Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) IC

Zaddion tilts his head at this, gathering some of the phlegm on his finger and rolling it between his forefinger and thumb. This was perplexing.

"I don't think a forged weapon made these wounds...blood around the wound was drained out. Their's some type of mucus left behind. It's like a syringe drained her blood, then pumped something else into her."

Zaddion looked down at the woman. Was she taken by surprise?

"Have any of you heard of a creature capable of doing something like this? A monstrous Mosquito or the like?"
    Last edited by Seanfall; 2018-01-13 at 09:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

(posting from phone. Color will be added within 3 hours)
    Brann speaks in a condescending tone to Zaddion, without looking up from the dead creatures.
    "If the ghosts did not attack whoever exsanguinated this fey, who likely set this all up in the first place, it isn't something so weak as a giant mosquito. A giant mosquito would be attacked by the ghosts. We're dealing with vampires, and not the sparkly romantic kind. Keep on guard, they could be around us at this moment or hanging from the ceiling.
    Do you see any bats?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

My Super-Long encyclopedia of my current games.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    (posting from phone. Color will be added within 3 hours)
    Brann speaks in a condescending tone to Zaddion, without looking up from the dead creatures.
    "If the ghosts did not attack whoever exsanguinated this fey, who likely set this all up in the first place, it isn't something so weak as a giant mosquito. A giant mosquito would be attacked by the ghosts. We're dealing with vampires, and not the sparkly romantic kind. Keep on guard, they could be around us at this moment or hanging from the ceiling.
    Do you see any bats?"
    There are no bats or misquitos in the room

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have never encountered Vampires. But...the legends and tales do match with the wounds." Zaddion stepped back from the body and pointed a finger at it.

"If we are done with the body I suggest we burn it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If no one objects Zaddion will cast 'Fire Bolt' on the body.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't bother. I have never heard of dryad vampires. Besides, they are still bleeding some of their strange blue blood; to be vampirified they would have to be drained all the way."
    Wow, i canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

He had a point, perhaps a Dryad's fey nature would shield it from he curse of undeath. It was unnecessary. The fire could spread, who knew what gasses were in the swamp? But...at the same time.

"I bet she'd burn a nice color."

Yes that would be nice wouldn't it? The shades of smoke.

"The feeling of flame."

The warmth as it consumes.

"Everything."

A small point of flame formed at the tip of finger and a bolt of flame struck out towards the Dryad.

"LET IT ALL BURN!"

Show

Zaddion was originally supposed to be a Pyromanic.... >.>

Should I roll?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Colossus in the Playground

[QUOTE=Seanfall;22750740]
    "If we are done with the body I suggest we burn it."

I'm guessing she is that hot? Lily snarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #398

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    He had a point, perhaps a Dryad's fey nature would shield it from he curse of undeath. It was unnecessary. The fire could spread, who knew what gasses were in the swamp? But...at the same time.

"The feeling of flame."

"Everything."

A small point of flame formed at the tip of finger and a bolt of flame struck out towards the Dryad.

"LET IT ALL BURN!"

Show

Should I roll?

No, we can just say that it hits.

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post

"The feeling of flame."

"Everything."

"LET IT ALL BURN!"

Show

Should I roll?

Ayle
    *sighs* And how about a big flashing sign that says ďThe Heroes are Here!Ē if weíre signaling our presence, okay?
    Sigtars by the awesome Linklele.

Wow, I canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Polymorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Iíve just been diagnosed with depression. Expect my posting rate to drop.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Sighing as the people light the body, Olivia gives a small salute to her, hoping her soul finds peace at last. "Alright, so vampires ... anyone know how to kill one of these things? Unfortunately, i dont."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    óThe Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

"From what I've heard, running water, wooden stakes, or sunlight. My Tidal Wave spell that many of you ran away from when it wasn't going to hit you can provide the first one. I doubt we can get either of the others." Brann says, readying up to fire a ray of frost the instant Zadion tries to burn the body.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, we can find a wooden stake, we have tons of wood around here ... right?" I say looking around, "Just chop some of the stronger looking bits and carve those."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Crixon View Post
    "Well, we can find a wooden stake, we have tons of wood around here ... right?" I say looking around, "Just chop some of the stronger looking bits and carve those."
    I will allow you to spend a minute to craft a simple weapon made of wood if you would like. If any of you have a set of woodcarverís tools on you than you may instead make a martial weapon, but I do not think any of you have one.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane meets Breen's glare with one of her own stentorian glares. True, he went down after the spectres targeted him first, but he already received magical healing twice while Zadion had none.

Plus, she couldn't but help hold some measure of Schadenfreude. After all, in Zaladane's mind, she had already pegged him as quite rude (after snatching the amulet out of her hands) and quite reckless (after he summoned Abacus when there was already a way out of the Feywild trap).

As such, she chose to ignore him when he addressed her so rudely. "Old lady" indeed. Zaladane is no spring chicken, but neither is she truly old.

Instead, she dips into her pack and hands out the seven chitin spears harvested from the deep ones to Olivia.

"I suppose I should have given these to you earlier, dear. They appear to have magical properties that bypass resistance to mundane weapons, so they might prove helpful."
    Now Playing:

Zaladane (Human Avatar Mystic 6): IC | OOC | PNG | Map
    Zara Gathergourd (Halfling Druid 3) | IC | OOC | PNG | Map
    Zemzelett Gemblossom (Half-Elf Lore Bard 3): IC | OOC | PNG
    Zuzu Greycastle (Variant Human Mystic 5): IC | OOC | PNG

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Taking the spears given to her, and looking at them, "Why thank you, these might prove useful indeed! If they are resistant to being hurt, thank you!" She smiles to the woman, being polite to her. "Mmm we should still each have something, perhaps others might be able to use these as well? I dont need all of them myself, just incase." She says looking around to the others.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Crixon View Post
    Taking the spears given to her, and looking at them, "Why thank you, these might prove useful indeed! If they are resistant to being hurt, thank you!" She smiles to the woman, being polite to her. "Mmm we should still each have something, perhaps others might be able to use these as well? I dont need all of them myself, just incase." She says looking around to the others.
    Ayle
    May I have one? If we face enemies who can resist the bite of my sword, Iíll need another way to harm them.

Wow, I canít believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Polymorphed T-rexís jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

17. - Top - End - #407

Same, all I have are my words and sometimes the pen is not mightier then the sword. Lily comments.
    Playing Atheist England in GMR 12, Playing Siam in GMR 14, Playing as China in GMR 15, Playing as Dutch in GMR 16

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

18. - Top - End - #408

Flumph

I am going to hurry things up and say that Zaladane gave a deep one pole-arm to everyone. That means that Zaladane has two, Olivia has two, Ayle has one, Brann has one, Lily has one, and Zadion has one. The pole-arms have the same statistics as a spear with the finesse property.

19. - Top - End - #409

Ayle
    Perhaps I should turn invisible again and scout out the tunnel ahead? Or would you like to do that, Lily? Youíre probably quieter than I am.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheathing her sword, Olivia takes one of those spears and hefts it getting ready, "Alright, anything else we need to do before we move on?"

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Brann stands up quickly. "I'm just as quiet. Cast your spell on me, I'll lead the way. I can already see further in the darkness than either of you for precisely the next 7 hours and 54 minutes. Not to mention that I can understand any strange languages they may be speaking." he says, and walks towards the entryway, not even waiting for the spell to be cast.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-01-14 at 10:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Zaddion took the spear, looking oddly at it's tip. It was light and clearly didn't rely on brute force. Which was good...as he had precious little of that to go around.

"How did you...acquire such odd looking weapons?"

The Warlock watches the Wizard trot off, raising his hand and waving a short farewell.
    Last edited by Seanfall; 2018-01-14 at 11:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Brann stands up quickly. "I'm just as quiet. Cast your spell on me, I'll lead the way. I can already see further in the darkness than either of you for precisely the next 7 hours and 54 minutes. Not to mention that I can understand any strange languages they may be speaking." he says, and walks towards the entryway, not even waiting for the spell to be cast.
    Ayle
    *sighs* Heís going to get himself killed... but thatís his choice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Invisibility on Brann.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"In a previous encounter," Zaladane enigmatically answers the question posed by Zaddion.

"Very well then, let's not tarry and let Mr. Breen sacrifice himself in vain. We should shadow him the best we can."
    Now Playing:

25. - Top - End - #415

Flumph

Are you all going to move into the next room, or is there something you are still waiting for? If you wish to move on, then please announce that you are doing so.

26. - Top - End - #416

Lily focuses on her magic on Brann as well. Touching his shoulder as he goes invisible.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting enhance ability dex.

27. - Top - End - #417

Flumph

You all march forward into the next room, spears at the ready to combat whatever lies beyond. Trudging through the swampy ground you make your way towards the entrance. Your steps are heavied by a sense of dread though. You have fought many creatures in the past, but fighting a vampire is a whole different matter. So far you have only been pitted against mooks and foot soldiers, the weakest members of a stronger force. But now you are marching onto something much more formidable. These are not simply unskilled expendables given crude weapons, either clumsily grafted onto their bodies or collected from the wreaks of sunken ships, this is a champion of combat whose sole purpose became devoted to sowing death with all its essence. Eventually you make your way to the hallway through the fog and find yourself in another cavernous tunnel. About sixty feet down this tunnel you find your way into the next room.

You continue down to find yourself in a new natural terrain, though this one is not swampy. In an a strange sort of way, the small grotto is quite picturesque. At the far end of the wall you can see a waterfall pouring straight down into a pool of glowing blue water, bright as the moon. Speaking off the moon, their actually appears to be an immense hole punched into the roof of the cave, revealing the radiant moon baring down on your from above. Its light shines upon a massive gnarled tree. Although its leaves have long since fallen and it takes on the appearance of a plant succumbed to winter's winds, the branches glare like silver instead of being a simple pale white. To the left and right of you there are two pure white boulders of a misty quarts, about half the size of the tree in front of you. It is a far step away from the gloomy swamp you have just left from.

"Well would you look at the odds", a voice coming from an elevated position somewhere above you announces in a crisp voice, tinged with a strange nasal accompaniment which you did not expect coming from the rest of the voice. It speaks loudly but calmly. "You have found your way to cheat death once again, haven't you Brann? First from the magical wards guarding a sleeping wizard whose throat your knife did slit, and now from undead who specifically singled you out as their prey. I am quite surprised you survived that one, its just like old times, isn't it Mr. Breen.?"

"Well let me tell you something, you are not the only one who can cheat death, dearest Brann." Suddenly a figure atop the tree starts to reveal itself. At first you mistooken the creature for one of the branches during your cursory glance of the area, but now that its bone-colored, chameleon skin has faded away its guise you can clearly see it in all its terror. The monster is scarcely human, being closer to that of a horrid combination of bat, misquito and man. Its skin has been replaced with an carapace of dark insectoid shells with black hairs carpeting all over them. Its wings appear to be that of a bats, but instead of having flaps of fur connecting the long bony "fingers", there is only the flesh of an insect's wings. You are staring into eyes which have the shape of a human's but the color and design of a flies. Never before have you seen such a mockery of life coalesced into one nightmare.

"You will not escape your fate this time though!"
    The vampires wings then unfurl as the vampire drops down from the tree onto the ground. Almost as if one cue, figures rise from the boulders to your left and right. Serpents with scaly bat wings flutter their way upwards from behind the boulders and direct their red eyes towards you. One of these creatures has white skin identical to the quartz it stands, while another is the exact opposite with scales bloodied from what you assume must have been the last fight. Two streams of venom come shooting out of the snake creatures mouths and they strike directly into Brann's chest. He recoils in pain from the surprising ferocity of the small creatures attacks as the vile poison reaches crawls towards his heart. You can recognize these creatures as monstrosities called urhags, which are unsurprisingly relatives of stirges, and were probably created by the same sadistic wizard who did not learn to use transmutation spells in moderation.

Brann takes 9 poison damage

Another one of the strange batwinged snakes beats its wings and dives down at Zadion while deliverig a shrieking hiss, sinking its teeth into the area just below his neck.

Zadion takes 9 poison damage

The final serpent is not quite as ferocious as the others, and it appears to be old and sickly, so it instead decides to target its counterpart in the enemy team. From its position high on the quartz boulder it launches a line of venom into Zaladane, but its aim is a little off and it can only manage to graze her arm

Zaladane takes 3 poison damage

After the fiendish swarm finishes its barrage the vampire carries through with its attack. While it it wants to destroy Brann the most, a different target catches its eye. Of all the enemies the human knight appears to be the hardiest. The one witht he most vitality to be sucked out. Its hunched head lowers as the monster rams its probiscis directly through her armor. The pain it causes is nauseating and causes her body to sway and her mind to begin to panic. Olivia shouts and twists herself away from the vampire's natural implement of torture, dazed from the pain but still standing. She was badly wounded by that hit but has not lost consciousness yet. If another one of those attacks hit though, it could end very badly.

Olivia takes 40 necrotic damage

Battle notes and battle map

Aura of bloodletting is active (advantage on all melee attack rolls for everyone)

Ayle: HP=50, affected by fly,
    Olivia: HP=41, polymorhphed into a Tyrannosaurus rex, affected by fly
    Brann: HP=15, affected by enhance ability (dexterity)
    Lily: HP=59, concentrating on polymorph
    Zaladane: HP=49, concentrating on aura of bloodletting
    Zadion: HP=43, concentrating on fly

vampire: HP=94, restrained
    albino urhag: HP=25
    bloody urhag: HP=4
    hissing urhag: dead
    sickly urhag: Dead

Spoiler: enemy defensive statistics
    Show

urhag (monstrosity): AC=13, vulnerable to bludgeoning damage, saves (str -3, dex +2, con +0, int +3, wis +1, cha -3)

Vampire Ilsair (undead): AC=15, vulnerable to radiant damage, resistance to non-magical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage, immunity to necrotic and poison damage, saves (str +4, dex +4, con +6, int +5, wis +3, cha +3), advantage on saving throws against being charmed and frightened, immune to being poisoned and unconscious, special trait, relentless (1/day): If the vampire takes 14 damage or less that would reduce it to 0 hit points, it is reduced to 1 hit point instead.

it is your turns now. Remember that you are all currently wielding the deep one pole-arms, which are spears with the finesse property that deal magical damage.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

"Who the hell is this guy? He seems to know me somehow, so I guess I'll just play along." Brann thinks, genuinely forgetting who this guy is. "So we meet again!" he shouts. "Unfortunately for you, my powers have doubled since we last met!" He's acting tough, but he's clearly heavily damaged.

The sudden approach startles him. Whatever this thing is, it has wings, so it can follow them wherever they run. Even if they were to run, it would be back to the fiery pit from before. And the damage it just dealt to the new girl... looked almost fatal. He thinks for a moment. He has no spells that could possibly hit this thing in a million years at the speed it flies. Even if they were to hit it would be a mere tickle. The best course of action would be to run, but who would cover their retreat to allow them that? The old lady is going to be no more than wet paper against this thing's attacks. One of the musicians would fare the best... But only for an instant. This thing seemed to have a quarrel with me... So that seems like the only way: Disengage.

"Run!" He says, disengaging and moving as far as he can back down the corridor. "You saw this ugly bugger and his little snakes tear into me, Zadion, the old lady, and Olivia!"
    Run until you can't no more!!"

Now also seems like the time for an Expeditious Retreat (takes the dash action as part of the spell, which is a bonus action, this turn and as a bonus action on later turns)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the Journal of Zaladane

I had suspected Brann Breen of being a coward. And now, I have proof! That cur cast Expeditious Retreat and fled from a creature that was clearly had a grievance against him.

I would wring his miserable little neck, if we weren't so preoccupied with surviving the next few seconds!

====

So great was her anger at Brann and shock at the attack on Olivia, Zaladane scarcely felt the scratch of the Urhag. Instead, she channels her fury outwards, lashing out at the urhag that scratched her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: There's no map, so I'll just describe what I want. If Zaladane can do so without triggering an opportunity attack, she will move first into a position where the least amount of enemies can benefit from her aura. If this is not possible, then so be it.

Bonus Action: Aura of Bloodletting (3 psi, concentration, 1 minute). Zaladane and any creature (including the enemy) within 60 feet of her has advantage on melee attack rolls. Heh, this looks like can backfire spectacularly. I should probably retrain this on level-up.

Attack: Chitin Polearm, one-handed because I need the +2 to AC from the shield. (d20+5)[18] (d20+5)[6]. Hit: (d6+2)[7] plus (d8)[7] from potent psionics. Crit: (d6)[3] plus (d8)[4].

Result: 14 damage to sickly urhag.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-01-15 at 08:40 AM.
    Now Playing:

30. - Top - End - #420

Ayle
    Run? I do not run. I am the manifestation of a holy death on this world, and by the gods, vampire, I will see you destroyed! But first, we can start with your little friends.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Is there a battle map?
    Cast Shatter using a 3rd level spell slot on as many urhags as I can, and the vampire if possible. It has a 10-foot radius.

Damage: (4d8)[21]. Beating a DC 15 CON save halves.
    Saves:
    Albino Urhag: (1d20)[18]
    Bloody Urhag: (1d20)[6]
    Sickly Urhag: (1d20)[15]
    Hissing Urhag: (1d20)[4]
    Vampire: (1d20+3)[5]
    Last edited by TheArcaneCaster; 2018-01-15 at 08:43 AM.