New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default What kind of climate effects would a large altiplano have?

I have a continent that has a large (4-6k feet, ~500-1000 mile wide) plateau/altiplano region running North-South down the middle, with steep escarpments on each side. What kind of climate would you expect downwind (on the other side from the prevailing winds)? My guess is that you'd have the same effects as with the western side of the rocky mountains--wet jungle/rain forest on the upwind side, then dryer on the downwind side. Is that reasonable?

This is a southern-hemisphere continent roughly the size and relative position (to the equator) of Africa if that matters.

Thanks!
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What kind of climate effects would a large altiplano have?

For the Rockies, the west side is upwind. And for the effect of a 4-6k foot altiplano, why look at the rockies, which are a) mountains not plains, and b) a lot higher.

4-6k feet is similar to the high desert region of California (coincidentally, where I've lived for about the last year). Downwind (east) is doesn't fall off so quickly, and it's still the Mojave.

In the actual Altiplano of South America, the prevailing winds are easterly, so we look at the west side, in Chile and Perú. Here we find desert again. But the Altiplano has a lot greater altitude.

Desert makes sense. As air from the upwind side climbs the mountains it cools and drops it's moisture. In mountains without a big plain on top, it's typical to see lots of green on the upwind side and little green on the downwind side. With an altiplano in between, I don't see why that should be different in most cases. So desert seems to be the answer. Mind you, I'm not saying Sahara-like trackless oceans of sand as far as the eye can see, but rather dry and scrubby. Also, you're bound to have rivers running out of the mountains, so they'll provide green stripes through the brown.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Thanks. Does the steepness of the altitude change matter much? Both sides are pretty steep, in most places almost sheer. More like a huge plateau rather than mountains and valleys.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Thanks. Does the steepness of the altitude change matter much? Both sides are pretty steep, in most places almost sheer. More like a huge plateau rather than mountains and valleys.
    Possibly. If it's an effective enough barrier it can deflect the wind to start running parallel to the plateau. Which would make any passages or tunnels on that side of the plateau extremely windy.
    Books = Knowledge = Power = (Force x Distance^2) ÷ Time

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I have a continent that has a large (4-6k feet, ~500-1000 mile wide) plateau/altiplano region running North-South down the middle, with steep escarpments on each side. What kind of climate would you expect downwind (on the other side from the prevailing winds)? My guess is that you'd have the same effects as with the western side of the rocky mountains--wet jungle/rain forest on the upwind side, then dryer on the downwind side. Is that reasonable?

This is a southern-hemisphere continent roughly the size and relative position (to the equator) of Africa if that matters.

Thanks!
    A 4-6k feet altiplano region is actually not especially high. For instance, the actual altiplano of Bolivia averages 12,000 feet (it's really high, I've been there, the altitude hits you hard), and the US Great Basin is more of the 6-8k range with peaks much higher on both sides.

I think the best comparison for what you're looking at is actually the Ethiopian Highlands, which is mostly montane forest and is surrounded by grasslands on both sides. The highlands themselves receive heavy rains compared to their surroundings, making them quite fertile.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting