The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XIII- Luck Costs Extra

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Lost in Thoughts, All Alone?

"Just more proof that nothing's too fowl for the great Lord Magtok," Caelynn teases, peering over the menu to add a good-humored little smirk. Something has clearly influenced her for the worse, but the jury's still out on whether the fault lies in the company of Magtok, or the general state of parenthood. "I was thinking maybe some fish. It's been ages since I've had a good salmon."

The woman chuckles. "I'm afraid I've got my client confidentiality to obey, but I promise I haven't dealt with anything quite so dramatic. A few fun minor colds from worlds I don't know terribly well, but that's been the extent of it." She looks back towards Magtok. "How about you? Anything wild you've had to wrangle in the depths of the Magcave?"
    "Nothing too crazy, but one of the mercenaries helping me clean the place out turned out to be my long-lost mecha pilot daughter. That was kind of a huge, unexpected surprise. See, a few years back, I had three kids just suddenly appear in the Nexus all in the same month, all claiming their father in some other reality was also a Magtok. They were also all telling the truth and not just pulling some crazy trust fund scam, like I first assumed. Crazy, huh?" Also pretty flagrantly unfair. How dare some other Magtok in another dimension get away with bedding their mothers and then not dealing with the bratty consequences themselves?

"Listen, that's not the thing I wanted to talk about, though," the cyborg frowns, his brow creasing with unease. He's got to just say it already; he's not going to get another chance. "Caelynn, I...I love you. I didn't think I was going to, I didn't plan on it. I originally thought I was just going to use you like some kind of emotional stepladder and then dump you once I got my act back together, but obviously that never happened. We're still dating, and so now I'm caught in the dumbest relationship triangle of the century. An evil dragon sorceress has kidnapped a death goddess I used to date back in the day, before a stupid accident got her killed. I'd worked with the dragon to bring her back from the dead after that, not realizing or just not caring the dragon had ulterior motives, but now it's been revealed what she was planning all this time. Now I have to rescue the goddess and slay the dragon to save the world, or else she'll use Libby's power to reshape reality and obliterate us all. That's the easy part. The hard part is when I finally find her, and have to explain I'm kinda already dating someone right now without hurting either of you." That's an...interesting way of looking at things, Magtok. I mean, bringing enough force to bear against a dragon in her own demiplane to keep her from becoming a capital-G God and becoming reality's sole arbiter is the easy part?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    The Original Hooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

Magtoks and Family Drama - Name A More Iconic Duo

Another quasi-stepdaughter? The news takes Caelynn by surprise, but her reaction may not be what Magtok expects, since she lights up with joy rather than recoils with shock or shrinks in worry. Either she really likes being a mother, or she's just happy on Magtok's behalf.

Hopefully the latter, considering how well the last kid she raised turned out.

"Whoa, I totally forgot about that! That's pretty amazing to hear, I'm glad you've been able to reconnect with her." She remembered all too well how it felt to lose contact with her own daughter; it must have been awful to experience something like that four times over.

That cheery look fades as she senses the gravity of the newest topic, ears perking to listen intently. Her brow creases as Magtok speaks more and more, but it's almost definitely sympathy and concern rather than anything wild like betrayal or disappointment. She reaches forward to clasp his hand. "Geez, that's... that's a lot to shoulder." No wonder he had practically broken down back when they first met. "And, well, quite a bit to process....

It takes a second for Caelynn to think of what to say. "I love you, that's not something that's gonna change whether or not there's some terrifying death goddess who would hold a terrible vendetta over it." She looks a little uncomfortable as she ventures a suggestion. "I... I'm not terribly frightened over how she'd react about me, I'm more afraid of how it might affect you." Probably because she doesn't know the woman's personality and doesn't grasp the terrible weight of her wrath and power, she thinks to herself. "I- maybe I could meet her when you pull this thing off, try and help come to some sorta... resolution." Or she could accept the state of being just a rebound like Magtok originally planned, though she's a little scared to suggest it.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-09-14 at 10:20 PM.
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

3. - Top - End - #813

Sadposting with Magtok and Caelynn Again

"So just...figure things out as we go along, then?" Magtok weighs the notion quietly for a moment or two. Is it just being lazy and delaying the inevitable, or was trying to force some kind of answer here and now too hasty and foolish? I mean, waiting certainly sounds a lot better than breaking up with Caelynn right here in the DFI, or plotting to give the funerary goddess the cold shoulder and foist Libitina off on Needs as soon as she's been rescued. There's been something akin to a spark in Needs' eye whenever the subject of Libby has come up lately, but our cyborg's favorite brother can barely even speak most of the time. I don't know if Libby would be willing to put in the effort to learn how to understand him like our Magtok has, and even then, our grasp of Needs is so very full of holes. It would be an insult to the both of them to try to solve his own problems by pushing them together, wouldn't it?

"Yeah, okay. That could work. I mean, that's how I've always done everything, right? Just make it up as I go along, keep throwing train tracks down as the metaphorical locomotive of doom I'm riding is chugging away at a thousand miles per hour and there's a bunch of people tied up at the next intersection and I have to choose whether or not to push a fat man in the way to crash the train or pick the path with less people on it or-" Change the subject, Magtok. It's been almost a whole year of you two dating; she can tell when you're only pretending to be confident.

"Aaaanyway, I don't think you have to worry about her coming after you or anything, though. She's very...I guess you'd call it patient, I guess? I think she'd be more likely to just wait for me to die and go wherever all the other Magtok souls go, rather than try to do anything about us. Wait it out until there's a dead or single Mag to smooch. Divinity gives you a sort of long view of things, I suppose." He lets out a sigh of relief, one he didn't know was being held back until it's already passed. This is going a lot better than we expected it to, isn't it? She's not getting upset at us for not already knowing what to do (pick her, of course), he didn't stupidly suggest some sort of polygamous solution wherein Caelynn would share with a woman she hasn't even met yet, and he hasn't had to take advantage of the DFI's no fighting rule to keep himself from getting mauled for 'cheating' on Caelynn before they started dating again. Don't get me wrong, this whole 'wait and see' strategy isn't exactly perfect, and there's bound to be more drama later, but nobody's been hurt and everyone's fine and the entire world hasn't been destroyed yet, so I'm going to chalk this one up as a win for Team Magtok.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

4. - Top - End - #814

Cracking Open a Sadpost With the Boys

"And quite the standard to measure up to," Caelynn jokes as their orders arrive, pausing the conversation to thank their server and hand over menus. "But I'm sure we can manage to figure things out once we get to them. Things have turned out well for you so far, right? I mean, sure, having to rebuild after a couple years isn't the best of times, but just look at where you started!" The doctor leans closer with a smile, clasping Magtok's hand again. "Think back to all that time before you went off in search of archenemies to vanquish. All those wild plots, all those harebrained schemes and vast financial empires of yours. You built all of that. You've proven yourself far stronger and far cleverer than you think."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-10-01 at 07:32 PM.
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!
    "People wanted to be fooled. They really believed that you found gold nuggets lying on the ground, that this time you could find the Lady, that just for once the glass ring might be real diamond. You had to give them a show.
    ~Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

5. - Top - End - #815

Reservoir Toks

There's a weak, half-hearted smile on Magtok's face at first, as this kind of talk about the good ol' days usually just leaves him feeling wistful and nostalgic, but then he stops to really think about Caelynn's words, and by gods, she's right! We've bounced back from worse than this! We've gone through hell and back, dragged ourselves out of messes hundreds of times worse than this one! Reinholdt and Calublufiok were way bigger threats to the fabric of reality, and now one is dead and the other is just some smelly housecat. Affidavit is just an AI ghost thing, nobody even remembers the KNAVES, and there's not a single person alive these days who has any clue who 'Saurous' was or why Magtok didn't like him. Everyone else has perished, but he's still standing! In fact, our cyborg hasn't even aged a day! Not a day older or wiser, because he also never learned a damn thing from any of those wild and crazy escapades!

"You know what? You're right. I'm going to rob a bank."

Yeah, that's right! We're gonna rob a bank! That'll show everyone! We're going to get a gun, find a suitably vulnerable financial institution in Inside, and-hold on, we're doing what?! Magtok, are you sure about that? Are you...are you really, honestly, totally sure that's the direction you want to take? Did you forget all that prattle shortly after your big return to the Nexus, about trying to be good and honest, about being a better person than you used to be? How does robbing a bank fit into any of that?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

6. - Top - End - #816

As the door opens a sudden blast of wind enters the Inn followed by rain. It is stormy outside even so stormy you would avoid going out at all. Obviously not everyone had this option for one reason or another. A man stands in the door and immediatly closes it behind. The cape he wears is soaked, but as he looks around the Inn he doesn't even think about removing it. He then heads for the bar, avoiding the well known cyborg and his company. He looks out for anyone to talk, but then decides to order a drink first.

"A hardliner, please." he says. "Anything sweet, a Zombie if you serve that."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #817

The man might find Nigel, sitting at a table at a prime spot near the fireplace, looking still slightly damp from the weather outside but improving by the minute. He was determined to salvage his nice night out even if that meant spending all of it sitting by the fire enjoying a small glass of expensive whiskey and reading what looks like an alchemical textbook. God he's such a nerd.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #818

As he notice Nigil at the fireplace he points to the bartender telling her/him that he will take place there. His clothes still wet he takes a seat near Nigil befor he address him.

"Excuse me." he starts. "Do you have a moment? I would like to ask you some questions if you got a minute or two."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK