New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XIII- Luck Costs Extra

Two figures enter the inn. They appeared to be anthropomorphic foxes. One was a woman, tall and lithe with jet black fur, dressed in gauzy layers of deep red. She jingles slightly as she walks, thanks to the bells around her ankles and wrists. Over it all she wore a heavy fur coat, as black as she was. Her companion was a small boy, maybe five years old, similarly wrapped in a heavy black fur coat. His fur was black too, with patches of white at the ears and the tip of his tail. His eyes were an icy blue.

[Off in a Corner]

Spotting the woman with the harp, the fox woman approaches her. She waits for a break in the music before speaking. "Excuse me, miss? Could we beg your help?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

The woman puts her harp down on a stool next to her. I'm not sure what help I can offer, but I can...Hey, stop that! Kulpa Mere Sruth! her words trail off into an exclamation as the little boy reaches over and tugs on the fox-boy's tail.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

The fox-boy yips as his tail is pulled and he hides on the other side of the older fox, away from the little boy. He clings to the heavy coat she wears and buries his face in it.

The fox woman places a hand on his head, but spares no ill will towards the boy who pulled his tail. She just looks... weary.

"I am a dancer." She explains to the other woman. "I need music to dance. I will split the money with you."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Ashley lets out a chuckle. "None taken, witches are cool. I'd love to meet a coven one day." Ashley isn't technically a witch, but why fret over details? There are as many names for magicians as there are magicians. "I mean, I've thought about it, but I don't have the money to start a school, and honestly, I don't know if I could deal with teaching whole groups."
    "I'll let you know if I run into a coven and survive." The risk of danger probably wouldn't be from the coven themselves, but rather whatever mischeviousness Rein is getting into at the time.

Reinholdt glances briefly at the newcomers before continuing. "Ah, funding. I have somewhat of the reverse problem myself. I have the funding and have been meaning to open up an orphanage in one of the big cities. Not a magical one of course." Though Rein suspects there would be an abnormally high number of magical girls anyways. "But when it comes to... caretaking, I can't claim to have the best experience. I'd be better off as a guardian or a patron. I've been meaning to look around for a business partner. Someone good at taking care of a large number of kids. Wouldn't happen to know anyone?" Networking! Fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

[Off in a Corner

The woman looks at the boy for a minute first. Kulpa, go sit on the stool. The boy hesitates for a moment, but sits down and proceeds to make funny faces. She turns to the fox lady. That I can do. My name is Candace, by the way. Could I get you something to eat before we start?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

The fox woman looks surprised, her brown eyes going wide. "That... I shouldn't... you're too generous."

The boy at her side tugs on her coat. "But Ana I'm hungry."

"Hush, Kit. I know. I know..." She looks up at Candace. "If you are willing to give us food, we will accept. But then I dance, earn you more money." The fox woman gives a short bow. "I am Anastasia. This is my little brother, Kit."

The fox boy looks up at Candace with wide blue eyes, wondering, curious. "Hello"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

Oh, are you new to the Nexus? I remember that, I got dropped in here at 7 months pregnant with nothing but my dress and a worn gittern. She waves Kitty over. 4 bowls of the house soup please, and some bread. 2 small beers and 2 glasses of milk as well. She looks over at the child. Kulpa, can you sit and behave at the table?

Kulpa looks at the floor. Yes, mother, he mumbles.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

"We are new, yes." Anastasia says, Joining Candace and Kulpa at the table. She doffs her coat, and beneath she wears an old but serviceable dancer's outfit, complete with layers and veils. It would be rather cold without the coat. Kit, too takes off his coat and hangs it on the back of his chair, before climbing up. His clothes were over sized and patched and frayed, but looked warmer than what his sister was wearing. Kit positions himself as far away from Kulpa as possible, not wanting his tail to be pulled again.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

How did you end up here? It looks like you had a lot more money going once. People seem to end up in the Nexus so randomly. I try to collect stories. As the drinks show up, she sips on one of the ales, after distributing the milks to the two children.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

"We walked, from town to town. The lands changed, became strange, then we are here." Anastasia explains. She frowns and takes a gulp of her own small beer before continuing. "The money, it was...not ours. Belonged to someone else. A...patron?" She settles on. There was something dodgy about what the fox woman was saying, but it was hard to say what.

Kit politely sips his milk, trying not to guzzle it all at once.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

I was, well, running. I'm human, but my partner was not, and some people consider fey children to be...valuable. There was a portal, and I went in, and landed in the Nexus.

Kulpa seems to have no such qualms as Kit does, and guzzles down his milk, before proceeding to make faces as Kit with milk still on his chin.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

Anastasia blinks. "Maybe... Maybe you will understand then. I had no patron. I had an owner. My people, we are kept as pets, as things. These coats..." she gestures to the ones they had been wearing. "Fox fur, specially bred. Our family, now keeps us warm in harsh times. I stole them when we escaped."

Kit stays serious as his older sister explains, but one of Kulpa's expressions makes him burst out laughing.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

Candace reaches out to put a hand on Anastasia's arm. That is perhaps less uncommon than you think. I think the Nexus attracts people who need to be elsewhere.

And then for some reason, as the stews arrive, Kulpa decides to turn into a foal, although he's much smaller than a normal foal would be. And has a mouth full of sharp teeth.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

"Ah!" Anastasia exclaims when Kulpa suddenly becomes a tiny horse.

Kit just grins, "Wow!"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ashley also spares a glance to the newcomers, but they seem busy enough, and she was still in a conversation.

"I can ask around. I don't really have a lot of friends, but I'm sure at least one of them would be able to deal with lots of kids. An orphanage, hm? There probably is a need for a place like that around here."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Rein shrugs a little. "Don't worry about it too much. It's waited this long, it can wait a month or two longer. I heard there used to be one in Riverside, but I couldn't find it the last time I went through there. Then again, the information was at least several years old. I'll just have to start fresh."

Reinholdt stands with a stretch. "Well, thank you greatly for the company," he says as he puts down some money on the counter. "An extra drink on me if you want it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oliver walks in and looks around. Upon seeing an empty table, he goes over and sits at it, thinking about what he'll get for a drink and what he'll get for food.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicHobbit View Post
    Oliver walks in and looks around. Upon seeing an empty table, he goes over and sits at it, thinking about what he'll get for a drink and what he'll get for food.
    Naku, currently free of her conversations, and just kind of sitting around bored, sees the newcomer, and waves at him. If he would like, she'd stand up and head over to talk to him. If he'd like.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oliver notices the wave and waves back. He then makes a gesture that roughly means "If you want, come sit by me!"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    "My, only two? But there are so many methods of combat! Surely you wouldn't learn the ways of white magic from a paladin, would you?" Cherie thinks on what she just said, and shakes her head. "Never mind, never mind, different worlds and such. But do tell, what prompted your travels? A lust for adventure?"
    "As I am now, I would be unable to wield white magic," Devero smiles, "but once I obtained a white phoenix that all became possible. Needless to say, I don't use that transformation often. As useful as it may be, its defence and offence isn't as powerful as the dragons'. Its abilities instead focus on supporting my allies by enhancing them with magic, or healing them when they are injured."

"I was different back then. It was less a lust for adventure, and more of a means to an end of my previous way of life. Not many know, but my people are an ancient and pure breed of what many people refer to as shapeshifters or doppelgangers. The modern shapeshifter, or doppelganger may be able to transform like us, but they do not obtain the abilities of the creature that they transform into which you could say is the largest difference between us and them. Unfortunately, because I come from an ancient civilisation, I found their rules and way of life to be very constricting. I was not allowed to leave, but I ran. I didn't know if I would survive, and honestly wasn't prepared, but I had to leave even if it cost me my life," his voice drifts as his eyes glaze over before returning to Cherie.

"Have you ever felt like an outsider among your own people?" Devero asks, "that was how I felt the entire time growing up. My trainers were kinder, but I could tell that even they were wary of me. The rest of my people, on the other hand, were not as welcoming. From what I knew, everyone could only transform into one creature except the members of the high council that led our kingdom. That was something I always admired about them so I left one night in search of the white phoenix that nearly killed me, but once I obtained it and returned my people were outraged. I knew that if I stayed the high council would have punished me by permanently confining me so I escaped not long after. I didn't know how hard it would be to survive out here in the open world, and it took a long time, but I eventually managed to find my way."

"After I learnt how to survive I needed to give myself something to strive towards, and that goal was to make myself stronger by obtaining up to five creatures that I could transform into. I decided this while I was in a foreign kingdom, but not long after I...was beaten half-to-death and kidnapped under the order of the foreign ruler," his voice abruptly goes silent in a dark manner after his long speech, "it took me...a long time to escape, and the experience...changed me...in ways I cannot describe, but I managed to do so with new allies...which is why I still haven't been able to obtain a third creature. After our escape we went our separate ways, and I used the time to recover which is what eventually led me to the forest where I found the rest of you."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    [Off in a Corner]

"Ah!" Anastasia exclaims when Kulpa suddenly becomes a tiny horse.

Kit just grins, "Wow!"
    Candace smiles. As I was saying, he's a kelpie. Kulpa, proving that toddlers are the same no matter the shape, plunges his muzzle into the soup bowl. Was dancing the only thing you learned to do?

22. - Top - End - #82

Oliver notices the wave and waves back. He then makes a gesture that roughly means "If you want, come sit by me!"
    Since the people she's with seem engrossed in their conversation, Naku stands, and makes her way over to Oliver's table.
    Naku is, by human standards, fairly tall, clocking in at just over six feet in height. Her dark purple hair is currently loose, but gathered in the back, and falls to about her mid-back, and her facial features tell a story of some sort of asian ancestry, not too far back her family line. She's currently wearing a fairly lightweight, pale purple sun dress, and has a matching, lacy parasol closed and gripped about the middle in her left hand. Seeming at odd with the rest of the outfit though, is the katana she has belted on. Even just the handle show signs of heavy use, but a lot of care being tended the blade.
    Though a few features definitely stick out, as she gets closer. Those being the bright red nature of her irises, and the very, very vampiric nature of her fangs.

"May I?" She asks when she arrives at the table, indicating the chair. Oliver had already invited her over to sit, but this felt more polite.
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

"Dancing, some music, caring for our young, games and jokes, for entertainment." Anastasia says, before picking up her spoon and taking a bite of stew.

Kit grips his own spoon a bit awkwardly, but manages not to get soup everywhere. He seems pleased to find real chunks of meat in the bowl as he scarfs it down.

"Not too quickly, Kit. You'll get a tummy ache." Ana warns him.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Off in a Corner

There's a couple of taverns in the Nexus. This one's the quietest, normally. Trog's tends to have strange things happen a lot, but is generally safe. Black Dragon can be rough, so I'd advise to stay out. There's also a new place called Bloodsong's Oasis that I've heard is good. She turns to Kit briefly. Did you get any job training? Candace has a certain peasant simplicity to her - of course small children were trained in whatever skills they could manage.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

[Off in a Corner]

Kit thinks for a moment and stares down at his bowl, looking ashamed. "Not a real job, no. I...I take things when people aren't watching."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Oliver brightly says, "Of course!"
    Oliver is only 5'3", rather average for his heritage. His jet black hair is combed neatly and his skin color suggest Scandinavian ancestry. His grey eyes are observing, but have a playful light dancing behind them. In fact, he would be handsome, were it not for his, as he puts it, "fluffiness". He is currently wearing a green button-up t-shirt and jeans that are slightly ripped around the pockets. He seems relieved that he has someone to talk to, rather than having to sit alone awkwardly.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2018-01-13 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Grammar is even harder than spelling.

27. - Top - End - #87

Oliver brightly says, "Of course!"
    Oliver is only 5'3", rather average for his heritage. His jet black hair is combed neatly and his skin color suggest Scandinavian ancestry. His grey eyes are observing, but have a playful light dancing behind them. In fact, he would be handsome, were it not for his, as he puts it, "fluffiness". He is currently wearing a green button-up t-shirt and jeans that are slightly ripped around the pockets. He seems relieved that he has someone to talk to, rather than having to sit alone awkwardly.
    "So," Naku says as she takes a seat. "I"m Naku. Welcome! What brings you around here?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "So," Naku says as she takes a seat. "I"m Naku. Welcome! What brings you around here?"
    "I'm Oliver Slyfield," He says as he holds out a hand for her to shake. "As for what brings me here,
    I decided to treat myself to drinks and food. It's been a hard week, job-wise."

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Rein shrugs a little. "Don't worry about it too much. It's waited this long, it can wait a month or two longer. I heard there used to be one in Riverside, but I couldn't find it the last time I went through there. Then again, the information was at least several years old. I'll just have to start fresh."

Reinholdt stands with a stretch. "Well, thank you greatly for the company," he says as he puts down some money on the counter. "An extra drink on me if you want it."
    "All the same, I'll come and let you know if I find anyone that would be interested." Ashley glances at the money and grins at Rein. "Thanks. It was good to meet you, Reinholdt. Let's drown our sorrows again sometime."

Quote Originally Posted by Lazorath View Post
    "As I am now, I would be unable to wield white magic," Devero smiles, "but once I obtained a white phoenix that all became possible. Needless to say, I don't use that transformation often. As useful as it may be, its defence and offence isn't as powerful as the dragons'. Its abilities instead focus on supporting my allies by enhancing them with magic, or healing them when they are injured."

"I was different back then. It was less a lust for adventure, and more of a means to an end of my previous way of life. Not many know, but my people are an ancient and pure breed of what many people refer to as shapeshifters or doppelgangers. The modern shapeshifter, or doppelganger may be able to transform like us, but they do not obtain the abilities of the creature that they transform into which you could say is the largest difference between us and them. Unfortunately, because I come from an ancient civilisation, I found their rules and way of life to be very constricting. I was not allowed to leave, but I ran. I didn't know if I would survive, and honestly wasn't prepared, but I had to leave even if it cost me my life," his voice drifts as his eyes glaze over before returning to Cherie.

"Have you ever felt like an outsider among your own people?" Devero asks, "that was how I felt the entire time growing up. My trainers were kinder, but I could tell that even they were wary of me. The rest of my people, on the other hand, were not as welcoming. From what I knew, everyone could only transform into one creature except the members of the high council that led our kingdom. That was something I always admired about them so I left one night in search of the white phoenix that nearly killed me, but once I obtained it and returned my people were outraged. I knew that if I stayed the high council would have punished me by permanently confining me so I escaped not long after. I didn't know how hard it would be to survive out here in the open world, and it took a long time, but I eventually managed to find my way."

"After I learnt how to survive I needed to give myself something to strive towards, and that goal was to make myself stronger by obtaining up to five creatures that I could transform into. I decided this while I was in a foreign kingdom, but not long after I...was beaten half-to-death and kidnapped under the order of the foreign ruler," his voice abruptly goes silent in a dark manner after his long speech, "it took me...a long time to escape, and the experience...changed me...in ways I cannot describe, but I managed to do so with new allies...which is why I still haven't been able to obtain a third creature. After our escape we went our separate ways, and I used the time to recover which is what eventually led me to the forest where I found the rest of you."
    Cherie listens to Devero's story, and takes a few moments to think about it. "I'm afraid I have nothing to say. Although I have met with heretics and outsiders in my adventures, I've not met any quite like you." She sips at her wine once more. "I have always been welcome amongst my fellow Lominsans - though we are a city of pirates and adventurers, so it should hardly seem a surprise. I have a hard time imagine my home not welcoming those who are different or foreign."

30. - Top - End - #90

"I'm Oliver Slyfield," He says as he holds out a hand for her to shake. "As for what brings me here,
    I decided to treat myself to drinks and food. It's been a hard week, job-wise."
    Naku does shake the offered hand. It was a custom she never knew of until she got here, but she's since decided she kind of likes it. Her grip is fairly gentle, and her fingers are, while not entirely cold, are definitely cooler than regular human body temperature.
    "A bit of a treat after a job well done is always in order, I feel. What sort of work do you do?"
    Show