New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

I'll change my vote from Biddyn to Peliwyr.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To make there be a clear winner, I'll also switch my vote over to Peliwyr.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

OK so it sounds like we're going to be doing Peliwyr then?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    OK so it sounds like we're going to be doing Peliwyr then?
    Sure, sounds fine.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, the game is created on llamaserver:

Game Name: GITPQuantumTechnochampions

Era: Middle

Independent Strength: 5
    Hall of Fame: 10
    Score Graphs: Off
    Research: Standard
    Random Starting Research: Off
    Global Enchantments: 5
    Special Site Frequency: Default
    Money/Resource/Supplies Multiples: 100
    Random Event Frequency: Rare
    Story Events: None
    Human AI: Impossible
    Renaming: On
    Starting Provinces: 1
    Artifact Forging: 1/turn
    Mods: None

Victory Condition: Thrones
    Ascension Points for Victory: 13 out of 24
    Level 1 Thrones: 6
    Level 2 Thrones: 3
    Level 3 Thrones: 2

If anybody has any objections to the settings we can discuss here and change, otherwise everybody can start sending in their pretenders.

Please respect the earlier choices of people that have picked nations, but when you've sent in your pretender please re-post here with what nation was your final send-in just in case you changed your mind - somebody else may want to change to your vacated nation.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest allowing minor story events for the fun of it?
    I played 3 full games with full story events enabled. And i think the most gamebreaking thing i got from it was a chance to summon 3 kraken with a water mage.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I suggest allowing minor story events for the fun of it?
    I played 3 full games with full story events enabled. And i think the most gamebreaking thing i got from it was a chance to summon 3 kraken with a water mage.
    I'd be up for story events if we were playing a less serious game (maybe a random pretender game?), but if we're voting I'd go against it this time.

I'll try and submit today; will almost definitely stick with Ulm.
    Credit to Dogmantra for the transparent background bracket!

I like typing text walls. Deal with it :P

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Alright why though? What sort of story event is it people are scared off..?
    I have not even seen any who really paid off their oppotunity cost yet.

Anyway, do we have a deadline for selecting nations?
    We got:
    Thrantar as Ashdod
    Lord Khaine as Nazca
    Shadowwalker as Ulm
    Manticoran as C'tis
    Holio as Bandar Log
    Nadevoc as Pangaea
    Hellbug as Man
    Olinser as Marignon
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2018-06-23 at 03:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #909

Confirming I'm still in and haven't vanished, I'll try to decide on a pick by end of today, but probably C'tis.
    Last edited by Manticoran; 2018-06-21 at 12:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910

Lizardfolk

I'm also still around here. I'll be sticking with Bandar Log, but I'm still deciding on my pretender and will submit in the morning (for me).

11. - Top - End - #911
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm still going with Pangaea. I'll get my pretender in tonight. Is it reasonable to ask everyone to get their pretenders in today or tomorrow and then we can start this weekend?

12. - Top - End - #912
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can confirm that I've sent in my pretender for Ulm

Alright why though? What sort of story event is it people are scared off..?
    I have not even seen any who really paid off their oppotunity cost yet.
    I can say that I've never played a story event game longer than a year long. I'll roll with it if there's a majority to include them, but I'd still rather not be hit with something I don't even know how to account for.
    Credit to Dogmantra for the transparent background bracket!

I like typing text walls. Deal with it :P

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still going with Pangaea. I'll get my pretender in tonight. Is it reasonable to ask everyone to get their pretenders in today or tomorrow and then we can start this weekend?
    Well.. i can likely send in my pretender tomorrow. As soon as im happy with the design.

I can say that I've never played a story event game longer than a year long. I'll roll with it if there's a majority to include them, but I'd still rather not be hit with something I don't even know how to account for.
    Well.. i can describe the one story event i encountered that did anything.
    I first got reports of a monster lurking in a area. And a red book hovering over a province.
    Then i could send a army over to investigate for it. They found a monster lair.
    I were then given some choices. One of them involve sending a mage skilled in water magic over.
    That mage was able to catch the eggs found there, and i got a 2-3 krakens out of it.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Well.. i can describe the one story event i encountered that did anything.
    I first got reports of a monster lurking in a area. And a red book hovering over a province.
    Then i could send a army over to investigate for it. They found a monster lair.
    I were then given some choices. One of them involve sending a mage skilled in water magic over.
    That mage was able to catch the eggs found there, and i got a 2-3 krakens out of it.
    I once got a story event about a warlock trying to summon one of the big devil lords. I sent a blood mage to help as the event description suggested and the devil lord was summoned, only to rebel because seemingly bad luck and summon a bunch of extra devils to indie attack the province, leaving a province protected by a bunch of devils and a high level unique summon.

In the other hand if I had managed to control the devil lord it would've been a massive boost early game.

And that's the problem with story events, they can be extremely swingy.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-06-21 at 07:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915

Lizardfolk

I think a game with story events on could be interesting, but I’d rather that we did one where we had that planned from the start.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

I see.. there is of course a bit of a difference between a couple krakens and a named devil lord.
    At least if it had been possible to get him.

It does seem like this is the difference between a minor and a major story event though.
    How about we just enable the minor ones then? I cant see them doing much if anything to swing things around.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I say no--we've already got this game hosting started up and it's my first actual FFA in Dom 5. I've got plenty to worry about already. Additionally, I have submitted my pretender and will be playing Man.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

I've put mine in as well, I'll be playing Marignon

So right now we're missing 2 - Thrantar and Manticoran.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #919

Changing to Phaeacia after some testing.

EDIT: Or maybe still C'tis. I'm pretty undecided, I'll get a pick in by end of weekend.
    Last edited by Manticoran; 2018-06-23 at 03:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    Changing to Phaeacia after some testing.

EDIT: Or maybe still C'tis. I'm pretty undecided, I'll get a pick in by end of weekend.
    Well the game autostarted because it was full so you're stuck now :P

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

OK so I'll leave the first turn long so everybody has a chance to check their starting positions and realize the game has started, then I"ll put it at 24 hours for the first few turns so we can get into the game, probagbly about turn 5-10 we'll dial it back to 48 hours for more time.

If somebody has a restart-required position post a screenshot and we can check, like if you're blocked off and your only expansion is through a throne, or something similar.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh right and I almost forgot - here is a link to a Discord server I just created for this. Anybody that has discord can join - that gives us a much easier way to message people to coordinate, diplomacize and poke people for turns, instead of everybody trying to figure out how to get ahold of everybody else.

https://discord.gg/47UCynx

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

brilliant idea.

24. - Top - End - #924

There's some kind of issue where I seem to have never gotten the 2nd turn file, and a request for resend doesn't appear to have gotten it to me, can I get someone to extend while I try to figure out what's going on?

And yes, I checked in spam.

EDIT: Still not sure what's going on, but I managed to get the files and send in my turn, so *Shrug* It is tomorrow's issue!
    Last edited by Manticoran; 2018-06-25 at 09:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    There's some kind of issue where I seem to have never gotten the 2nd turn file, and a request for resend doesn't appear to have gotten it to me, can I get someone to extend while I try to figure out what's going on?

And yes, I checked in spam.

EDIT: Still not sure what's going on, but I managed to get the files and send in my turn, so *Shrug* It is tomorrow's issue!
    Yeah it still hasn't received it so it's either a server issue or something wrong with the .2h file you're sending in. I'll go ahead and push it back a few more hours so you can troubleshoot tomorrow morning.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #926

So am I correct in my belief that random events that modify a province's scales are temporary?

Let's say I have Heat 3 dominion, and an event gives a province +2 cold. As long as I keep the province in my dominion, it will eventually shift all the way up to Heat 3, right?

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    So am I correct in my belief that random events that modify a province's scales are temporary?

Let's say I have Heat 3 dominion, and an event gives a province +2 cold. As long as I keep the province in my dominion, it will eventually shift all the way up to Heat 3, right?
    Yes. Events are temporary, although some may last for some time (mainly due to spells though).

It has a formula that calculates a % chance each turn for the province to take 1 step towards your scales based on how far it is from the scales.

EDIT: The actual formula is 5% multiplied by the dominion level in the province) plus (10% multiplied by the difference between the actual scale and your nation's scale).

So if you're Heat 3, and the event put it to Cold 2, then you're 5 steps away (cold 1 - neutral - heat 1 - heat 2 - heat 3). So since we're early I'm guessing you have probably about Dom 2 in the province.

So that would give you a 60% chance to take 1 step towards heat next turn, and then a 50% next turn if it had changed to Cold 1.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-06-29 at 09:16 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #928

A slight caveat to what Olinser said: if the event in question spawns a site that modifies the local scales, then the scale shift can be more permanent. The only such event I can think of off the top of my head is the 'land is trapped in perpetual winter' event which spawns the Frozen Lands site, but there might be others.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

OK So now that we've got the FFA game well underweigh, is there any interest in starting a new game of several teams of 2, rather than 2 large teams?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Im in for both teams of 2, 3 or 4, in any number.