New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Confusion About First Two Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Thaumic View Post
    Similarly, to respond to a previous inquiry, I see no reason why similar magic couldn't have built the monster caves around Kraagor's Gate (after Soon would have seen it last, which explains why Shojo's speech depicted it as above ground).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well Serini is not a caster so she would have to employ somebody else to do it. I don't know how many wizards or such she knows enough to trust them with secrets than can destroy the world but my money is on : not many.
    Serini definitely had to hire a powerful spellcaster (or several) to get it done, considering that the Tomb is built up out of multidimensional stone that can apparently stymie an epic-level sorcerer lich.

I would also venture to guess that there had to be one or more spellcasters employed in safely transporting the creatures with which she stocked the place.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2017-11-27 at 11:13 PM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. View Post
    When it comes to arranging the defenses around the Gates, did the Order of the Scribble know that the Gates could be moved like Redcloak hopes to do via a mix of Arcane and Divine magic?
    In that case, it'd make sense that Dorukan and Lirian would reposition their gates as they saw fit since they were the two who got along well enough to continue working together. However, Soon, Girard, and Serini, not being capable of moving their Gates themselves, would have had to leave the Gates as they were.
    Yeah, where else would that ritual have come from? Someone had to figure it out.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

My money's on The Dark One figuring out the ritual. No one else seems to have any clue it can be done (or why Red Cloak and Xykon are interested in them - although O'Chul might have a bit of an idea), and Soon's castle was built around the Azure City rift, implying the Order of the Scribble did not know how to move them.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    My money's on The Dark One figuring out the ritual.
    That isn't going to take very long, since he created the ritual in the first place? It was then passed on to Redcloak via the knowledge he gained from the Crimson Mantle.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Wouldn't the ritual have been created at the time the gates themselves were created? The magic that seals each rift can obviously control the rift to the extent that it keeps it closed. Sort of like Telekenesis can hold a door closed, but it can also open it or rip it off its hinges and fling it across the room. Once there is physical control, direction becomes a choice.

The rifts were each sealed by the combined effort of the OotSc, but the defenses, (Dungeon, Castle, Tomb,) were created afterwards; therefore, the defenses were all built around existing gates. All of the gates were seen by all of the OotSc, because they were required to keep the Snarl busy while the gates themselves were being fabricated.

Since the OotSc had multiple divine and arcane casters, it may be that each gate was constructed by a different pair of casters, giving each a unique appearance, but the underlying magic of each was the same ritual that Redcloak intends to use.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    My money's on The Dark One figuring out the ritual.
    That isn't going to take very long, since he created the ritual in the first place? It was then passed on to Redcloak via the knowledge he gained from the Crimson Mantle.
    Let me rephrase. My money is on the Dark One being the only one who figured out the ritual, and he did it after observing the gates the Scribblers created. I don't think any mortal figured out the ritual, and certainly none of the Scribblers.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I haven’t read start of darkness, but I know that the forest as well as duroken’s dungeon where all away from story locations, as appossed to azure city, run by the ArchVillans of the story, and Windy canyon had two über baddies when the rift was shown. Also, Durokins Is under a (literal) mountain of rubble

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

My money's on The Dark One figuring out the ritual. No one else seems to have any clue it can be done (or why Red Cloak and Xykon are interested in them - although O'Chul might have a bit of an idea), and Soon's castle was built around the Azure City rift, implying the Order of the Scribble did not know how to move them.
    That last can be explained.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    So, no, the Gate or the rift could not have been physically moved.
    The use of Redcloak's magic ritual to shift the Gate into another plane is entirely unrelated, and in fact can only shift a Gate to another plane—not to another place in THIS plane. Think of it like moving a Bag of Holding from the Prime to an Outer Plane: you've moved the entranceway to an extradimensional space, but opening it still leads to the same interior.

That said, I'm (still) entertaining the possibility that the Gate ritual won't (or wouldn't) work as expected, and will instead dump the Snarl out immediately. Either incidentally (because there's only the targeted Gate left to hold the Snarl back now) or intentionally (because the Dark One could see a chance for revenge against the gods as a feature, even if it puts himself at risk).
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2017-12-05 at 02:45 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas