New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    If anybody does not agree with any of the above settings, let them speak now.
    Two questions, but not really objections:

Why no story events? I always found them to be fun.

Why no score graphs?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sen isSaqqara View Post

Why no score graphs?
    Score graphs give you access to effectively scouting information you really shouldn't have about most nations.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Story events can be fun but they can also decide who wins or loses based on random chance. I can see not including them.

Speaking as Caelum I like graphs being off. Makes flying scouts more useful.

Do we want AI players to be Impossible? That will make them a pain; not sure if that is fairer than having an AI be trivial or not.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

One last question: why events at rare? Aren't they normally common by default?
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Same reason - events are huge sources of RNG that can swing games completely outside of player's actions.

Especially since this is supposed to be a sort of training game for a lot of people, it's not very good practice to basically end up at, "Well you were doing great until that event, next time do exactly the same thing but make sure you sacrifice a goat to RNGesus".

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... searching for magic sites. Obviously, magic sites are great. They give gems and other cool things. But it seems like I only find anything like 10% of the time.

Is there a minimum path strength a mage should have before I bother having it search for sites?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    So... searching for magic sites. Obviously, magic sites are great. They give gems and other cool things. But it seems like I only find anything like 10% of the time.

Is there a minimum path strength a mage should have before I bother having it search for sites?
    One. Most magic sites can be found with just one in the relevant path, and what really makes mages better at manual searching is having more paths more than higher paths. It also helps to have an understanding of site distribution, and site distribution can be weird (the best place to search for nature sites is actually the ocean, not forests). A second point of path strength is still worth a fair amount, a third and fourth point provides a pretty marginal advantage. Past that there's no gain with manual searching (there might be something with Strands of Arcane Power, but that's a terrible spell anyways).

8. - Top - End - #158

Ah, interesting. So where should I be looking for the various paths?

At a guess...

Fire: ??
    Air: Highlands
    Water: Sea
    Earth: Caves, Forest
    Nature: Sea, Forest
    Astral: Farmland?
    Death: Swamp, Waste

I'm guessing that the magic sites are generated at the start of the game, so fire sites wouldn't be increased by a Hot scale

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Why no score graphs?

Rare events and no story events to avoid too much random swings since about half the players are newbies.

No graphs since it's basically free scouting and also simplifies the game as it saves carefully analyzing everybody's graphs every turn. Also from my experience most mp games have graphs turned off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Do we want AI players to be Impossible? That will make them a pain; not sure if that is fairer than having an AI be trivial or not.
    Well people were complaining a player going AI is a free lunch for the neighbours so leaving it at the hardest possible difficulty just in case.

Although notice there's no way for a player to coordinate with an AI so even then it will be at a disadvantage.

Ah, interesting. So where should I be looking for the various paths?

At a guess...

Fire: ??
    Air: Highlands
    Water: Sea
    Earth: Caves, Forest
    Nature: Sea, Forest
    Astral: Farmland?
    Death: Swamp, Waste

I'm guessing that the magic sites are generated at the start of the game, so fire sites wouldn't be increased by a Hot scale
    Actually some events can generate magic sites and I believe some are tied to scales. However such sites will show up right away.

Also although yes some types of sites are more common in some types of terrain, you can basically find anything anywhere, so it pays off to look everywhere. Even Holy Magic can find some sites, like the ancient temple.

And then some sites change the local scales even while hidden, so for example if you see a province with unusually high death or heat, probably has a related site on it.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-01 at 06:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

For horror marks, "eventual" can be a pretty damn long time. I've had plenty of games where I spam lightless lanterns by the dozens midgame and barely see a single horror from them until the end.

And with lifelong protection in an elite mage, they may actually be able to take on some lesser horrors.
    It still makes for a slightly hard choice though, when you instead could use the item slot for something safer. And it does at the same time require blood magic.

Just remember that the Elixir of Life will be destroyed when it saves your mage's life.
    I do think thats a minimal price to save someone with 8+ summoning skill. At that level its almost only big useful things that arrive. Like a Visitor. Or a Vastness. Or Greater Otherness.

I'm not saying don't protect them, just cautioning you against investing too much in doing so.

I'll also note that Void summoning, even with a highly-skilled summoner, is unreliable, unlike most ritual magic. It's free apart from the cost of the summoner and whatever protection you give to him, but it's not guaranteed to produce useful results, or even any results, every turn.
    Alright so far it seems like the Ring of Alarm is the best possible investment to keep your Summoner alive in face of angry void Monsters.
    And yes, it seems like its only every 2-3 turns something happens. That is again quite nice all the same.

But a new question. What the heck does i do with a bunch of Astral magic masters? Its kinda hard to find spells they can do much with, either in combat or summoning. So far im mainly using water magic to produce a massive army of Vile water. But i got a rather large bunch of Astral pearls. And a lot of Astral mages, than dont really do anything.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But a new question. What the heck does i do with a bunch of Astral magic masters? Its kinda hard to find spells they can do much with, either in combat or summoning. So far im mainly using water magic to produce a massive army of Vile water. But i got a rather large bunch of Astral pearls. And a lot of Astral mages, than dont really do anything.
    Light of the nothern star+astral cascades spam or paralyze spam.

Communion up and cast really big battle spells.

Spend pearls in astral caps.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Alright thanks, guess it is generally things that take a lot more research than i got pt.

Edit.
    Also, are there anything sacret you can summon with the basic spell set?
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2018-01-01 at 08:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Most sacred summons are national spells. The only two I can think of that are generic are the Bishop Fish (UW summon, aquatic, but Holy 3 which is useful) or Mound Fiend (Holy 2 I think, also some general death-type stuff like ethereal and death magic).

Edit: shambler skin armor makes a unit amphibious and works on aquatic units. Easier to make than amulets of the fish bit takes armor slot.
    Last edited by Glimbur; 2018-01-02 at 09:25 AM. Reason: More info

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

I guess a moderate bless investment for Rhyleth was not that viable then (regeneration and hardy), but by dam then im just going to gift of reason all my void monsters, and make them into SC!

Most sacred summons are national spells. The only two I can think of that are generic are the Bishop Fish (UW summon, aquatic, but Holy 3 which is useful) or Mound Fiend (Holy 2 I think, also some general death-type stuff like ethereal and death magic).
    And Holy 3 is kinda nifty, even if it means you need to first go underwater, then get a amulet of the fish.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

So, what time tomorrow do we want to begin? What's our schedule?
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

So, what time tomorrow do we want to begin? What's our schedule?
    Might as well put up the game now and start collecting pretenders. Admin will need to know who is the pretender and who is disciple for each team.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Might as well put up the game now and start collecting pretenders. Admin will need to know who is the pretender and who is disciple for each team.
    Yep we can go ahead and create the base game so people can start sending pretenders that will let us have all day today to work on it.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing as disciple (I think the plan was that veterans all played disciple - it is a helping game after all).

19. - Top - End - #169

I don't recall the exact numbers, but in Dominions 4 an X1 mage could find something like 50%, an X2 could find something like 80%, an X3 could find something like 90%, and an X4 could find 100% of hidden magical sites in X path by searching a province. If you want to increase the probability of any given search finding a site, using a mage with many low- or mid-level paths, such as EA T'ien C'hi's Master of the Five Elements, is often a good bet. Note that there is no guarantee that there are any magical sites (hidden or not) in any given province even at maximum site frequency, and that there are no more than 8 magical sites in a province. Throne provinces are more likely to have sites. Terrain also has an effect on likelihood to have sites, with swamps and wastelands being the most likely to have sites and plains and farmlands being least likely, and also on the kinds of sites which are present, though not necessarily in intuitive ways.

Telestic Animates (Telestic Animation, S3, Thaum-5, 5 pearls; summons an immobile H2), Juggernauts (Juggernaut Construction, S5, Const-9, 25 pearls), and Dust Priests and Dust Kings (Hidden in Sand, E3D1, Ench-6, 75 gems) are the other generic sacred summons.

Also, any commander bearing a Shroud of the Battle Saint (Const-4, S1) will count as blessed (but not as sacred, which matters for a handful of abilities and for upkeep) and will benefit from whatever your blessing is.

A useful resource if you want to try to figure this kind of thing, or some other things, out for yourself, is the Dominions 5 Mod Inspector, which by default shows unmodded Dominions 5 things (there is also a Dominions 4 Mod Inspector, which can be reached by changing the url from dom5inspector to dom4inspector). It appears as though it's not entirely complete at the moment (e.g. the Dominion Immortal ability does not appear to be listed for any unit, such as the Phoenix, which has it in the game), but it has most of the things you might be interested in finding. Note the 'advanced' checkbox - select it, and you can filter for a specific attribute (e.g. sacred) or set of attributes. The 'show keys' checkbox which becomes visible when 'advanced' is selected will let you find out what the internal names used by the site for most attributes are.

Since it's a bit difficult to discover normally, the 'mpath' key accepts values of f, a, w, e, s, n, d, b, h, r, and u for Fire, Air, Water, Earth, Astral, Nature, Death, Blood, Holy, Research, and Random, respectively, and accepts numeric values (1, 2, 3, etc) for path level ('mpath' =~ '4' will return any mage with a skill of 4 in at least one path). If you want to search for a mage with Y skill in X path, values of the form XY where X is one of f, a, w, e, s, n, d, b, h, r, or u and Y is a number will return all mages with that level in that path. If you want to search for a mage with Y skill in X path and K skill in J path, use multiple filters.

As far as big S battle magic goes, Master Enslave and Arcane Domination can be fun, though Antimagic, Will of the Fates, and Doom are probably more practical most of the time.

Mind Burn (or preferably Soul Slay, but you'd need at least S2 before Light of the Northern Star goes up) can also be a useful spam spell with large numbers of low-level S mages, though Stellar Cascades and Paralyze are probably better in most cases.

Magic Duel can be useful (target and attacker roll a d6, not open-ended, and add it to their S level before boosters; at least one of the mages will die, and if both mages get the same result then both die). It can be a good way to kill expensive, valuable, or hard-to-kill things that have relatively low levels of Astral magic, like Dusk Elders, Grand Lemurs, and pretenders/disciples with low or even moderate levels of Astral magic (an S1 has a 1-in-6 chance of killing an S6 in a Magic Duel, and while the S1 will also die, basic S1 mages can be had for under 100 gold, and in some cases for under 50 gold whereas a pretender or disciple is easily worth a lot more than that, so even though the pretender or disciple can come back it can easily be worth sending 10 or 15 cheap S1s off to kill one).

I'm playing as disciple (I think the plan was that veterans all played disciple - it is a helping game after all).
    Pretender design is one of the more complicated things in the game, and doing it well requires some understanding of what your nation - or in the case of a disciples game your nations - needs and wants from its scales, blessings, and pretender/disciple. Especially if the new players are going to play as the pretenders, the veterans should probably talk to them about what the needs and wants of the nations on the team happen to be, and maybe also on how the nations that the other teams have might influence this.

The new players might also want to read this Dominions 4 guide on pretender design.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Game is ready. Feel free to send in your pretenders/disciples. Once the players are all in I'll set up the teams.

Instructions:
    - Go to Game Tools -> Create a pretender god (or in this case "create a pretender god for a disciple game" or "create a disciple") in Dominions. Don't set a password, since for PBEM games they're not helpful and occasionally annoying (e.g. if you need a sub)
    - Go to the savedgames/newlords folder in the dominions directory, and find your pretender file (e.g. mid_pythium_0.2h)
    - E-mail the file to: pretenders[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net
    - Crucially, you must have the game name in the subject line of your e-mail

A few minutes later you should get a confirmation e-mail, and if you check the website you should find your nation added to the list of nations which have joined the game.

If later you think of an improvement to your pretender, you can send it in again. Provided the game hasn't actually started the server will accept your revised pretender, and send you an e-mail to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    There's really not that big of a difference if you ask me, as the disciple has complete freedom of actions too, and you should discuss scales/bless useful for both your nations anyway.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Game is ready. Feel free to send in your pretenders/disciples. Once the players are all in I'll set up the teams.

Instructions:
    - Go to Game Tools -> Create a pretender god (or in this case "create a pretender god for a disciple game" or "create a disciple") in Dominions. Don't set a password, since for PBEM games they're not helpful and occasionally annoying (e.g. if you need a sub)
    - Go to the savedgames/newlords folder in the dominions directory, and find your pretender file (e.g. mid_pythium_0.2h)

A few minutes later you should get a confirmation e-mail, and if you check the website you should find your nation added to the list of nations which have joined the game.

If later you think of an improvement to your pretender, you can send it in again. Provided the game hasn't actually started the server will accept your revised pretender, and send you an e-mail to say so.

There's really not that big of a difference if you ask me, as the disciple has complete freedom of actions too, and you should discuss scales/bless useful for both your nations anyway.
    Uh that says Caelum is not yet assigned to a team.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the admin will have to team everyone on Llamaserver. Caelum is disciple for Jotunheim pretender.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Oh yeah, Pangaea will be carrying the pretender in the Pan/Abysia team.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

OK looks like we're still missing Vanheim, Ulm, and Agartha pretenders.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Just waiting for Squid to get back to me re: coordinating timing for getting those set up tonight.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Instructions:

Looks like we're just waiting on your guys Agartha pretender now.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Sent my pretender, assigned teams, but I need to know who is the main pretender for teams Ulm/Vanheim and Marignon/Pythium.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-03 at 11:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Marignon is the main pretender for our team.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

And Ulm is the main for ours.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Great, game started!

-You should be receiving an e-mail with the turn file.
    -In the dominions 5 savedgames directory, create a new folder with the game name and place the file inside.
    -Inside the game you should be able to load it up with "continue old game".
    -When you're finished giving orders, end turn or save and quit.
    -Go back to the respective game-folders and e-mail the .2h file to turns[at]llamaserver.net with the game name as subject (that's the file with your orders).
    -You should receive a confirmation e-mail a few minutes after sending.

Good luck everybody!
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-04 at 01:15 AM.