New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Has Been Announced

The system is really dated, but I found rearranging some keys really helped.

The default movement is semi-WASD... W is forward, S is back, but A&D are "turn my character so they have a new straight." I kept all that, and added Z and C to rotate the camera. I do a lot of moving with mouse clicks, since that will reorient me as I need.

Once I get that handled, it works pretty well. The touch of Tumble and UMD I picked up with my one level of bard (my first level, because the Rod of Frost is such an awesome item) REALLY help, since I can use lots of items I wouldn't otherwise be able to touch.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah the movement in NWN is really jarring especially after how standardized wasd movement has become these days. The casting wheel is also something I find really annoying as well. TBH I think the spell UI in NWN 1 is a step back from the UI of Baldurs Gate, its a little more flashy but its much much more annoying to navigate. NWN 2 though did it better than both with the quick cast menu especially when it comes to using metamagic with a Sorcerer or Bard.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    The system is really dated, but I found rearranging some keys really helped.

The default movement is semi-WASD... W is forward, S is back, but A&D are "turn my character so they have a new straight." I kept all that, and added Z and C to rotate the camera. I do a lot of moving with mouse clicks, since that will reorient me as I need.
    I would sometimes play on a persistent world which offered mining. Ore is very heavy and encumbrance would progressively slow your walking animation, but it had no effect on your sidestep animation. If you ever find yourself heavily encumbered, Q and E will get you moving faster than walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Once I get that handled, it works pretty well. The touch of Tumble and UMD I picked up with my one level of bard (my first level, because the Rod of Frost is such an awesome item) REALLY help, since I can use lots of items I wouldn't otherwise be able to touch.
    That rod of frost is quite possibly the best magic item.

Conversely, it is criminal what the OC gives rogues in the prologue.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Yeah the movement in NWN is really jarring especially after how standardized wasd movement has become these days. The casting wheel is also something I find really annoying as well. TBH I think the spell UI in NWN 1 is a step back from the UI of Baldurs Gate, its a little more flashy but its much much more annoying to navigate. NWN 2 though did it better than both with the quick cast menu especially when it comes to using metamagic with a Sorcerer or Bard.
    My 1st step after creating a new character in NWN1 is to remove absolutely everything from the quickbar and set up new keyboard shortcuts so I almost never need to use the radial menu. In that respect, it is little different from Baldur's Gate.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2018-01-24 at 11:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    Conversely, it is criminal what the OC gives rogues in the prologue.
    "Oh. Boy. Three traps. That will disappear once I use them. My heart. How can I survive when it is so big?"

Really, all of the gifts are crap except the rod. Chainmail? +1 to a save that's already good for you?

Ideally, I'd have fighter types get a +1 weapon, rogues get an item that does an at-will Daze or Flare, and cleric-types get an item that does at-will Virtue. While some are clearly better than others (I still like the Frost Wand), everything is valuable.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.