New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Great, game started!

-You should be receiving an e-mail with the turn file.
    -In the dominions 4 savedgames directory, create a new folder with the game name and place the file inside.
    -Inside the game you should be able to load it up with "continue old game".
    -When you're finished giving orders, end turn or save and quit.
    -Go back to the respective game-folders and e-mail the .h file to turns[at]llamaserver.net with the game name as subject (that's the file with your orders).
    -You should receive a confirmation e-mail a few minutes after sending.

Good luck everybody!
    Dominions 5 savedgames directory :P

Also, you have it set so that as soon as everybody has sent in their turn it generates the next one right?
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-04 at 01:14 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Hahah, yes, old habits die hard.

Quickhost mode is On, meaning it will automatically resolve the turn if everybody sends before the deadline.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Quickhost mode is On, meaning it will automatically resolve the turn if everybody sends before the deadline.
    Spoiler
    Show

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ah, fun! I'm excited to get this going! I'll be opening up diplomatic channels as soon as it seems relevant--we're all on the forum here so it should be pretty easy.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of diplomacy, usually it's considered fine to scheme, lie and backstab your opponents, but something that's considered sacred is item/gem trading. If you agree to trade something, please do keep your word, since with no trust there can be no trade in-game.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Speaking of diplomacy, usually it's considered fine to scheme, lie and backstab your opponents, but something that's considered sacred is item/gem trading. If you agree to trade something, please do keep your word, since with no trust there can be no trade in-game.
    Yeah, that's a way to lose friends fast, and the meta will remember that forever. Anything else is pretty much fair game, though generally the more formal the agreement, the more fallout you'll eat for reneging on it.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

There's a few major things you're not really supposed to do. This is one of them, inventory flooding (where you send someone a ton of worthless magic items to push good ones out) another, copying Bogus and Friend's orders after charming them a third.

It's a pretty small game. Just dropping the deadline entirely in favor of Quickhost should work just fine.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    There's a few major things you're not really supposed to do. This is one of them, inventory flooding (where you send someone a ton of worthless magic items to push good ones out) another, copying Bogus and Friend's orders after charming them a third.
    Inventory flooding isn't really a problem anymore since magic item space was greatly expanded, and copying attack commander has already been fixed in dominions 4 (besides being an extremely impratical trick since it relies on a one of a kind random event and then having the right paths of magic).

It's a pretty small game. Just dropping the deadline entirely in favor of Quickhost should work just fine.
    Ten players is hardly a small game if you ask me.
    Anyway it depends on what other people want, anybody else voting for that?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no real preference. I'd like to not wait too long for people though. If someone's gone without notice, I don't want to wait a week to see if they come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

As long as we have at least 2 days, I'm happy. That gives enough time to prevent deadline drift with autosubmissions if we maintain a daily schedule.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Halfling in the Playground

Personally, I favor a 26 hour turn timer with autohost on.

Also, I agree; inventory flooding is no longer a relevant concern and attack commander was fixed. The sanctity of trades very much varies with play group, though.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I have no real preference either. While I would like to keep the game moving at a reasonable pace (36-48 hours per turn once we get into the meat of the game is absolutely acceptable for me), I also know that sometimes people miss deadlines due to stuff they couldn't control and that the inherent accountability a disciple game brings makes not having turn timers look like a better option than in non-disciple games.

So yeah, I guess that was a lot of words to say 'I don't really mind.'

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrantar View Post
    Personally, I favor a 26 hour turn timer with autohost on.

Also, I agree; inventory flooding is no longer a relevant concern and attack commander was fixed. The sanctity of trades very much varies with play group, though.
    The first 10 turns or so should definitely be 26 hours or less. Turns take literally 10 minutes max to complete, unless somebody has some specific conflict which they could let us know, there's no reason to have a huge turn timer to start.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    The first 10 turns or so should definitely be 26 hours or less. Turns take literally 10 minutes max to complete, unless somebody has some specific conflict which they could let us know, there's no reason to have a huge turn timer to start.
    Autohost should make the first 10 turns pretty fast regardless of the turn timer, and I at least might effectively lose a day to a sudden 14-16 hour work shift (including travel time).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Autohost should make the first 10 turns pretty fast regardless of the turn timer, and I at least might effectively lose a day to a sudden 14-16 hour work shift (including travel time).
    Which is where the 'let us know' comes in. It's not so sudden that you couldn't post a 10 word notice on the forum here, right?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Which is where the 'let us know' comes in. It's not so sudden that you couldn't post a 10 word notice on the forum here, right?
    Not unless the first ten turns drag on until July or so. Still, 26 hours is little enough that if you check your email daily you might end up with a 2 hour window. Generally that would be fine, but given that this is supposed to be a training game of some sort and what that implies about levels of communication I figure 48 hours would work better.

I'm not saying 26 hours won't work, I just don't think it's necessary.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Not unless the first ten turns drag on until July or so. Still, 26 hours is little enough that if you check your email daily you might end up with a 2 hour window. Generally that would be fine, but given that this is supposed to be a training game of some sort and what that implies about levels of communication I figure 48 hours would work better.

I'm not saying 26 hours won't work, I just don't think it's necessary.
    The problem is that we're still on turn 1, and we've been waiting nearly a full 24 hours on a single non-mentee person. This game is literally going to take months if we leave it at 48 hours a turn for the early game.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Second turn just hosted, and the timer is to 24h.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Second turn just hosted, and the timer is to 24h.
    May want to do 26 just so deadline doesn't creep, probably after about 8 turns or so kick it back to 50h, when it starts to get much more complex.

Is there a way to actually pull up detailed ally province and army information in a Disciples game? I'm not seeing any way to actually look at ally army setup.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-05 at 12:56 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmn, I don't seem to have gotten an email from llamaserver. Is that normal? Is there a way to manually retrieve a turn file?
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Check your spam, maybe? I've had to do that before.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks like there's a Request turn resend option on the game page (http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....=GITPdisciples)

Might also want to double check the spam folder

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sen isSaqqara View Post
    Hmn, I don't seem to have gotten an email from llamaserver. Is that normal? Is there a way to manually retrieve a turn file?
    Yeah check your spam folder - mine showed up at 7:49 PM PST.

Depending on your mail it probably started filtering it out because you've now received a couple very similar emails from the same address.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

May want to do 26 just so deadline doesn't creep, probably after about 8 turns or so kick it back to 50h, when it starts to get much more complex.
    Increased time to 26 hours.

Is there a way to actually pull up detailed ally province and army information in a Disciples game? I'm not seeing any way to actually look at ally army setup.
    You can already see the general stats of allied provinces including any magic sites found like if there was a spy in there.
    Exact army setup can't be directly seen, but you'll share any battle reports.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

You can already see the general stats of allied provinces including any magic sites found like if there was a spy in there.
    Yeah was looking for exact army composition (not deployment just specific units) but there doesn't seem to be any way to pull that up you just get the generic info you get from any other scouted province.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-05 at 03:00 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Check your spam, maybe? I've had to do that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadevoc View Post
    Looks like there's a Request turn resend option on the game page (http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo....=GITPdisciples)

Might also want to double check the spam folder
    Yeah check your spam folder - mine showed up at 7:49 PM PST.

Depending on your mail it probably started filtering it out because you've now received a couple very similar emails from the same address.
    I've tried that, no luck. Don't know where it could be. I'll try the resend button.

EDIT: Success!
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2018-01-05 at 11:25 AM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I was thinking you could see army composition and commander item loadout. That's kind of bad you can't, it makes it really tough to gauge how strong your ally army actually is without talking to them outside the game.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah I was thinking you could see army composition and commander item loadout. That's kind of bad you can't, it makes it really tough to gauge how strong your ally army actually is without talking to them outside the game.
    Good thing we can talk to them outside the game!
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sen isSaqqara View Post
    Good thing we can talk to them outside the game!
    Right but given the layout of a Disciples game and the fact you share things like Dominion you'd think that they would have given you more information in-game.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-05 at 03:18 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Right but given the layout of a Disciples game and the fact you share things like Dominion you'd think that they would have given you more information in-game.
    It would make sense to do so. On the other hand, expectations for UI transparency from Illwinter should probably be pretty low as a whole.