1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Question How violent can a play by post game get?

So I am going to start up a PbP game soon with elements of war and dark (slightly lovecraftian) fantasy, so as befit of their nature, it is going to be pretty violent. I am well aware that PbP games have to follow the forum rules and thus cannot have inappropriate content, but all the forum rules say about violence is that there can be no “graphic violence”. This is an extremely vague statement and I do not fully grasp what this means. Considering that this a D&D forum, some violence is of course allowed, but how far am I allowed to go? Several times where I think I may be infringing upon this are below...

1) The character’s are going to stumble across several mutilated corpses which were attacksd by a Kraken-like creature. How detailed can the description of these corpses be?
    2) I was planning on having a wizard potentially kill someone by snapping a bone in their hands which results in their opponent’s spine snapping in half. Is this too much?
    3) a creature that spits acid is going to be included later in the game, and it is not going to be pretty to see someone who is being slowly eaten away at by caustic chemicals. How thoroughly can I describe the effects of this acid attack?
    4) Whenever the player’s kill a humanoid creature I am going to try to cement the emotional effect by having the dying person openly show signs of pain or grief before they die. How provocative can these dying people’s final actions be?
    5) A somewhat Batlike humanoid creature is going to launch aerial assaults and This is probably going to lead to some peirced skulls and dismembered eyeballs. Should I not go into too much detail about how the strikes or can I elaborate on the havoc caused by these flying creatures?

Thank you for anyone who decides to answer me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How violent can a play by post game get?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    [W]hat is too explicit or too graphic is not something that can be explained in the abstract and applied satisfactorily to all instances. Posters are advised to err on the side of caution, learn from any Warnings they receive or post scrubbings they see, and ask a moderator for the relevant section (via PM) if they have specific concerns. The standard here has often been described as roughly equivalent to the U.S. PG-13 rating, which is helpful if not definitive. (That standard has changed over the years and is based on a motion picture setting, where images and words can be far more fleeting than in a written medium.)
    Beyond that, I could swear there was another thread on pretty much the exact topic (a question about the level of explicit violence allowed in a horror/lovecraftian PbP) but I cannot for the life of me find it right now, so it might have been just a deja-vu.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-11-24 at 12:21 AM.
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

If I am being honest, lovecraftian horror is not actually that violent, it was mainly the war part that is causing the possible infractions. So it is okay so long as it would be okay to include in a pg-13 movie? That is reasonable and definitely gives me some leeway. If understand that all properly than that means...

1) The descriptions of the corpses can be very detailed, just do not elaborate too much on the amount of entrails. Organs should stay in their normal place but aside from that it should be fine.
    2) No spine snapping. Neck snapping or limb snapping though is acceptable, so long as you do not go into too much detail.
    3) The acid-spitting creature can lay some major havoc, just don’t do not go into intense detail about the liquification of organs.
    4) The player’s can be utterly shocked at the sight of those that they have killed, almost no restrictions apply to this.
    5) no dismemembered eyeballs, but aside from that these attacks can be fairly detailed so long as no gray matter is involved.

It appears like the general idea is that I can make it as bloody and gruesome as possible, but avoid talking too much about destroyed internal organs and Entrails.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    So I am going to start up a PbP game soon with elements of war and dark (slightly lovecraftian) fantasy, so as befit of their nature, it is going to be pretty violent. I am well aware that PbP games have to follow the forum rules and thus cannot have inappropriate content, but all the forum rules say about violence is that there can be no “graphic violence”. This is an extremely vague statement and I do not fully grasp what this means. Considering that this a D&D forum, some violence is of course allowed, but how far am I allowed to go? Several times where I think I may be infringing upon this are below...

1) The character’s are going to stumble across several mutilated corpses which were attacksd by a Kraken-like creature. How detailed can the description of these corpses be?
    2) I was planning on having a wizard potentially kill someone by snapping a bone in their hands which results in their opponent’s spine snapping in half. Is this too much?
    3) a creature that spits acid is going to be included later in the game, and it is not going to be pretty to see someone who is being slowly eaten away at by caustic chemicals. How thoroughly can I describe the effects of this acid attack?
    4) Whenever the player’s kill a humanoid creature I am going to try to cement the emotional effect by having the dying person openly show signs of pain or grief before they die. How provocative can these dying people’s final actions be?
    5) A somewhat Batlike humanoid creature is going to launch aerial assaults and This is probably going to lead to some peirced skulls and dismembered eyeballs. Should I not go into too much detail about how the strikes or can I elaborate on the havoc caused by these flying creatures?

Thank you for anyone who decides to answer me!
    Sheriff: The standard is purposefully broad. It is intended to encourage posters to err on the side of caution. Here are four suggestions for finding the right level of detail regarding violence: 1) consider PG-13 levels of detail as an upper limit; 2) don't fetishize/dwell on/focus on the violence or gore; 3) don't exceed the agreed upon level of description of violence/gore among the players; and 4) and when in doubt, tone it down or don't post.

I don't think any particular thing you've mentioned violates the Forum Rules per se, but don't go overboard with gruesome details.
    Forum Rules

Roland as Jayne Cobb by Mysticaloctopus