RWBY comic to focus on “unseen moments” from the anime.

I have questions specifically for why the new artist fell in love with the characters by mid second season (I say it’s the nadir of the franchise around the Paladin fight...but still entertaining).

On another note we are nearly at 50 pages we should start thinking of a new title for the next thread.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    So DC is coming out with a RWBY comic to focus on “unseen moments” from the anime.

I have questions specifically for why the new artist fell in love with the characters by mid second season (I say it’s the nadir of the franchise around the Paladin fight...but still entertaining).

On another note we are nearly at 50 pages we should start thinking of a new title for the next thread.
    I'm reading through their interview and I don't actually believe they've seen RWBY at all.

"The absolute sincerity of their arcs – dark without being dark and gritty, sweet without being inane, traumatic while fully realizing their personhood instead of treating them as props to demonstrate the personhood of those around them - had me addicted."

Y'all, regardless of how the series has gone, "mid season 2" is not... anything like what she just described here. "Sweet without being inane" my god damn ass.

Anyway, thread title idea... RWBY (number): Gee Ruby, Why Does Your Mom Let You Have Three Comic Adaptations?
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-30 at 09:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

I'm reading through their interview and I don't actually believe they've seen RWBY at all.
    Honestly, I still can't tell the difference between a viewpoint so different from mine that they interpret something in a wildly different yet valid way, from one where they didn't read the thing at all. because I've seen people on the internet make some pretty weird claims about a lot of shows that don't make sense to me. like there are just some phrases that sound alien to me and I just have to find something else to do than focus on the viewpoint, because I know I'd get angry being exposed to it, and worse it happens even through the internet filtering, I often encounter them about shows I like and are like are interested in, so I can't even say I don't care, I just have to actively not engage, because it never leads anywhere good.

thankfully I don't care about RWBY emotionally anymore, so its interesting to be able to see that kind of perceptual dissonance from the outside.

as for title....

RWBY X: We'll be on Alexa Next!
    RWBY X: Skyrim
    RWBY X: Its Semblance is Adaptation
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah we never saw Amber's aura break. It's Season 4 or onwards or something.

Given how important it is you'd think they'd be better about it.
    We see Amber's, Mercury's, and Pyrrah's break in Volume 3. Mercury's is the first time though.

What about 'RWBY X: Finally reached Atlas!' ?

Also I tend to rewatch RWBY, or at least the episodes/moments I consider important every few weeks when I find new reactions that entertain me, just to get different perspectives on those moments. For example, it really drove home the point to me that Vol. 1, 2 and 5 are the least important and forgettable to me. I rarely rewatch moments from those volumes aside from the finale to Vol. 5 and...that's about it. And the food figjt.

Surprisingly, its Volume 4 and 6 that end up getting the most rewatches with Vol. 3 being a close third.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2019-08-30 at 05:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Troll in the Playground

Come on, you know this one is one of the trademark Zodi snarky comments.

This is hardly that review I mentioned by the blogger who thought that the girls were somehow ‘dere stereotypes.

Notice here that the reviewer is simply gushing at how RWBY manages to contain elements it actually contains (like darkness, sweetness, sincerity) without getting excessive. The golden mean claim is the only thing Zodi can take issue with and the ideal middle is something philosophers have been debating about since before it was called philosophy.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    RWBY X: Its Semblance is Adaptation
    This one is good. I am not sure if it is going to be my vote yet, but I am just saying thank you to Lord Raziere for this wit.

Notice here that the reviewer is simply gushing at how RWBY manages to contain elements it actually contains (like darkness, sweetness, sincerity) without getting excessive. The golden mean claim is the only thing Zodi can take issue with and the ideal middle is something philosophers have been debating about since before it was called philosophy.
    I agree, yet simultaneously I can make the argument that RWBY is so superficial with those topics to the point of non-sense.

Let's all be honest, RWBY is living tumblr fanart and youtube action fights at its core, and it just has story, music, themes and so on to serve as connective tissue, it is the tumblr fanart and youtube action fights that is the beating heart of rwby while everything else merely serves to connect the points getting from A to B to C.

And that is okay for nonsense like this is why CAMP is enjoyable, it is so bad, RWBY, it can bring a tear to one's eye.

Put another way.

Spoiler: I love this person's disappointed scowl
    Show

And this is why I will always love Sun and Neptune. They are the embodiment of the "aesthetic taste" of RWBY being granted form in two absurd NPCs. They are the reverse-sublimation of the greater whole into a smaller bite size part.

They are a box of chocolates with some of the candies having yucky coconut candies in there, it is a russian roulette, mixing the good but not great, with the okay, and the definite yuck from time to time.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-08-30 at 06:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1429

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Come on, you know this one is one of the trademark Zodi snarky comments.

This is hardly that review I mentioned by the blogger who thought that the girls were somehow ‘dere stereotypes.

You lost me Red.

I enjoy that Ramza has the same sort of thoughts on RWBY I do, but they lead him to like the characters I hate the most.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Troll in the Playground

Interestingly in next season we hit the eventual melting of schnee sisters as we are gonna solve the mystery of ironwood and start the eventual second rebelion for planets peace as girls gonna be fighting weiss's dad and solving the plot. this opens weiss or winter to gain the throne and thanks to white fangs inner cleaning they can open true negotiations between them and establish the most important thing stopping point from ending of the world. this kinda deals huge blow on the salems faction as their maiden is AWOL on revenge mission. plus if rooster teeth plays their cards right enough they can return few characters back ( personaly want pyra to be return).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Interestingly in next season we hit the eventual melting of schnee sisters as we are gonna solve the mystery of ironwood and start the eventual second rebelion for planets peace as girls gonna be fighting weiss's dad and solving the plot. this opens weiss or winter to gain the throne and thanks to white fangs inner cleaning they can open true negotiations between them and establish the most important thing stopping point from ending of the world. this kinda deals huge blow on the salems faction as their maiden is AWOL on revenge mission. plus if rooster teeth plays their cards right enough they can return few characters back ( personaly want pyra to be return).
    Uhhhh... not sure how. Unless it's in a flashback.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Uhhhh... not sure how. Unless it's in a flashback.
    Or Penny for that matter, considering it would be very weird if they could replace her...well...soul.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

23. - Top - End - #1433

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Or Penny for that matter, considering it would be very weird if they could replace her...well...soul.
    I mean, the whole point of making combat machines with souls was so they could go fight Grimm instead of humans.

Making expendable combat machines that are fully sapient and demonstrably have souls would be hellaciously evil.

Penny can probably be rebuilt. I mean, he arms and legs were ripped off but her head and core body seemed fine.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1434

Hey so here's a thought.

Why give them souls in the first place? The Grimm sense emotions. Giving them emotions seems like the opposite of what you want.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey so here's a thought.

Why give them souls in the first place? The Grimm sense emotions. Giving them emotions seems like the opposite of what you want.
    If I had to guess*, it was so they could have all the kung fu forcefield action all normal huntresses get, on top of a chassis that can be run over by a van and be OK. It's definitely one of holes in RWBY that's fairly easy to fill in, and I don't think they really have any decent automated fighting machines otherwise?**

*I don't like guessing, it makes me feel like I'm doing RWBY team's work for them.

**I would not be surprised if they do have some, though.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-08-31 at 03:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey so here's a thought.

What is a soul in this setting? Is it the ability to use Aura and Aura is a cool superweapon from Atlas perspective? Or is it the ability to use conscious thought and able to choose between many value sets and thus you are capable of a higher level of intelligence than programmed mindless machines? Or is it something else?

Or is it RoosterTeeth and they haven't figured out their axioms that anchor their world-building and they just do things on whims. Even if it makes no sense, and contradict what occured before or the lore that supposedly is important to this setting?

27. - Top - End - #1437

What is a soul in this setting? Is it the ability to use Aura and Aura is a cool superweapon from Atlas perspective? Or is it the ability to use conscious thought and able to choose between many value sets and thus you are capable of a higher level of intelligence than programmed mindless machines? Or is it something else?

Or is it RoosterTeeth and they haven't figured out their axioms that anchor their world-building and they just do things on whims. Even if it makes no sense, and contradict what occured before or the lore that supposedly is important to this setting?
    Aura is not demonstratably linked to the soul. Aura fuels Semblances, which ARE connected to the soul, we know that due to the maiden powers. So ultimately it's that last point you made.

28. - Top - End - #1438

Back in volume 1 it was explicitly said that the fact that Grimm don't have Aura is evidence that they don't have souls.

That only makes sense if there's a connection between aura and souls.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Aura is not demonstratably linked to the soul. Aura fuels Semblances, which ARE connected to the soul, we know that due to the maiden powers. So ultimately it's that last point you made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Back in volume 1 it was explicitly said that the fact that Grimm don't have Aura is evidence that they don't have souls.

That only makes sense if there's a connection between aura and souls.
    [Agrees with Rater202]

Yeah we had an info dump in Vol 1 when Ren fights the two headed snake while Pryhra simultaneously told Jaune how aura works and unlock his. In that dump she said this.

Aura is the manifestation of our soul. It bears our burdens and shields our hearts
    She also said other livin things had aura / souls except the grimn. Now with our infodump from Vol 6 and the Jinn / Genie we now know why.

And in the world of remant episode about Aura it stated Aura powers emblances, except semblances are more personable to the person. In other locations we learn families may have similar semblances between relatives yet simultaneously it is unique that the Schnee is all Glyphs as the same semblance.

In Vol 3 we learned maiden powers are tied to aura / the soul as well, an once again we learned more in the Vol 6 info dump.

-----

That said I do not take the various forms of magic in RWBY seriously for Roosterteeth does not take its worldbuilding seriously. Anything is possible it is a world setting where new magical superpowers will suddenly be invented to do something cool or in service of the plot.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-08-31 at 07:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey so here's a thought.

Penny wasn't a prototype weapon or anything of that nature. She was an experiment by Atlas to see if they could transfer Aura from one place to another. She was a prototype for the machine in the vault that Amber was in. They only gave Penny combat abilities after the fact because once they had a sapient, arguably living robot girl, what else were they going to do with her?