New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Psionic Dorjes Infinity Gauntlet

Hello fellow gamers ,

My Dm is allowing a psionic dorjes power gauntlet i am not used to psionics but i am looking to place a total of eight stones into the gauntlet since my character is lvl 18, besides psychoportation and pyrokentics what other powers should be on the dorjes ?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Dorjes Infinity Gauntlet

Are you looking for djores (wands), power stones (scrolls), or psicrowns (staffs) here? What's the overall goal-- eight powers that are useful in wand-form, eight powers that simulate the Infinity Gauntlet, or something else?
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-11-24 at 08:29 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A Dorje is basically a psionic version of a wand, it has a limited number of charges and when it runs out it's basically useless. Unlike wands, a Dorje can hold a power of any level 1st-9th, and while the power contained can be augmented, "The manifester level of a dorje cannot be more than five higher than the minimum manifester level to use the power it contains." That means nothing in a Dorje can ever be augmented by more than five power points. They're priced as wands, power level x manifester level x 750 gp, with extra costs if there's an XP cost on a power.

The Rules Compendium says spell trigger and spell completion items (wands, staffs, and scrolls, as well as Dorjes which are Power Trigger) take the same action to use as the casting time of the spell contained. So if a power has a swift action or immediate action manifesting time, a Dorje of the same power takes the same action to activate as long as you've already got it at the ready.

Temporal Acceleration augmented by four power points (67,500 gp) is a swift action to use, gives you two entire rounds of actions, then when those two rounds are up you've still got the normal standard and move action or full round action of your current turn. It's basically a 2-round Time Stop that doesn't sacrifice your normal actions on your current turn.

Psionic True Seeing doesn't take a costly material component, if you don't already have that necessary item effect from somewhere else.

Time Hop is one of the most useful powers, it can disarm an opponent or remove their armor or another item they have for several rounds. I'd get the Dorje at +4 manifester level, you can decide how to augment it each time you use it. The DC will be low, but it automatically succeeds on unattended objects like a door or a section of a bridge, or willing targets like someone who's about to be assassinated.

Dispel Psionics has 1d20 + your manifester level, maximum +10 on the dispel check like Dispel Magic. However, the augmentation says every additional power point increases the bonus on your dispel check by 2 (not the maximum bonus, the actual bonus), so at a manifester level of 10th it allows you to dispel at 1d20+20. That Dorje is 22,500 gp.

Hustle is worth considering for added mobility when you don't want to use Temporal Acceleration.

Body Purification or Psionic Restoration could be useful for being self sufficient, but generally there's a spellcaster in the party who can do this for you.

Blackstone Hammer in Complete Psionic would be really cool if you use it on the gauntlet itself and turn someone to stone by punching them, but the DC 19 Fort save is probably way too low to make that viable.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    A Dorje is basically a psionic version of a wand, it has a limited number of charges and when it runs out it's basically useless. Unlike wands, a Dorje can hold a power of any level 1st-9th, and while the power contained can be augmented, "The manifester level of a dorje cannot be more than five higher than the minimum manifester level to use the power it contains." That means nothing in a Dorje can ever be augmented by more than five power points. They're priced as wands, power level x manifester level x 750 gp, with extra costs if there's an XP cost on a power.

The Rules Compendium says spell trigger and spell completion items (wands, staffs, and scrolls, as well as Dorjes which are Power Trigger) take the same action to use as the casting time of the spell contained. So if a power has a swift action or immediate action manifesting time, a Dorje of the same power takes the same action to activate as long as you've already got it at the ready.

Temporal Acceleration augmented by four power points (67,500 gp) is a swift action to use, gives you two entire rounds of actions, then when those two rounds are up you've still got the normal standard and move action or full round action of your current turn. It's basically a 2-round Time Stop that doesn't sacrifice your normal actions on your current turn.

Psionic True Seeing doesn't take a costly material component, if you don't already have that necessary item effect from somewhere else.

Time Hop is one of the most useful powers, it can disarm an opponent or remove their armor or another item they have for several rounds. I'd get the Dorje at +4 manifester level, you can decide how to augment it each time you use it. The DC will be low, but it automatically succeeds on unattended objects like a door or a section of a bridge, or willing targets like someone who's about to be assassinated.

Dispel Psionics has 1d20 + your manifester level, maximum +10 on the dispel check like Dispel Magic. However, the augmentation says every additional power point increases the bonus on your dispel check by 2 (not the maximum bonus, the actual bonus), so at a manifester level of 10th it allows you to dispel at 1d20+20. That Dorje is 22,500 gp.

Hustle is worth considering for added mobility when you don't want to use Temporal Acceleration.

Body Purification or Psionic Restoration could be useful for being self sufficient, but generally there's a spellcaster in the party who can do this for you.

Blackstone Hammer in Complete Psionic would be really cool if you use it on the gauntlet itself and turn someone to stone by punching them, but the DC 19 Fort save is probably way too low to make that viable.
    A few of these seem like a good fit and basically this gauntlet is the psionic version of the infinity gauntlet my Dm said that unlike normal dorjes stones these ones recharge after a day once the points are used from each stone, this is basically an epic level item in the hands of an 18th level character lol

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arzul View Post
    A few of these seem like a good fit and basically this gauntlet is the psionic version of the infinity gauntlet my Dm said that unlike normal dorjes stones these ones recharge after a day once the points are used from each stone, this is basically an epic level item in the hands of an 18th level character lol
    There's a confusion of terms here. Dorjes are long rods of crystal and are functionally wands. Cognizance Crystals are basically Pearls of Power, but contain so much PP instead of spell slots (you can only tap 1 source of PP when manifesting a given power). Power Stones are small chunks of crystal that are functionally scrolls. Which is it you get here? Basically 1/day manifestations of several powers, or up to 50/day manifestations of several powers.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arzul View Post
    How often are each of these actually going to be usable? Do they fall under the same augmentation limits of Dorjes, or can you get them at a manifester level of 20th and have them all augmented as though 20 power points were spent on them?

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    How often are each of these actually going to be usable? Do they fall under the same augmentation limits of Dorjes, or can you get them at a manifester level of 20th and have them all augmented as though 20 power points were spent on them?
    i still have to discuss this with my DM but he said dorjes so i'm not sure which psionic item to use in this gauntlet but i know i can use so many power points from each stone and that they recharge the next day at dawn is what my DM was thinking