Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Crown of Perfection
    This gleaming crown is forged from platinum and adorned with brilliant diamonds. It grants its bearer a +6 enhancement bonus to each of her ability scores.

    Strong transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, bear's endurance, bull's strength, cat's grace, eagle's splendour, fox's cunning, owl's wisdom; Price 135,000 gp; Weight - lb.

    Rings of Power [Minor Artifacts]
    These rings were forged in ages past, and are imbued with the quintessential aspects of the major humanoid civilisations. Additionally, their bearers do not age.

    Dwarven
    These heavy signet rings were forged from pure adamantine, cold iron, or mithral. They grant their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution and Wisdom scores and a +30 competence bonus on all Craft checks (and allow the use of any Craft skill untrained). Furthermore, they allow their bearers to ignore all prerequisites (other than gp and xp costs) when crafting magic items.

    Elven
    These fine rings of interwoven platinum and white gold are set with amber and glittering emeralds. They grant a +6 enhancement bonus to their wearers' Dexterity and Charisma scores as well as the wild empathy special quality (or a +4 untyped bonus to wild empathy checks if the wearer already possess that ability) and spell resistance 30.

    Human
    These simple golden rings grant a +6 enhancement bonus to the Charisma and Intelligence scores of those that wear them. They allow the use of any skill untrained, and allow their bearers to cast miracle once per week.

    Orc
    These crude iron rings are rough-hewn and rusted (or bloodstained...). They grants their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution, Strength and Charisma scores and the ability to rage three times per day as a 20th-level barbarian.

    Strong (all schools); CL 20th; Weight -.

    Sacred Symbol
    This holy symbol is forged from pure silver or gold and can be used for any usual function (divine spellcasting, repelling vampires, etc.) but also provides its bearer with a constant protection from evil effect. While worn by a good-aligned divine spellcaster, this improves to a magic circle against evil effect.

    The item is nonfunctional while in the possession of an evil- or neutral-aligned creature.

    Moderate abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic circle against evil, creator must be good; Price 45,000 gp; Weight - lb.
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-11-25 at 03:02 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    khadgar567's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    turkey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Rings of Power [Minor Artifacts]
    These rings were forged in ages past, and are imbued with the quintessential aspects of the major humanoid civilisations. Additionally, their bearers do not age.

    Dwarven
    These heavy signet rings were forged from pure adamantine, cold iron, or mithral. They grant their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution and Wisdom scores and a +30 competence bonus on all Craft checks (and allow the use of any Craft skill untrained).

    Elven
    These fine rings of interwoven platinum and white gold are set with amber and glittering emeralds. They grant a +6 enhancement bonus to their wearers' Dexterity and Charisma scores as well as the wild empathy special quality (or a +4 untyped bonus to wild empathy checks if the wearer already possess that ability) and spell resistance 30.

    Human
    These simple golden rings grant a +6 enhancement bonus to the Charisma and Intelligence scores of those that wear them. They allow the use of any skill untrained, and allow their bearers to cast miracle once per day.

    Orc
    These crude iron rings are rough-hewn and rusted (or bloodstained...). They grants their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution, Strength and Charisma scores and the ability to rage three times per day as a 20th-level barbarian.

    Strong (all schools); CL 20th; Weight -.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them all.
    one dark lord to conqure them all

    so whats the stats for celebrimbor's ghost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.


  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goaty14's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    dwarven seems very underwhelming tbh. While humans can cast miracle, orcs get 20th lvl bonuses, and elves are immune to lower level casting, the dwarven ring can... craft stuff... Not like the human ring could replicate True Creation or anything...

    Oh! I didn't see crown of perfection there! Miniatures Handbook already does that with the Belt of Magnificence.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-11-25 at 01:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to see how well I am at making homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

    "I hope that you don't get the impression that I would munchkin the rules if I was in a D&D world IRL... Even though I totally would" -Myself

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Crown of Perfection
    This gleaming crown is forged from platinum and adorned with brilliant diamonds. It grants its bearer a +6 enhancement bonus to each of her ability scores.

    Strong transmutation; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, bear's endurance, bull's strength, cat's grace, eagle's splendour, fox's cunning, owl's wisdom; Price 135,000 gp; Weight - lb.
    Belt of Magnificence from Miniatures Handbook p42 is this same item and costs 200,000gp.
    How did you arrive at your price?

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Rings of Power [Minor Artifacts]
    These rings were forged in ages past, and are imbued with the quintessential aspects of the major humanoid civilisations. Additionally, their bearers do not age.

    Dwarven
    These heavy signet rings were forged from pure adamantine, cold iron, or mithral. They grant their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution and Wisdom scores and a +30 competence bonus on all Craft checks (and allow the use of any Craft skill untrained).

    Elven
    These fine rings of interwoven platinum and white gold are set with amber and glittering emeralds. They grant a +6 enhancement bonus to their wearers' Dexterity and Charisma scores as well as the wild empathy special quality (or a +4 untyped bonus to wild empathy checks if the wearer already possess that ability) and spell resistance 30.

    Human
    These simple golden rings grant a +6 enhancement bonus to the Charisma and Intelligence scores of those that wear them. They allow the use of any skill untrained, and allow their bearers to cast miracle once per day.

    Orc
    These crude iron rings are rough-hewn and rusted (or bloodstained...). They grants their bearers a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution, Strength and Charisma scores and the ability to rage three times per day as a 20th-level barbarian.

    Strong (all schools); CL 20th; Weight -.
    The dwarf one is pretty underwhelming, especially compared to SR30 and miracle 1/day. Maybe have it also grant Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat while worn and give the bearer a caster level equal to his HD for purposes of crafting. He'd still have to get any spell prerequisites from elsewhere, but it would bring the ring closer in line with the others.

    The human one really needs a nerf. The 1/day miracle is pretty overpowered. When you consider that you're literally giving the bearer to cast any 8th-level or lower cleric spell 1/day in addition to the other uses for miracle. Maybe if you made it 1/month or something. Still, it's really a game breaking ability over and above what the other rings grant.

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Sacred Symbol
    This holy symbol is forged from pure silver or gold and can be used for any usual function (divine spellcasting, repelling vampires, etc.) but also provides its bearer with a constant protection from evil effect. While worn by a good-aligned divine spellcaster, this improves to a magic circle against evil effect.

    The item is nonfunctional while in the possession of an evil- or neutral-aligned creature.

    Moderate abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic circle against evil, creator must be good; Price 30,000 gp; Weight - lb.
    Using the standard pricing guidelines, a continuous protection from evil spell is only about 4,000gp. That's a bit under priced for what it gives according to the guideline articles.
    However, a continuous magic circle against evil come out to 45,000gp.
    Honestly, I think your pricing on this one is fairly close, but I would restrict the Sacred Symbol to the deity whose symbol it is. Have it function at the lower level for anyone with an alignment within one step of the deity's and at the higher level for any divine spellcaster who worships that deity and is within one step of its alignment.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    So I know jack all about how one could go about balancing items, but could the Dwarven Ring allow a reduction of XP and gold cost in Crafting checks, potentially even extending this to allow for one to waive Expensive material components for spell casting up to certain value for spellcasting, and maybe a time reduction of crafting things as well?

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    So I know jack all about how one could go about balancing items, but could the Dwarven Ring allow a reduction of XP and gold cost in Crafting checks, potentially even extending this to allow for one to waive Expensive material components for spell casting up to certain value for spellcasting, and maybe a time reduction of crafting things as well?
    That's pretty OP...

    A time reduction to crafting would be okay, but the rest is pretty strong. There are already ways to reduce the cost of crafting things by around 90%...

    Removing expensive material components from spellcasting doesn't really seem to fit the theme.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2013

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    That's pretty OP...

    A time reduction to crafting would be okay, but the rest is pretty strong. There are already ways to reduce the cost of crafting things by around 90%...

    Removing expensive material components from spellcasting doesn't really seem to fit the theme.
    As stated, I know jack about balance. I was just think what comes to mind with Dwarven Ring of Power. They were more ideas to take and bolster the existing idea. Take what works and leave what doesn't.

    The Ring that Tolkien partially based the Dwarven Rings on grew the owner's wealth over time by producing copies of itself. My thought was instead of using components, the caster can sacrifice the wealth of the ring. That was the connection I was going for. Not saying that's what should be, just that there is a reason behind the idea.
    Last edited by Mith; 2017-11-25 at 03:09 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    As stated, I know jack about balance. I was just think what comes to mind with Dwarven Ring of Power. They were more ideas to take and bolster the existing idea. Take what works and leave what doesn't.

    The Ring that Tolkien partially based the Dwarven Rings on grew the owner's wealth over time by producing copies of itself. My thought was instead of using components, the caster can sacrifice the wealth of the ring. That was the connection I was going for. Not saying that's what should be, just that there is a reason behind the idea.
    Nah, I got the concept and realized what you were going for with your post. It's a neat idea. It's just that I don't think it's a good balance point, and the casting part, I think, doesn't really mesh well conceptually with the crafting focus of the rest of the ring.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    I agree not all the rings are currently created equal; I've upgraded the dwarf ring a bit (so you no longer need feats, caster level, etc. when creating items but still have to pay costs). Note however that using the human ring to duplicate true creation would require an xp cost.

    Human ring is now miracle once per week - humans are meant to be all about luck and versatility so I'd really like to keep miracle as the ability.

    Crown of Perfection was calculated according to the item creation rules (though I admit I waived the rule about effects costing 50% more if not associated with the correct body slot, never made sense to me - especially since that could all be circumvented by simply making the item a ring or other non-wondrous item):

    36,000 gp for 1st bonus, 27,000 gp for 2nd bonus, 18,000 gp for remaining 4 bonuses = 135,000 gp

    I'm not sure about your magic item calculations, Rizban - continuous protection from evil is 2,000 gp, continuous magic circle against evil is 30,000 gp (spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp).

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rizban's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Aldhaven
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Crown of Perfection was calculated according to the item creation rules (though I admit I waived the rule about effects costing 50% more if not associated with the correct body slot, never made sense to me - especially since that could all be circumvented by simply making the item a ring or other non-wondrous item):

    36,000 gp for 1st bonus, 27,000 gp for 2nd bonus, 18,000 gp for remaining 4 bonuses = 135,000 gp
    I personally think that's a little low, especially compared to the printed item. It's your call though.

    Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    I'm not sure about your magic item calculations, Rizban - continuous protection from evil is 2,000 gp, continuous magic circle against evil is 30,000 gp (spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp).
    Protection from evil has a duration of of 1 min/level, so you multiply the cost by 2.
    Magic circle against evil has a duration of 10 min/level, so you multiply the cost by 1.5.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p285
    Use-activated or continuousSpell level caster level 2,000 gp2Lantern of revealing
    Take note of the superscript 2. That refers to the text below the table that reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p285
    2 If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Vancouver <-> Dublin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Crowns of Perfection, Sacred Symbol, Rings of Power (dwarf, elf, human, orc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    I personally think that's a little low, especially compared to the printed item. It's your call though.

    Protection from evil has a duration of of 1 min/level, so you multiply the cost by 2.
    Magic circle against evil has a duration of 10 min/level, so you multiply the cost by 1.5.

    Take note of the superscript 2. That refers to the text below the table that reads:
    Oh good grief you're right! I forgot about the duration thing entirely haha, edited to reflect that.

    I think the crown is fine - even the MADdest classes don't use all 6 ability scores, so everything beyond the first 3-4 ability scores is really just a flavour benefit. I can't see anyone paying 200k for the belt when they could pay 36k a few times and save the rest of the gp for something else.
    Last edited by rferries; 2017-11-25 at 03:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •