Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) IC

Lily points to her rapier on her hip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane tunes out all the distraction for a moment, in favor of concentrating on receiving a psychic transmission from her sensor. What does she see?
    Now Playing:

Zaladane (Human Avatar Mystic 6): IC | OOC | PNG | Map
    Zara Gathergourd (Halfling Druid 3) | IC | OOC | PNG | Map
    Zemzelett Gemblossom (Half-Elf Lore Bard 3): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu Greycastle (Variant Human Mystic 5): IC | OOC | PNG

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Lily points to her rapier on her hip.
    Carl doesn't seem to notice that you are doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zaladane tunes out all the distraction for a moment, in favor of concentrating on receiving a psychic transmission from her sensor. What does she see?
    The boats used to be further out in the ocean, but you can now see that they are venturing closer to shore. Almost all of them are made out of the same materiel; varying degrees of blubber and purple chitin. On top of them you can clearly see several moon-beasts. Some are even so close that you can see shackled humans on their decks. The frequency in which you see the boats are greatly increasing. It has become so dense that you don't think there is a time where you can't see one of the strange ships. Of course it is the ocean so you can see for miles so it is not extremely frequent, but its quite clear that the moon beasts all share a destination.

_____

The old woman after seeing you all quiet down seems to examine you all clearly before speaking. "I can lead you the camp where the prisoners of war are kept if you need me to. I know where it is. I can also tell you all about possible threats if we are accosted on the roads. It is safer for me if I am with a large group such as you then on me own after all. "

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I have a bad feeling about this," Zaladane murmurs as she cuts off the transmission from her sensor. "Far too many of those slaveships are heading towards the city. First we go to the camp, then we make for the city!"
    Now Playing:

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes let's move." Zaddion hefts his spear Wickett jumping to his shoulder.

"If they are all heading to city...do you think they are using them as cannon fodder?"

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

" No, Mr. Zaddion. It looks more like... an invading army."
    Now Playing:

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "Yes let's move." Zaddion hefts his spear Wickett jumping to his shoulder.

"If they are all heading to city...do you think they are using them as cannon fodder?"
    Eshiraith actually interjects with this comment. "Actually, I believe our friend from the deep revealed what they wanted the prisoners for" He says this gesturing to Tix'mu the toad-thing. "He claimed that the slaves would be fed to the Aboleth's elite guard."

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get there before it's too late for the libraries. And any remaining people and Banrignamara herself, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

My Super-Long encyclopedia of my current games.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As the conversation begins to die down the Valentines finish packing. They decide not to take the wagon with them because they plan on entering the forest John, Michelle and Jaclyn say absolutely nothing to you as they leave, but Olivia and Carl do. Olivia says goodbye to you all and even gives everyone of you in the adventuring party an awkward hug. How quickly bonds form when in perilous situations?

Carl's goodbye is a little elongated and his grin seems to be almost inhumanly wide at this point. There is something unsettling about the way he does that make you suspicious. He fishes out a papyrus scroll barely larger than a human's outstretched hand and then clasps Zaladane's hands tightly as he gives her the scroll. Suddenly the smile falls from him and his facial expression becomes intensely solemn as he clamps Zaladane's wrist.

Then he hisses out his message in an oddly gutural noise. "This I can guarantee is not the least you will see of me. Hopefully at our next meeting we can get to business much quicker. The note that I am giving you seems blank, but if you place it under the glow of the moon, its message will be revealed. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to collaborate in the future. We aren't so different after all you and I."

With that he suddenly draws back and begins to smile again as a slight chuckle escapes his throat. Carl begins to walk off very slowly with calculated steps, behaving as if he had won a game of chess or cards.

10. - Top - End - #880

The **** is wrong with that boy. He creeps he the flip out. Lily replied.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're telling me. Anyway, we know he went to some place and that made him insane or something- possibly possessed, or mentally controlled." Brann says, arms crossed. "He walks with an arrogant stride. I would know." He turns to the old woman. "Does this camp we are headed to have much equipment spare? I am apt at using a rapier and half-plate armor. In a fight against two factions of creatures that can read your mind, the ability to make no sound is less important, and as a particularly frail person in comparison to a few of us, I need protection."
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For once, Zaladane is struck speechless as she debates internally whether to force a confrontation with Carl Valentine or to hurry on to the city.

Her concern for the capital wins out, and she accepts the scroll without any comment. She mentally transmits to Olivia to keep a very close eye on the boy, as he was acting as if he were possessed. At least, the mystic reflects, if he were to try something, it would be better he does so in the forest, far from any civilization.

And thus, Zaladane hurries on to the camp the old woman is leading them to, physically there but mentally receiving further stimuli from her invisible Psionic sensor.
    Now Playing:

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

With the final goodbyes said the Valentines leave, and the old lady leads the way to the supposed prisoner camp. She is travelling surprisingly quick, even faster than you all. As you advance along the roads you too can see the moon beasts' ships floating along with increasing frequency. There is even one scary moment when a Shantak flies about a mile inland from you towards the city. Luckily it seems to be too far away to realize you, or is perhaps simply not paying attention.

Eventually you come close enough to your destination that you can actually see the city. There isn't anything wrong with the city itself that you can see, but for those of you who have been to Banrignamara when you look towards its docks you are concerned. There is more than twice as many, if not thrice as many, ships next to the city than usual. A whole navy must be deployed out there, or possibly two navies. You desperately hope that what you are seeing is Banrignamara's navy deploying and not the Aboleth's ship mooring into conquered docks.

The old woman grits her teeth nervously and turns to you all. "We're awful close the camp now. We're not more than an hour away."

This camp is indeed much farther from the city than you expected it would be if it is that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    He turns to the old woman. "Does this camp we are headed to have much equipment spare? I am apt at using a rapier and half-plate armor. In a fight against two factions of creatures that can read your mind, the ability to make no sound is less important, and as a particularly frail person in comparison to a few of us, I need protection."
    The old lady gives you a grim smile and almost hisses as she gives her response. "We will have all the equipment you need. I will persssonally sssee to it."

And thus, Zaladane hurries on to the camp the old woman is leading them to, physically there but mentally receiving further stimuli from her invisible Psionic sensor.
    The psionic eye can see in greater detail just how many ships are at the dock. There appears to be a massive amount of them, much more than the dock should be able to hold. While are still not close enough to distinguish an enemy's boat from an ally, it is with a sickening feeling that you recognize that the navy of Banrignamara can't possibly be that large. Hopefully it is just that some citizens of Recnam brought their ships here for protection.

Also not too far off from the city you can see a massive encapment, larger than you have ever seen. It must be for an entire army. It is very rudimentary and its clear people are not there to stay for long. Your Shantak friend flies overhead of it and then lands in the camp. There are several other massive bird-like shapes in that area. Needless to say, those creatures could deal quite a massive amount of damage to the city.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

The old lady gives you a grim smile and almost hisses as she gives her response. "We will have all the equipment you need. I will persssonally sssee to it."

Zaddion who was still somewhat bewildered after Carl's goodbye, finally perks up at old woman's voice and her tone. Her sudden appearance had seemed odd in the first place but now the near hiss had sent a shiver down Zaddion's spine. He took a moment to think about their interactions with the woman trying to suss out any danger he might have missed before.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight
    (1d20+7)[10]

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Something about the old woman's behavior seems odd. Her sprightliness, and especially the odd hiss that just escaped her lips.

Establishing a psionic mind-link with her party (Brann, Zaddion, Lily, Ayle), as well as the two top leaders in the Nantharanak expedition (Eshiraith and Mhithle), the mystic poses a question telepathically. "Do you notice something strange about our guide? Don't talk - think back your answer."

Spoiler
    Show
    Focus on Telepathic Contact: Zaladane can now use Telepathy with up to 6 creatures at once. Combine with "Mind Meld" to allow two-way telepathic communication.

Zaladane's Insight on old woman's behavior: (d20+6)[25].
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-05-19 at 06:28 PM.
    Now Playing:

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

"They only hissed at me. Did I say something?" Brann mutters before receiving telepathic communications from Zaladane. He sends a return message: "I don't know... With your permission, I would cast a spell to end any magic affecting her. If it is a disguise, then perhaps we can remove it? Or should I keep as much magical energy as possible?"

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    Zaddion who was still somewhat bewildered after Carl's goodbye, finally perks up at old woman's voice and her tone. Her sudden appearance had seemed odd in the first place but now the near hiss had sent a shiver down Zaddion's spine. He took a moment to think about their interactions with the woman trying to suss out any danger he might have missed before.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight
    [roll0]

You don't really detect anything you hadn't noticed before. You are more than certain that your newfound friend isn't even trying to cover up how weird they are though, which could mean a variety of things.

Something about the old woman's behavior seems odd. Her sprightliness, and especially the odd hiss that just escaped her lips.

Establishing a psionic mind-link with her party (Brann, Zaddion, Lily, Ayle), as well as the two top leaders in the Nantharanak expedition (Eshiraith and Mhithle), the mystic poses a question telepathically. "Do you notice something strange about our guide? Don't talk - think back your answer."

Spoiler
    Show
    Focus on Telepathic Contact: Zaladane can now use Telepathy with up to 6 creatures at once. Combine with "Mind Meld" to allow two-way telepathic communication.

Zaladane's Insight on old woman's behavior: [roll0].
    Mhithle seems to almost panic as she hears the voices in her head but calms down almost immediately once she realizes its your voice. It's not automatically clear why that spooked her so much.

She regardless sends you back a telepathic message. "She seems to be acting fairly normal to me. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. From what i understand it is not out of the ordinary for people to speak by... what is it called, rolling their S's?"

Eshiraith's response is not much more helpful. "I suppose so, but she isn't acting like any of our known enemies. Speaking in sibilants seems to signify that she might not be human, but is that really such a big deal? From what I understand there are all kinds of reptillian people in the material plane. Lizardfolk, Yuan-ti, Dragonborn, etc. The fact that she is trying to hide her identity though is a little concerning."

It only then occurs to you that asking people who have spent less than a week in Recnam what seems normal might be outside of their expertise.

You carefully try to analyze what is wrong with your behavior, and then something clicks in your mind. You feel sort of dumb for a second that you didn't understand by now. You know exactly what is going on here. (A PM will be sent to Zergrinch with an explanation.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For what seems to be a microsecond, Zaladane staggers, and the psionic link abruptly terminates. The mystic purses her lips, her mind closed, as she appears to be concentrating on something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zaladane is actively trying hard to act normally. To notice that she was momentarily taken aback, roll perception against my deception: (d20-1)[9]
    Now Playing:

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The old woman redirects you to the forest and you all begin to enter the wooded area. At first you didn't quite notice anything, but now that you look through the trees you notice a rather large stone wall in the middle of it. The wall looks way too surprisingly well maintained for it to be an old one which has rotted in the forest for years. You can't quite see an entrance, but the old woman leads you straight towards it anyway. You begin to reach closer and closer until you recognize that above the treetops there is a tall stone tower behind the wall. This seems way too impregnable to be a recent encampment.

Eventually you reach within about 500 ft or so of the wall when you realize that you are not alone. Red eyes are glaring at you through the bushes. Shapes emerge from the behind the trees and bushes within an instant. You find that in your presence are 10 different creatures which resemble war-horse sized velociraptors with excessive plumage.* You are worried that they may try to jump on you at first, but instead they stand still as soldiers at ready. One final shape emerges from the bushes, this time though it is that of a tanned human with wiry musculature. He stands with a pole-arm pointed at you as he gives his demands.

"Halt! Who are you and what are you doing here...".

Suddenly he looks at the old woman frowning at him and pauses. "My Apologies my lady, I did not recognize you at first. Who are these people you are travelling with?"

Your guide still gives the same scowl as she continues. "This is the adventuring posse who killed the Shantak in Ebonook, alongside Nantharanak ambassadors and Prisoners of War."

The glaive wielding dinosaur tamer looks greatly appeased but still suspicious. He tilts his spear in a manner you dont understand as the raptors come right up to all your faces so close that you can smell their breath. "So you all are the people that killed the Demon Bird of Leng, huh? What is your business here."

He doesn't seem to ask this to anyone in particular. All the old woman does at this action is smile smugly at you all, an expression which you hoped was gone once Carl had left. At least its clear that she doesn't want to kill you all, or else you would have become dinosaur bait at this point.

*Characters with proficiency in nature and/or intelligence scores of 17 or higher may recognize them as deinonychus

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane holds up a hand to prevent the others, especially Brann, from taking. Stepping forward, she addresses the dinosaur tamer in a clear but respectful tone.

"We are here to help. But, may I request that the prisoners be taken off our hands so we can discuss matters more freely?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Zaladane know or has heard of the tamer? INT check: (d20)[4]. +6 for History. +11 for anything else.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; Yesterday at 10:51 PM.
    Now Playing:

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaddion stares into the eyes of the Raptor in front of him. It's breath living a hot mist on his face, he is inches from it's maw and talons.

"....Can I keep you?"
    Last edited by Seanfall; Today at 12:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #892

I dunno, a pet is alot of responsibility. Lily snarks.