New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) IC

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Zaddion turns his attention back to those at the table, looking down at the map. "That is a not insignificant distance from one target to the other."
    Ymhythrharc takes a critical look at the rudimentary map. "It may not be as difficult to slip past the patrols as you would think. Most of the forces of Leng are concentrated where the peninsula of the city reaches the mainland, preventing any of the Aboleth's army from passing into the mainland, so you should be able to pass from here to the Aboleth's death site without any major problems. What we really need to look out for are the flying vampyres and any aquatic troops though, as they can maneuver from place to place without us being able to stop them. Its difficult to count how many of them there area, as they are either very well hidden or underwater, so I am not sure how big of a problem they will pose to be. "
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wickett had retreated to Zaddion's 'quarters', he sat in a circle he'd made with the proper ritual implements around him. He took in a breath and focused, he could think of only one member of his family who'd be willing to help in this situation. The Cat had to borrow a bit of Zaddion's spell casting power but well, the Warlock had already agreed.

"Cousin, trouble on this plane. An Aboleth is leading an invasion through an ancient Vampire need any help you can give. Or any others...bye." Wickett had added the 'bye' if only to use up all the words sending had allowed. He waited a few moments for a reply to come forward.

"That sounds bad, I'll tell a few others. Can't promise they'll come in time though." A moment later the air shimmered and out stepped a cat much larger then Wickett. Where Wickett was a short hair tabby, this cat was grey all over and looked to be about the size of a pitt bull, but was unmistakably a cat.

"Good of you to come Quincy."

"Well I enjoy this world, and the Aboleth's aren't just a danger to the people here are they?"

"Who else did you talk to?"

"I sent a message to my brothers and sisters. They might come if they can rally."

"Good enough come with me."

Wickett would make his way back to the meeting, Quincy following along behind him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Quincy, like Wickett, is named after one my real life cats. This Quincy is also a Maine **** who can grow to rather large sizes.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Wickett had retreated to Zaddion's 'quarters', he sat in a circle he'd made with the proper ritual implements around him. He took in a breath and focused, he could think of only one member of his family who'd be willing to help in this situation. The Cat had to borrow a bit of Zaddion's spell casting power but well, the Warlock had already agreed.

"Cousin, trouble on this plane. An Aboleth is leading an invasion through an ancient Vampire need any help you can give. Or any others...bye." Wickett had added the 'bye' if only to use up all the words sending had allowed. He waited a few moments for a reply to come forward.

"That sounds bad, I'll tell a few others. Can't promise they'll come in time though." A moment later the air shimmered and out stepped a cat much larger then Wickett. Where Wickett was a short hair tabby, this cat was grey all over and looked to be about the size of a pitt bull, but was unmistakably a cat.

"Good of you to come Quincy."

"Well I enjoy this world, and the Aboleth's aren't just a danger to the people here are they?"

"Who else did you talk to?"

"I sent a message to my brothers and sisters. They might come if they can rally."

"Good enough come with me."

Wickett would make his way back to the meeting, Quincy following along behind him.

Show

Quincy, like Wickett, is named after one my real life cats. This Quincy is also a Maine **** who can grow to rather large sizes.

As you are walking back towards the meeting, two more cats decide to join you.

Out from the shadow of one of the warehouses a rather fat snowshoe cat with only one eye materializes and approaches. This is Chleo, and legend has it that she was enucleated and sent into exile from the City State of Celephais for arranging a military coup against a corrupt lord. She is one of Wickett's more distant cousins, and the two of them don't really personally know of each other. She likes her paws contemptously as she arrives and says "You wouldn't believe how boring it is to be in exile, some universe saving should lighten things up. "

A minute or two after that you recognize a pure white Himalayan laying on top of a pile of tent canvas which hasn't yet been set up. He happily prances over to you all rubs his face against Wickett and Quincy. This is wicket's brother, Coconut, who he is pretty sure became a diplomat for Ulthar. In his largely happy tone the himalayan says, "I am not very good at matters of military, but I should be able to garner us some support."

Strangely enough, people find this weird, but not utterly alien. Everybody at the camp has probably seen a talking animal at least once. What an odd crowd wizards and shamans are.
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-12-14 at 11:15 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane's eyes twitch for an instant. As if she doesn't believe what she's seeing -- a strategic meeting to decide the fate of an entire nation has been joined by a group of talking animals.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wickett, upon entering jumped back up onto the table and meowed to get everyone's attention. "Hope I didn't miss anything I did as you asked and contacted who I could." Zaddion looked down at the cat in front of him.

"Felt like you borrowed more then a few spell components." Wickett gave the feline version of a shrug.

"I believe you did say to 'borrow what I needed'." Zaddion sighed and nodded. "Excellent, now I'd like to introduce the others I was able to round up." As Wickett spoke each cat moved forward to introduce themselves.

"Quincy my cousin, he's a large one." Quincy stepped up and bowed, hopping on an unoccupied chair to see the others at around eye level.

"Coconut, one of my brothers. He's one of our diplomats." Coconut hopped up onto the table with Wickett and bumped his head against his brother again.

"A pleasure to meet you all."

"And last but certainly not least is Chleo. Another cousin, she has a keen mind I'll let her speak for herself on her other qualifications." Chleo hopped up next to Wickett opposite Coconut. She nodded in greeting but stayed silent for now.

"We are the Cats of Ulthar and we are here to help."

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

As the cats pass
    slowly sits down on the floor and extends a hand palm up.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zaladane's eyes twitch for an instant. As if she doesn't believe what she's seeing -- a strategic meeting to decide the fate of an entire nation has been joined by a group of talking animals.
    It appears that Zaladane is the only one who is shocked by this. Obed, Mhithle, Eshiraith, Ymhythrharc and you presume Banrignamara originated from the Dreamlands so they probably have seen many of these before. Ultharian Cats are very popular familiars, so of course the archwizard Theophilus would be familiar with them. Kialja probably lives with talking animals and interacts with them on a daily basis. In the rest of the world this would like reality decided to give up, but with your current company this is probably one of the least weird things they have seen.

Wickett, upon entering jumped back up onto the table and meowed to get everyone's attention. "Hope I didn't miss anything I did as you asked and contacted who I could." Zaddion looked down at the cat in front of him.

"Felt like you borrowed more then a few spell components." Wickett gave the feline version of a shrug.

"I believe you did say to 'borrow what I needed'." Zaddion sighed and nodded. "Excellent, now I'd like to introduce the others I was able to round up." As Wickett spoke each cat moved forward to introduce themselves.

"Quincy my cousin, he's a large one." Quincy stepped up and bowed, hopping on an unoccupied chair to see the others at around eye level.

"Coconut, one of my brothers. He's one of our diplomats." Coconut hopped up onto the table with Wickett and bumped his head against his brother again.

"A pleasure to meet you all."

"And last but certainly not least is Chleo. Another cousin, she has a keen mind I'll let her speak for herself on her other qualifications." Chleo hopped up next to Wickett opposite Coconut. She nodded in greeting but stayed silent for now.

"We are the Cats of Ulthar and we are here to help."
    Everybody says their greetings to the cats politely but briefly, but it still takes a handful of minutes given the amount of people here. The only thing that is odd is Mhithle regards Chleo with a gesture that you have never seen before that resembles a bow and actually says more than just a greeting to her.

“Sorry about the incident at the Siege of Oriab. I was under orders to fight against the rebels, and even if those orders were from a madman, I had to follow them.”

Chleo regards her cooly and speaks in a crisp voice that is somehow still clear despite having the inflection you would expect from a cat. “I understand very well how war works and hold no grudge against you specifically. Not yet at least.”

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    As the cats pass
    slowly sits down on the floor and extends a hand palm up.
    Coconut goes up to your hand and gladly enjoys the experience of being pet, but the others are a little a less likely to step forward. Chleo looks at you like you just insulted her and she was contemplating arranging a duel. Quincy is much mellower but still refuses to go up and states why

“It’s considered in bad taste to for a Cat of Ulthar to except being pet during a meeting. It doesn’t make us seem very respectable... Coconut doesn’t seem to care about that though. Egads, how did you ever become a diplomat?”

Coconut responds distractedly, clearly focusing more on Diggory than him. “I am good at getting people to like me. ”
    -

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Now that the Cats are here, perhaps we can finalize our plans to resurrect an ancient creature to stop it's Vampire ally and army of extra-dimensional mind linked soldiers." Being Zaddion wasn't easy, but some days you get to say things like that and it makes it all worth while.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Now that the Cats are here, perhaps we can finalize our plans to resurrect an ancient creature to stop it's Vampire ally and army of extra-dimensional mind linked soldiers." Being Zaddion wasn't easy, but some days you get to say things like that and it makes it all worth while.
    You get a faint chuckle from some unknown person in the room, and a few grins, but not much more reaction than that.

Banrignamara carefully watches over the room, and after what must be close to a full minute of silence she finally speaks up. "It seems like we have a fully fleshed out plan, but before we vote on it less us review the details. The Aboleth died on a cliff about 20-30 acres away from castle Banrignamara that is just within seeing view on a clear day. The priests of Dagon, the six adventurers, 1,000 native soldiers and their 1,000 dinosaur mounts, 750 mages, 110 greater devils and 50 type four and and above greater demons shall march out to this location at night. Everyboyd shall try to hide from the view of Castle Banrignamara as best as they can. The priests of Dagon will do a ritual to force the Aboleth's ghost to manifest, and all of the remaining troops shall fight and defeat the Aboleth. In case we are recognized before the ritual is complete, Zaddion and a couple of the Deep One priests should go to any patrolling Deep Ones and report that the priests are simply casting a spell to defend the area. This isn't full proof, so the odds are great that the Aboleth's army shall attack and the forces there must defend themselves. Hopefully though the Viakkurahd will not have enough time to put the full force of his army into attacking, so we will not bear the full brunt of their forces."

"Once the Aboleth has been killed, the Deep Ones and aberrations will lose their telepathic abilities and become disorganized and demoralized. After that all the remaining forces, including myself, 3,300 Nantharanak guerrillas, 3,000 tiefling infantry, 375 lesser devils, 40 greater devils, 175 type 1-3 demons, and 20 type 4-6 demons, and 750 mages are going charge the town. We hope that under these hopeless odds the remaining Deep Ones would surrender."

"Our new guests, Quincy, Cleo and Coconut, what can you do? "

Coconut speaks first "If the Aboleth's forces do detect the ritual and decide to attack it prematurely, we could summon the remaining cats of Ulthar to gather in a swarm and attack. The surprise attack should at least keep them at bay for a while." Cleo nods solemnly and Quincy doesn't give a response.

Banrignamara then scans the whole room and says, "is there anything else anyone wants to add to the plan before we vote on it?"

If your characters want to change anything before voting begins, do so soon.
    -

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Silence settles over the room for what must be a full minute as no one says anything. Everybody restrains themselves from performing a nervous habit, so for the duration no noise can be heard. It seems as if things are frozen in time before Banrignamara snaps it back into place with her booming demand.

"This shall be the final version of the plan then. All who wish to see Zaddion's strategy implemented, raise your hand and say aye. "

Unless two or more PCs vote against the plan, then it shall occur. The voting period ends in...

Last edited by Requilac; 2019-01-01 at 01:29 PM.
    -

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

"If Zaddion says there's hope in the plan, then lets try"
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion raised his hand. "I figure this goes without saying, but aye."

Quincy raised his paw, "Aye."

Cleo, "Aye."

Coconut, "Aye."

Wickett, "Meow."

The other cats all turned their heads to look at him, Wickett smirked and gave a shrug.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Affirmative," Zaladane says, as she eyes both Theophilus and Banrignamara in turn.
    Now Playing

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Kialja: "Aye, this plan is much better than burning down the whole forest, and seems to carry little collateral damage."

Ymhythrharc: "Nay, I still think we should go through with the assassination plot."

Mhithle: "Aye, defeating the Aboleth should be our top priority."

Eshiraith: "Nay, there are too many chances that the summoning ritual could get detected too early. "

Obed Marsh: "Aye" (he says nothing else).

The vote then finally turns to Theophilus and Banrignamara, who share a glance.

Theophilus: "Nay, our forces are much too seperated for this to be an efficient use of our troops."

Banrignamara scans the crowd and clears her throat before making her opinion in a booming voice that carries throught he whole chamber. "Aye, any other plan shall carry an equal amount of hardship." She then bangs a gavel, which you swear she didn't have a second ago, on the table, rippling out an earthquake of tension.

"And upon a vote of the war Council of Camp Defiance, held by the wisest generals from threefold armies, with a bare majority of 7/12, ... My bad, now that the Cats of Ulthar are here a majority of... I think 10/16. I can't tell what Wicket's vote was meant to be, so it could be 11/16. Regardless, the majority has chosen that Plan Zaddion shall be launched by this break of nightfall, at the sound of the 10th bell. We have very little time to loose. If you have any preparations, do them now. I now adjourn this council. "

All of the others sit up and bow to each other, and you do the same. They all depart in an orderly manner, with Kialja first, followed by Ymhythrharc, Mhithle, Eshiraith, Marsh, Theophilus and Banrignamara. Interestingly, this is the same sequence in which they voted and very similar to how they first announced themselves. It must have been preplanned to be that way. You too exit from the oppressive chamber into the light of day and are nearly blinded. It is about two hours after noon, meaning that there are eight hours left until you must depart.

If you all have anything you want your characters to do to prepare for the upcoming departure to the Aboleth's death site, do so before the clock runs out.

-

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane immediately searches out the Archmage for an explanation about his cryptic words earlier in the morning regarding Empress Banrignamara.
    Now Playing

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zaladane immediately searches out the Archmage for an explanation about his cryptic words earlier in the morning regarding Empress Banrignamara.
    Theophilus has retreated back to his tower to do some final studies on the unknown creature which you had seen him dissecting when you first arrived in the camp, and that is the first place you check. No one impedes you on your way there. Once you open the door, he immediately stops what he is doing. Once you pose your question and then goes pale as he clutches his head, his voice only delivering a crack.

"Look, Zaladane, Banrignamara told you not to tell you about this unless she was dead or missing for more than a year. It goes against my promise that I made her to tell you this. But seeing as how we are about to both enter positions which could very easily be fatal, and that this could be important, I suppose that I could inform you."

He sighs before continuing. "Do you recall how Banrignamara defeated the Royal army of Braughlmark at Ebonook? She flooded the whole town with a tsunami, drowning the army with it. Creating tsunamis like that is a very useful power, isn't it? Haven't you ever wondered why she didn't use that trick again? And most importantly, why she is not using that power now to wash away Viakkurahd? It is because that tsunami was not made by her, but rather she made a deal with an... otherworldly being to make it occur."

"The creature she made a deal with is a... umm, a... a fiend, a Demonlord... its name is Maelstrom. A Yithian mediated the deal between between Banrignamara and Maelstrom. The Yithian claimed that it would come to Banrignamara again in the future, acting on behalf of Maelstrom, to demand "repayment" for the favor Maelstrom granted her. "

"That Yithian's name was Ymhythrharc, and he's arrived to see Banrignamara again as you just saw. Banrignamara still has yet to fulfill her end of the deal."
    -

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion was rather drained after the whole experience. He waited for the others to file out before leaving. The Cats of ulthar all seemed to follow him at first perhaps wondering what he was going to get up to. He was contemplating simply returning to his quarters, when he remembered his oath. This was a camp full of soldiers, warriors, all of whom were about to put their lives on the line. His mind snapped back to this morning and his oath rang in his mind.

I will BE THE LIGHT my joy and courage will shine forth a beacon to all those...to all those like me who live in despair.

He made an abrupt turn and headed towards the largest collection of Soldiers. He wanted to see how their spirits were holding up, if needed he hoped he could find the words to give them some hope back.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Theophilus has retreated back to his tower to do some final studies on the unknown creature which you had seen him dissecting when you first arrived in the camp, and that is the first place you check. No one impedes you on your way there. Once you open the door, he immediately stops what he is doing. Once you pose your question and then goes pale as he clutches his head, his voice only delivering a crack.

"Look, Zaladane, Banrignamara told you not to tell you about this unless she was dead or missing for more than a year. It goes against my promise that I made her to tell you this. But seeing as how we are about to both enter positions which could very easily be fatal, and that this could be important, I suppose that I could inform you."

He sighs before continuing. "Do you recall how Banrignamara defeated the Royal army of Braughlmark at Ebonook? She flooded the whole town with a tsunami, drowning the army with it. Creating tsunamis like that is a very useful power, isn't it? Haven't you ever wondered why she didn't use that trick again? And most importantly, why she is not using that power now to wash away Viakkurahd? It is because that tsunami was not made by her, but rather she made a deal with an... otherworldly being to make it occur."

"The creature she made a deal with is a... umm, a... a fiend, a Demonlord... its name is Maelstrom. A Yithian mediated the deal between between Banrignamara and Maelstrom. The Yithian claimed that it would come to Banrignamara again in the future, acting on behalf of Maelstrom, to demand "repayment" for the favor Maelstrom granted her. "

"That Yithian's name was Ymhythrharc, and he's arrived to see Banrignamara again as you just saw. Banrignamara still has yet to fulfill her end of the deal."
    Zaladane slowly digests the ramnifications.

"Phil," she says softly, almost in whisper, "do you have any inkling as to what is being demanded of the Empress?"

And then in a more curt tone, she adds as an afterthought. "And if the Empress was so oath-bound, why on earth did you get permission from me to allow Ymhythrharc to attend the meeting? Was it all a charade for my benefit?"

"Also, are you certain we cannot replicate the tsunami? I know for a fact that Breen is capable of casting Tidal Wave. If we have enough mages fueling the spell, would we not be able to replicate what occurred centuries ago?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2019-01-04 at 10:51 PM.
    Now Playing

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zaddion was rather drained after the whole experience. He waited for the others to file out before leaving. The Cats of ulthar all seemed to follow him at first perhaps wondering what he was going to get up to. He was contemplating simply returning to his quarters, when he remembered his oath. This was a camp full of soldiers, warriors, all of whom were about to put their lives on the line. His mind snapped back to this morning and his oath rang in his mind.

I will BE THE LIGHT my joy and courage will shine forth a beacon to all those...to all those like me who live in despair.

He made an abrupt turn and headed towards the largest collection of Soldiers. He wanted to see how their spirits were holding up, if needed he hoped he could find the words to give them some hope back.
    As you were walking back, you couldn't help but recognize that a group of Nantharanak Deep Ones have been congregating on the shore at inlet. Although they have all their weapons on them, they don't appear to be preparing for a strike. Eventually you noticed that someone had to have been giving a speech, presumably Mhithle. As you approach this area you come pretty much right at the end of her speech, but are distracted by what appears to be a heated argument between Ryrysha, the other tiefling you saved from the Toad Things/Moon Beasts, and Eshiraith.

Ryrysha: "Eshiraith, the tiefling soldiers are beginning to protest in masses, and we have already had a couple hundred people try to desert. They don't want to fight to risk their lives in this battle, they don't think it is going to help them. They are claiming that the Aboleth's death will not actually do anything to aid them in gaining freedom in Leng. They also claim that they are being lied to, because you promised them that the Nantharak was formed to fight Nyarlathotep, but instead we are allying with him. They have been enraged with our involvement in the Material ever since the beginning, and now they are downright rebellious with us. They are pissed with us Eshiraith, if we don't do something soon we will not have an army.

Eshiraith: "Have you told them about the points I made before? About how if the Aboleth's forces are allowed to succeed on the Material Plane that they will invade the places we live? What about how that we promised the Deep Ones that we would help them, and betraying them now would replace one of our best allies with a possibly permanent enemy? And did you tell them that fighting here could give us a permanent safe haven on the Material Plane?"

Ryrysha: "I wanted to, but they just rebutt everything I say with more accusations and insults. They are senseless to reasoning and damn close to becoming a mob."

Eshiraith puts his palms over his face and sighs. Only then he notices you arriving. "Zaddion, hello. You mentioned at the meeting that you were a paladin, right? Paladins tend to be leaders, right? Do you think you could talk to the tiefling soldiers and convince them to stay here and fight. If we don't do something quick, then by the time the fight begins we will have no army to work with!"

Zaladane slowly digests the ramnifications.

"Phil," she says softly, almost in whisper, "do you have any inkling as to what is being demanded of the Empress?"

And then in a more curt tone, she adds as an afterthought. "And if the Empress was so oath-bound, why on earth did you get permission from me to allow Ymhythrharc to attend the meeting? Was it all a charade for my benefit?"

"Also, are you certain we cannot replicate the tsunami? I know for a fact that Breen is capable of casting Tidal Wave. If we have enough mages fueling the spell, would we not be able to replicate what occurred centuries ago?"
    Theophilus paces around in stress as you continue, but he otherwise manages to contain himself fairly well. "We wanted to ask you if we should let him in because I wanted to verify that this karl was truly Ymhythrharc. You never mentioned to me in person that Karl was actually the Yithian, and only sent a letter. Mail is too easily tampered with, so I wanted to make certain that I was receiving accurate information.. If I knew that Karl was being possessed by Ymhythrahrc already then I wouldn't have asked you. "

"As for what Maelstrom and the Yithian may want from the Empress, I don't have the slightest clue. I wish I did, but I unfortunately do not."

When you mention the tsunami idea, he pauses to think, but shakes his head in frustration. "That idea is certainly an intriguing one, but sadly not practicable, at least without many other provisions. The waves created by Tidal Wave are much smaller than those of a real tsunami. And the fact that they generate water instead of pushing pre-existing means that they can't quite receive the same force. In fact, they can only get 10 ft high, which is hardly tall enough to penetrate the battlements. That and the range on Tidal Wave is only 120 ft., which means that the mages would have to get dangerously close to to the castle. And the waves from Tidal Wave deal much less damage than a real tsunami would. Dispersing the waves all across the castle's area would probably only kill the weaker enemies and frustrate of the stronger ones. I will certainly tell the other mages to implement that plan when pushing enemies of the cliff at the Aboleth's Peninsula though. "
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-01-05 at 09:41 PM.
    -

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I shall leave it to you to devise a means to weaponize it then," Zaladane says as she sweeps out of the room. Her next destination? Empress Banrignamara's chambers, as she seeks a personal audience with the dragon.
    Now Playing

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As you were walking back, you couldn't help but recognize that a group of Nantharanak Deep Ones have been congregating on the shore at inlet. Although they have all their weapons on them, they don't appear to be preparing for a strike. Eventually you noticed that someone had to have been giving a speech, presumably Mhithle. As you approach this area you come pretty much right at the end of her speech, but are distracted by what appears to be a heated argument between Ryrysha, the other tiefling you saved from the Toad Things/Moon Beasts, and Eshiraith.

Ryrysha: "Eshiraith, the tiefling soldiers are beginning to protest in masses, and we have already had a couple hundred people try to desert. They don't want to fight to risk their lives in this battle, they don't think it is going to help them. They are claiming that the Aboleth's death will not actually do anything to aid them in gaining freedom in Leng. They also claim that they are being lied to, because you promised them that the Nantharak was formed to fight Nyarlathotep, but instead we are allying with him. They have been enraged with our involvement in the Material ever since the beginning, and now they are downright rebellious with us. They are pissed with us Eshiraith, if we don't do something soon we will not have an army.

Eshiraith: "Have you told them about the points I made before? About how if the Aboleth's forces are allowed to succeed on the Material Plane that they will invade the places we live? What about how that we promised the Deep Ones that we would help them, and betraying them now would replace one of our best allies with a possibly permanent enemy? And did you tell them that fighting here could give us a permanent safe haven on the Material Plane?"

Ryrysha: "I wanted to, but they just rebutt everything I say with more accusations and insults. They are senseless to reasoning and damn close to becoming a mob."

Eshiraith puts his palms over his face and sighs. Only then he notices you arriving. "Zaddion, hello. You mentioned at the meeting that you were a paladin, right? Paladins tend to be leaders, right? Do you think you could talk to the tiefling soldiers and convince them to stay here and fight. If we don't do something quick, then by the time the fight begins we will have no army to work with!"
    Zaddion nodded, "I'll do what I can to soothe their anger, their are things about Leng I do not yet understand. But...from what I can gather I can see why working with the people they want to overthrow has them riled up." Truth be told it was making a certain Warlock turned Paladin's blood boil too. "Lead the way and let's see what we can do."
    Last edited by Seanfall; 2019-01-06 at 02:16 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"I shall leave it to you to devise a means to weaponize it then," Zaladane says as she sweeps out of the room. Her next destination? Empress Banrignamara's chambers, as she seeks a personal audience with the dragon.
    Theophilus is so used to maneuvers like that from you at this point that he probably doesn't even sigh.

When you go to Banrignamara's tent, the guards there immediately stop you from entering. You demand to have an audience with her and state your name and position, but they simply say that she is out. After a few more seconds of arguing, a middle aged wizard in a red robe, signifying their school specialty as evocation, comes up to you and clears her throat at you. She tells you that she has something important to say and takes you beside one of the nearest tents. "Psst, Zaladane, I am Banrignamara and I am in disguise right now. I am reading Theophilus' report on the powers off Viakkurahd right now, so what you need from me better be important."

This is another one of Banrignamara's forms which you are familiar with which she uses when she wants to look like a normal wizard. She rarely ever uses it, but in this case it seems like she went with it.

Zaddion nodded, "I'll do what I can to soothe their anger, their are things about Leng I do not yet understand. But...from what I can gather I can see why working with the people they want to overthrow has them riled up." Truth be told it was making a certain Warlock turned Paladin's blood boil too. "Lead the way and let's see what we can do."
    Eshiraith and Ryrysha give you profuse thanks for helping them as they lead you to the tiefling camp. When you get there it is a total mess. Slightly less than half the camp aren't at their stations, a quarter of the people are simply slacking off and doing irrelevant activities, you are fairly certain that at 1/5 of the people here are drunk, and you come in right at the end of a small fight where people have to drag the combatants away. When they see you all approach, you can see at least ten different people preparing objects (mostly nonlethal) to throw at either of you.

Ryrysha: Once again, we can't thank you enough for doing this. If you are going to deliver your speech, I would advise you to do it now before they start getting violent.
    -

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Empress, forgive me for prying, but Theophilus could never keep any secrets from me as you know. And I will not be able to focus until I know. So I will be brief: what payment does Ymhythrharc want from you, on behalf of Maelstrom?"
    Now Playing

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion...sighs. Really what else did you expect him to do at this point, boldly and without fear he steps into the camp either ignoring those who look like their about to throw painful implements at him or unafraid of those same said people. He takes a breath and steady's himself before he speaks.

"So! I hear a lot of you want to run, turn their backs on this fight and leave. To be honest...I don't blame you," Zaddion turns to his side locking eyes with those to his left and right. "I mean fighting an Aboleth and an ancient Vampire, If I was a sane man I'd probably be half way to the other side of the world right now. Thankfully I'm quite insane so here I stand." Zaddion smiles now chuckling a little at the non-joke he just made.

"And you know what it was that made me insane? What drove me to that point? My Failure." His smile disappears. "I WAS THERE! Ask Mithele she can tell you what happened to my home. What these beasts we now face did to it and the people there. I understand that you don't want to fight next to Leng. I can't imagine what life must have been like under their control, but you can still fight back. You can still chose who you are and help your people." Zaddion walks deeper into the camp.

"The Aboleth does not allow such luxury. If the chains around your neck and wrists where heavy, imagine them on your mind. A constant presence." His eyes flicker for a moment and he broadcasts through his mind to all those near him.

"Imagine a voice constantly in your heads, tearing at who you are and replacing it with itself. Imagine you doubting if your even real and not just an extension of something else's will."

"Because that is the hell that awaits us should we falter here. Not just this Island, not just Leng, but quite possibly everyone well beyond our borders. This does not excuse the crimes of Leng. My blood boils when I think that we align ourselves with creatures who think nothing of enslaving living beings." Zaddion softens his voice. "But running won't solve anything. We will win the day, If I must beat the Aboleth and it's pet Vampire to death with rocks to see it happen I shall. But we cannot win without help, help from people like you. When tales of this day are sung what will they say about you? Will they say that you ran and let the very people you seek to free die and suffer in your stead? Or will they say that the Free peoples of Leng stood and fought against this rising darkness and denied it it's victory? From this fight a thousand sparks shall fill the sky people far and wide will hear of Leng and the crimes that must be stopped. This is not the time to give in, it is a time to stand up and fight and prove to the world that you are not what they made you. You are not monsters or mindless serfs." You are not mad men fearing the dark. "You are warriors, you are soldiers, and medics and...AND PEOPLE GODDAMNIT! And when the time comes to set Leng free of it's Oppressors I swear to you on my blood, on my blade on my very soul. That I shall stand with you. Will you stand with me today?"

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"Empress, forgive me for prying, but Theophilus could never keep any secrets from me as you know. And I will not be able to focus until I know. So I will be brief: what payment does Ymhythrharc want from you, on behalf of Maelstrom?"
    Banrignamara sighs upon this and it takes her nearly a minute to stop facepalming and actually respond. "I should have known that he would eventually tell you. Alright, I will tell you want Ymhythrharc asked of me, though I doubt you will understand it, and I personally don't understand it. When I first made the deal it was originally meant that I would pay it back in the future in some way that would be specified in the future. Now of course, there would be severe limits on what they would ask on me, a 60 page contract full of things barring what they could ask of me actually, but The price that Ymhythrharc asked for was well within the limits... freakishly so, actually."

:Ymhythrharc's only demand was that I could not help any of the tieflings settle here if we win the battle. Hostility is not required, but not even the smallest amount of aid can be given. I suppose that creating one tsunami isn't exactly a massive favor that warrants an immense price, but even this seems underwhelming. I don't quite know what Maelstrom would gain from this arrangement that prompted such a thing. "

Zaddion...sighs. Really what else did you expect him to do at this point, boldly and without fear he steps into the camp either ignoring those who look like their about to throw painful implements at him or unafraid of those same said people. He takes a breath and steady's himself before he speaks.

"So! I hear a lot of you want to run, turn their backs on this fight and leave. To be honest...I don't blame you," Zaddion turns to his side locking eyes with those to his left and right. "I mean fighting an Aboleth and an ancient Vampire, If I was a sane man I'd probably be half way to the other side of the world right now. Thankfully I'm quite insane so here I stand." Zaddion smiles now chuckling a little at the non-joke he just made.

"And you know what it was that made me insane? What drove me to that point? My Failure." His smile disappears. "I WAS THERE! Ask Mithele she can tell you what happened to my home. What these beasts we now face did to it and the people there. I understand that you don't want to fight next to Leng. I can't imagine what life must have been like under their control, but you can still fight back. You can still chose who you are and help your people." Zaddion walks deeper into the camp.

"The Aboleth does not allow such luxury. If the chains around your neck and wrists where heavy, imagine them on your mind. A constant presence." His eyes flicker for a moment and he broadcasts through his mind to all those near him.

"Imagine a voice constantly in your heads, tearing at who you are and replacing it with itself. Imagine you doubting if your even real and not just an extension of something else's will."

"Because that is the hell that awaits us should we falter here. Not just this Island, not just Leng, but quite possibly everyone well beyond our borders. This does not excuse the crimes of Leng. My blood boils when I think that we align ourselves with creatures who think nothing of enslaving living beings." Zaddion softens his voice. "But running won't solve anything. We will win the day, If I must beat the Aboleth and it's pet Vampire to death with rocks to see it happen I shall. But we cannot win without help, help from people like you. When tales of this day are sung what will they say about you? Will they say that you ran and let the very people you seek to free die and suffer in your stead? Or will they say that the Free peoples of Leng stood and fought against this rising darkness and denied it it's victory? From this fight a thousand sparks shall fill the sky people far and wide will hear of Leng and the crimes that must be stopped. This is not the time to give in, it is a time to stand up and fight and prove to the world that you are not what they made you. You are not monsters or mindless serfs." You are not mad men fearing the dark. "You are warriors, you are soldiers, and medics and...AND PEOPLE GODDAMNIT! And when the time comes to set Leng free of it's Oppressors I swear to you on my blood, on my blade on my very soul. That I shall stand with you. Will you stand with me today?"
    A great many of the crowd are actually surprised at what you said. They were probably expecting more of Eshiraith's talk of legal responsibilities and political philosophy, or Ryrysha's "speech" which most likely would consist mostly of her mocking of them for their cowardice. But what was said really resonated with their desire for freedom, fear of enslavement, and sense of needed pride. The quote about chains on the mind seemed to especially quiet them down.

No ones throws anything at you, and no one seems to insult you or shout during the speech. At the end most of them are simply rendered unable to speak. A few people applaud you, but it dies out shortly after the people that started it realize no one else is going along. You don't exactly have them praising you with thunderous aplomb, but you certainly made them ashamed and quieted. Many of the people sitting back rise to return to their huts and prepare the equipment in silence, indicating that you convinced them but they aren't yet ready to admit it. The effect is essentially what you wanted, it just was much less dramatic then you expected.
    -

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion took in a breath and walked back to the two who lead them here. "They'll fight, but..." Zaddion turned around and watched all the people behind him silently prepare for battle. "...This war will be hard on them. On us all..." The Warlock sighed and turned back to Eshiraith and Ryrysha. "I meant what I said, should I survive this conflict I will be glad to aid you in freeing your people."

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Banrignamara sighs upon this and it takes her nearly a minute to stop facepalming and actually respond. "I should have known that he would eventually tell you. Alright, I will tell you want Ymhythrharc asked of me, though I doubt you will understand it, and I personally don't understand it. When I first made the deal it was originally meant that I would pay it back in the future in some way that would be specified in the future. Now of course, there would be severe limits on what they would ask on me, a 60 page contract full of things barring what they could ask of me actually, but The price that Ymhythrharc asked for was well within the limits... freakishly so, actually."

:Ymhythrharc's only demand was that I could not help any of the tieflings settle here if we win the battle. Hostility is not required, but not even the smallest amount of aid can be given. I suppose that creating one tsunami isn't exactly a massive favor that warrants an immense price, but even this seems underwhelming. I don't quite know what Maelstrom would gain from this arrangement that prompted such a thing. "
    The look of relief is visible on Zaladane's face.

"Thank you, your highness, for assuaging me of my concerns. If I were to understand it, the agreement prohibits you, Empress Banrignamara, from providing aid? Your subjects, therefore, are free to provide as much aid as they desire?"

Show
    I don't have other plans after this, other than to go claim the tin-foil hats for protection against the Aboleth.
    Now Playing

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zaddion took in a breath and walked back to the two who lead them here. "They'll fight, but..." Zaddion turned around and watched all the people behind him silently prepare for battle. "...This war will be hard on them. On us all..." The Warlock sighed and turned back to Eshiraith and Ryrysha. "I meant what I said, should I survive this conflict I will be glad to aid you in freeing your people."
    Ryrysha is clapping with a massive smile on her face, and Eshiraith seems actually immensely surprised by this turn of events. As he is left quieted Ryrsha responds before him. "I never thought we would get through to them. Thank you for restoring the morale of our army, it was very crucial to our success. If you get out of this alive, we should contact you in the future when we need to make speeches."

Eshiraith takes a while, but he eventually speaks up. "I can't thank you enough for this. You have helped us more than enough. I urge you to focus on preparing yourself now, you are going to need it far more than us."

The look of relief is visible on Zaladane's face.

"Thank you, your highness, for assuaging me of my concerns. If I were to understand it, the agreement prohibits you, Empress Banrignamara, from providing aid? Your subjects, therefore, are free to provide as much aid as they desire?"

Show
    I don't have other plans after this, other than to go claim the tin-foil hats for protection against the Aboleth.
    Banrignamara sighs and waves her hand dismissively. "You are not quite right. I cannot also use any of my resources, organizations or assets to assist the tielfings settle. My subjects could indeed help them, but they would not be able to use any of the money, magical aid or officials at my disposal. Seeing as how everybody's property was destroyed though, no one has enough of their own resources to really significantly aid the tieflings. I am sure that they may be able to help with some menial labor, but its not as if any of my citizens could engage in philanthropy on them."
    -

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ryrysha is clapping with a massive smile on her face, and Eshiraith seems actually immensely surprised by this turn of events. As he is left quieted Ryrsha responds before him. "I never thought we would get through to them. Thank you for restoring the morale of our army, it was very crucial to our success. If you get out of this alive, we should contact you in the future when we need to make speeches."

Eshiraith takes a while, but he eventually speaks up. "I can't thank you enough for this. You have helped us more than enough. I urge you to focus on preparing yourself now, you are going to need it far more than us."
    "I simply said what I believed." Zaddion nods and gives them a quick bow. "I will, thank you. Take care I hope to see you again when this war has finally met it's end." Zaddion made his way back to his quarters, Wickett popped up aside him.

Worried about the coming battle? He heard his familiars voice in his mind.

Yes.

Well, if you do die. It's been a good time at your side. I and the other Cats of Ulthur will do what we can.

Thank you for being at my side all this time.

The rest of their short journey was in silence before returning to his quarters Zaddion made a stop to acquire some armor. He would no longer need to armor himself in shadows. In his quarters Zaddion prepared, he burned incense to calm and steady his mind. He began strapping on his armor, the padding the chain mail, the plate. As he did he focused on himself and saw the cursed darkness and the blessed light within him. He wanted to draw upon the light now...but he knew he would the power the madness within him offered...at least one last time. He felt the shadows around him undulate as he let slip his ability to armor himself with shadows instead in the darkness of the room he vanished entirely.

A little while later he exited his quarters his armor didn't gleam in the sunlight it grey, patched over and repaired from many battles. But still their was a little shine left in it just enough for one to hope.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Zaddion is ready for battle. I'm dropping armor of shadows for One with the Shadows. Since I do have Devil's sight and the Darkness spell. and taking Grasp of Hadar.

Drop darkness -> Grasp foes into darkness -> ??? -> Profit.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As preparations are made everybody in the different camps tries to be stealthy as possible, making it seem like nothing the ordinary is going on. If you didn't know any better, you probably wouldn't even notice that such grand plans are being hatched. This is fortunate too, because you wouldn't want the enemies knowing about your plan. The tension though in the air cannot be felt once you all realize that the sun is diving down into the ocean.

Night has come, and it is now time to set off. Later in the night the whole army shall set off, but for now only the people guarding the exorcist procession will be leaving. The main source of attention is of course on the priests of Dagon who slip lithely from rock to rock with practiced grace. Many other packs of small raptor-like dinosaurs are also stalking from cover to cover whilst being led by their equally as cunning riders. The mages on the other hand seem to be having far more of a struggle with this treacherous terrain, but they are quiet enough. You can occasionally see the silhouette of one of the few demons as you push off: the shape of a pig-like humanoid moving with silence that is paradoxical given their size, humans with serpent bodies slithering along, horribly gaunt figures with cloven feet and horns, superficially normal humans that are somehow dead silent despite wearing plate armor, and insectoid like creatures which you almost mistaken for vampyres.

From behind the rocks you crawl closer and closer to your destination; the fateful location where the Ancient Aboleth had died so many eons ago. Soon you move past the beach onto the peninsula of bleak gray stone where the cliffs look down upon the mysterious depths below. The stars shine down on you from above as you walk, revealing you the pathway towards where your destinies shall be revealed. Eventually you reach an incline that moves rapidly up and must essentially climb your way there while trying to be as silent as possible. Suddenly everybody in front of you stops moving and in a sort a wave effect the whole crowd stops.

Spoiler: Imagery
    Show

The 50 priests of Dagon move gather in a circle around a specific point on the cliff, and everybody backs away from them. They start chanting so quietly that even you can't hear them. Almost everybody takes cover behind one of the many large rocks and you sit there in solitude, like a swarm of bats waiting to ambush upon a swarm of insects. The commanders still must move about and whisper orders though.

Kialja quietly approaches you and as he does he so takes out some bottles of a strange purple liquid from from his satchel. "I don't think we will be quick enough to heal any of you in battle if it is needed. Each of you take one of these potions, and in case any of you are exhausted drink one and it should restore some of your abilities. Drinking it is the equivalency of getting about an hour's worth of rest. We have a very limited supply, so we can't give you anymore, so I will suggest that you only use them if you need to."

You all each gain one Potion of Vitality, which gives you the benefits from a short rest when you take an action to drink it. For balance reasons, these potions cannot be administered or given to any other player.

He then continues, "It doesn't seem like the enemy has noticed us, but I can't guarantee things will stay like that. Everybody here is going to need to scout a piece of land to make sure we aren't spotted. If you see any enemy scouts, assassinate them as quickly as possible, preferably at range, so that they cannot report back. There is an 8 by 8 ft. of land overlooking the lower parts of the stone beach, and we need you to occupy that position."

Please position your characters on the map (when it gets uploaded) and prepare them to assassinate scouts that they can see from the cliff 50 ft. below. An encounter shall begin in... (an unspecified amount of time).
    Last edited by Requilac; 2019-01-14 at 08:48 PM.
    -