Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 424
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    That background works fine to me, and the mix of memories from different dead people could work with the original disguise kit integrated tool idea - putting on different faces & all.

    I probably should have expanded a bit on why I didn't think conqueror was a good fit for a spy - warforged or otherwise. That mostly comes down to conqueror being an inherently unsubtle archetype, even if run as a dexadin. You want your enemies to see you, to know just how deadly you are. The Conqueror's intimidation isn't a bluff or a con, it's a sincere threat. That and the fundamental lawfulness of the concept is a poor fit for spies, who are constantly bending and breaking rules, even if in service to an authority.

    Now, you can always fudge story and theme, but the selling point of the conqueror - the strong and /specific/ mechanical realization of its narrative themes - works against it here. Conqueror isn't a very broad subclass. The aura of conquest in particular is going to make your character an imperious, attention-demanding bully in combat scenes, regardless of what your character's disposition is supposed to be otherwise. This works great if your concept is a soldier, cop, judge, inquisitor, crusader, warlord, or vigilante. But even the limited subterfuge involved in being, say, a crime boss or mob enforcer might start to feel like a bit of a stretch.


    ...........

    As for the Raven Queen connection... what you described works really well for a 4e type version of the Raven Queen, but check with your DM to ensure that that version of the Raven Queen is in play in your game. The default 5e Raven Queen, while a potentially interesting concept (only potentially, because there's honestly not a lot of detail or substance there yet, though that is kind of the point), is a far cry from her 4e roots. Default 5e Raven Queen isn't a death god, or particularly associated with death or winter. She does collect the occasional souls, along with memories, emotions, secrets, and just random trinkets and shiny things, but she doesn't seem to stake any sort of claim on all souls in general, nor is she tied to a natural order involving the cycle of life and death - if anything the souls she steals are taken /from/ that natural order.

    Again, if you're running with a 4e style raven queen, that's all well and good. If however your DM plans to use the 5e version, or none at all, you might be better off going with whatever the FR non-evil death god is. Kelemvor, maybe? Your warforged sounds a bit militant for Kelemvor, but that disposition can come from the other parts of your background.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wildarm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    That background works fine to me, and the mix of memories from different dead people could work with the original disguise kit integrated tool idea - putting on different faces & all.

    I probably should have expanded a bit on why I didn't think conqueror was a good fit for a spy - warforged or otherwise. That mostly comes down to conqueror being an inherently unsubtle archetype, even if run as a dexadin. You want your enemies to see you, to know just how deadly you are. The Conqueror's intimidation isn't a bluff or a con, it's a sincere threat. That and the fundamental lawfulness of the concept is a poor fit for spies, who are constantly bending and breaking rules, even if in service to an authority.

    Now, you can always fudge story and theme, but the selling point of the conqueror - the strong and /specific/ mechanical realization of its narrative themes - works against it here. Conqueror isn't a very broad subclass. The aura of conquest in particular is going to make your character an imperious, attention-demanding bully in combat scenes, regardless of what your character's disposition is supposed to be otherwise. This works great if your concept is a soldier, cop, judge, inquisitor, crusader, warlord, or vigilante. But even the limited subterfuge involved in being, say, a crime boss or mob enforcer might start to feel like a bit of a stretch.


    ...........

    As for the Raven Queen connection... what you described works really well for a 4e type version of the Raven Queen, but check with your DM to ensure that that version of the Raven Queen is in play in your game. The default 5e Raven Queen, while a potentially interesting concept (only potentially, because there's honestly not a lot of detail or substance there yet, though that is kind of the point), is a far cry from her 4e roots. Default 5e Raven Queen isn't a death god, or particularly associated with death or winter. She does collect the occasional souls, along with memories, emotions, secrets, and just random trinkets and shiny things, but she doesn't seem to stake any sort of claim on all souls in general, nor is she tied to a natural order involving the cycle of life and death - if anything the souls she steals are taken /from/ that natural order.

    Again, if you're running with a 4e style raven queen, that's all well and good. If however your DM plans to use the 5e version, or none at all, you might be better off going with whatever the FR non-evil death god is. Kelemvor, maybe? Your warforged sounds a bit militant for Kelemvor, but that disposition can come from the other parts of your background.
    DM seems OK with Raven Queen being a diety in FR though a more mysterious one. I might have to tone down the souls thing. I did think inducing the full range of emotions in friends and foes is a nice angle on the fear aspect of a Conquest Pally. Another option could be the Knights of the Eternal Order with Kelemvor. Just be a Paladin on Conquest with the goal being investigation and extermination of intelligent undead. Not sure how to work the warforged envoy uniqueness into that though. From a fear point of view he could be giving enemies a glimpse of what awaits their souls in the afterlife? Kelemvor is pretty neutral now though so it's not all fire and brimstone.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2018-10-05 at 11:16 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    If your warforged's personality is a composite of the thoughts, memories, and dying emotions of a battlefield worth of war casualties, then that's a pretty strong source of fear right there, fear your paladin has to contend with on a moment to moment basis, and that they can open up to share with their enemies in combat.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Edgerunner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    OK I went Hexblade 1 and the plan is Paladin to Conquest from here on out in Dragon Heist and then on to Mad Mage.

    Yea I shoulda gone Pali 1st and then Hexblade down the road but the DM said Any Multiclassing Must be done at the Earliest LvL so that choice Had to be made as such.

    My question is.... how do I play it before I get the LvL 7 Pali Aura that dictates how my character works from that point forward @ LvL 8?

    Is there a solid strategy that gets me thru those tough LvLs?

    CHR 17
    Wrathful Smite and Comprehend Languages are on my Spell list
    CON is 14 and DEX is 14.
    Wearing Chain Shirt with Shield and Longsword. Planning Defense Fighting Style. STR is 10 never wearing heavy Armor.
    Last edited by Edgerunner; 2018-10-07 at 10:34 AM.
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    You need min strength 13 to multi paladin at all. -_-

    If you can change your char around, start with pal for heavy armor prof, take hexblade at level 2, then go back to pally, as str 15 for heavy armor is a lesser stat req than str 13/dex 14 which you need for medium armor and multiclass paladin. That said, medium armor and hex at level one can work, particularly if the rest of the party is stelthy and you dont want to be the odd one out, but it will cost you in your other stats. Also, don't take wrathful smite, or any other spell you'll learn from paladin, as a warlock spell known. Warlock spells known are a lot more limited than paladin spells memorized, save those for spells you won't have access to otherwise, like Shield.

    As for surviving till aura of conquest, its not exactly a hard road. You're a paladin. Smite stuff. Hexblade dip only improves your killing potential, and conqueror will give you spiritual weapon for bonus action attacks. You'll be fine.

    If you can't switch stuff around at this point... have fun with your hexblade. It is by no means a bad class, so you'll still be fine. Just a bit more fragile, and a lot lighter on tanking and control later on, but also potentially a good bit killier.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Edgerunner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    You need min strength 13 to multi paladin at all. -_-

    Warlock spells known are a lot more limited than paladin spells memorized, save those for spells you won't have access to otherwise, like Shield.

    As for surviving till aura of conquest, its not exactly a hard road. You're a paladin. Smite stuff. Hexblade dip only improves your killing potential, and conqueror will give you spiritual weapon for bonus action attacks. You'll be fine.

    If you can't switch stuff around at this point... have fun with your hexblade. It is by no means a bad class, so you'll still be fine. Just a bit more fragile, and a lot lighter on tanking and control later on, but also potentially a good bit killier.
    DM allowed me to MC because of the 14 DEX.

    Always thought Shield was a crutch and not worth the spell slot honestly

    I will use the rest of your recommendations because they do fit well with our Battlemaster, Cleric, Wizard and my Warlock/Pali build. I can hang a bit behind and just hit stuff for a few LvLs
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    You can call it a crutch, but 'not worth its spell slot' is somethong else entirely. Few first level spells can compare to its utility, and fewer still are just as strong a dozen levels later without upcasting. But even if you dont take shield, i'd still skip wrathful smite, as you'll know it anyway from paladin. No use burning one of your very limited warlock spells known on a spell you'll have access to regardless.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Some hellhole in Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    So, I'm running a Variant Human level 11th Conqueror, and I expect to level up to 12th in the next few sessions. My stats areas follows:

    STR 16 (19 with gauntlets of ogre power)
    DEX 10
    CON 14
    INT 12
    WIS 13
    CHA 20

    Level 1 feat: Resilient (CON)
    Level 4 ASI: CHA
    Level 8 feat: Sentinel

    I'm considering picking Shield Master on 12th. I mainly fight with shield and flail and, when the situation allows it, with a greatsword.

    I feel I may have too many reaction and bonus actions options.

    What are your opinions on the matter?
    "Bend your knee! While you still have a knee to bend!

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2018

    Thumbs up Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    This guide has been essential in helping me prepare my spells, as well as giving me direction as I've been leveling mine in my current campaign; can't thank you enough! I have been playing an Aesmir (Fallen variant) Oath of Conquest paladin of Bane in the Tomb of Annihilation campaign, and it feels amazing; she has been able to fear-lock all of the tougher living enemies, and smite the pants off of the un-living enemies. She was a GWF, but have most recently talked to my GM about changing to the more traditional mace and board version, since she has donned the shield of her fallen battle-brother (our grave cleric), and taken to fighting with a mace of terror that now leaves her not alone with her own thoughts. The traps and enemies have been tough, but should she survive the tomb, I would love to play her through higher levels, where this now-bookmarked guide will continue to be handy. Heck; if she does die, I may make a Yuan-Ti version of her in a less-lethal setting! Cheers!

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    McSkrag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Frog View Post
    So, I'm running a Variant Human level 11th Conqueror, and I expect to level up to 12th in the next few sessions. My stats areas follows:

    STR 16 (19 with gauntlets of ogre power)
    DEX 10
    CON 14
    INT 12
    WIS 13
    CHA 20

    Level 1 feat: Resilient (CON)
    Level 4 ASI: CHA
    Level 8 feat: Sentinel

    I'm considering picking Shield Master on 12th. I mainly fight with shield and flail and, when the situation allows it, with a greatsword.

    I feel I may have too many reaction and bonus actions options.

    What are your opinions on the matter?
    I think Shield Master is a super solid pick. The defense makes you a better tank. Being able to shove at will as a bonus action is great. Frightened enemies will be at disadvantage vs. the shove and then won't be able to stand up if you knock them prone. The thing to consider with SM is coordinating shoves with your ranged attack teammates since they will get disadvantage on attacks vs. prone and sometimes you will need your bonus action to cast a spell.

    Sentinel gives you good offensive reactions. You are probably set there.
    Last edited by McSkrag; 2018-10-15 at 11:04 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Edgerunner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Did I read this correctly.

    5E PHB pg 164 under pact magic.
    If you have both the Spellcasting class
    feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock
    class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact
    Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared
    from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you
    can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting
    class feature to cast warlock spells you know.


    So as a LvL 1 Hexblade / LvL 2 Paladin, I can Divine Smite "5" Times????

    IE; Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot and 2 Paladin slots???

    That Can't be Right.
    Last edited by Edgerunner; 2018-10-18 at 05:21 PM.
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Some hellhole in Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    Did I read this correctly.

    5E PHB pg 164 under pact magic.
    If you have both the Spellcasting class
    feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock
    class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact
    Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared
    from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you
    can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting
    class feature to cast warlock spells you know.


    So as a LvL 1 Hexblade / LvL 2 Paladin, I can Divine Smite "5" Times????

    IE; Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot and 2 Paladin slots???

    That Can't be Right.
    Yes it is right, but not by multiclassing stipulation, but by Divine Smite's.

    PHB page 85, under Divine Smite

    (...)when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage(...)

    It doea not stipulate you must expend a paladin spell slot, so you can very well expend any you have available.
    "Bend your knee! While you still have a knee to bend!

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Edgerunner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Frog View Post
    Yes it is right, but not by multiclassing stipulation, but by Divine Smite's.

    PHB page 85, under Divine Smite

    (...)when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage(...)

    It doea not stipulate you must expend a paladin spell slot, so you can very well expend any you have available.
    Wait then.
    So @ Lvl 2 Hexblade Warlock/ Lvl 2 Paladin....... You can You can do 6x Divine Smites @ 2d8 + weapon Damage 1d8 + 1d8 Booming Blade (if they Move) and then 2x Lvl 1 Divine Smites @ 2d8 + Weapon 1d8 + Booming Blade again with a Short rest, Short Rest, Long rest system for a total of 8 Divine Smites???
    Then @ LvlL 3 hexblade Warlock / LvL 2 Paladin those 6x Warlock Smites using a 2nd LvL slot go UP to 3d8 AND you get 2 Invocations???

    That Has to make it into the Hexblade Multi Class section!.
    Last edited by Edgerunner; 2018-10-18 at 07:34 PM.
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    That Can't be Right.
    As already pointed out, it is right, though in general, and for a conqueror/hexblade in particular, there are usually better uses of those slots, with shield, bless, and (especially) wrathful smite springing immediately to mind. Smite is a nice, reliable fallback option to have, with particularly nice sybergy with hexblade's expanded crit range on curse targets, so don't get me wrong, it'll certainly see use in such a build. But it's not that meaningful a power upgrade over just having the spell slots to begin with.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wildarm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    Wait then.
    So @ Lvl 2 Hexblade Warlock/ Lvl 2 Paladin....... You can You can do 6x Divine Smites @ 2d8 + weapon Damage 1d8 + 1d8 Booming Blade (if they Move) and then 2x Lvl 1 Divine Smites @ 2d8 + Weapon 1d8 + Booming Blade again with a Short rest, Short Rest, Long rest system for a total of 8 Divine Smites???
    Then @ LvlL 3 hexblade Warlock / LvL 2 Paladin those 6x Warlock Smites using a 2nd LvL slot go UP to 3d8 AND you get 2 Invocations???

    That Has to make it into the Hexblade Multi Class section!.
    Lv3 Warlock is fantastic for all the above reasons plus invocations and being able to use a 2H weapon with CHA attacks via Pact of Blade. The biggest problem is you want it online at early levels for maximum effect but you ALSO want to hit Pal7 or Pal9 as early as possible. It's a very difficult tradeoff choice to make. Easier in some ways for other Paladin Oaths.

    For my current conquest character I'm doing a single dip at Lv2 and then more at Lv11+(if we ever get that far). If you're build isn't too MAD then you can even forgo that dip till Lv8 or Lv10. My character is running 13Str 14Dex so I have to bite the warlock MC bullet early or fall way behind in my attack stat.

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    So I'm looking into multi-classing my current level 3 conquest paladin. Is there more information for the "The Hell Guard: Conquest 9 / Hexblade 4 / Battle Master 7" build? Specifically, is it worth it if the campaign I'm in is expected to end at level 17?

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    McSkrag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgerunner View Post
    So as a LvL 1 Hexblade / LvL 2 Paladin, I can Divine Smite "5" Times????

    IE; Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot= Short rest recharge.
    Divine Smite with Warlock slot and 2 Paladin slots???

    That Can't be Right.
    Yes 5 is correct, assuming you got 2 short rests to recharge your Warlock spell slot.

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    McSkrag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by lostwingman View Post
    So I'm looking into multi-classing my current level 3 conquest paladin. Is there more information for the "The Hell Guard: Conquest 9 / Hexblade 4 / Battle Master 7" build? Specifically, is it worth it if the campaign I'm in is expected to end at level 17?
    It's a solid build. The downside will be it won't "come online" until around level 11 due to the 3 classes.

    My recommendation is to go Paladin to at least level 7 to get your Aura of Protection and Aura of Conquest then take a level of Hexblade. That way your character is fully "online" at level 8 and you can get a feel for how it is going to play the rest of the campaign. After you've played as a 7 / 1, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do next.

    I think you will be better served to go Conquest 16 / Hexblade 1 or Conquest 13 / Hexblade 4 and not take the fighter levels.

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wildarm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by lostwingman View Post
    So I'm looking into multi-classing my current level 3 conquest paladin. Is there more information for the "The Hell Guard: Conquest 9 / Hexblade 4 / Battle Master 7" build? Specifically, is it worth it if the campaign I'm in is expected to end at level 17?
    I'd recommend Conquest 12/Hexblade 5 if you're looking for a Lv17 end point. Getting short rest 3rd level slots from Hexblade 5 and 4 ASIs will give you a lot of flexibility. You can use your Warlock slots to cast Fear at the start of most battles and your Paladin slots for spiritual weapon,smites, etc. ASIs to max CHA. Remaining 2 allow you to pickup warcaster or Res(CON) + whatever other feat you'd like. Overall very solid.

    I'd agree that the battlemaster levels don't add a lot other than some extra burst and board manipulation. You're already fantastic at both of those as a Conquest Pally.
    Last edited by Wildarm; 2018-11-15 at 11:11 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by McSkrag View Post
    It's a solid build. The downside will be it won't "come online" until around level 11 due to the 3 classes.

    My recommendation is to go Paladin to at least level 7 to get your Aura of Protection and Aura of Conquest then take a level of Hexblade. That way your character is fully "online" at level 8 and you can get a feel for how it is going to play the rest of the campaign. After you've played as a 7 / 1, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do next.

    I think you will be better served to go Conquest 16 / Hexblade 1 or Conquest 13 / Hexblade 4 and not take the fighter levels.
    Ah I forgot to mention, I am going GWF. So dipping Hexblade 1 for me doesn't work that well. To give a bit more information, at level 3 my stat spread is 15/11/12/9/9/19. I rolled pretty meh. I'm planning to take Heavy Armor Master at lvl 4 to shore up my survivability and bring my strength to 16. All of the easy dip options are out for me due to GWF.
    Last edited by lostwingman; 2018-11-15 at 01:25 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    McSkrag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by lostwingman View Post
    Ah I forgot to mention, I am going GWF. So dipping Hexblade 1 for me doesn't work that well. To give a bit more information, at level 3 my stat spread is 15/11/12/9/9/19. I rolled pretty meh. I'm planning to take Heavy Armor Master at lvl 4 to shore up my survivability and bring my strength to 16. All of the easy dip options are out for me due to GWF.
    If you take Hexblade to level 3 wth Pact of the Blade you can attack with CHA with any weapon including heavy ones. That also gets you a solid ranged attack with Eldritch Blast (a Paladin weakness) and some spells and invocations.

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Yeah, but three levels is a pretty big delay to conquest features. I mean, you get good features from hexblade, but still.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere in this thread, but would it be reasonable/viable to pick up mounted combatant and hexblade lvl 1 and wield a lance with CHA from horseback? You'd get a lot of movement, advantage on attacks against smaller creatures, you'd have reach and you could use CHA +5 on your attack roles and with Dueling you'd get +7 to dmg rolls? If you were going to be outside a lot of the time it could be very deadly.

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wildarm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by JorshRod View Post
    Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere in this thread, but would it be reasonable/viable to pick up mounted combatant and hexblade lvl 1 and wield a lance with CHA from horseback? You'd get a lot of movement, advantage on attacks against smaller creatures, you'd have reach and you could use CHA +5 on your attack roles and with Dueling you'd get +7 to dmg rolls? If you were going to be outside a lot of the time it could be very deadly.
    Main problem is Lances have disadvantage on foes within 5'. Mounted Combatant helps mitigate this vs small/medium foes. The normal thing to do is to drop the lance and draw your sword. Problem with the hexblade is you can't easily switch weapons as you are bonded to a single weapon(and possibly a 2nd if you took Pact of Blade). Lance is definitely viable but can be awkward especially if you are not mounted. Then you have to two hand the lance. I'd recommend going Pact of the Blade if you're really keen on this to have a backup weapon.

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by McSkrag View Post
    If you take Hexblade to level 3 wth Pact of the Blade you can attack with CHA with any weapon including heavy ones. That also gets you a solid ranged attack with Eldritch Blast (a Paladin weakness) and some spells and invocations.
    I don't see a point of stopping at level 3 on Hexblade. I want to take Paladin to level 13 at least for Find Greater Steed, I just want to majestically ride a Griffin. So from there of what levels are left, if my campaign only goes up to 17 (or even 18), it'd be better to get Hex 4 than Pal 14. Even if the dm stretches it to level 20 though dipping 3 levels into Hex already takes out the expanded aura's and level 5 spells (main reason to level purely paladin) so at that point you'd be looking at if level 15 and 16 in Paladin is better than level 5 and 4 in Hexblade. At that point, I'd seriously consider Conq 15/5 Hex. I'd would rank Eldritch Smite and 3rd level Warlock spell slots worth trading for a feat.

    So at this point I'm very much weighing Conq 20 vs 15/5 Conq/Hex if I can talk the dm to go to 20 and if we stop at 17 then probably 13/4.

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    McSkrag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by lostwingman View Post
    I don't see a point of stopping at level 3 on Hexblade. I want to take Paladin to level 13 at least for Find Greater Steed, I just want to majestically ride a Griffin. So from there of what levels are left, if my campaign only goes up to 17 (or even 18), it'd be better to get Hex 4 than Pal 14. Even if the dm stretches it to level 20 though dipping 3 levels into Hex already takes out the expanded aura's and level 5 spells (main reason to level purely paladin) so at that point you'd be looking at if level 15 and 16 in Paladin is better than level 5 and 4 in Hexblade. At that point, I'd seriously consider Conq 15/5 Hex. I'd would rank Eldritch Smite and 3rd level Warlock spell slots worth trading for a feat.

    So at this point I'm very much weighing Conq 20 vs 15/5 Conq/Hex if I can talk the dm to go to 20 and if we stop at 17 then probably 13/4.
    The general consensus is that Conquest does not have any dead levels to jump off at and multiclass. Every new level they get a strong upgrade all the way to the capstone at 20. So a sword and shield Conquest 20 is going to be very strong. But the capstone only really matters if you are actually going to play at level 20 so you can use it.

    A single level of Hexblade makes your build SAD with a sword+shield, frees up an ASI, and gives you some good versatility at the expense of the level 20 capstone. A Conquest 19/ Hexblade 1 is really good and playable all the way through. There is a detailed write up of this build in the guide.

    A Conquest 15 / Hexblade 5 would also be really good with the 2 3rd level short rest slots you can use to cast fear. But you will be delaying your higher level Paladin features while you level up Hexblade. So your build won't full come online until Paladin 7 / Hexblade 3 when you have your Aura Improvement and can use heavy weapons with your CHA.

    With 15/11/12/9/9/19 stats, I think your 12 CON is a bit low. As a Conquest Paladin you want to be up front to tank with your fear and aura. Using a 2-handed weapon your AC will also be lower and you will take more hits.

    If it were me, I would buy my DM their favorite treat and then while they are eating it I would ask for a minor rebuild to switch from GWF to Dueling or Defense fighting style and switch to a sword+shield set up. That shores up your defense and lets you take a single Hexblade level then Conquest the rest of the way. Take Booming Blade and EB as your cantrips and Warcaster and Sentinel as feats. That gives you a reaction you can use to attack with BB, or cast Shield. You might also consider using an ASI for +1 CHA and +1 CON then taking Resilient: CON to make your CON 14. You also get Find Steed and Find Greater Steed earlier.

    If you are set on using 2-handed weapons, then you want to get to Paladin 7 for your aura then at least Hexblade 3 to use 2-handers with CHA. Then you can either go 2 levels of Paladin or Hexblade to get 3rd level fear spell.

    Just to be clear though, you can't go wrong with any combo of Conquest 7+ / Hexblade X. You just need to think about the trade offs and what is going to be most fun for you to play.

    Hope that helps. :)
    Last edited by McSkrag; 2018-11-23 at 06:54 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    I already tried, the DM is pretty strict and doesn't even allow Varient Human. I think I'll be running full Conquerer, I've got a long way to go before I even think about picking up other levels anyway.

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    So I just hit level 3 and picked Conquest as my DM veto'd treachery. I did this and built my paladin before ever finding this thread. I have read all pages and have a much better understanding now about conquest and how to better off set myself up. I am a Warforged Juggernaut with 20/8/12/11/8/16, I picked up dueling style as I started myself off with sword and board. After going through all of this I am now really tempted to swap to glaive, DM said he would allow change of fighting style now but would have to find/buy a glaive at some point. Would I be better off to just stay the course of sword and board (kind of find most feats lack luster for sword and board) or open up my options with glaives? The chance of me multi-classing is very small as the way I set up my character to be in this homebrew world was already a bit of a reach but I made up a good story and my DM allowed it and has worked in parts of my story to the campaign. We do also have a barb in the party who uses a glaive as well and I don't want to step on his toes either, but the glaive is the only style of pole arm that draws me in.
    Last edited by bam88; 2018-11-28 at 05:25 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2018

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by lostwingman View Post
    I already tried, the DM is pretty strict and doesn't even allow Varient Human.
    And here I thought I was the only one that banned Variant Human.

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

    Quote Originally Posted by bam88 View Post
    So I just hit level 3 and picked Conquest as my DM veto'd treachery. I did this and built my paladin before ever finding this thread. I have read all pages and have a much better understanding now about conquest and how to better off set myself up. I am a Warforged Juggernaut with 20/8/12/11/8/16, I picked up dueling style as I started myself off with sword and board. After going through all of this I am now really tempted to swap to glaive, DM said he would allow change of fighting style now but would have to find/buy a glaive at some point. Would I be better off to just stay the course of sword and board (kind of find most feats lack luster for sword and board) or open up my options with glaives? The chance of me multi-classing is very small as the way I set up my character to be in this homebrew world was already a bit of a reach but I made up a good story and my DM allowed it and has worked in parts of my story to the campaign. We do also have a barb in the party who uses a glaive as well and I don't want to step on his toes either, but the glaive is the only style of pole arm that draws me in.
    Given your slightly sub-par con, I'd be inclined to put extra resources into defense, maybe with defense style, certainly sticking to a shield. Conquest leans tanky/controlly, and in general prefer to use their resources for effects that enhance that rather than damage, and imo more AC complements that better. Though as a warforged your AC is already going to be very solid. That said, the better your AC, the better more AC tends to be.

    But if you want a glaive aesthetically, that's certainly viable. It's not at all a 'bad choice'. It's fun to beat on an immobilized melee target from just outside their reach, and while a sword & board conqueror can do that with a whip, the damage sacrifice there is enough to really start gettting noticeable (though if you stick with dueling a whip can get pretty fierce) If you do go that way, I would /even more/ suggest the defense style, though, since you're already giving up a shield, especially if your GM goes by the ruling that the two handed style doesn't apply to smite dice.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •