New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Exclamation 2018 OOTS Stick Tales Calendar in print and digital!

2018 Stick Tales Calendar

So it's a little bit on the later side again this year, but the Order of the Stick calendar is finally available for pre-order. Our theme this year is Stick Tales, which, if you've read Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales, you know is what I call it when I have the OOTS characters basically play dress-up and take on the roles of other famous stories. Each of the twelve months will be a different such story. For example, here's January's take on Moby Dick:

The calendar is the same 12" x 12" glossy full color affair as it has been in previous years, but for the first time ever, we're offering it as a digital edition right out of the gate. (Last year, we only made a PDF version once the physical copies sold out.) The digital edition is great if you just want to see the jokes and look at the art but don't need to actually hang it on your wall.

You can get the print version from Ookoodook and the digital edition from Gumroad.

In both cases, it's important to note that this is a pre-order at this time. The calendars are scheduled to arrive on December 11th at the Ookoodook warehouse and they'll jump into action to mail them out after that. But sometimes stuff gets delayed at the printer, so that date is not a solid promise on our part. It's our best guess. The digital calendars are also a pre-sale because I really don't want anyone to get spoiled on the jokes or art before they get theirs in the mail—and also because I still have two months left to draw, so it's not like I could deliver it today anyway. Digital copies will arrive in your email inbox on December 18th, one week later. Or you could just wait until the 18th and buy it right away; this option is mostly so that people hearing about it today don't have to remember to come back and order it in two-and-a-half weeks.

Since I'm sure someone will ask, yes, there is still a plan to have a holiday ornament, and yes, I know that I'm cutting the shipping times very close with all of this. Give me a few more days to get that ready.

If there are questions or confusion, feel free to ask here and I'll try to check in and answer what I can.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 2018 OOTS Stick Tales Calendar in print and digital!

Excellent news.

Thanks, Rich!

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Mh, maybe it would be wise to switch to digital to not pay that insane amount of international shipping this time... (though I really like the print aspect :-/)

By the way: Gumroad lists that the Digital Edition will be delivered on December 14
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2017-11-28 at 03:53 PM.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4

Wow, thanks for catching that. I changed the delivery at the last moment because of the printer's long history of messing up and delivering a few days late. Luckily only one person had pre-ordered the calendar yet!
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

5. - Top - End - #5

FYI, the post office is already saying that international shipping is going to take much longer this year (projected three weeks), so you need to order as soon as possible for things that ship right away to get them before Christmas.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What are the odds of ever selling PDF versions of out-of-date calendars?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What are the odds of ever selling PDF versions of out-of-date calendars?
    Well, I had them all up last year. Maybe I'll turn them back on, since you're the second person to ask.
    Rich Burlew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    FYI, the post office is already saying that international shipping is going to take much longer this year (projected three weeks), so you need to order as soon as possible for things that ship right away to get them before Christmas.
    They aren't shipping out until the 18th. I would not expect them by Christmas even within the United States.

Edit - 11th, not 18th. That's plenty of time in the US.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2017-11-28 at 04:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

OK, turned the four-calendar bundle from last year back on in the Gumroad store, if there's anyone else who wanted it but missed it last year: https://gum.co/calbundle
    Rich Burlew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I too am in favor of keeping out of date calendars available in digital format for the art.

Looking forward to the 2018 calendar. Moby Xykon! :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Aaaaaand ordered on Ookoodook.

I'll order my digital copies later next month.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is easily my favorite calendar concept thus far.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ooh, I missed the calendar last year but I’m definitely going to pick up this one. Maybe I should grab that PDF too, while I’m at it.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Ordered the print version despite the insane shipping costs and the digital version for good measure.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo hoo! I was thinking it was about time for the new calendar!

Thanks, Giant!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, turned the four-calendar bundle from last year back on in the Gumroad store, if there's anyone else who wanted it but missed it last year: https://gum.co/calbundle
    I just downloaded the bundle, thank you! However, I’d like to also say that the “2014 OOTSCalendar DigitalEdition v1.pdf” ’s last page is that of the “2015_OOTSCalendar_DigitalEdition_v1.pdf” one. Would you, please, correct it and make available the correct page / calendar? Thanks,

Roger Druid
    Last edited by Roger_Druid; 2017-11-29 at 02:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've pre-ordered both physical and digital. Always looking for ways to support my favorite story!
    When in doubt, assume you rolled a natural one.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can't wait to preorder once pay comes in next week. I love Moby ****, so this is perfect.
    !

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

I just took the bundle and the new calendar too, both in pdf. Woohoo!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Woo-hoo!

MAybe I can finally get in on some of that sweet sweet pre-order action.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Ordered the dead tree version, thank you.

In years past, part of calendar sales were donated; if you're doing so this year, to which organization(s) are you donating?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Has anyone had experience printing the PDF one? I'm really really thinking of getting the physical one, but international shipping is 21 dollars (cheapest) to my place, meaning it's actually more expensive than the calendar itself.

I'd like to know which kind of paper you used. If anyone from Brazil did it, I also appreciate any hint.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

I know every place I went to in Colorado to get it printed last year was more expensive than getting it shipped. Maybe it will be better this year.

Still I can only afford the pdf so, pre-order I go.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post
    Has anyone had experience printing the PDF one? I'm really really thinking of getting the physical one, but international shipping is 21 dollars (cheapest) to my place, meaning it's actually more expensive than the calendar itself.

I'd like to know which kind of paper you used. If anyone from Brazil did it, I also appreciate any hint.
    There was some discussion (and sticker shock) about this in last year's thread The main problem is that printing things like these calendars isn't cheap. Especially as print shops might try to upsell you on the highest quality paper and ink.

I'd suggest calling around to see what it might cost to print something like seven double-sided pages of A2* sized glossy (NOT photo, that's way overkill) paper.

It won't be cheap, but then again the only reason it is cheaper for Rich is that he's ordering it in bulk.

* I say A2 because the calendar pages themselves are 12 in by 12 in (or perhaps more accurately, 12 x 24 and then folded in half), which is a non-standard size paper near as I can tell.

If you can get that size, great, though they would need to be stapled together. Or hung separately from each other since one page is the art with the actual calendar on a separate page, as seen in the first post.

Looking about A2 seems to be the closest to that at 16.5 x 23.4 inches (the borders on the left and right can presumably be cut to fit). Fold it in the middle and you might be okay.

You'd probably also want to have them staple it in the center, but so are the regular calendars.

Alternatively, might ask if fourteen single-sided pages of A2 sized paper would be cheaper. I wouldn't bother stapling it in that case, just manually move the pages around as the months pass (and perhaps staple it together when the year is over).

Also perhaps ask what cheaper alternatives to glossy paper there are. If you can get a grade or two lower and it looks acceptable to your eyes, might go that way.

As mentioned in last year's thread, see if you have personal access to a printer that can print 11x17 sized paper. The image would be shrunk a bit (11 inches instead of 12) and you'd have to figure out how to best display the separate pages, but it's better than nothing

In any case, you'll probably have to make compromises somewhere along the line.

====

These are just shoot-from-the-hip suggestions, BTW, as I haven't tried to do it myself.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-11-30 at 09:15 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Print version ordered.

All I know is I'll be a tad disappointed if there isn't a "wight whale" pun in that month.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ordered the print version despite the insane shipping costs and the digital version for good measure.
    Same here. The digital version will tide me over until the print version arrives here in Germany.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Just got to the last page of the 2017 calendar. I love the dungeon-map showing 2018 in brief.

Thanks, Rich!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Idiot question time: if I buy the PDF version does it come with something to let a print shop know it's okay to print it? And if I buy n copies (e.g. as presents), do I get something to tell them it's okay to print n times?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Since I'm sure someone will ask, yes, there is still a plan to have a holiday ornament, and yes, I know that I'm cutting the shipping times very close with all of this. Give me a few more days to get that ready.

If there are questions or confusion, feel free to ask here and I'll try to check in and answer what I can.
    Are there any plans to have refrigerator magnet versions of the ornaments? Right now all I have is the OotS magnet and Roy guarding my grocery list. I don't have much use for ornaments, but I could definitely use the OotS gang on my fridge.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Idiot question time: if I buy the PDF version does it come with something to let a print shop know it's okay to print it? And if I buy n copies (e.g. as presents), do I get something to tell them it's okay to print n times?
    On the last page of the calendars there is the following disclaimer:

"Permission is granted to print this calendar for personal usage"

Whether or not a print shop actually honors that is a case of YMMV as, IIRC, one poster had trouble last year with a local shop deciding to ignore that waiver.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2017-12-03 at 01:39 PM.