New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Help with fusion number crunching

So I'm an ME student with a basic knowledge of the physics and chemistry in my field.

I read for a paper a couple years ago that the EU is looking to break ground on a fusion reactor in 2025.

My understanding of fusion is the difficulty is maintaining the enormous heat and pressure to have a stable reaction. The solution to that is a magnetic bottle a la Spider-Man 2.

The numbers part I'm curious about is how much energy is released in a fusion reaction? I know it's at least an order of magnitude larger than fission, but some numbers would be nice. I've heard crazy things, like one or two stable fusion reactors could supply enough power for the planet.

Secondary question, how would the released energy be harnessed. You can't exactly do a water turbine if we are looking at tungsten melting temperatures.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help with fusion number crunching

For the turbine, you'd probably use a steam turbine, like you do in a fission plant:
    Spoiler: Picture
    Show

How much energy is put out depends on how much fuel you put in, for instance the ITER fusion reactor aims to put out 500 MW.

On more general principles the energy released in any fusion reaction depends on the difference in mass between the reactants and the products in the reaction, E = Δmc2.
    Last edited by ereinion; 2017-12-03 at 12:21 AM.
    "In defeat, malice; in victory, revenge!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Captnq View Post
    Roleplay liking each other or GET OUT. Because I've had it up to my eyeballs with REAL role-players and their "concept" being more important then the rules, fun, and the other players

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I'm familiar with Einstein's theory of (General?) Relativity. However the mass term was tripping me up. I wasn't sure how much mass was "lost".

I've zero experience with quantum mechanics so the subtleties were escaping me.

But 500MW? That gives me a soft number. Now to compare output to a fission reactor out coal plant for some prospective. I'm off!

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    I'm familiar with Einstein's theory of (General?) Relativity. However the mass term was tripping me up. I wasn't sure how much mass was "lost".
    That part is actually really easy - just look at the molecular weights of deuterium and helium to a whole lot of significant figures. Alternately there are plenty of charts that graph per-nucleon energy levels that can be easily used instead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

What are the names of these charts for Google purposes?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Nuclear binding energy per nucleon" will do the trick, although a lot of them have weird sign conventions such that going higher on the graph corresponds to a lower energy state, such as this example. Also that's energy and not mass, so it cuts out a lot of the middle steps.

*Which isn't exactly new when dealing with energy.