Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confessions

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Confessions

I think that most things that are either a world of flipped tropes and cliches or deconstructed tropes and cliches are the tropes and cliches. I personally like works that are known for being the ones that start/follow tropes and cliches. This is probably what got me into the power metal band Twilight Force. Their songs involve a lot of fantasy cliches and buzzwords, and they are known for telling incredibly cheesy high fantasy stories with their songs. Even the lore to their characters (Yes, the band members have their own characters with backstory.) is predictable and I think that's a good thing. At this point, I think that the "worn out tropes" is the breath of fresh air.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I think that most things that are either a world of flipped tropes and cliches or deconstructed tropes and cliches are the tropes and cliches. I personally like works that are known for being the ones that start/follow tropes and cliches. This is probably what got me into the power metal band Twilight Force. Their songs involve a lot of fantasy cliches and buzzwords, and they are known for telling incredibly cheesy high fantasy stories with their songs. Even the lore to their characters (Yes, the band members have their own characters with backstory.) is predictable and I think that's a good thing. At this point, I think that the "worn out tropes" is the breath of fresh air.
    You are still looking at this too short term.

Tropes are cyclical. In the long term, these will all be breaths of fresh air and not, these will all be predictable and unpredictable eventually. you do nothing but wish for the passing of the trend wheel to its next phase, which will eventually turn back to how things are now. therefore whether something is popular or unpopular is irrelevant, whether a cliche is worn out or brand new is irrelevant. what matters is how its useful to you, and how well its used, and thus how well it tells the story regardless of whether its a cliche or not, deconstructed, flipped or not.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 20!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrm... I've probably got a couple...

I don't understand the appeal of most anime: with the exception of ghibli movies (and even then, only really the stuff by hayao miyazaki) and a few other shows that I liked the aesthetic of (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FLCL and Baccano) most of it seems to have this weird almost cheap feel to it that rubs me the wrong way.

I really don't care about most modern superhero movies (at least, the ones that I've gone along with others to see.) I think Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was the only superhero type thing I thought was at least solidly good in a long time.

I bounce off of most video games: I wish this wasn't the case, my steam library is full of crap that I should play but I always just end up replaying Dark Souls and Hollow Knight for the millionth time.

I don't get the MLP style "kids show" fandoms... I don't have anything against them, and I don't mean "kids show" in a negative way, I just actually don't find those shows interesting and don't get the appeal.

I consider that 2016 movie The Nice Guys (buddy cop movie set in the 70s starring Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe) to be one of the best "for fun" movies ever.

I think it's a sin that Hong Kong action cinema (read: "kung fu movies") aren't more widely acclaimed in the U.S.

Um... I don't like Doctor Who at all, and I can't really get behind Transformers, TMNT or any of the sort of "toy/show" stuff that's out there. That's just a last few random ones.

EDIT: I unabashedly enjoy "classic" literature: Moby ****, Lolita, Pale Fire, 100 Years of Solitude, The Savage Detectives, Autumn of the Patriarch, Madame Bovary, all that kind of thing. I know a lot of people rag on "literature" and that concept as a whole, but I can't bring myself to do it. I really do love it.

EDIT 2: Ah lol, I didn't even consider that Moby **** would end up being censored by the forums. I'm innocent, I swear.
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2017-12-07 at 10:05 AM.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Reading, be it stories or "academic" or both, about vampires, ghouls, and/or other monstrous/supernatural cannibals makes me hungry--particularly in works where "eat it to gain it's power" is a thing.

And only reading or like, maybe low detail video games or animation--watching stuff like this squicks me out.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-12-07 at 10:43 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

- Mark Hammill will always be the best Joker.
    - I roll my eyes whenever I see that Troy Baker is voicing a character in a game.
    - I played Pathfinder a grand total of two times. Both were awful and made me hate the system forever.
    - My favorite Final Fantasy game is VIII.
    - I've played and beaten RE4 in every system it has come out at least three times, and I'm not planning on stopping. (It's a serious problem, help)
    - I watched the first two episodes of MLP:FiM to see what the craze was about. I didn't "get" it's appeal.
    - Having both read the comics and watched the TV-series, I find the TV-series Lucifer to be a much more enjoyable character.
    - I used to consider myself a very tolerant person regarding certain topics, but the way said topics have evolved lately and how media has jumped to white-knight them and shove them down everyone's throats has made me turn into someone people might catalogue as "intolerant".
    Spoiler: Nerdiest thing I've done
    Show
    - I met Vin Diesel once and asked him about D&D instead of the Fast and Furious films, which was the reason I got to even get close enough to talk to him in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

"... The revolution will be televised
    But just the part that we can monetize..."

- Shoot Em Up - Blue Stahli

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

I never got into Pokemon. A lot of my college buddies and two of my siblings played the Nintendo games and trading cards, but it just never appealed to me. I only watched a handful of episodes from the Anime just to know what it's about. That's really it. And here now I find myself with a daughter who is into the games. She's beaten a bunch of the modern ones and is teaching me the lingo.

Huh. So this is what my dad felt like when I was teaching him how to play Super Mario Brothers.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

*cracks knuckles* Alright, I've got quite a list, so let's get down to business...

More than 90% of everything that is or ever has been on Adult Swim is garbage. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are The Boondocks, The Venture Bros., Metalocalypse, and about three episodes of Aqua Teen. And maybe some of the anime they used to show back in the day, I don't know.

I loathe Rick & Morty; the fanbase as well as the show itself. If you ever need to torture me for information, I will cave within five minutes if you force me to watch this show.

I feel much the same about My Little Pony, though to a lesser degree than R&M. The only thing about the fanbase I really don't like is the way some of them change pronouns to incorporate the word pony. It's creepy.

I got bored of Babylon 5 partway through the first season and stopped following it. What little I've caught of the later seasons didn't grab me either. I can say the same about the X-Files.

I don't like anything Dragonball. I dislike it so much that I stayed away from anime entirely until my mid-20's, when I started to realize that a lot of anime has nothing in common with DBZ other than being from Japan.

From what little I've glimpsed of Naruto, it seems to share most of the things I don't like about Dragonball, so I've no interest in it.

Speaking of anime, I think Cowboy Bebop is alright but nowhere near as good as its reputation led me to expect. I like the concept a lot more than the execution.

I find it hard to take Fight Club seriously. The whole story is just trying way too hard and I didn't find it all that clever or unique.

I generally like Quentin Tarantino films, but Kill Bill part 1 was so bad I didn't even bother to watch part 2.

The only Final Fantasy games I like are 6 and 7. It's possible I would enjoy FF Tactics, but I haven't played it and I'm not eager to seek it out.

Halo, Gears of War, and Mass Effect do not interest me in the slightest.

I actually thought the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film, while far from great, was better than the comic. It's not one of Alan Moore's better works, IMO.

I find The Lord of the Rings enjoyable and deserving of respect for its influence on the fantasy genre, but I believe they have been surpassed many times by better works.

I read each of the Harry Potter books once and watched the first four movies. They're decent, but I don't really get why they're so much more popular than everything else. I also don't care about any of the further tinkering with the characters and world that Rowling has done since the end of Deathly Hallows. She's basically writing her own fanfiction at this point and I just don't care.

I cannot stand the art style of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I can't bring myself to play it or any of the other Zelda games done in that art style. They could be the best games ever, but it just doesn't matter to me if I have to look at that ugly character design.

I think the Mortal Kombat series has aged terribly, and they probably should have just stopped after the 16-bit era. MK Trilogy was the last game I think was actually any good, and the franchise was showing its age even then.

Stephen King is alright, but someone needs to teach him how to write an ending. Perhaps his son Joe Hill could help him.

Speaking of Stephen King, I couldn't get past the first book in the Dark Tower series. To sum up what I remember from it: "The gunslinger chases the man in black across the desert. Some people get in his way, so he shoots them. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum."

I thought Mad Max: Fury Road wasn't really all that impressive. It absolutely baffles me why some people think it's one of the best action movies ever. It wasn't terrible, but I didn't find it memorable either.

I also really don't get why anybody likes Tom Hardy as an actor. He mumbles most of his lines, except in The Dark Knight Rises where he sounds like Sean Connery with a cold.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... Hmm...

Having avoided reading the Harry Potter books until they were all released (I was a little too old to be their initial target demo), and being American and not a huge fan of the boarding school story genre, I think my actual favorite HP book was Deathly Hallows. While on the subject - the wizarding world has several inconsistencies and generally "silly" aspects to it that make it hold up less well than many other fantasy settings when considering the more grown-up tone in the latter books. There's nothing wrong with that, but it should be recognized for what it is.

I guess, despite being one of the poor suckers who had to wait for each book to come out, I still enjoyed the later Jordan-penned Wheel of Time books. I also got into Sanderson's books since reading his concluding volumes, but some of his touches are definitely noticeable in these (especially problematic characterization of Mat).

I like Kvothe as a character. The question of just how much of an unreliable narrator he is as Kote is kind of the whole point of the exercise in my mind.

I've never bothered with a Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls game. I mean, I have a lot less time for games these days as it stands anyway, but these seem to be ones that garnered large followings that I just can't be bothered with.

The same goes for a lot of popular, but I understand also very good, cartoons like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty. Just not enough time for everything and so something's got to give. I even really liked the first Avatar show, but never got around to LoK.

Despite being a fan of comic book superheroes in general as a concept, I can't be bothered to keep up with any ongoing monthly titles these days (or for something like the last decade, really). Too many crossover events; too many reboots. I borrow the occasional trade of non-superhero books from friends, but only because they're self-contained stories (even if they are ongoing titles like Saga).
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post

I like Kvothe as a character. The question of just how much of an unreliable narrator he is as Kote is kind of the whole point of the exercise in my mind.
    I haven't got around to Wise Man's Fear, because I have heard from pretty much everyone that Rothfuss has no plan, has no plan, Chandrian, Chandrian, but strictly based on Name of the Wind, I like Kvothe, too. Brimful of natural talents, but without the common sense of your average moth. It's a very intriguing imbalance.

I've never bothered with a Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls game. I mean, I have a lot less time for games these days as it stands anyway, but these seem to be ones that garnered large followings that I just can't be bothered with.
    If time wasn't the main concern here, I would attempt to shanghai you into Elder Scrolls at once. But as it is, probably best for your health to stay away.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

10. - Top - End - #40

PirateGirl

I don't typically seek out and select newer media. All the most popular things tend to not interest me for their own sake, so I primarily only see what other people think I might enjoy. Chances are probably good that I will not enjoy or care about whatever is popular, so I don't track big movies, games or shows coming out in the near future. I also tend not to follow new entries or remakes of franchises that I have enjoyed in the past.

Strangely enough, when games have one of those detailed character creators that let you make a bizarre looking thing and call it a person, I usually have more fun with that than the rest of the game.

On the topic of those, such things are usually found in open-world rpg games, which sound good in theory, but in practice... I can't really say what it is that leaves me disinterested, but there's something about this type of game which causes me to give up on them before I've played them for very long.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    The same goes for a lot of popular, but I understand also very good, cartoons like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty. Just not enough time for everything and so something's got to give. I even really liked the first Avatar show, but never got around to LoK.
    I forgot about Adventure Time. I'll add that to the list of shows I don't like at all.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I forgot about Adventure Time. I'll add that to the list of shows I don't like at all.
    I've never bothered with Adventure Time, nor will I ever. I have other things to do.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.