Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: MY PLAYERS WON'T STOP SAY (MATT MERCER DOES THIS) rant with a question?

I empathize with OP so much.
    At least one of my players is always referring to Matt Mercer and the way he does things, and while I listen and even incorporate some things into my game, I hate always being compared to that guy.
    Also, my homebrew isn’t MM homebrew, and they get angry when I don’t conform.

However, the one time we let MMFanboy DM I took full of vantage of the “Cantrips as bonus actions homebrew Rule”
    It wasn’t pretty....

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: MY PLAYERS WON'T STOP SAY (MATT MERCER DOES THIS) rant with a question?

From what I have read, it seems like your PCs just have a combination of too much metagaming (complaining about enemies having resistance, saying that he can totally stay up for two days and be fine, sleeping in armor -which XGTe has rules for that now)) and not enough respect for you as a DM.

This is a game. It doesn't matter if out of game he can stay up for two days and be fine, this is a game, there are rules. If you're fine without sleeping for two days, pass your constitution check. You want to sleep in heavy armor? You'll get the disadvantages of doing so (and the advantages of doing so by having a bigger AC if you're attacked) regardless of how that players cardboard armor for LARPing is perfectly fine to sleep in.

Anytime your players level up, you should ask for their character sheets or at the very least what they took. You need to know these things so you can balance your game properly.

Finally, as everyone else has said, this is your game, your ruling. It doesn't matter what Mercer does. If they don't like it, they can leave.
    Last edited by Skyblaze; 2017-12-04 at 09:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Devil

I had a similar issue with my dm. He would change rules randomly, like giving ranged characters advantage when attacking prone targets, or would allow ready action before initiative whenever he felt like and the reason was because he was seeking quick resolution to combat encounters that he put there and never gave us the chance to flee or avoid it.

When you allow something, either give specific rulings about how it should work from the beginning, or don't allow it. Whenever you make changes on the fly about things that are well documented, you create a problem. And this is a big one, no one wants to spend a turn doing nothing, especially when you obviously have no idea about how well the class is balanced.
    On elves:

"They ask questions, they urge patience, they focus too much on aesthetics, on the unimportant bits. It's not a bad quality to have.. if you are my enemy. But well, I suppose it's not the worst thing that could happen. After all I've reached an impasse. Perhaps patience is what is needed now. And since I'm incapable of patience, I'll have them do it for me."

Gerald DeWitt
    Vengeance Paladin
    Order of the Mystic Dawn

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Your lizardfolk player sounds like a pain.

I have found that some players just like to whine, however, and that it's best when I just ignore them for the most part. Perhaps this describes your guy?
    Spoiler: To My Fellow Empire Players and GM
    Show
    I may tend to come across as negative, as I usually post when something is wrong or to winge, but I really like this game so far and I'm having loads of fun. Thank you everyone for making it such a great experience!

Quote Originally Posted by DM
    You are walking down the hallways following the map. You make a left turn, two right turns, step over a tripwire, and turn into a secret door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Player
    I turn into a secret door? Dang the traps in this place are OP!

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    Thank you all for y'all comments. Last night I was Angry and I just had to get it off my chest and I didn't want to do that to my players. The firearm reload was just a trigger that started one of my players arguing with me again.

snip
    Don't run another game for this group. Disband the group and tell them you're tired, you need a break from DMing.
    Last edited by LeonBH; 2017-12-04 at 11:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that you should either find a new group (there are always more people who want to play than DM, always), or have a sit-down with the group and discuss expectations. Complaining about the monsters a DM uses and the statblocks thereof really isn't the job of the player. The DM is not obligated to stick to the stat blocks in the Monster Manual. That's in the rules, it says right in the book you can adjust them, give them classes, and even provides guidelines on how doing so adjusts the challenge rating. Your players are being metagaming turds.

That said, you sound like you have some work to do on the DMing end, as well. Expectations should be set early, and you should communicate with your players about this rather than complaining about them to strangers. "Stop whining about rules minutia, or you will need to find a new game. Don't complain that you can't do things that you characters would not reasonably be able to do. Real people did not sleep in plate."

Also, you need to work on your formatting. When you don't break your text into paragraphs it makes it a headache to read for others.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, I hate to come across as a jerk about this, but the amount of typos and spelling errors in OPs post makes it difficult to seriously address this.

You came here asking for advice and help, and you can't be bothered to make sure your post is legible?

8. - Top - End - #38

OrcBarbarianGuy

I like Critical Role. I do not like the Gunslinger, or most of Mercers homebrew. It's fiddly. It feels like a little too much Pathfinder in my 5e.

If I want to play a gunslinger, I'll refluff a Crossbow expert Battlemaster.

9. - Top - End - #39

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    I like Critical Role. I do not like the Gunslinger, or most of Mercers homebrew. It's fiddly. It feels like a little too much Pathfinder in my 5e.

Word. Rules for reloads as a bonus action exist (though I personally favor Reload burning your Move). It just feels like the Battlemaster with a Gun does it better, though I may not have the final Version.

It sounds like your player's don't respect you as a DM, but it's your job to make sure you read their class rules. If you want to change something you have to let them know before or after the session. Changing stuff midplay is Sloppy and there will be arguments.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MY ******* PLAYERS WON'T STOP SAY (MATT MERCER DOES THIS) rant with a question?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I realize he is the DM. But there is nothing "rules-lawyer" about wanting the DM to play by the written rules.
    No, but you don't find games you like by harassing the DM, especially after the first session! That's like me coming to a party and complaining about all foods that don't conform to my special diet and pitching a fit during the party. Sounds like more then a few players are playing fast and loose with the rules, so this makes even less sense.

I'm on board with the plan of sitting them down and setting some ground rules. If that doesn't work, vote with your feet and replace your players. Especially if this is your only contact with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Before every campaign I print out a hand out with all changes and additions to the basic rules the campaign will have. Usually there is a provision that there is no homebrew unless approved. Also a boldfaced and in CAPS statement that in all arguments reality and historical precedent will win the argument. I don't pay attention to encumbrance unless I notice they are walking around with 20 weapons, a suit of armor, a full tent(you need a pack horse for a true tent), liquor bar, etc. The reality sets in. But I come from an era where the game was more theater of the mind and less stat for this and rules for that.

@ SKYBLAZE Love the LARP armor comment up there, pretty amusing and something I was going to allude to also. I actually fight in actual articulated plate armor. Even sca armor while usually metal and much more functional than larp armor, is not as heavy or thick as real armor was, no one is going to be fighting at an event with a bullet proofed breast plate for example. I have slept in my armor, but only after fighting all day, sat down and fell unconscious after pounding a few beers at the camp and the adrenalin wearing off all of a sudden. Woke up a few hours later with more than more my normal share of armor bites. On the bright side the showers were empty by then.

12. - Top - End - #42

I feel more comfortable saying this here, but yeah I sympathize with OP as well - to some extent. When I first DMd my players all followed CR and one was pretty fanatic about it. Drove me crazy feeling like I was always being compared. Ended up ending the game, there were also a host of other issues with scheduling and my own dissatisfaction with the game.

Honestly I think he should disband the group and start from scratch if he wants to continue DMing. I know I'm still on break.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Way of the Wicked: OOC, IC
    Surviving the Corruption: OOC, IC
    Blood and Ash: OOC, IC
    Crew Collider:OOC, IC

13. - Top - End - #43

You are taking a lot of flak here OP but I agree with you. HOWEVER you should always inspect a character to make sure its 1) Legal and 2) if its something you even WANT in your games. Another thing is the Lizardfolk... man do I have issue with him. I am a Powergamer, but I always get DM approval before I try to change something thats written. I dont stop games in the middle of Combat to Argue something either. Thats for after the session. Though I will say a sentence or two to plead a case for a better ruling, but then drop it till after. So your group has issues that ya'll need to work out. So I suggest the next session be a "Session 0". Ya'll get together and hash out ALL the rules yall are going to use. Check characters. Be civil and understanding but make it the game you want to run.

I dont watch CR at all but I do have a player in my group who does. He has the sense to not compare the two though.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    So I allow one of my players play Matt Mercer 's gunslinger. The gunslinger fired all his shot and had to reload. I told him it would take a action to reload. He said that how it works you can spend one of your attacks (not attack action but a attack.) Then another play jumps in and said the same thing. This last for a couple of mins before I Saud what ever and let finished this fight. We had 30 mins left for the night and I was passed so I just hand waved the hole fight. Because the hole gunslinger thing and my ******* powergamer rules Lawyer player was passed because last game he got druncked and abducted and is stuff was licked up in a room with arcane lock on it.

He calls me out on any rule he thinks is wrong mixing rule with Matt Mercer 's house rules. He's the biggest power games you have ever seen. And gets all pissy if I do anything to this Mary Sue ******* Characters. He say oh your a new DM.

I used to be a Critical role fan but my group has made me haste it.

So the question was how does the reloads work for Percy?
    You should probably add this to your extensions. You need assistance.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bkghlhen?hl=en
    My Characters:

Rai'un - Monk(8)/Warlock(2) :: The Westfold: Homebrew persistent open world campaign RIP
    Myrion Farcaster - Rogue (no levels) :: The Adventurers Code Vice: homebrew RP campaign RIP
    Pellanistra Tuin'tarl - Paladin (10), Rogue (1) :: Drow underdark campaign RIP

all the campaigns....they are died....

15. - Top - End - #45

Having seen how Matt's gunslinger works, I will say it seems rather underpowered as is. (an attack to reload, for only a tiny buff to damage dice, and the added in risk of misfires). The pro's don't really outweigh the cons. Heck, Percy just using crossbows would make way more sense and he'd do more damage anyway.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    No, but you don't find games you like by harassing the DM, especially after the first session!
    That depends. I had a GM once who was very open about two things, one was his houserules (relatively small, and meant to make combat faster), the other was that apart from them he wanted to run it essentially RAW. We ended up adding in a new skill because one player didn't realise it existed, and changing the combat houserules slightly because it rendered one of my skills useless (we essentially just noted that a successful Quick Draw check meant you counted has having drawn your weapon before your turn). Generally if you could read him the rule he'd agree to run it that way. But I have had other GMs who'd much rather you kept quiet about it, and one who knew the rules so well there was literally no point arguing, it would be noted down as a house rule already.

With regards to the OP, reloading a gun in a single action is bad? It's normal to downright generous in my experience, depending on whether you're using black powder weapons (ten rounds to reload in the system I run, longer if wheellock or rifled) or weapons with magazines (one action to reload). I once cut all Shadowrun reloading times to one action because it became easier. Throw anybody complaining about it at the Lamentations of the Flame Princess firearms rules, 5+ rounds to reload (4+ if using a set of 12 Apostles), at least a one in ten chance of a misfire, only as much damage as a crossbow, but very good at ignoring armour at short range only.

Okay, that's a bit extreme, but I do recommend looking at the rules just because they're a relatively good set of D&Dised firearms rules where guns have a place, and that place is not king of the adventuring battlefield. They're generally only worthwhile for opening shots when you have no intention of being stealthy, otherwise they're just loud and take a long time to reload in a system where most 0th level enemies can go from 'medium range' to 'melee range' in a single turn.

In all seriousness, there are two rules for a game:
    1. What the GM says goes.
    2. If the GM abuses the first rule the players also go.

So in honesty, you would be withing your rights for a character to get drunk (I assume they got a save) and have their gear stolen, but if it happens just because one too many times, then you won't be running games or will at least get a lot of complaining. Like I had a player who spent all their starting money on drugs (they went for an unarmed build to have more money), they came back after their first mission to find their home had been raided when they were array (because unlike them I did not think it was hilarious). Most of the players actually thought it was rather fun, setting up their characters against the police directly (it was Shadowrun, so they were already criminals).

THE GM IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. However, in an attempt to make everything run more smoothly it is generally accepted that if the rules do not mention it then we act as if they were.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your communication skills are making it hard for me to fully understand all of your issues, and I do wonder if that is an issue you might have at the table.

However, as a fairly experienced DM I have some suggestions. First, you're being pushed around into allowing homebrew that you aren't experienced with and you're letting players make choices that aren't based on the rules, but from someone that I gather is a youtuber. Why are you doing this? Cut it out. Say no. You don't like someone using some random pdf class that you obviously didn't read carefully? Tell them no more of that; use Adventurer's League rules. I've always done that and it tends to work great. Player's Handbook plus one more OFFICIAL book, and that's what you can draw from. If they don't like it, and you obviously aren't having fun, tell them to take a hike.

I really do mean that, and I know it may end your game. Sometimes it does. But I've found that if I am DMing for people that I don't mesh with, I am just going to resent them and the whole experience, and it's going to feel like a job. I was more willing to put up with that when I was younger (I get the feeling you're young) but now as I age and have more responsibilities in life, I don't have time for things that I don't get anything out of, and I get nothing out of a bad game with players I don't like.

That even goes if they're real friends of mine; "Matt, I like hanging out, playing video games and watching movies with you, dude, but we don't see eye to eye on the way we play D&D. For the sake of our friendship, I cannot continue to DM for you. It's a negative, trying experience for both of us." Huge min/max metagamer, real scenario. He didn't like it, but it had to be and our friendship survived until I moved away. Now if they aren't friends of yours, really tell them to get the hell out. Who needs to hang out with a bunch of people you don't like to entertain them? Are they paying you?

If you decide to keep running the game, you need to put your foot down. As many others have said, make sure they know you're not this DM superstar they're all in love with, and you never will be. They are playing at your table, with your rules. Also, may I very highly suggest trying to contact this DM and asking him in clearer English, please edit or have a love one edit your message before sending it off angrily for advice on how to handle your players? I'd think someone would possibly even answer that question on their channel if they do Q&A.

Finally if you do ever allow homebrew, even if you made it, you need to have a discussion with your players about it so that everyone at the table both understands it and agrees on it being allowed in the game. Otherwise, if you make a ruling that is supported by an official book, turn to the page, read it out loud, and move on. You're done.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MY ******* PLAYERS WON'T STOP SAY (MATT MERCER DOES THIS) rant with a question?

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    "I'm not Matt Mercer and you aren't being paid to perform for subscribers. Please respect my rulings."

The End
    Very much this. Matt Mercer's just one guy, who just so happens to be a voice actor celebrity. Who cares?!

Seriously. From what I've seen of his Critical Role games, yes, he is a good story teller and arguably fine DM. However, I dislike how much he handwaves the rules as written. I mean, sure, houserules are every DM's prerogative, but they are only that: Matt Mercer's Houserules. Not the RAW as seen in the official rules. Don't take Matt Mercer's word as if he was some kind of god. He isn't. What's more important, Matt Mercer's word has zero weight in any other table than his own.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-05 at 04:06 AM.
    My 5th Edition D&D Homebrew:

Politeness begets politeness, rudeness begets ... well, you get the idea
    Writing blue text written in cursive/italics is me being sarcastic or lighthearted, thus not intentionally offensive.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Very much this. Matt Mercer's just one guy, who just so happens to be a voice actor celebrity. Who cares?!

Seriously. From what I've seen of his Critical Role games, yes, he is a good story teller and arguably fine DM. However, I dislike how much he handwaves the rules as written. I mean, sure, houserules are every DM's prerogative, but they are only that: Matt Mercer's Houserules. Not the RAW as seen in the official rules. Don't take Matt Mercer's word as if he was some kind of god. He isn't. What's more important, Matt Mercer's word has zero weight in any other table than his own.
    Based on the interviews he's given, Matt Mercer would agree with you.

20. - Top - End - #50

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Based on the interviews he's given, Matt Mercer would agree with you.
    Very True. For one he's very upfront about the houserules the show uses.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

To be fair, before 5e came out they were playing Pathfinder.

22. - Top - End - #52

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jollydm View Post
    To be fair, before 5e came out they were playing Pathfinder.
    Yup. I can see why it happened.

In truth I would love to see a Bloodhunter that was a little more streamlined.

Edit: Or just turn the Bloodhunter subclasses into Ranger Subclasses.
    Last edited by GlenSmash!; 2017-12-05 at 03:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's a lot of disrespect targeted at you at your table. I would highly suggest that you take back control of your game. They are trying to make you run Matt Mercer's game, but it's your game, and you need to reestablish that.

When players argue, let them state what they have an issue with, and then you make a ruling and move on with the game. You will have to take charge and direct the game here. I recommend avoiding looking things up and spending time with your nose in the books to resolve rule disputes (this wastes everyone's time). Look them up after the game and keep the game moving. Spells are the exception here - we frequently have to look them up at my table. If they continue to argue after you have made a decision, put a stop to it, and say that you will look it up after the game rather than wasting everyone's time (everyone is here to have fun). The players have to trust the DM to run the game.

As DM, don't dwell on the minutia, don't take things personally. Keep the flow of the game light and fun. When you question a player's ability, instead of arguing, take the word of the player. You can look it up after the game to see if it really works like that if it seems broken. The DM has to trust the players. Even when I catch a mistake, I will sometimes overlook it to keep the game flowing.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Last time I responded to this thread was after skimming over the issue rather quickly, but now that I returned and read it through properly, I can concur with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Don't run another game for this group. Disband the group and tell them you're tired, you need a break from DMing.
    Moreover, when you eventually roll a new campaign to run, whether it is with these same guys or not, make it absolutely clear, that the rules must be same for everyone. No one should be allowed to make their own rulings when creating their own characters (like this lizardman's player apparently did/does). While technically being a hexblade who has another patron's extended spell list isn't exactly unbalanced, if you didn't know of this and didn't allow it, the player did wrong.
    So, I repeat, not a single player should be allowed to make their own house rules for your game (on their own volition). Only you can do that (although, if the group agrees to a suggestion, it might be worth discussing it, but only after the game).

In the future, be upfront that whatever your players want from their characters to be able to do, it has to come through you, the DM of that game. If they want to play some cool homebrew someone else has made, they have to show the source to you first and also accept that you have the right, as the DM, to alter or even revoke homebrews at any point of the game if and whenever you feel the impact isn't quite right for your game.

Quote Originally Posted by jitzul View Post
    it says on the gunslinger pdf under the reload proporty it takes 1 attack or action to reload.
    I honestly missed this part. That is a ridiculous rule. The normal rule to reload as either an Action or a Bonus Action is much better, and to be frank, I agree with this:
    I do not like the Gunslinger, or most of Mercers homebrew. It's fiddly.
    ...especially because they are fiddly.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-07 at 09:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

I pointed a fellow D&D enthusiast towards Critical Role to watch. He came by a few days ago, asking for a bit of help with his Monk. First time player, still grasping the rules.

I explicitly told him that while CR is fun to watch or draw inspiration from.. He should under no circumstances expect any DM to allow what Matt allows in his game. I also explained that a LOT of what we see is houserules at work.

I do hope he got the message.. I'd hate to have created someone that goes "But Matt Mercer doea it that way!"
    Upside: Coming up soon is this guy's first session, and I will be in the same party. I know a bunch of the rules by heart, and I'll be trying to lawyer the rules in a way that helps the DM. Be a second point for the newbies to focus their questions.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Last time I responded to this thread was after skimming over the issue rather quickly, but now that I returned and read it through properly, I can concur with this:

Moreover, when you eventually roll a new campaign to run, whether it is with these same guys or not, make it absolutely clear, that the rules must be same for everyone. No one should be allowed to make their own rulings when creating their own characters (like this lizardman's player apparently did/does). While technically being a hexblade who has another patron's extended spell list isn't exactly unbalanced, if you didn't know of this and didn't allow it, the player did wrong.
    So, I repeat, not a single player should be allowed to make their own house rules for your game (on their own volition). Only you can do that (although, if the group agrees to a suggestion, it might be worth discussing it, but only after the game).

In the future, be upfront that whatever your players want from their characters to be able to do, it has to come through you, the DM of that game. If they want to play some cool homebrew someone else has made, they have to show the source to you first and also accept that you have the right, as the DM, to alter or even revoke homebrews at any point of the game if and whenever you feel the impact isn't quite right for your game.
    This, so much this. It's why I refuse to let anybody play a character they didn't create at the table (at least when the campaign begins), because at that point I know they're following all the rules I'm using (which I'll generally bend and alter the setting if a player really wants to play something else). The most important lesson any GM can learn is 'have a session zero to establish the baselines, house rules, and expectations, with input from your players'.

I honestly missed this part. That is a ridiculous rule. The normal rule to reload as either an Action or a Bonus Action is much better, and to be frank, I agree with this:

...especially because they are fiddly.
    I'm just reading it properly (got it, decided I didn't like it after a skim, never touched it again) now, and it's insanely fiddly. My full thoughts are as follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -The regaining of grit points from attacks is just really fiddly and unlikely to come up, it would have been better to just give them a slightly bigger pool (yes, it increases nova potential, but a player who novas only has themselves to blame later on).
    -Quickdraw is probably my favourite ability, I remember when I made some firearm focused subclasses I actually gave one the second half of it.
    -Not overly fond of most of the grit-activated powers, but they don't seem overly powerful. Trick shot is just weird, if you're going into that much detail it shouldn't be limited to firearms.
    -Lightning Reload is fine, I actually gave a better version to one of my subclasses (which I'm wishing I hadn't now I look back at them).
    -Lots of times where you gain several abilities at one level, relies on multiple weak abilities whereas subclasses normally provide one strong ability.

The firearms themselves are, well they're a bad set of rules for firearms. Pistols have had the equivalent of centuries of refinement compared to muskets, reloading is extremely quick to the point where it almost doesn't matter (a peperbox loses one out of every seven attacks, until level 11 that's probably less than one lost attack per combat), and the misfire rules aren't overly fun. Worse, they're just a really bad simulation of firearms, representing none of the reasons firearms were actually used.

I do like my Outrider more, and might even ask to play it if I get to play in 5e again. It works around the limitations of firearms, they take time to reload and so the Outrider carries a lot of pistols. It's focused on a fast skirmishing playstyle rather than sitting back and plinking, but I could totally build a less mobile version if I wanted. But realistic black powder weapons have a rather interesting quality that simulates reality rather well, their longer reload time means that they'll be preferred by people who aren't trained warriors.

So yeah, fiddly and some weird design decisions.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJin View Post
    I pointed a fellow D&D enthusiast towards Critical Role to watch.
    Ugh. If it wasn't a ridiculous position to take, I'd put "have you watched enough Critical Roles to Come to an informed opinion about it? Do you hold any opinion other than it's total garbage?" on my campaign application.

The worst part is how it teaches players and DMs to be terrible players and DMs.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

To the people who say you need to take back your game, you'll be making the choice and 'risk' of doing it without your current players.

But unfortunately, this is a community game. If you're not playng the game your players want to play, then yiu're a **** DM if you continue to force your ethos on the players, if that's what they want.

I have a grouo that doesn't really play much combat, maybe 1/month in weekly games, but another that has done more combat in a month than that group in a year. If i forced the 'non combat' group into a series of challenges that were overcome by combat, they'd lose the interest in playing.

Suck it up buttercup, because if you continue to clash with players unless they play your campaign your way, it is entirely your fault. DM isn't spelt 'Gee oh dee'. They are in control of the dungeon, dungeon master. The rules are a community affair. It may have been designed in mind for general public, but that doesn't mean that the general public are playing your game (or they are, and that's where you're going wrong, Adventurers League is a blight on DnD). Adapt it to ypur community: the 3 or more players around the table.

Yes, you as a DM are playing too, but you are meant to be empowering the players. You are giving them XP. You are giving them challenges they are meant to overcome. You give them loot. When you get more experienced, you'll begin to understand exactly how **** the rules actually are, and homebrew and houserule will be second nature.

One of my characters has a horde of potions that never get used because the Action economy isn't worth it, and out of combat healing is efficient enough to sustain me more than spending an action I can do 30+ damage with than healing 8-9. Ergo, DM decided rather than having then go to waste, I can learn how to down then as a Bonus Action, and even going as far as turning them into vials of Healing which can be shot as an arrow, magically enchanted to deal only 1pt of damage (making them a risk on dying targets)

That said, if you want to ask your players, pick up the Tal Dorei setting book: there is a feat written by Matt Mercer giving the players access to Bonus Action drink.

With the new Drunken Master Monk Archetype, feel free to throw one of those at the party, and give them a skill challenge (3-5 consecutive days of Heavy Drinking during downtime after meeting him, Con check scaling every day, gold expense, potentially nonlethal bar brawls while considered poisoned) which the reward is the bonus feat. That way, you're putting your authority on the game, while being seen as beneficial, while providing knowledge to the players. In future games, they are aware of the option of healing with a BA, but also its cost.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Ugh. If it wasn't a ridiculous position to take, I'd put "have you watched enough Critical Roles to Come to an informed opinion about it? Do you hold any opinion other than it's total garbage?" on my campaign application.

The worst part is how it teaches players and DMs to be terrible players and DMs.
    I couldn't get past the episode, so many introductions about characters I don't care about. Comparatively I knew half the stuff in the Titansgrave introductory episode but it was still engaging, because I knew that this stuff would come up again. If it had again been just four characters I could have got past it.

I'm probably going to try it again just to see what you mean by that last sentence. I remember that I found Will Wheaton's GMing the weakest bit of Titansgrave, as the rest actually acted reasonably close to what groups I've been in have been like, and I eventually started viewing it as an example of how 'hey guys, I'm going to run this plot, do you mind staying on the rails' would go. It's obviously five people being paid to perform, but it felt more like improv, like the only one with the actual script was Will (I also suspect it was heavily edited to remove tangents and minor waffling).

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post

Would you mind expanding on this?

I watched until Matt runs a one shot (entirely off the cuff) for three new players. I think 10 episodes or so, something like that anyway.

I haven't seen anything that would make my players much more terrible. Perhaps I've seen some stuff that would make my DMing worse; I'm too close to the situation to be able to say objectively.