New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Dissonance (D&D 5e) IC

Looking around, "Hey, i know you guys, yea, i live mid town with my brother and sister. Though i am curious what you guys are doing out here exactly?" She of course takes the offered hand and shakes it, putting the sword into her shield hand for a moment.
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

"Say that our lives are measured not by gain but by giving."
    —The Forestmaster, Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Spoiler
    Show

Hugs For The Hug God! Cuddles For The Cuddle Throne!!!! - Jacklu

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

We were trying to locate the Titan's cache, and were unfortunately interrupted by spider riders. Lily remarks.

That makes it almost sound like a poem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Brann is new in town, so he doesn't recognize them. He goes on investigating while also ignoring the newcomer completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Brann is new in town, so he doesn't recognize them. He goes on investigating while also ignoring the newcomer completely.
    You are not actually close enough to the cache yet to do any investigations. You are currently at the border of the market district, while the building the cache is in is located somewhere in the center of the residential district. You all are about half an hour away from the supposed building. As soon as this conversation is all wrapped up you will be heading there. I am going to carry your former checks over though when we get there, just for the sake of fairness.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

With Olivia by your side you all continue on your march towards the location of the fabled Titan Slayer Cache. The residential district for the most part resembles what you have seen of the city so far, it appears like the ancient citizens of Ebonook were not really interested in making their houses aesthetically pleasing. Where it not for the sloping roofs of the houses and their shattered windows, then you could have easily mistaken them for store-houses. Aside from that, the only major difference seems to be that the road is less wider here than it is in the market district.

After about another half an hour of searching you reach the building with the X marked on it on the map at the same time when the sun sets and the sky is painted a myriad of warm colors. Really you expected something more from the structure which supposedly contains Titan Slayer Cache, but the house you are standing in front of does not seem any different from its surroundings. You all carefully investigate the area around building and find nothing out of the ordinary either. With that part done you now step inside of the square-floored house, 30 foot wide in length and width with a scarcely 7 foot tall ceiling. Not much is left inside as most of the furniture would be made of material which would have long since rotted away, but the cooking furnace, still generating a soft red glow which warms the room, and a small selection of decimated pottery can be found. You all eagerly search around the room for any kind of secret passageway or entrance, carefully examining every stone brick in the house. For some reason you all expected to experience some sort of cliche happenstance where you would press one of the bricks in and then an entire section of the wall or floor would move back to reveal a hidden tunnel, but none of that seemingly happens. None of the pottery is exactly very exciting either. All in all, everything is rather disappointing.

Wait a second though... this place has not been inhabited in decades, so how exactly is the furnace still burning? Brann goes to open the furnace and is surprised to see that there is no fire burning inside of it at all, instead there is simply an ornate vase placed inside of it. The stark white vessel is relatively well rounded and is probably about the size of your head. A design meant to mimic some form of fog or mist is painted on it in a teal paint. Somehow, the light is actually originating any sort of fire, but it is instead emanating from the vase which generates a similar glow. From an artistic standpoint, the color scheme of the jar really does not seem to make any sense paired with the strange aura of light. This thing reeks of magic, and you get the sense that it is not necessarily benevolent magic. While the most obvious solution would be to simply pick up the vase open it, that could turn out to be a very bad quickly.

How do you all respond?
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

6. - Top - End - #276

I... Lily starts with some hesistation.

That was made by the fey I think.... But I don't know much else besides that, anyone have any ideas? She comments.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Mr. Breen," Zaladane addresses the wizard, "What aura do you see from this relic?"

Turning to the rest of the party, the mystic continues, "It is clear this object is responsible for the illusion. I suspect its function is not merely limited to it. I urge the utmost caution as we study it. Look up, look down, look to the sides, and be prepared to call out if anything is amiss!"

And so, the mystic focuses all attention towards identifying the vase without touching it physically.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, an Arcana check (d20+7)[27] to identify the object. If this is not possible or if it fails, spend 3 psi points to activate Item Lore (concentration, 1 hour), which has the same effect as the Identify spell. If object cannot be identified due to distance, use psionic hand (maximum load is 10 pounds) to slowly nudge the vase closer, although Zaladane will still NOT physically touch it.

Zaladane is focusing on Mantle of Fury (all allies within 10 feet have +5 speed). Her passive auras include Avatar of Battle (all allies within 30 feet have +2 initiative) and Avatar of Healing (all allies within 30 feet who regain HP from a psionic discipline gain extra 4 HP)
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-01-05 at 03:59 AM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    "Mr. Breen," Zaladane addresses the wizard, "What aura do you see from this relic?"

Turning to the rest of the party, the mystic continues, "It is clear this object is responsible for the illusion. I suspect its function is not merely limited to it. I urge the utmost caution as we study it. Look up, look down, look to the sides, and be prepared to call out if anything is amiss!"

And so, the mystic focuses all attention towards identifying the vase without touching it physically.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, an Arcana check [roll0] to identify the object. If this is not possible or if it fails, spend 3 psi points to activate Item Lore (concentration, 1 hour), which has the same effect as the Identify spell. If object cannot be identified due to distance, use psionic hand (maximum load is 10 pounds) to slowly nudge the vase closer, although Zaladane will still NOT physically touch it.

Zaladane is focusing on Mantle of Fury (all allies within 10 feet have +5 speed). Her passive auras include Avatar of Battle (all allies within 30 feet have +2 initiative) and Avatar of Healing (all allies within 30 feet who regain HP from a psionic discipline gain extra 4 HP)
    I would say that in this case, you would probably need to cast item lore to determine what the object is in a clearly defined manner. The furnace is not all that deep, so you do not need to move it with your psionic hand to nudge it any closer.

While you suspected the vase to be projecting some kind of illusion, you are surprised to notice that your hypothesis seems very unlikely, as the jar is something of a far different nature. It is actually something that you heard of, but never seen, called a "Vase of Portal Dust". The inside of this container is filled with a bunch of shimmering particles. If you dump the particles out of the vessel onto a surface, than a portal that is slightly larger than a humanoid will form on that surface over the location where you layed the dust. The dust is then expended and the portal will remain for 24 hours, or until dispelled. Such portals always lead to a specific location within a pocket dimension inside the ethereal plane. Typically such dimensions have had objects, buildings and even whole terrains teleported into the ethereal plane. Where the portal precisely leads to is dependent on the enchantments placed on the vessel holding the portal dust. It was said that an ancient civilization of fey knew how to make portal dust and would use them to create gateways to hidden bunkers in the ethereal plane. The knowledge on how to create them is now completely unknown now. This is a rather extra-ordinary find indeed.
    -

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the Journal of Zaladane

I never thought it possible. Portal Dust, the stuff dimension doors are made of. Not your regular Floo Powder, heavens no. But something only the fey was able to achieve in legend. This lends substantially more credence to the Titan Cache being hidden here. Not in this physical location, but some manner of pocket dimension accessible through this dust. Should I use it? Dare I use it?

==================

"Portal dust," Zaladane breathed, motioning to her psionic hand to bring the vase closer. "A gateway to secret rooms on the ethereal plane. A most extraordinary find. And yet, do we have a right to use it?"

Turning to her companions, she explains. "Spread this dust on a surface, and a portal to the Titan's Cache may appear. The problem is, the vault may contain some nasty guardians that will wreak havoc on this plane. Before we attempt this, do any of you have the means to dispel the magic?"
    Now Playing

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    From the Journal of Zaladane

I never thought it possible. Portal Dust, the stuff dimension doors are made of. Not your regular Floo Powder, heavens no. But something only the fey was able to achieve in legend. This lends substantially more credence to the Titan Cache being hidden here. Not in this physical location, but some manner of pocket dimension accessible through this dust. Should I use it? Dare I use it?

==================

"Portal dust," Zaladane breathed, motioning to her psionic hand to bring the vase closer. "A gateway to secret rooms on the ethereal plane. A most extraordinary find. And yet, do we have a right to use it?"

Turning to her companions, she explains. "Spread this dust on a surface, and a portal to the Titan's Cache may appear. The problem is, the vault may contain some nasty guardians that will wreak havoc on this plane. Before we attempt this, do any of you have the means to dispel the magic?"
    Ayle
    Yes, I do know the spell Dispel Magic.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

”So the townsfolk spoke true, their are others seeking the cache.”

The voice belongs to a tall lanky figure in the doorway. The hood of a tattered and dirty cloak obscures his features. He takes a step into the room.

“But what lead them here I wonder? Greed? Couristy? Perhaps fear. Seeking to escape or forstall the madness engulfing this island?”

The man pulls his hood back revealing his rather weathered features.

“If it is indeed the latter rather then the former. I’d be willing to aid them, so tell me. Why are you here?”

12. - Top - End - #282

Lily lets out a startled shriek.

Who are you? What are you doing here!? She lets out.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking around the room, Olivia notes the fireplace , and the magic, this ... is not exactly her area of expertise. Though her magics lie in hurting things. She lets teh wizard take the lead on this, though when the next person appears she draws her blade and spins, "Who are you sir, speak quickly."
    We of the unicorn clan are the best horsemen in the land,our horses are our lives,we live as one,we fight as one,we die as one.

We are all awesome, each and every one of us, no matter who or what we are. Except those people who want to make other people feel bad ... them .. not so much!

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Although somewhat startled by Lily's sudden shriek, years of experience with loud noisy brats at the University have inured Zaladane to excited outbursts from students.

Giving no indication that she was surprised in any way, the mystic slowly turns towards the newcomer, her hand moving towards the portable crossbow stowed in her item pack.
    Now Playing

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayle
    “Have you been following us?” Ayle asks the newcomer. “Because the last time some slightly creepy guy came out of a dark doorway, he was riding a gigantic spider and was evil.”

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

”Who? Whowhowho....I...I am the one who hears the whispers from the void. I am the one DAMNED BY THE KNOWING! I am Zaddion.”

Zaddion looks the others in the eyes one at a time. Words echo through their minds. The same for each.

As long as you oppose the forces at work. I am not your enemy.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zaladane's glare grows ever stronger. And then narrow into slits.

Mustering all the indignation she can achieve, she sends the newcomer a telepathic message: Respect your boundaries, young man. I do not go around rooting about in your mind. You most assuredly do NOT have my permission to intrude into mine.

Now Playing

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion turns his head to the side, long silvery locks falling form his head. "Ah...another who can touch the mind. Apologies...I spent much time in." Zaddion stops his head jerking to the side, eyes wide and fearful. Then after a moment he blinks and seems back to normal. "Seclusion."

Zaddion moves in closer to the group, "Your wrong though. I'm not young." His eyes flick to Ayle, as if only now registering their question. "We're all being followed, always. Watching wearily waiting. Have you not felt it? Seen the signs?" Zaddion growls, baring his teeth. "Stared up at the sky on a starless night? FELT THE EYES UPON YOU!?" Zaddion swallows and backs away.

No not now not not now.

The man grabs his head and begins reciting the names of herbs and their medical uses. He visibly calms, breathing more steadily after a moment.
    "I am sorry. It's been a long and tiring day. As I said I am Zaddion. What were we..."
    Zaddion strains for a moment then snaps his finger several times in quick succession. "THE CACHE. That is what matters right now. I want to come with you."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Frowning a bit, definitely not liking this guy all that much ... he seems .... very strange. I ... so dont know if thats ok if he comes with ... he is ... insane. "I would much appreciate it if you didnt mess around in my head ... " Very ... uncomfortable ... but alright ... maybe this one is insane but maybe he will be useful and hopefully not harmful. Still ... keep an eye on this one for sure. "Alright, if the others agree you may come with us."

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayle
    You may come with us, but please watch yourself.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

From the journal of Zaladane

I admit I could have spread the dust psionically, but I have to test the newcomer's sincerity. He appears to be mentally imbalanced and is obviously not a psionic. That leaves one of two alternatives: a rare species of telepathic Halfling, or a warlock that communes with creatures from the Farplane. I thought asking him to open the portal was the most prudent choice; that way, he is preoccupied and cannot sabotage us, even if that is what his patron demands.

======

Very well, Mr. Zaddion, was it? If you're truly intent on helping us, then would you please spread some of the portal dust from this vase onto that wall over there? The rest of you, please be on the alert. If something sinister tries to pass through and we cannot handle it, dispel the magic immediately.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-01-06 at 09:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Of course, let me prepare." Zaddion takes in a breath and focuses, the shadows in the room slither towards him wrapping around him. They burst after a moment leaving a thin outline of magical armor around him. Zaddion steps forward towards the vase and with both hands takes out a measure of the dust. On the nearest wall he spreads it around in a circle large enough for them to pass through. He steps back and waits for the portal to open.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using Armor of Shadows to cast Mage Armor.

Sets my ac at 13+dex.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

I prepare as well, getting ready incase anything hostile comes through, setting myself in a combat stance.

Spoiler: Ready Action
    Show
    Just setting a ready action to attack anything coming through that appears hostile to me.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Zaidon carefully places the portal dust on the wall. It’s shimmering particles soon begin to glow a radiant purple. Soon the areas between the dust borders fill in with a dark blue, almost black, sheen of some magical force. Interestingly the purple sheen also has glimmering purple dots in it which resemble the portal dust. It is almost as if you are looking at a night sky. Suddenly you realize that the design is actually translucent, and through it you can see a room. A really disappointing room really. The portal looks like It leads to a bland chamber which is strangely the same size as the building you are in. All the walls ceiling and floor are made of red bricks, and you can’t identify any other figures in the room. You all nervously stand by the portal, awaiting to strike whatever horrid beast comes out. This effort is all in vain though for nothing does. A couple of Minutes pass, but nothing comes out. This was a really anti-climatic dimensional gateway to be completely honest.

Would you all like to enter through the portal at once, or did you want someone to go in before he others?
    -

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the portal, waiting for something bad to happen, but nothing does. Hmmm ... alright, well i guess i should go in first. Speaking out loud, "Alright, ill go first, if nothing murders me come in after ok?" And with that, she steps through the portal.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Brann is slightly unnerved. Now here's another guy, shouting at the old lady he lied to. That was bad, but this is worse. Oh well, we do need all the help we can get. Probably.

When the new girl speaks and jumps through the portal, Brann snaps out of his thoughts, and with his intellect, he acts fast.

"Hold on! How in hell would we ever know if you were killed on the other side or not- Arrrgh!"
    He yells in frustration, and then jumps in behind her. He looks around, observing what's around.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2018-01-06 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Another erratic one," Zaladane mutters to herself as Brann Breen hurls himself into the portal.

"Listen," she addresses the remaining party members, as she begins distributing the ten foot poles she brought along. "We don't know what sort of enchantments or traps await us on the other side. Use these to tap along the floor and the walls. And above all, don't forget to also look up!"

After Ayle and Lily get a pole each, Zaladane motions for Zaddion to step through, before she will step through. To ensure that they have a way back, Zaladane will also cause her psionic hand to bring along the vase to the other side.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2018-01-06 at 07:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion was about to put his leg through the portal when Zaladane stopped him. He wordlessly took the pole with a raised brow, then stepped through the portal.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Ayle
    Ayle takes the pole and steps through.

30. - Top - End - #300

Lily takes the pole with a polite curtsy, before holding it like a wizard would a staff and leaping through.