New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well.. alternatively we should come with speculation on other peoples strategies.. ? I was actually thinking about taking a crack at every nation one by one, seeing how close i can get.
    I mean Jotunheim seems kinda simple at a glance. Either someone wants to screw everyone else over with Cold 3, or they want to smash their face in with regenerating giants.
    MA Jotunheim is more likely to be using skinshifters than anything else, and blessed sacreds synergize really well with pushing hostile dominion (high dominion helps both, it takes money that would be useful for positive scales, Jotunheim actually likes the cold and there's several nations in this game that really don't, etc.).

A lot of us have access to some pretty predictable but pretty effective strategies in this game. I fully expect Vanheim to hit somebody with lightning sooner rather than later. Nobody is going to be surprised if I hit them with a communion while playing Pythium. There's going to be construct armies coming from Agartha, and they might already have them reinforcing their garbage, garbage troops. Plus the elephant core, the thieves.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I mean, I've seen a good few of you, but I'm one of the flying scouts nations.

Also, you're mentioning Vanheim's lightning when Caelum, perhaps the premier lightning-spam nation is in the game? My guess is Vanheim-Ulm's strategy has something to do with craptons of cheap owl quills, or at least that's one facet of it--a guaranteed air gem income can be great for Ulm and whoever else they're selling their wares to.

Edit: I, of course, will be keeping my own pro strats secret.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2018-01-08 at 01:00 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Also, you're mentioning Vanheim's lightning when Caelum, perhaps the premier lightning-spam nation is in the game? My guess is Vanheim-Ulm's strategy has something to do with craptons of cheap owl quills, or at least that's one facet of it--a guaranteed air gem income can be great for Ulm and whoever else they're selling their wares to.
    Caelum throwing lightning around is roughly as unexpected as Vanheim doing so, yes. Vanheim has more in the way of mage-commanders that end up leading armies by necessity though, so I'd expect it from them a bit earlier.

Yeah, because nobody could guess what Abyssia or Pangea might be up to. Especially Abyssia - theirs is a subtle toolbox with many tools in it, any of which may come by surprise. Maybe they'll throw lots of fire around. Maybe they won't. Who knows?

Oh right, everyone.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

MA Jotunheim is more likely to be using skinshifters than anything else, and blessed sacreds synergize really well with pushing hostile dominion (high dominion helps both, it takes money that would be useful for positive scales, Jotunheim actually likes the cold and there's several nations in this game that really don't, etc.).

A lot of us have access to some pretty predictable but pretty effective strategies in this game. I fully expect Vanheim to hit somebody with lightning sooner rather than later. Nobody is going to be surprised if I hit them with a communion while playing Pythium. There's going to be construct armies coming from Agartha, and they might already have them reinforcing their garbage, garbage troops. Plus the elephant core, the thieves.
    Well.. that shows what i know from only playing singleplayer
    Would have though that getting a propper set of blessings would make it to expensive to also get a really good Dominion though. And would have though Pythium mainly meant a lot of snakes.

Does it.. involve.. a lot of flying raiders.. and trambling people flat with elephants?

Yeah, because nobody could guess what Abyssia or Pangea might be up to. Especially Abyssia - theirs is a subtle toolbox with many tools in it, any of which may come by surprise. Maybe they'll throw lots of fire around. Maybe they won't. Who knows?

Oh right, everyone.
    Hey! dam! spoilers! i had not yet made a guess for Abyssia! i though they seemed a little tricky..
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Oh, don't worry, I've been there on the lightning. I play a decent amount of Eriu, and they have the same thing as Vanheim in their mages. That said, I'm wondering if that Ulm-Vanheim team decided to take drain scales. On the one hand, Ulm is mostly immune to them, but on the other, elves are terrible researchers (mostly because they brought all that gear, maybe a horse, and some priest powers along with their magic scales).

We actually have a number of the more-predictable nations hanging around, which isn't surprising with a lot of new players.

Edit for Khaine: I'm Pangaea, not Caelum--it's basically just my scouts that fly; the stat line on harpies is...uninspiring. As for Pythium, they are the MA communion nation (alongside the monkeys, but I don't know them well)--all those astral mages and they even have a unique troop that starts each battle as a communion slave. Additionally, since all their mages are priests as well, they have the premier holy communion toolbox, beware if your units are banishable.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2018-01-08 at 02:22 PM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Well.. alternatively we should come with speculation on other peoples strategies.. ? I was actually thinking about taking a crack at every nation one by one, seeing how close i can get.
    I mean Jotunheim seems kinda simple at a glance. Either someone wants to screw everyone else over with Cold 3, or they want to smash their face in with regenerating giants.

bahh! thats not nit's its algea! spelling is hard! especially in english.
    Cold 3 isn't a strategy its just common sense.

Different nations have different ideal heat at which they are 'neutral', and always start there for pretender scales, and every click away from that (either hot or cold) gives you the extra points and the penalty. So especially on disciple it would have been smart for pairs to pick nations that aren't more than 1 or 2 points apart on the Heat/Cold scale so one of them doesn't get screwed.

Jotunheim is Cold 2 start and Caelum is Cold 3 start, so they synergize well on the environment scales.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Edit for Khaine: I'm Pangaea, not Caelum--it's basically just my scouts that fly; the stat line on harpies is...uninspiring. As for Pythium, they are the MA communion nation (alongside the monkeys, but I don't know them well)--all those astral mages and they even have a unique troop that starts each battle as a communion slave. Additionally, since all their mages are priests as well, they have the premier holy communion toolbox, beware if your units are banishable.
    I'd actually consider Pythium better at it than Bandar Log, although BL is probably more reliant on the strategy given the sad state of their troops once elephants start getting a bit obsolete.

As for harpies, I like to think of them as flying markata. Except that markata are at least useful at soaking a cavalry charge. Back in Dom 3 they actually did have a use, in that Pangea (much like Caelum) could run with an overtax rush strategy where you tax your capital at 200 to fund the early war machine, patrolling with flying troops. Sadly Dom 4 took that away.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'd actually consider Pythium better at it than Bandar Log, although BL is probably more reliant on the strategy given the sad state of their troops once elephants start getting a bit obsolete.

As for harpies, I like to think of them as flying markata. Except that markata are at least useful at soaking a cavalry charge. Back in Dom 3 they actually did have a use, in that Pangea (much like Caelum) could run with an overtax rush strategy where you tax your capital at 200 to fund the early war machine, patrolling with flying troops. Sadly Dom 4 took that away.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Bandar Log was their equal--just another nation that will always go for communions with heavy astral (Arco does too, but they're weird about it). Also, harpies aren't bad; they have their uses, but conventional combat and raiding aren't them.

Edit: Also, a single tick on the weather scales isn't a terrible idea on any nation besides the ones that are heavily reliant on it (see Abysia or Caelum), given that seasons already fluctuate your temperatures a bit.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2018-01-08 at 03:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

Caelum throwing lightning around is roughly as unexpected as Vanheim doing so, yes. Vanheim has more in the way of mage-commanders that end up leading armies by necessity though, so I'd expect it from them a bit earlier.
    Maybe. Vanheim's Vanherses are neither cheap nor skilled, as mages go, and while Vanjarls are more skilled mages they're also considerably more expensive; Vanheim's research therefore tends to be relatively slow, especially compared to Caelum, who has very cheap A1 and W1 researchers and slightly more guaranteed A gem income for Owl Quills (though no native access to E for Dwarven Hammers, which would somewhat more than offset the extra A gem/turn if no one and no event gives Caelum a hammer), and Vanheim's ability to mass enough A2+ mages for effective lightning spam is likewise lesser than Caelum's. You might see the occasional lightning bolt out of Vanheim earlier, but Caelum can probably bring down more lightning and thunder faster.

Vanheim's Vanjarls are also pretty decent light thugs out of the box, especially if they have a good bless, and become even more so with just a bit of research (Alt-3 for Mistform, eventually some Construction for a weapon and shield upgrade), so Vanheim could also send its early research that way instead of into Evocation.

Different nations have different ideal heat at which they are 'neutral', and always start there for pretender scales, and every click away from that (either hot or cold) gives you the extra points and the penalty. So especially on disciple it would have been smart for pairs to pick nations that aren't more than 1 or 2 points apart on the Heat/Cold scale so one of them doesn't get screwed.

Jotunheim is Cold 2 start and Caelum is Cold 3 start, so they synergize well on the environment scales.
    You only get points for the first three steps away from your preferred Heat/Cold scale.

Also, arguably, starting with nations which are three points apart on temperature preference is a good way to go in a Disciples game. The pretender can shift temperature scales three away from its preference and make up for it through some other scales or use the extra 120 points to help pay for a great bless, and it doesn't hurt the disciple at all. This becomes even more true if you have multiple disciples for each pretender, because the degree to which the team is hurt by having the 'wrong' temperature scales for the pretender nation becomes relatively less the more players there are per team.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2018-01-08 at 03:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

So.. i got a mark with "story event location" in a game.
    I can investigate the place, but nothing happens there. What am i suposed to do?
    Bring my pretender there? a prophet?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Look up what you do in the mod inspector https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/ . Remember to hit 'i' to see province history.
    Last edited by Glimbur; 2018-01-08 at 07:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

IMO, good riddance for the removal of taxes control. The last thing the game needed was more micro.

Also remember that in Dominions 5 mages taking any amount of damage can lose their concentration and be unable to cast, so harpies can wreck havoc in an exposed mage backline.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-08 at 08:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    IMO, good riddance for the removal of taxes control. The last thing the game needed was more micro.
    The removal of micro I'm all for. The removal of actual strategy, less so. Something like a patrol and overtax order would have been appreciated.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

The removal of micro I'm all for. The removal of actual strategy, less so. Something like a patrol and overtax order would have been appreciated.
    It's called "pillage".

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It's called "pillage".
    In the context of your own capital, not so much.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Look up what you do in the mod inspector https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/ . Remember to hit 'i' to see province history.
    Thank you, but the problem is i dont see anything. There is a red book above the province. And there is the option to investigate or attack event. But thats it.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you, but the problem is i dont see anything. There is a red book above the province. And there is the option to investigate or attack event. But thats it.
    Right click on in-game the province and press i. That'll show every event that happened there, including who conquered it and whatnot.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Right click on in-game the province and press i. That'll show every event that happened there, including who conquered it and whatnot.
    Yes i did... and its not showing anything..

But i guess mostly everyone else here has not enabled storyevents?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if one doesn't have story events, 'i' should show the basic conquest reports if nothing else. If not even that is showing, then it appears to be a key bidding problem.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-09 at 08:22 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Well i am getting a report, its just not telling me anything. Besides i conquered it a few years ago.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Well that's even more strange since story events should still start as a random event and you should've seen it if you already controlled the province for a lot of time.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

I cant see anything of that sort. Can it be a quest for someone else to take that location, or something like that?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to be travelling and without internet/computer access for about a day - tomorrow, specifically. That means that I'll need a delay on turn 8, unless turn 7 actually resolves within the next 14.5 hours, in which case I'll need a delay on turn 9.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to be travelling and without internet/computer access for about a day - tomorrow, specifically. That means that I'll need a delay on turn 8, unless turn 7 actually resolves within the next 14.5 hours, in which case I'll need a delay on turn 9.
    OK so just to be clear when you say tomorrow - you are going to be gone Wednesday and returning Thursday?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    OK so just to be clear when you say tomorrow - you are going to be gone Wednesday and returning Thursday?
    I'll be gone Wednesday, Jan 9, 2018 CE (mountain time, GMT-7), from about 0430 to Thursday, time as yet unknown (it depends on how cooperative the bus system between a few cities feels like being). I'm hoping to quickly submit turn 8 midnightish to minimize delays, but that depends on when the current turn finishes.

That probably results in me being the last person to submit turn 9, at which point we return to our regular Agartha/Caelum/Vanheim regulated schedule.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean it depends. I've had a couple problems with events just simply not doing what they claim they're doing - so a previous event may have not triggered properly.

Heck in the game we're in right now it claimed I got -3 dominion in a province, but I was Dom 1 there last turn and I'm Dom 2 there this turn and it is literally not possible for me to get 4 dominion in a square in a turn.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Heck in the game we're in right now it claimed I got -3 dominion in a province, but I was Dom 1 there last turn and I'm Dom 2 there this turn and it is literally not possible for me to get 4 dominion in a square in a turn.
    I think what that event means is that you get -3 dominion immediately, before dominion spread. At Dom 1 you lose 1 dominion instead (as you can't go negative) at which point you then gained two. Note that random events are item 27 in the turn resolution sequence, and dominion spread is item 39; getting 4 dominion in one province in a turn would have left it at Dom 4. The -3 is then reported because that's the effect of the event in isolation, and it doesn't actually check minimum dominion.

This game sometimes. Speaking of dominion, I miss the old candle display. It was stylish, and while there's a lot of display changes I'm all for (province names) that one was unfortunate.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

I mean it depends. I've had a couple problems with events just simply not doing what they claim they're doing - so a previous event may have not triggered properly.
    Yeah it can of course just be the new events bugging.
    Gee what a surprise :P

This game sometimes. Speaking of dominion, I miss the old candle display. It was stylish, and while there's a lot of display changes I'm all for (province names) that one was unfortunate.
    I do miss the candles as well. Make it a lot easier to see how your dominion strenght rise and fall.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can it be a quest for someone else to take that location, or something like that?
    That might be the answer, after a fashion - story event chains remain active when the province changes hands, but I seem to recall that the province history (i) shows only those events that occurred in the province while it was under your rule, or at least under your observation (e.g. with a Spy). Not positive since I don't think I've ever bothered to cast it, but maybe Acashic Record cast on the capital of the former owner(s) of the province or The Eyes of God global enchantment would reveal event history under their rule.

Can you see any magical sites in the province? If so, what are they? We might be able to tell you if there's an event chain associated with one (or more) of them and give you advice on how best to complete it.

I do miss the candles as well. Make it a lot easier to see how your dominion strenght rise and fall.
    You can turn the display of the candles back on in the Map Filters menu or by pressing cntrl+3.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2018-01-09 at 04:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll be gone Wednesday, Jan 9, 2018 CE (mountain time, GMT-7), from about 0430 to Thursday, time as yet unknown (it depends on how cooperative the bus system between a few cities feels like being). I'm hoping to quickly submit turn 8 midnightish to minimize delays, but that depends on when the current turn finishes.

That probably results in me being the last person to submit turn 9, at which point we return to our regular Agartha/Caelum/Vanheim regulated schedule.
    Well turn is out now, if you can put it in that should cover it till you get back, otherwise we'll need to push it back.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!