New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Sentinels of Houshen [D&D 5E] Thread: II

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer
    HP: 45/45 AC: 15 Concentrating on: --

At Guiren's words, Aya's thoughts flash back to her own "apprenticeship" among the shouren. Her face turns sour as she scolds the petjar. "Are you suggesting we sell her? That's worse than what I suggested."
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guiren

Guiren screws his face, What?! I'm talking about paying someone to teach her how to do something. Can't just be dropping her off at someone's doorstep. But... if she can learn a skill, it could keep her off the streets. For the rest of her life even.

It's got to be worth someone's time to teach her though.

Anyways, he says, trying to veer a little off topic, is the girl good at anything? Is there something she likes to do?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer

"She's a child, for heaven's sake. By definition, she's not good at anything.Aya pauses and tilts her head to the side, considering. "Well, we had a tea party." She ponders for a few moments. "A tea shop? Maybe the innkeeper? We made such a good impression with him."

Show

4. - Top - End - #94

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock
    HP 39/39 | AC: 15 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell Save DC: 16
    | Conc: --

Jiafa grinned as Xing said she would be ruined if the news got out.

"Glad to see you understand the seriousness of the situation."

At the rest of what she said, he considered her words before replying.

"At this point, Miss Xing, we have gone up against a legendary Shouren commander long thought dead and a Kraken and come out on top. A martial artist holds no sway by comparison." He brushed his coat off. "In any case, that will do quite nicely. Pleasure doing business with you, Miss Xing."

The tiefling wandered back over to the others. "If you are all ready to depart, we have that earlier appointment to keep."

Spoiler: Upon getting out of earshot of anyone else...
    Show
    "So the shopkeeper couldn't tell me much, but apparently the Blue Legion's main agent in town is an Earth Genasi named Feng Yun. She participates in illegal martial arts fights at an underground club near the Bleeding Boulder. Apparently she's undefeated, so we should probably not just run in blind."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 4/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 3/3

Xingxing nods his head listening to Jiafa's explanation of what he had learned. "Hmm so whats our game plan? Should one of us challenge her to a fight and get info out of her when we win or watch him for a bit?" He trails off thinking to himself before continuing... "I could try to transform into a huge beast and grapple her down?"

Not sure how to proceed best Xingxing attempts his hand at a few suggestions.
    Last edited by Relkin; 2018-01-08 at 12:27 PM.
    Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer
    HP: 39/39 AC: 15 Concentrating on: --

Aya listens to Jiafa's report. "Could we not just turn them over to the guards...then wait to see who comes to the defense of Fen Yung? Follow them from there?"

Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Guiren

She's a child, for heaven's sake. By definition, she's not good at anything. Aya pauses and tilts her head to the side, considering. Well, we had a tea party. She ponders for a few moments. A tea shop? Maybe the innkeeper? We made such a good impression with him.

Guiren considers Aya's suggestion, The innkeeper is a good idea. Lighting his place on fire was not. Still, it is worth the try. For the girl's sake.

Soon Jiafa returns, If you are all ready to depart, we have that earlier appointment to keep.

Guiren nods slightly at the priest, not sure if the man is involved with the drug trade. He makes eye contact with the cart owner but does not say goodbye. Once they are away from the pair, Jiafa fills them in, So the shopkeeper couldn't tell me much, but apparently the Blue Legion's main agent in town is an Earth Genasi named Feng Yun. She participates in illegal martial arts fights at an underground club near the Bleeding Boulder. Apparently she's undefeated, so we should probably not just run in blind.

Xingxing nods his head listening to Jiafa's explanation of what he had learned. Hmm so whats our game plan? Should one of us challenge her to a fight and get info out of her when we win or watch him for a bit? He trails off thinking to himself before continuing... I could try to transform into a huge beast and grapple her down?

Guiren shakes his head, She is dangerous Xing. When we first came to Xiamen, I participated in some of these fights. They talk about her. She's not just undefeated, she's ruthless. Few last more than a minute against her. She uses some strange diquiren technique. It is said to be a brutal style. His hand curls into a fist, I wanted to test my mettle against her when I first heard of her, but she no longer fights throughout the week. He looks to Jiafa, They say she only shows up to fight a couple of times in the month.

Could we not just turn them over to the guards...then wait to see who comes to the defense of Fen Yung? Follow them from there?

Guiren scratches his chin, Well, we don't have any evidence. Would they believe us? The guards from last night seemed friendly and helpful.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer

Aya nods in agreement with Guiren. "Most of the fire was outside. I suppose I will speak with him. I hope it will not set us back so much that it will have an effect on our ability to repair our ship."

When the conversation comes around to proof she contributes, "It seems the journal would be proof enough."

Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Guiren

Oh right, the journal, Guiren says in response to Aya, yes, that could avoid the need for a fight in the arena... he says, trailing off in thought.

10. - Top - End - #100

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

"I would rather avoid the involvement of the guards, if we can help it. They have already proven suspicious of me for no adequate reason, and having the ledger in our possession gives us more in the way of options. If we can take down a Kraken, I am sure we can handle a cage fight."

Jiafa avoided mentioning that he had promised to keep Miss Xing's betrayals a secret for the time being.

11. - Top - End - #101

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 4 / Barbarian 1 | HP 38/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

"One on one? Me or Guiren might be able to take her, but I wouldn't count on it."

Qianal thinks for a moment.

"You know, we did ... get a small army of goutou ren last night. That might be ... good for intimidation purposes."
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

12. - Top - End - #102

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

"Oh, most definitely. But let us keep that in reserve as our trump card. In the meantime, with Aya's help, I am sure I can get close enough to schmooze some information out of her."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer

Aya nods in agreement with Jiafa. She concentrates a moment, waves her hand over her face and mutters an incantation. Suddenly, the charcoal-haired woman she had assumed the form of the previous day stands before the group again. "Let's check her out."

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

The party meanders over to the Bleeding Boulder. It is located in a residential area. The neighborhood lies on the edge of the outer ring, the abandoned part of town. There is trash and debris strewn across the street. Parts of the road have crumbled, revealing the sewer lines. Holes have been carved into the large pipes, so people can gain access to the sewers. The whole area has a fetid, nasty smell to it. The Bleeding Boulder is a large two-story timber framed building. Even from the outside, it is obvious that the tavern has a sprawling basement. A single, stone tower rises up out of the tavern at a severe angle. Word on the street is that the tower is where Phạm Mai Ly, a wealthy Conkhi sorceress resides.

The tavern is what you might expect of a seedy dive bar in the bad part of town. A hodge podge of chairs and tables, all of which look like they have been repeatedly broken and repaired. Cutthroats and cutpurses abound. Everyone has the general look of being poor, desperate for money and ready to do anything for the next big score. The people inside all stare at Aya, their eyes pouring over her, desperately trying to find her coin purse. Most everyone gives a curt nod to Jiafa as he meanders in.

In the middle of the tavern, a twenty-foot wide hole has been cut out of the floor, revealing the cavernous basement. Directly under the hole is a twenty-four foot wide circular ring, enclosed by thick black hempen rope. The ring is empty. From this vantage point, chairs can easily be seen, all lined up around the ring in a crescent shape. Clearly, high rollers sit in chairs, while the chaff stand or watch from up here.

The barkeep is a nearly black furred Petjar and deep, scabbed over gashes that cover his face like parched earth. He pours two wooden steins of... Foul smelling alcohol and pushes them over to Aya and Jiafa. His voice is unexpectedly deep, "Rooms are charged by the hour. Discount if you pay for the whole night. Day cook is an idiot and terrible at his job. He’s making some fish. Might be burnt. No guarantees. I'd fire him if he didn't work for less than nothing."
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #105

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Having earlier secured his coin purse inside his robes to reduce the risk of it getting cut, Jiafa inquired briefly regarding the cost of the drinks before pushing payment over and taking a sip.

Astringent, nauseating, and liable to turn you blind. Just like how Mama used to make it. If I'd had one.

Looking over to the pit, Jiafa hemmed a bit as the bartender mentioned the room prices.

"That depends. What've you got for... entertainment tonight?"
    He nodded slightly toward the pit.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

The barkeep winks at the tiefling, "A few casual fights with some up and comers. The main event will be Feng Yun fighting two Kongren brothers. Should be a good fight. Taking bets, if you are interested. Two to 1 odds on the brothers."
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #107

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 4/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 3/3

Leaning against the tavern door Xingxing turns to Guiren and Quinal. "Hmm, we should probably all head in and grab some separate tables and be hidden backup in case things go south? What do you all think?"
    Last edited by Relkin; 2018-01-15 at 07:23 AM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

18. - Top - End - #108

Guiren

I think that's a good idea, Guiren says, nodding to Xingxing and Qianal. I don't trust Aya to carry out this plan... without incident. With a frown, he walks into the Bleeding Boulder and looks for a table that will fit him and Qianal, as well as Xing.

19. - Top - End - #109

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

"Hrm... 20 Cash on the brothers, then."
    Jiafa proffered his bet to the bartender. "I've heard some rather interesting rumors about Feng Yun. Mostly involving intestines. Think she'll stick around after?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Aya Re
    Fifth level sorcerer
    HP: 39/39 AC: 15 Concentrating on: --

Aya wanders through the tavern, looking around at the patrons and decorations on the wall equally. She smiles at some of the men and women as she makes her way around the building, finally landing at the bar just a few spots down from Jiafa. The plan was going well. Jiafa would be able to get some information, and she was there in case anything went wrong. For the first time, one of their schemes was going off perfectly.

That's when she saw the rest of her team entering and making their way to a table. Oh gods. You can't trust these guys to stick to a plan.

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

The other party members wander in piecemeal. There are several open or lightly occupied tables. They do not pay much mind to any of them entering, except for Qianal. Most of the tougher looking cutthroats eye him up and down, sizing him up, trying to see if they could beat him in a fight.

The barkeep takes Jiafa's money and deposits it in a locked box. He then records Jiafa's name and wager down in a ledger. "Yun? Yeah she likes to rip people's intestines out. Goriest thing I ever saw... The first time I saw it. Once you've seen it twenty-five times, you sort of get... Desensitized to it... Now I just complain about having to pay someone to clean the mess up.

She will stay after the fight... Assuming she wins, of course. She likes to accept challengers. lots of idiots in this world. You one of them?"
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #112

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

"Not really."
    Making a show out of checking that Aya wasn't immediately nearby, he leaned in conspiratorially close. "I may or may not have a thing for women who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Deception to obfuscate Jiafa's true motives.

(1d20+8)[27]

23. - Top - End - #113

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing

Moving in Xingxing finds the group a table as close to the pit as they can sit. He makes a little mental note of Aya and Jiafa's locations before sitting down with the rest to make idle chatter.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

24. - Top - End - #114

Guiren

Guiren realizes that Qianal cuts an imposing image of authority, as the cutthroats size him up, You already look like the biggest imperial templar, he whispers to the longyi, That armor doesn't help. Be ready for anything.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

The man's eyes light up as he leans in to whisper in Jiafa's ear, "If you like those kind of women... Well I may know a few ladies whom I could introduce you to..."
    DMing:

26. - Top - End - #116

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

"I may take you up on that offer if my own overtures aren't successful."
    Jiafa grinned wickedly. "In the meantime, though, just another round."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Unless anyone has suggestions, Jiafa has no more questions for the bartender at this time.

27. - Top - End - #117

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 5 / Barbarian 1 | HP 38/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

Qianal leans in to talk to Guiren. "Hopefully, they'll be intimidated enough not to try anything stupid."
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

28. - Top - End - #118

Guiren

Qianal leans in to talk to Guiren. Hopefully, they'll be intimidated enough not to try anything stupid.

Guiren's left ear flicks a little, This is the exact kind of crowd that doesn't intimidate easy and will try something stupid. Let's hope the fight is on soon to keep them distracted.

After a moment, he regards his compatriot again, Qianal, you're practically a giant. I know a little of what that's like, he says with a chuckle, at least among my own kind. But, I'm still looking up to almost everyone. You on the other hand, can't imagine there's many folk you've had to look up to in your life. A longyi like you, they must have tried to recruit you into the Empire's service. Have you ever served?

29. - Top - End - #119

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 5 / Barbarian 1 | HP 38/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

Qianal looks down upon Guiren, internally chuckling at the idea of the petjar being considered tall. "I am in service to the Empire. My sword is sworn to my draconic ancestor. I was given to a monastery as a child, and tasked with the burden of serving the ideals of the empire and upholding the law as a ronin samurai."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Aya
    Show
    You head back to the orphan's dilapidated house. As you approach, you see three sickly people standing outside. They are huddled up, constantly looking over their shoulder at the orphan's front door.

Spoiler: At the Shipwright
    Show
    As evening approaches, the party heads back to the docks. The dock master greets everyone warmly. With a sorrowful tone she say, "The ship has suffered extensive damage. What the heck happened?" She pulls out a scroll and starts listing all of the damage. Most of it is superficial and/or easily repaired. The real issues are the beam and the mast. Both are broken and will require extensive work to repair. The mast most of all, as they will need to commission a new one be carved. Since the ship is so large, one will have to be imported from other parts of the province. "All told, it will cost about two thousand sections but if you can scrape together the money, we can make the ship even better than it once was!"

Laster on that evening, the party makes its way back to the skeezy inn in the bad part of town. The whole area is crawling with sleazy people, even more than before. People are crawling in and out of the gaping hole in the storm sewer, especially Laoshu and Conkhi. As you walk into the tavern, the bar is overstuffed with people, none of whom pay the party any mind. All eyes are directed towards the center of the room, down the cut out in the floor. There is a thick Petjar down in the ring currently, warming the crowd up. He is very charismatic, telling jokes and getting the crowd pumped for the first fight of the night. Apparently, it will be between a Mutouren (Wood Genasi) named Shin and a Wusiren (Aasimar) named Lei. Both are tall, fit females, with bulging muscles. Indeed, each looks like they could bet the tar out of anyone they meet. The barkeep can be heard in the background asking for everyone to get their bets in. Lei is favored 1.2 to 1.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-01-23 at 12:15 PM.
    DMing: