New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Sentinels of Houshen [D&D 5E] Thread: II

Guiren Yinghon Feijing Baotsu
    Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 80/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 3/4 | Raging

Guiren hands his axe to Qianal and leans in, Say the words on it to heal the fallen petjar. He won't fully recover, but it will take some of the edge off his wounds. Once I beat her, we can take her while she's licking her wounds down below. He goes to enter the arena but then pauses and turns back to Qianal, If she beats me, well, maybe I'll soften her up for later. With that, he turns to the crowd and throws his hands in the air to a round of cheers and applause. He had seen it done in his short time pit fighting here in Xiamen. He begins to roll his shoulders, and crack the joints in his neck and fingers. Unlike most petjar fighters, Guiren's claws were not sharpened but dull, from his time wielding a smith's hammer and a miner's pickaxe. Instead, his hands balled into large meaty fists at the end of his heavily muscled arms.

As he enters the ring, he whispers a prayer to Aakaash, If you find me a worthy vessel, grant me the power to dispense justice to this savage. Justice for her brutality, and justice for the crimes she commits in league with the Blue Legion.

He gives a curt nod to the referee without taking his eyes off of Yun, then says What are the rules?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bonus Action as he prays - Rage

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng
    Level 6 Monk | HP: 39/39 | AC: 17 | Ki: 6/6

Feng grimaced as his prediction came true and the petjar wrestler wasn't allowed escape.

Then the other petjar not only accepted Yun's challenge, but taunted her back! The man deserved nothing but admiration - [I]that[\I] was the spirit of a true warrior. It almost made him feel ashamed of not having been more proactive, the only extenuating circumstance being the will to follow the Middle Path (and, well, his aversion to pit-fighting rings).

That same admiration was, however, what now chained him: he wasn't worried about the fight being fair - Yun didn't deserve fairness - but jumping inside the ring to help the petjar would be insulting him, because it'd mean Feng didn't think him capable of defeating her without ever having seen him fight.

"Show her what being a true warrior means!" he shouted, encouragement being the only thing he could offer.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

3. - Top - End - #213

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock
    HP 39/39 | AC: 15 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell Save DC: 16
    | Conc: --

Jiafa frowned.

Guiren, you absolute fool. You're going to get yourself killed.

Cracking his knuckles, Jiafa tried to circles as best he could toward Yun's side of the ring.

If and when this goes south, I will need to be able to cast Suggestion ASAP.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Jiafa will not interfere if Guiren, against the odds, manages to do well. However, if Yun at any point reduces him to less than one HD worth of HP, he will cast Suggestion on her.

"I suggest you take no actions except those I explicitly order of you."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 5 / Barbarian 1 | HP 46/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

Qianal takes the axe, and looks it. "Guiren, you know I can heal on my own-" He whispers, but Guiren is already walking away. He sighs, and makes a prayer for Guiren's life. "May the Metal Tortoise guide your hand."

Walking over to the injured fighter, he pulls him aside and pulses his hands with glowing white light, allowing heal magic to flow out of his soul into the fighter.

Show
    Spending 10 points of Lay on Hands to heal the other guy. Don't want to use everything on him.
    Last edited by UrsusArctos; 2018-03-30 at 03:20 PM.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

The crowd cheers as Guiern enters the ring.

The barkeep upstairs can be heard saying that he has put 2 to 1 odds on Guiren NOT dying.

Even while on the other side of the ring, the imposing woman towers over the petjar. Her voice is smooth like silk and husky like a hoppy beer, "The rules are simple - you are to crush your enemies, see them broken before you, and to hear the adulation of the crowd!

The woman takes up a tiger style martial arts position. With her left hand, she gestures for Guiren to come, "Let us do this..."

Spoiler: Guiren
    Show
    She is going to just stand there, waiting for you to strike, so you have the initiative!
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #216

Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 80/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 4/4

Guiren narrows his eyes at the woman as she stands there. With her left hand, she gestures for Guiren to come, Let us do this... Guiren strides over and engages her, throwing powerful punches her way. He is not a trained martial artist, and Guiren's style can't be mistaken for being refined. But he has experience, and his punches are strong and fast and confident.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show

Bonus Action - Rage
    Move to Q35
    Action - Attack vs Yun w/Reckless Attack
    Attack 1 vs AC - (1d20+8)[11], (1d20+8)[9]
    Attack 2 vs AC - (1d20+8)[17], (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage 1 - 8 damage
    Damage 2 - 8 damage

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

The woman allows Guiren to hit her two times. The petjar's first blow bonuses off the woman. She grunts slightly as his fist lands a solid blow on her stomach.

Yun then stands up straight. She towers over the barbarian. In a flash, the martial artist hops up onto one leg and then proceeds to quickly and furiously slams her foot into Guiren's face with a devastating series of kicks!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+6)[16] / (1d20+6)[16] -> (1d8+4)[6]
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[23] / (1d20+6)[12] -> (1d8+4)[10]
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[26] / (1d20+6)[23] -> (1d8+4)[11]
    Attack 4: (1d20+6)[11] / (1d20+6)[25] -> (1d8+4)[5]
    DMing:

8. - Top - End - #218

Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 65/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 3/4

Guiren growls as he shakes off the rain of blows from Yun's lightning fast kicks. He underestimated her and she took advantage of his recklessness. Her reach is significant though, and if Guiren wants to strike her he'll have to get within range of her deadly kicks. He waits for a final strike of her leg before jutting in outside of the kick and throwing more punches her way.

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show
    Action - Attack vs Yun
    Attack 1 - (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage - 8
    Attack 2 - (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage - 8

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Guiren lands two solid body blows. Seeing the petjar is no mere pushover, Yun leaps into the air and comes down hard with a flying kick. She then lands on her left foot, whirls around and rockets a punch into the Petjar's snout! She then takes two quick jabs with her right foot at the barbarian's left knee.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+6)[20] -> (1d8+4)[7]
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[19] -> (1d8+4)[12]
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[26] -> (1d8+4)[8]
    Attack 4: (1d20+6)[8] -> (1d8+4)[9]

If an attack hits: Stunning Strike: (1d20+8)[25] v CON. If successful, you are stunned until the end of Yun's next turn.

DMing:

10. - Top - End - #220

Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 52/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 3/4

Guiren lands two good blows on Yun but she barely notices, returning the favor with several well placed kicks and punches. A strike to his snout causes his eyes to water and momentarily stuns him. Too fast! he thinks.

11. - Top - End - #221

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 3/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 2/3

Seeing Guiren take a wollep begins to set Xingxing on edge... They may need to jump in to save him. Just then the Petjar lands a good punch that Yun obviously felt! He can do this...He just needs a bit more time!

Xingxing moves around the ring to get a better view, and to get himself out of earshot from anyone who may be listening. He finally gets a visual contact with Guiren again just as Yun lands a couple of hard blows, leaving a stunned look on Guirens face. Not good!

Xingxing quickly whispers to himself in druidic, words passed onto him when he first trained. He speaks the healing word over the Petjar, hoping to give him the extra edge he needs.

Show
    Bonus Action: Healing Word - Using a 3rd level spell slot for (3d4+3)[10] HP on Guiren

Last edited by Relkin; 2018-04-09 at 06:55 AM.
    Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Few notice the second wind that Guiren seems to have caught. Fewer still notice the spell Xing cast to cause it. One man, directly opposite Xing mouths, "Thank you" to the tiny monkey man. A drunk Houren pushes Xing to the side. He is a tall Houren, brimming with muscles. "Hey you! You castin' spells!? TRYIN' TO CHEAT! Bet you're turning filth to gold over here. Why I oughta teach you a lessen!" The Houren pushes Xing fairly fiercely, causing the monkey man to stumble back a few steps...

Like the crowd, Yun and Guiren do not take notice. Yun pummels the badger man for yet more damage! She leaps high up into the air and drives her foot down into the barbarian's skull. She lands on her left foot, pivots around and hits Guiren for three vicious kicks to the face.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1: (1d20+6)[22] -> (1d8+4)[7]
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[18] -> (1d8+4)[5]
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[26] -> (1d8+4)[10]
    Attack 4: (1d20+6)[14] -> (1d8+4)[12]

Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-04-09 at 06:58 PM.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #223

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Spotting trouble, Jiafa quickly sidled up to the fellow accosting Xing-Xing.

"Come on now, gaffer. You're seeing things. Do you really think if there was any funny stuff going on that someone else wouldn't have seen it, huh? Now hush, this is getting good."

Show
    Bluffing to try and convince the guy to back off. Per fel, I have advantage since he is drunk.

Deception: The highest of (1d20+8)[21] or (1d20+8)[15].

14. - Top - End - #224

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 5 / Barbarian 1 | HP 46/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

Seeing the Xing being acosted by an unruly Houren, Qianal rises to stand next to his allies. He looks at the Houren, and "smiles" - knowing that his smile is a fanged and intimidated look. Catching Guiren's attempt to placate the Houren, the paladin decides not to try and intimidate him.
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Caide

As he hears the accusation of someone turning filth to gold, Caide blinks and looks around, wondering if someone had recognized him. Calming down when he realizes that this isn't the case, he lets his eyes stray back towards the fight. He wasn't usually a spectator to these kinds of events, but he could feel the events were turning more and more against the Petjar opponent. He watches as more and more people around the match get plenty excited, and thinks for a moment. Perhaps the crowd's fervor could be used to their advantage. He looks around for a moment, before pulling the pearwood wand from inside his shirt. He waits for a moment where all eyes are on the spectacle in the fight before giving his wrist a small flick, causing a shout from somewhere in the crowd a ways off from his own position. "Someone stop the fight, Yun's cheating!"

Perhaps if Yun could be goaded into lashing out towards someone in the crowd, the guards would allow for some intervention...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, let's see if we can't poke the bear...

Casting Minor Illusion to create a shouting voice from the crowd on the south side of the ring.

16. - Top - End - #226

Guiren

Guiren stumbles backward a couple steps as he finally regains his composure. He felt some of the edge taken off his wounds but then endured another withering rain of blows from Yun's feet and fists. She is clearly the better martial artist. Guiren gains control over his breathing, never taking his eyes off Yun, who seems still posed and confident. He thinks gratitude to Aakaash for letting him be here and, with a growl, swoops in to lock Yun in a hold. Her reach, speed, and accuracy are greater than his, but he is still the stronger of the two. He knocks her to the ground and tries to keep her there.

Spoiler: Turn 4
    Show
    Action - Attack vs Yun
    Attack 1 - Shove - (1d20+8)[27], (1d20+8)[19]
    Success - Knock Yun Prone (Disadvantage on Attacks, grants Advantage to Melee Attacks)
    Attack 2 - Grab - (1d20+8)[12], (1d20+8)[28]
    Success - Yun is Grabbed (Speed 0).

Guiren is Raging so he has Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks.

Also, rolling for critical hits because it looks like Yun has crit me a few times at this point (makes sense given her high number of attacks). I didn't notice until this last batch and remembered seeing a roll of 26 before so I double checked. So should be another 3d8 damage --> (3d8)[17]. Additionally, Yun would have advantage on those last four attacks because Guiren was stunned, so I'll roll those as well just in case of a crit or if attack 4 actually hits (I swear I'm not a masochist!).

Attack 1 - (1d20+6)[20]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[10]
    Attack 4 - (1d20+6)[17]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Yun is surprised by the ferocity of the petjar, barely able to hold back his mighty swings.

Suddenly, someone in the crowd starts to yell about cheating. Then someone else, and more people start to.

Just as Yun is about to give her furious retort to Guiren the ref clambers up onto the stage and calls a time out.

"What's this I've been hearing about CHEATING!? WHO CHEATED!? AND WHEN!?

Yun laughs, "The only cheater here is you, little referee. You interrupted my fight. I don't like to be interrupted..."

The referree takes three steps back, clearly looking like he will bolt the moment Yun inches closer to him.

The crowd starts booing loudly. Upstairs, you can hear people screaming about wanting their money back.

Away from the party, someone in the crowd throws a punch. That punch is responded to with a punch... Then more people get involved. In a matter of seconds, fully a quarter of those in the stands are punching, kicking, shoving, pushing and biting one another. It is an all out rumble...
    DMing:

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

Feng had been watching the fight carefully, ready to jump in if the petjar appeared in danger - though it didn't seem like he needed any help. Then, just when it seemed he had managed to restrain her, someone shouted about cheating and - ripple effect on the crowd aside - the referee called for a time out, drawing Yun's hostility...and providing him with the perfect excuse to step up.

I really didn't think I'd be stepping again inside a ring so soon. he thought for the umpteenth time, then quickly reached the referee and interposed himself between the man and Yun.

"And yet, seems to me you're the one benefitting from the interruption." Feng taunted her. "This man is simply doing his job, you will not harm him."

His plan was really simple: pretend his motive for stepping up was simply to protect the referee, thing thast would hopefully put the guards on his side if it ever cam to it, and provoke Yun into attacking him (which didn't really seem that difficult, she appeared to have quite the temper), so he could join the fight.

Show
    Readying an Attack action to be triggered if Yun approaches to attack either Feng or the referee (before her own attacks, ideally), plus Stunning strike if either attack hits (if both hit and she resists the first stun, I'll attempt a second).

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

19. - Top - End - #229

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Hei Jiafa pinched the bridge of his nose as chaos erupted in the ring. This was far more than he'd wanted, although thankfully, none of them except Guiren had gotten caught in the crossfire. This newcomer, however...

Two on one will help even the odds if he joins in, but then that will make it all the harder to interrogate her afterward.

As usual, he simply watched and waited, trying to avoid the pockets of brawlers.

20. - Top - End - #230

Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 38/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 3/4

There's a commotion in the crowd but Guiren focuses on the fight. He has Yun in a hold that she is struggling to escape from. If he can hold here and get his punches in, he may be able to win the fight, and the brutal warrior woman would be in little position to refuse their questions afterwards. It isn't until he hears the referee behind him calling a time out that Guiren realizes something is up.

Guiren growls from his position in the hold, Now you want to stop the fight?! Back off!

But the referee continues, What's this I've been hearing about CHEATING!? WHO CHEATED!? AND WHEN!?

Guiren barks out in anger and lets Yun go from the hold, giving her a shove away from him. She laughs, The only cheater here is you, little referee. You interrupted my fight. I don't like to be interrupted...

The man from earlier at ringside also steps into the ring, And yet, seems to me you're the one benefiting from the interruption. This man is simply doing his job, you will not harm him.

The crowd begins to get restless and a large number of them begin their own brawl. Guiren bares his teeth in frustration, Luck was with you tonight Yun, he says pointing at her, You were on your way to your first loss.

As the crowd begins to lose control, Guiren glances at the others to see if they've been swept up in the violence.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Tong Caide

Watching the referee actually pause the fight for a moment sent several feelings through the Laoshu who had instigated the interruption. Guilt and anger flashed in his mind over and over again. Just when the Petjar seemed to have the upper hand too! Fine time for the referee to suddenly care about the fariness of the fight AFTER Yun had already maimed the previous fighter. And now his companion had stepped into the ring as well... He gulps, and looks around, silently hoping he hadn't just ruined the entire plan.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

The crowd becomes more and more restless, some even going so far as to fling empty bottles. Several of those bottle crash into the ring, covering it with sharp shards of glass. Yun looks around in disgust. "This is no fight. This is a brawl. I leave you, little man, this is not worthy of my time."

The martial artist hops off the ring. Two drunken Houren charge the woman. With two quick jabs, Yun breaks the noses of her would be assaulters.

Spoiler: Sorry for the delay
    Show
    I am feeling better today (finally!). What do you guys want to do? She is walking towards the "locker room".
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-04-19 at 09:36 AM.
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

Ah, so that wasn't a fight? Feng choked down several snarky remarks and let Yun walk away, confirming she was headed for the locker room. Finally.

He stepped out of the ring with a dismissive "No need to thank me." to the referee, then glanced around for Caide, nodding slightly in the abovementioned direction once their eyes met to signal his intention of following Yun.

24. - Top - End - #234

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

With all the chaos, it should be easy to get near her.

Jiafa ambled toward Guiren, a casual look on his face, and hissed at him under his breath.

"With all the chaos, we should have an easy time of pinning her down while everyone is distracted. I am going to go invisible and follow her into the locker room. Stay outside, try to keep anyone else from coming in while I work, and keep an ear out for if this gets ugly."

Show
    Jiafa is going to follow Yun at a distance, then, as soon as he's in a spot where he's out of sight, he will cast invisibility and continue to follow her.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Tong Caide

Caide catches the glance from Feng and nods. He makes his way around the pit's edge to find a spot above the hallway where Yun had disappeared to. He once again scans the room for the guards, wondering if any of them are trying to quell the brawls that have erupted around the place.

26. - Top - End - #236

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 3/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 2/3

Startled by the man accusing him Xing isn't sure how to react, luckily Jiafa rushes in to explain the situation and protect the little guy. He puts his arm on Jiafa's shoulder and gives him a nod of appreciation, though Jiafa is quick to realize a stronger sense of confidence within him from the touch.

I'll have to be more careful. Xing thinks to himself. With a sigh of relief he turns back towards the ring only to be startled once again as the ref and crowd begin getting more and more riled followed by a brawl. With fists thrown all around Xings only option is to back out. He heads towards the wall of the room and watches from afar as Yun heads to her locker room. Noting Jiafa's movements Xing nods, The plan is still on. Good.

Looking towards the locker room Xing inspects to see if the guards are leaving to take care of the brawl or not.

Spoiler: OOC Activities
    Show
    Going to cast Guidance on Jiafa before we split up:
    You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a 1d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check. The spell then ends.

Then perception check on the guards to see if they are leaving the locker room door or not: (1d20+8)[10]

Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

27. - Top - End - #237

Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 38/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 3/4

Jiafa walks over as Guiren watches Yun retreat to the fighters' quarters.

With all the chaos, we should have an easy time of pinning her down while everyone is distracted.

I had her pinned Jiafa. She's a better fighter than me, but I'm the stronger. I'd have won.

Jiafa doesn't seem to notice Guiren's musings, I am going to go invisible and follow her into the locker room. Stay outside, try to keep anyone else from coming in while I work, and keep an ear out for if this gets ugly.

Guiren abandons his whimisical fantasy of a victory and replaces it with a grim determination. He nods his head at Jiafa, Be careful. She is lethal Jiafa. The first sign of trouble, call for me. I'll be right outside the door.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Yun saunters into the locker room, with Jiafa slipping in with ease.

Spoiler: Jiafa
    Show
    Inside, the Tiefling is confronted by four Goutou Ren, four burly Houren and a willowy female Wood Genasi. The old woman greets Yun with a smile, "You did good today, child. Your debt will soon be paid in full.

"Good," replies the martial artist, "The sooner the Blue Legion gets off my back, the sooner I can get back to doing what I love.

"Indeed, indeed. Sadly, a new band of interlopers have begun interfering in our machinations. You will need to kill them." The old woman hands the fighter a scroll, "Here are the details. Execute them. Brutally. Without mercy.

After a moment to reflect on the order, the woman adds, "Box their hearts up and give them to Chung."

"As you wish..."

The elderly woman and the Goutou Ren exit the room through a back door.

Yun begins to change clothes, while the other Houren chat among themselves.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-04-30 at 11:32 AM.
    DMing:

29. - Top - End - #239

Jiafa

Hrm. This is not good. It appears the Blue Legion has caught wind of ourr efforts. I shall have to relieve Yun of that scroll. But on the plus side, I now know what the face of her contact looks like, as well as who she reports to. It would be unwise to attempt to Suggest her while the others are in here, though... but perhaps I can take that scroll. Keep her from getting a bead on us.

Jiafa then took stock of the situation, ignoring the half-naked lady as best he could.

Show
    Jiafa will attempt to sneak away with the scroll. Since he is invisible, he has advantage on stealth. Then, if the Wood Genasi left the door open behind her, Jiafa will attempt to pursue her.

Stealth: Best of (1d20+3)[15] or (1d20+3)[9]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

Feng approached the locker room, only to notice the same petjar the challenged Yun standing outside it.

Hmm. Odd.

Though, maybe it was coincidence - only one way to find out. Giving Guiren a respectful nod if he happened to look at him, he pressed forward, intending to enter.