New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Shower Design question (for the ladies, or anyone who shaves their legs)

Hi! My wife and I are redesigning our upstairs, which includes putting in a bathroom.

I'd like to get your opinion on shower design - we'd like to have a ledge put in to sit or put your leg up upon to facilitate the shaving of one's legs and such.

If you could design it, would you put such a ledge (probably about a 20" high and extending out about 12-14") under the shower head, or would you put in in the back? Green markup is the front, blue markup is the back.

Normally, I'd ask my wife, but she's on a camping trip with her college roommates for the next couple days, and has the phone off.

Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Shower Design question (for the ladies, or anyone who shaves their legs)

I would find it easier to shave my leg if the ledge is under the shower head.
    In fact, I miss having such type of ledge to rest my leg upon while I shave it...

So, put it under the shower head. It'll be more productive and confortable for the one who has to shave.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Shower Design question (for the ladies, or anyone who shaves their legs)

I never use the shower for shaving, because by the time I'm done washing my hair I've used up most of the hot water! *chuckles* the downside to long hair. If I were tho... it would depend... what kind of shower nozzle do you have? Is it a gentle rain, a "massage with water", or the adjustable kind? If it's the hard massage kind, I'd say put the ledge at the back, otherwise her head is gonna get pulped, but her back will get a nice massage with the shelf at the back. We have the massage with water kind. *grin* I lurves it.
    Proud supporter of the IMP (Insignificant Monsters and Pests) and OGRE (the Organization of Giants, Reprobates, and Elementals) Unions!

The Giver of Gooshy Foods

av drawn by Jennie Breeden... maker of the webcomic Devil's Panties

4. - Top - End - #4

How's your water pressure?

If it's not all that great (and even if it is okay, but you're designing the shower for women) completely skip the non-handheld showerhead. And if you do that, put the ledge in the front.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the replies!

Both my wife and I are pretty tall (she's 5'-9"). We've got strong water pressure and the ability to situate the shower head at any height we want, since we're putting this one in from scratch. The only limitation is space, as shown in the picture. We'll be putting in one of those hand-held shower head jobbies, as they are nigh-essential.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The other thing you may want to think about is sitting in the shower, on the ledge. If you are very tired, sleepy, older or sharing, the bench spot may matter.

As is, I'd strongly suggest the one at the back. Keeps the water off the legs while shaving, and it's not hitting you in the face and running down to wash off the shave cream.
    Character Stats

Phoenixineohp avatar by Trog!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The showerhead will be removeable anyway won't it?

you have no idea how much it annoys me not to be able to detatch the showerhead...

(I don't actually shave my legs, but I thought that I'd stick my ugly head in anyway)
    Last edited by Last_resort_33; 2007-08-20 at 02:07 AM.

The following rules are integral to any roleplaying game:
    Rule 0: The Gamesmaster is always right.
    Rule 7: Do not take the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Belkar is 4chan.
    CE sociopath with a surprising number of fans; loves cats. Sometimes amusing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would put it in the front to be able to sit and have water on my neck and shoulders. Also I would not have a fixed ledge. I would do something with hinges or so so that it became a fold down ledge. You never know when you want all the space under the shower for just standing there.

Although, I'm definetly not a carpenter so I'm just giving you my idea of stuff.
    Ouche blue beblue schebuuu

9. - Top - End - #9

I'd prefer the back personally, for the reasons pxp listed.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks very much, everyone! I wouldn't have thought of a lot of that. Off to the contractor! *whooosh*