1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default New computer, migrate from Win7 to Win10

Hey guys, wondering what is the easiest way to migrate the programs from my old Windows 7 computer to my new Windows 10 computer.
    I see PCmover Ultimate and EaseUS Todo PCTrans. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on the subject.

Much appreciated.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New computer, migrate from Win7 to Win10

It depends on what kind of programs you're talking about. If it's stuff like, say, steam games, it'd just be a matter of copying them over and pointing steam at the right directory. But anything that would classify as some kind of utility or other software would be more stable if you just re-installed it on your new PC.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It's everything, basically. Honestly, I don't know if I still have the discs for everything and, if I do, if I have the codes to make them work anymore.
    Just looking to make my life easier rather than trying to locate and install dozens of programs.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    It's everything, basically. Honestly, I don't know if I still have the discs for everything and, if I do, if I have the codes to make them work anymore.
    Just looking to make my life easier rather than trying to locate and install dozens of programs.
    No generally reliable way to do this that I know of, unfortunately. More modern OS design principles have suggested/enforced programs that are more self-contained and portable, but on older OS's programs were allowed to and usually did create a number of hooks and setup configurations in the operating system that basically customized them to that install. If you rip the program loose from those hooks and drop it somewhere else it won't know how to operate without being fully reinstalled. Data files like documents, music files, spreadsheets, and the like are usually movable. The actual programs that created and read them, often not.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2017-12-05 at 03:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Are these computers desktops? Would it be possible for you to simply take the hard-drive out of the old computer and put it into the new computer as a secondary drive?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    No generally reliable way to do this that I know of, unfortunately. More modern OS design principles have suggested/enforced programs that are more self-contained and portable, but on older OS's programs were allowed to and usually did create a number of hooks and setup configurations in the operating system that basically customized them to that install. If you rip the program loose from those hooks and drop it somewhere else it won't know how to operate without being fully reinstalled. Data files like documents, music files, spreadsheets, and the like are usually movable. The actual programs that created and read them, often not.
    When I went from XP to 7, Windows 7 had a backed in program that allowed the transfer. I don't think I had a single issue with any programs, but this was XP to 7 and not 7 to 10. Both PCmover Ultimate and EaseUS Todo PCTrans claim to do this but I've read mixed reviews online and was wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with either. PCmover is endorsed by Microsoft, for whatever value you want to assign to that.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rdecai[QC] View Post
    Are these computers desktops? Would it be possible for you to simply take the hard-drive out of the old computer and put it into the new computer as a secondary drive?
    Yes, both are. I've cloned both drives, so I have backups, but do you know if Windows 10 will read programs from a secondary?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Yes, both are. I've cloned both drives, so I have backups, but do you know if Windows 10 will read programs from a secondary?
    I don't see why not, my current computer is a Windows 10 with 2 hard-drives in it, and I haven't had any problems with reading from either drive.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rdecai[QC] View Post
    I don't see why not, my current computer is a Windows 10 with 2 hard-drives in it, and I haven't had any problems with reading from either drive.
    I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Have you looked into the Windows 7 Back-up feature?

My Windows 10 says it can still use the Windows 7 Back-up and Restore feature.

Physically moving the hardrive or even cloning it all accmplishes the same thing with the same general problem. You get the data physically, but for most software it's going to be a reinstall anyway.
    Because almsot all software rely on those hooks into the OS which no longer will point to anything running.

The only way I've so far found where it works to migrate stuff like that is when you install a new OS vevr the older one, ie an upgrade.

Moving the stuff from a HDD to a SSD might not be entirely problematic either, especially if you are trying to switch bootdisk in the process.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Have you looked into the Windows 7 Back-up feature?

My Windows 10 says it can still use the Windows 7 Back-up and Restore feature.

Physically moving the hardrive or even cloning it all accmplishes the same thing with the same general problem. You get the data physically, but for most software it's going to be a reinstall anyway.
    Because almsot all software rely on those hooks into the OS which no longer will point to anything running.

The only way I've so far found where it works to migrate stuff like that is when you install a new OS vevr the older one, ie an upgrade.

Moving the stuff from a HDD to a SSD might not be entirely problematic either, especially if you are trying to switch bootdisk in the process.
    Sorry, that was above my head.
    From what I gather, since it's a new computer and not an upgrade, but I'm transfering the old HD to the new computer, that it might now work?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Well putting the old HD in the computer you'll be able to access the stuff on it. Opening and copying pictures, documents and so on. Most programs won't run from the other HD because they will no longer be properly installed though.

Windows 7 has a built-in Back-up and Restore function. However I've never used it so am not sure what it actually can back-up.

In theory you should be able to do a full back-up from Windows 7 and then Windows 10 can restore from that back up. This *might* mean you can actually get everything migrated over fomr old hd to new one easily. I've just never tried it so don't know for sure.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Well putting the old HD in the computer you'll be able to access the stuff on it. Opening and copying pictures, documents and so on. Most programs won't run from the other HD because they will no longer be properly installed though.

Windows 7 has a built-in Back-up and Restore function. However I've never used it so am not sure what it actually can back-up.

In theory you should be able to do a full back-up from Windows 7 and then Windows 10 can restore from that back up. This *might* mean you can actually get everything migrated over fomr old hd to new one easily. I've just never tried it so don't know for sure.
    I'll do see some research and see what pans out.
    Spoiler
    Show