New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

In case you still need a sub I can do it in a pinch. One of my game just ended.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otomodachi View Post
    I've got to back out, I'm very sorry but something's come up and I really can't promise the time commitment even for a PBEM game.
    Actually that might work out - I talked to Hicks last night and he said that he had misunderstood the game and wasn't interested in a Disciples game - if he wants to confirm that I could just pair with Manti then and we'll just have 1 less team.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Teams by nation draft order:

1st Team C-Hicks+Olinser
    2nd Team E-Vitruviansquid +Sen isSaqqara
    3rd Team A-Thrantar-hellbug
    4th Team B-Ionbound+Knaight
    5th Team F-Otomodachi +Manticoran
    6th Team D-Nadevoc+deuterio12

So Team C (Hicks+Olinser) please pick one nation. You can decide later which of you actually plays that nation. Then we move forward in order and the last team (mine, yay) will pick two nations right away in return for picking last, then we go in reverse order until everybody has picked two nations.
    Alright, works for me...

Beats me fumbling around with this for an embarrassingly long time.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

So now the question is which slot do they take in the draft order - Olinser's or Manti's?

Coin flip to decide?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    So now the question is which slot do they take in the draft order - Olinser's or Manti's?

Coin flip to decide?
    By my highly scientific and totally unbiased outcome, my RNG says we will take Manti's (4th) position in the draft.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-12-28 at 12:01 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #96

Actually, that's probably the better outcome, since it gives you two a bit of time to discuss nations.

So (assuming everyone accepts this totally random outcome) it's Vitruviansquad/Sen isSaggara's turn to pick

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

I can agree with that, Vitruviansquad/Sen isSaggara please pick one nation.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

I think so
    Everyone watch any movies, TV Show and anime with multiple subtitles at http://moviesonline.ac

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey VitruvianSquid, one or zero?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sen isSaqqara View Post
    Hey VitruvianSquid, one or zero?
    He chooses TAILS

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    He chooses TAILS
    I've talked to him in private messages, and we'll take Vanheim for him.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Sweet, Thrantar and I will take Pangaea.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2017-12-28 at 05:42 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Ionbound and I are snagging Marignon.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry to throw another wrench in the plans, but I never actually said I was up to play a Disciples game. I'm happy to walk someone through how to play over voice/with screen sharing/etc, and think doing that for an entire game would be a lot of fun, but I think doing a Disciples game is actually a pretty lousy way to learn unless you're supplementing with what I said above, at which point it'd be better to just stick all of the people learning in a FFA with their mentors going over their turns with them every time.

That also helps solve the differences in skill between mentors, as it means that as they're not actually directly playing, they can only have as much impact as they can communicate skill to their mentee.

This can be important for expectations for what makes something "competitive".

For instance, I view securing 20-30 provinces by the end of year 1 as a basic prereq for being a high tier nation, and I've found there's quite a few nations in the various ages that can still manage this. If people are coming in used to securing 1 territory a month or something, they're just going to come in and face nations that are 2-3 times their size before the multiplayer part of the game even really starts.

I want to emphasize though, that I think Disciple games are actually a lot MORE complex than standard gameplay, and have a very different meta, due to the things you can do with awake disciples and bless chasis that don't fit on original pretenders.
    Last edited by Manticoran; 2017-12-29 at 10:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing is, in a regular FFA mentees would have a pretty hard time properly informing their mentor of their current situation every round, while in a disciple games you automatically share lots of information so it's much easier to go "you should attack X" or "avoid Y".

And yes disciples works in a slightly different mode than pure ffa, but Dominions 5 just overhauled how the whole bless system works so there really isn't any solid meta now. I would also disagree that they're significantly more complex since having trustworthy allies to share borders and trade with saves a lot of work in contrast to the constant paranoia that is pure ffa, needing to look behind your shoulder all the time in case somebody's about to backstab you.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thing is, in a regular FFA mentees would have a pretty hard time properly informing their mentor of their current situation every round, while in a disciple games you automatically share lots of information so it's much easier to go "you should attack X" or "avoid Y".

And yes disciples works in a slightly different mode than pure ffa, but Dominions 5 just overhauled how the whole bless system works so there really isn't any solid meta now. I would also disagree that they're significantly more complex since having trustworthy allies to share borders and trade with saves a lot of work in contrast to the constant paranoia that is pure ffa, needing to look behind your shoulder all the time in case somebody's about to backstab you.
    The complexity of the game is not found I find in knowing what to do, but the right way to do it. Knowing "As MA C'tis, I should seize as much territory as I can early by building nothing but Saurus Warriors and some Poison Slingers, spread dominion, and research almost nothing but Enchantment until I get to Ench5, and then start considering other paths." is not exactly difficult, for instance, but the execution of it, what gods to build, how to script each fight to account for the things you're fighting against, etc, are the more complicated bits, and you really need to share turn files or something like that to really get the right amount of detail.

Perhaps this is a difference in teaching styles or something, but regardless, I'm not up for a Disciples game and never said I was.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

FEAR ME.

My mere presence on a team with them has already removed 2 players from the game. Kneel before me as I continue my rampage!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    The complexity of the game is not found I find in knowing what to do, but the right way to do it. Knowing "As MA C'tis, I should seize as much territory as I can early by building nothing but Saurus Warriors and some Poison Slingers, spread dominion, and research almost nothing but Enchantment until I get to Ench5, and then start considering other paths." is not exactly difficult, for instance, but the execution of it, what gods to build, how to script each fight to account for the things you're fighting against, etc, are the more complicated bits, and you really need to share turn files or something like that to really get the right amount of detail.

Perhaps this is a difference in teaching styles or something, but regardless, I'm not up for a Disciples game and never said I was.
    I dunno about all this. My partner may not be happy to hear it, but I tend to play more for fun than for the competition. I feel like this should be a more friendly game, and that worrying too much about the meta and whatnot are only going to get in the way of everyone having fun. I mean, it's not going to stop me from trying my best to win, but I'm not super worried about it. You win some, you lose some, you know?
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Whats peoples stance on Middle Age Rhylth Void gate summoning?
    Is it something thats actually viable to invest in. Or is it just a fun gimmick to get rid of Starspawns who dont show the propper amount of respect for their god?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Sen isSaqqara View Post
    I dunno about all this. My partner may not be happy to hear it, but I tend to play more for fun than for the competition. I feel like this should be a more friendly game, and that worrying too much about the meta and whatnot are only going to get in the way of everyone having fun. I mean, it's not going to stop me from trying my best to win, but I'm not super worried about it. You win some, you lose some, you know?
    This is pretty much my stance, too. I think with 4X games, there's always going to be a skill gap, and some people will be taking it more seriously than others. And as a novice, I'm ready to under perform as I learn.

So what's the plan if we're at an odd number now?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

This is pretty much my stance, too. I think with 4X games, there's always going to be a skill gap, and some people will be taking it more seriously than others. And as a novice, I'm ready to under perform as I learn.

So what's the plan if we're at an odd number now?
    I mean its kind of up to the rest of you guys. I could be on a team by myself, or since I think we have 9 players now we could do 3 teams of 3.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #112

Shifting you to a solo team would obviously be simplest, with you keeping the current draft position. But that only works if you're cool with being the only team of one. If you'd rather not, that's understandable. Perhaps break up the Hellbug/Thrantar duo and distribute you and them amongst the other three teams? Since they're listed as neither mentor or mentee, seems to me like that would make sense. In that case, we would probably want to redraft.
    Last edited by Nadevoc; 2017-12-30 at 06:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

I could be a mentor. Maybe I should not sign up for a second game but it should be fine!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

When I started this thread, the purpose I had in mind was to create a way to integrate players who are interested in this game into a multiplayer community. I think this purpose would not be achieved by simply having a free for all game with experienced players and inexperienced ones. At the same time, experienced players in this thread can organize their own games, or wait on the sidelines until this game finishes, and such.

Since it looks a few people want to play Dominions, but just aren't willing to play Disciples in Dominions, how about this instead:

Everybody who has never played a multiplayer game of Dominions play a free-for-all game, non-Disciples.

Volunteers who have previously played a multiplayer game of Dominions who want to be mentors can hook up with a player and give them advice throughout the game by way of private messages, while not playing the game.

And this sucks for the experienced people who wanted to play a game - but maybe think of it as an investment. Initiate a group of new players into the community to play with them in the future?
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Shifting you to a solo team would obviously be simplest, with you keeping the current draft position. But that only works if you're cool with being the only team of one. If you'd rather not, that's understandable. Perhaps break up the Hellbug/Thrantar duo and distribute you and them amongst the other three teams? Since they're listed as neither mentor or mentee, seems to me like that would make sense. In that case, we would probably want to redraft.
    Completely up to you guys I'm fine either way.

I would like to point out that this confusion is exactly why we started the draft a week before the start date

If yall decide I'll be on my own I think I'll go with Jotunheim, if I'm on a team I'd need to consult with them first.

By the way - for newer players if you're unaware it may be worth while checking out the manual HERE, it breaks down some of the differences between Dom 4 and Dom 5 and gives a good overview of a lot of the game.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    When I started this thread, the purpose I had in mind was to create a way to integrate players who are interested in this game into a multiplayer community. I think this purpose would not be achieved by simply having a free for all game with experienced players and inexperienced ones. At the same time, experienced players in this thread can organize their own games, or wait on the sidelines until this game finishes, and such.

Since it looks a few people want to play Dominions, but just aren't willing to play Disciples in Dominions, how about this instead:

Everybody who has never played a multiplayer game of Dominions play a free-for-all game, non-Disciples.

Volunteers who have previously played a multiplayer game of Dominions who want to be mentors can hook up with a player and give them advice throughout the game by way of private messages, while not playing the game.

And this sucks for the experienced people who wanted to play a game - but maybe think of it as an investment. Initiate a group of new players into the community to play with them in the future?
    Honestly, as a new player, I'd really prefer going with the team game. It would be great to have a built-in advisor to discuss strategy with, who gets to see much of what you're doing and offer tips, etc. I don't find having an out-of-game mentor to give the same experience, and often actually amplifies the skill gap, since some new people tend to be more or less proxies for their mentors, while others only take a few tips.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I mean its kind of up to the rest of you guys. I could be on a team by myself, or since I think we have 9 players now we could do 3 teams of 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    I could be a mentor. Maybe I should not sign up for a second game but it should be fine!
    Ok, sounds to me like we have another mentor for Olinser then. Nobody else seems to be specifically against a disciple match (and players like Nadevoc actually prefer it) so I say Olisen and Glimbur pick their first nation and we keep the draft going instead of restarting everything.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2017-12-30 at 08:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, sounds to me like we have another mentor for Olinser then. Nobody else seems to be specifically against a disciple match (and players like Nadevoc actually prefer it) so I say Olisen and Glimbur pick their first nation and we keep the draft going instead of restarting everything.
    Legitimately curious how you got 'Olisen' from 'Olinser'. That's... actually pretty impressive for a typo.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #119

Olinser and Glimbur, can you two confer and either confirm you're going with Jotunheim, or else give us your new choice?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Olinser and Glimbur, can you two confer and either confirm you're going with Jotunheim, or else give us your new choice?
    Shot him a message, waiting on a response before we pick for sure.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!