New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Proposal: Quiz on Forum Rules

What if, when making an account, you had to complete a short multiple-choice quiz on the forum rules?

It doesn't have to be a hard quiz (it could be filled with leading questions and obvious intended answers), it just needs to ensure that new posters know what the forum rules are (even if they only learn those rules by going through the quiz rather than reading the long-ish thread about the forum rules).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-12-03 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Proposal: Quiz on Forum Rules

Some example questions:

What is thread necromancy, and is it not allowed on this forum?
    A: The creation of undead out of clothes; it is allowed
    B: Posting in a thread that has not been posted in within the past 45 days; it is not allowed
    C: The creation of undead out of clothes; it is not allowed
    D: Posting in a thread that has not been posted in within the past 45 days; it is allowed

Which subforum should a thread about Pathfinder (a d20 system) be made in?
    A: D&D 3e/3.5e/d20
    B: Roleplaying Games
    C: Gaming (Other)
    D: Mad Science and Grumpy Technology

You made an awesome homebrew class for D&D 5e! What subforum should you put your thread about it in?
    A: D&D 5e/Next
    B: Roleplaying Games
    C: Gaming (Other)
    D: Homebrew Design
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-12-03 at 10:43 PM.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Oh, and while looking over the forum rules to make my example quiz questions, I think I found a typo.
    We also have a Special Moderator who focuses on the specific forum that were created just for the aspect of GitP he's involved in.
    Shouldn't that "were" be a "was"?
    "No" means "yes".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Some other example questions could be:

* What is double-posting, and is it allowed?

* What is the longest a user's signature may be?

John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Truthfully, I like this idea, as it not only insures that the rules have at least been skimmed, but would also be another barrier for spam bots. It wouldn't need to be supper hard or long, just long enough to cover the basics (perhaps the most common new user errors), and could definitely use leading questions/answers (Q: Which of the following is not a banable offense? A: Occasionally misspelling words."). However, I do foresee that there could be problems if it were made mandatory to pass in order to create a user (None the least of which is what to do with those who fail). Perhaps a "quiz" that provides feed back, but won't prevent you from making an account (just educates you on what you missed, with a link to the forum rules included). You would still need to complete it, but there would be no out right penalty for getting even a 0 out of X* (where *=the total number of questions), so long as you answered the questions.
    Last edited by kgato503; 2017-12-07 at 01:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

In my online classes (I teach online middle and high school math), I have an "Orientation Quiz" over my course policies. I encourage students to have the course policies open in other tabs so they can look things up while they take it, and I have it set up with comments specific to each wrong answer explaining why that answer is wrong and where they can go for information about that policy. It's multiple choice and they can take it as many times as they want, but they must get a perfect score to pass and nothing else in the class will unlock until they pass Orientation.

However, judging by the amount of questions I get over things that are in those course policies, I'm not sure how effective this is at making sure that people know what the policies are.
    Last edited by Algeh; 2017-12-07 at 11:29 AM.