New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: Let's talk about Tenser's transformation spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    Which classes have access to this spell? Not got xanathars guide yet, eagerly awaiting it to dimp down in my mailbox. :)
    https://thebombzen.com/grimoire/

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice it wasn't fully updated yet with XGtE...
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-11-22 at 01:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Which classes have access to this spell? Not got xanathars guide yet, eagerly awaiting it to dimp down in my mailbox. :)
    Only wizards have it on their spell list. Bards and arcana clerics can steal it, of course. In theory arcane tricksters and eldrtich knights could cast it from a scroll.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well the book does give one easy option for a wizard to put on heavy armor quickly for this spell. In the common magic items area of the book there is an armor that allows you to put it on using a command word as an action. So you could use an action to cast TT and then on the next round you can spend an action to put on your plate. NOt the best action economy but certainly doable.

As a further bonus it is not an item that requires attunement.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    Only wizards have it on their spell list. Bards and arcana clerics can steal it, of course. In theory arcane tricksters and eldrtich knights could cast it from a scroll.
    Ah damn, would have been so much better in warlock hands, tho nice for valor bards/swords to poach tho I guess. :)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a friend playing a Whispers Bard that's thinking of stealing this spell. It also happens to be a bigger buff to Whispers than it is to Blade or Valor, for the extra attack.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Oh, also is it self only buff or could you transform an ally?

7. - Top - End - #67

DruidGirl

Oh, also is it self only buff or could you transform an ally?
    Self

Quote Originally Posted by Saggo View Post
    I have a friend playing a Whispers Bard that's thinking of stealing this spell. It also happens to be a bigger buff to Whispers than it is to Blade or Valor, for the extra attack.
    Yeah it’s like the great equalizer

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

A level 6 spell that you get at level 11. So looking at it from that perspective:

1. 50 temp hit points, 1 hit from almost any single creature you will face at level 11 plus.
    2. advantage on attack rolls, very nice, you will likely hit with your simple and martial weapons. (of course, if you carry them I bet you are already proficient.)
    3. 2d12 force damage on any hit, again, nice. 6th level chain lightning is 10d8 up to 4 targets or disintegrate 10d6+40 would be better.
    4. Armor proficiencies, though again, why carry the weight of what you cannot use all the time. Maybe there's some lying around that fits. While our group does not actively count weight we do get sanity checks, no one is toting around 15 weapons and spare suits of armor.
    5. Proficiency in STR and CON saving throws...awesome, though your average wizard probably has 6 STR and 10 CON so proficiency is of limited help.
    6. you can attack twice (if you don't already have it). Wizard Staff 1d8 plus the aforementioned 2d12 bonus, max damage 32 per attack. Lore Bard is essentially the same...
    7. Immediately after the spell ends DC15 CON Save or be exhausted. Add insult to injury, the spell has already ended, you are no longer proficient.

Why would anyone take this spell, specifically a Wizard? Far better to obey Gandalf and "Fly you fools" or cast a level 6 Fireball/Lightning Bolt/Disintegrate spell and then do almost anything else. I see limited advantage for any other class that can cast wizard spells as well. What am I missing?

Spoiler: Spell Info
    Show
    6th-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self

Components: V, S, M (a few hairs from a bull)

Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You endow yourself with endurance and martial prowess fueled by magic. Until the spell ends, you can’t cast spells, and you gain the following benefits:

You gain 50 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
    You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons.
    When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 2d12 force damage.
    You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
    You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.
    You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.
    Immediately after the spell ends, you must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Strength Based Tortle Blade-Bard, dual-wielding Longswords... probably AL compliant as well

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finger6842 View Post
    A level 6 spell that you get at level 11. So looking at it from that perspective:

1. 50 temp hit points, 1 hit from almost any single creature you will face at level 11 plus.
    2. advantage on attack rolls, very nice, you will likely hit with your simple and martial weapons. (of course, if you carry them I bet you are already proficient.)
    3. 2d12 force damage on any hit, again, nice. 6th level chain lightning is 10d8 up to 4 targets or disintegrate 10d6+40 would be better.
    4. Armor proficiencies, though again, why carry the weight of what you cannot use all the time. Maybe there's some lying around that fits. While our group does not actively count weight we do get sanity checks, no one is toting around 15 weapons and spare suits of armor.
    5. Proficiency in STR and CON saving throws...awesome, though your average wizard probably has 6 STR and 10 CON so proficiency is of limited help.
    6. you can attack twice (if you don't already have it). Wizard Staff 1d8 plus the aforementioned 2d12 bonus, max damage 32 per attack. Lore Bard is essentially the same...
    7. Immediately after the spell ends DC15 CON Save or be exhausted. Add insult to injury, the spell has already ended, you are no longer proficient.

Why would anyone take this spell, specifically a Wizard? Far better to obey Gandalf and "Fly you fools" or cast a level 6 Fireball/Lightning Bolt/Disintegrate spell and then do almost anything else. I see limited advantage for any other class that can cast wizard spells as well. What am I missing?

Spoiler: Spell Info
    Show
    6th-level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: Self

Components: V, S, M (a few hairs from a bull)

Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

You endow yourself with endurance and martial prowess fueled by magic. Until the spell ends, you can’t cast spells, and you gain the following benefits:

You gain 50 temporary hit points. If any of these remain when the spell ends, they are lost.
    You have advantage on attack rolls that you make with simple and martial weapons.
    When you hit a target with a weapon attack, that target takes an extra 2d12 force damage.
    You have proficiency with all armor, shields, simple weapons, and martial weapons.
    You have proficiency in Strength and Constitution saving throws.
    You can attack twice, instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn. You ignore this benefit if you already have a feature, like Extra Attack, that gives you extra attacks.
    Immediately after the spell ends, you must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer one level of exhaustion.
    1. Yes temp hp is nice padding. Probably more like one and a half swings from whatever you are facing.
    2. You are probably already a gish if using this spell or at least took first level in fighter, and advantage is amazing.
    3. With +2d12 damage it only takes 6 attacks to pass up the damage of disintegrate, that's 3 rounds, or 2 if you are using PAM.
    4. Yes, this part is pointless.
    5. Also pointless if you started fighter, but wait... your average wizard has 10 con! That's an awful wizard. Every wizard should have at least 14, and I usually start mine with 16.
    6. Again, if you're a gish already this is quite potent.
    7. Just a flavor ability mostly. Don't use it early in the adventuring day, or don't bother about it because if it's that important the cleric can cast greater restoration at this level.

Not every spell is useful for every wizard (or bard), but some are extremely potent in the right hands. My fighter 1/abjurer 11 is just the perfect character for this spell. He has a high strength and uses PAM with his staff and shield. This spell adds 39 average damage to his 3 attacks, and then probably about 50 total DPR increase if you factor the advantage in. Although, unless they make an adventure in AL with a scroll of this... he'll never use it. Damn +1 rule.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    1. Yes temp hp is nice padding. Probably more like one and a half swings from whatever you are facing.
    2. You are probably already a gish if using this spell or at least took first level in fighter, and advantage is amazing.
    3. With +2d12 damage it only takes 6 attacks to pass up the damage of disintegrate, that's 3 rounds, or 2 if you are using PAM.
    4. Yes, this part is pointless.
    5. Also pointless if you started fighter, but wait... your average wizard has 10 con! That's an awful wizard. Every wizard should have at least 14, and I usually start mine with 16.
    6. Again, if you're a gish already this is quite potent.
    7. Just a flavor ability mostly. Don't use it early in the adventuring day, or don't bother about it because if it's that important the cleric can cast greater restoration at this level.

Not every spell is useful for every wizard (or bard), but some are extremely potent in the right hands. My fighter 1/abjurer 11 is just the perfect character for this spell. He has a high strength and uses PAM with his staff and shield. This spell adds 39 average damage to his 3 attacks, and then probably about 50 total DPR increase if you factor the advantage in. Although, unless they make an adventure in AL with a scroll of this... he'll never use it. Damn +1 rule.
    I thought most GISH could not use this spell but assuming he could as in your example, wouldn't he likely already be proficient in STR and CON? I agree with you, this is a lovely DPR bump, no question about it. How does a level 1 fighter have 3 attacks? I feel like i'm still missing something. This spell is intriging but I just can't find a combo that would effectively use it. As the OP indicated you simply can't don armor quickly enough, A true GISH likely started with the Fighter/Cleric level to get the armor proficiency and STR/CON ST combo. In my experience avoid any level of exhaustion like the plague, it will haunt you. Wizard's are much harder to hit than they get credit for, shield is an awesome spell so 50 HP is nice, better than your average large heal by far. Unable to cast spells is functionally a no go for me but then I make heavy use of counterspell and haste. Apart from homebrew magic items I haven't seen anything that counters the armor problem.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The main problem Tenser's has now is similar to Haste: it's concentration, and if you fail your concentration (which is common at high levels even with the CON proficiency the spell gives you), you need to make another CON save (without proficiency this time) or gain a level of exhaustion. In a long adventuring day, that can really cripple you. If you're planning a build around this, be sure to grab War Caster.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    The main problem Tenser's has now is similar to Haste: it's concentration, and if you fail your concentration (which is common at high levels even with the CON proficiency the spell gives you), you need to make another CON save (without proficiency this time) or gain a level of exhaustion. In a long adventuring day, that can really cripple you. If you're planning a build around this, be sure to grab War Caster.
    War Caster, excellent point there Specter. Definately something the OP was looking for.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

The game is full of spells that you use very deliberately in the right situation. This spell feels more to me like a panic button.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

My personal considerations about putting the spell to good use:

1) War Caster, as mentioned above. There are two CON saves involved in this spell, regular concentration and avoiding exhaustion, so you want this feat.
    2) I'd go for two-weapon fighting. The extra 2d12 is much better than a higher damage dice from bigger weapons or +2 to AC.
    3) As for armor, you could use Contigency. "When I cast Tenser's, this armor immediately dons itself around me". I think that's valid.
    4) Even with advantage, you still want a high DEX and if possible two magic weapons to make sure you hit.
    5) A bow is also a viable option if you're low on health, even with the temp HP.

16. - Top - End - #76

For War Caster, it looks like some people might be thinking it gives Advantage on all Constitution Saving Throws, but it's only on Concentration Saving Throws to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage. (I know it's one people have gotten mixed up slightly in our group!)

You have advantage on Constitution saving throws
    that you make to maintain your concentration on a
    spell when you take damage.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    For War Caster, it looks like some people might be thinking it gives Advantage on all Constitution Saving Throws, but it's only on Concentration Saving Throws to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage. (I know it's one people have gotten mixed up slightly in our group!)
    You are correct.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about a DEX based 2 weapon fighting gish:

Race: Pick a flavor of Elf
    Fighter 1
    Wizard: pick a flavor of wizard X
    Feat 1 @level5 = Elven Accuracy
    ASI @level9 = Max out Dex

By the time you get the spell at level 12 (a ridiculously long time for a build to come online, imho) you can get:

*2 attacks per round
    *an extra 2d6 per attack
    *Trivantage on every attack roll

overall, not too bad. If you're doing the Fighter 1/wizard X thing anyway, it's probably worth it, but I'm having a hard time picturing any other scenario when it makes sense other than cleric 1/wizard x and some bards.
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

19. - Top - End - #79

Kobold

Race: Eladrin
    Class: bladesinger wizard
    Feat: duel wielder, elven Accuracy (don't need warcaster blade song gives advantage on con saves and if you are going to cast a spell you can drop then pick back up a sword for free.)
    Weapons: 2 rapier's (if you don't like 2 rapier's just full them as so other thin bladed sword.)
    At 14 level your doing 3d8+25+6d12. (25=dex+dex+int+int+int)
    Your AC is high with your bladesong and mage armor. 13+5+5+1=24

Race: v-human
    Class: fighter 2, Adj wizard 18 (just for a full 20th lv)
    Feat's: PAM, Sentinel (and if you can fit in warcaster or tough)
    Fighting style: +1 AC
    Weapon: glave
    AC 19 not the bests but it ok you got arcane ward and 50 temp hp.
    Attack: 2d10+1d4+6d12+15 that's better the a firebolt 4d10

20. - Top - End - #80

Kobold

I can also see a necromancer using it. Leave one slot open for it then witn the moble feat mage armor and duel daggers. Pop in hit, hit, and hit for 3d4+6d12+10 is better then a cantrip. Just give the undead the command attack anything I attack. Then jump some sorry Bassterd then jump behind one of your undead. While they sworm him.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2017-11-24 at 09:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finger6842 View Post
    I thought most GISH could not use this spell but assuming he could as in your example, wouldn't he likely already be proficient in STR and CON? I agree with you, this is a lovely DPR bump, no question about it. How does a level 1 fighter have 3 attacks? I feel like i'm still missing something. This spell is intriging but I just can't find a combo that would effectively use it. As the OP indicated you simply can't don armor quickly enough, A true GISH likely started with the Fighter/Cleric level to get the armor proficiency and STR/CON ST combo. In my experience avoid any level of exhaustion like the plague, it will haunt you. Wizard's are much harder to hit than they get credit for, shield is an awesome spell so 50 HP is nice, better than your average large heal by far. Unable to cast spells is functionally a no go for me but then I make heavy use of counterspell and haste. Apart from homebrew magic items I haven't seen anything that counters the armor problem.
    A level 1 fighter makes 3 attacks with this spell provided he has a bonus action attack via TWF or PAM. My character I mentioned has PAM, typically using Haste, my strategy was to BB, Haste Attack, bonus action PAM attack. With Tenser's it'd be attack action (2 attacks), bonus action PAM attack. So with my 19 str (gauntlets) and +2 staff it's (1d6+8+2d12)*2 + 1d4+8+2d12 all +10 to hit with advantage.

The con saves aren't a huge deal, as a fighter 1 I have proficiency. The lack of ability to use reaction spells such as shield, absorb elements, and counterspell is a bit of a damper though.
    Last edited by PeteNutButter; 2017-11-24 at 10:59 AM.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Reading through xanthars, there's a common magic armor than specifically can be donned in an action. It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

How about casting it from a scroll? It's a pity that it's a level 6 spell; if it were level 5, it could be loaded into a ring of spell storing.

24. - Top - End - #84

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Reading through xanthars, there's a common magic armor than specifically can be donned in an action. It's not a perfect solution, but it works.
    It's armor that you can doff (i.e., take off) as an action. Still takes the normal time to put on.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

It's armor that you can doff (i.e., take off) as an action. Still takes the normal time to put on.
    Ah. Misread that then.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.