New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Is Multiclassing "ruining" the game?

Me too - since the 3.5 UA had it, or close enough with the generic classes (Warrior, Adept, Scoundrel, iirc) and purchasable abilities... but I guess no one cares in 5E...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I would love a D&D hack to turn the existing abilities into point buy, but it sounds like a lot of work and extremely hard to balance. I am a little surprised I haven't seen attempts at this before, and I've looked.
    If you don't mind it being an older edition, the Skills & Powers book did this for 2e.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That's interesting. One of my friends is into 2E, I may ask her about it.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    That's interesting. One of my friends is into 2E, I may ask her about it.
    General consensus among everyone I've talked to about it, both those I played with using it, and outside my gaming circle since then: very overpowered and abusable.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    General consensus among everyone I've talked to about it, both those I played with using it, and outside my gaming circle since then: very overpowered and abusable.
    Sadly I'm not surprised But hopefully it'd be useful for trying to create a 5E equivalent

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Why not just have a class less system, where abilities are bought like Point Buy? Certain abilities may have required levels, or require particular feats.
    I have yet to see a class less system that actually works anywhere near as good as it sounds in theory. Any one I've seen end up with optimizers cherry picking almost the exact same character. On the other hand, players that want to build characters around a concept frequently end up having to spend a ton of their points just to be able to function as their concept, without necessarily actually being effective with it.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm curious as to the appeal of a classless D&D.

Strong archetypes delivered through classes is one of the things that makes D&D, D&D.

Given that there are a ton of RPGs out there, why convert D&D to a classless system rather than just playing one? Where is the gain?

The move to a classless system is the major reason I don't like Multiclassing.
    Last edited by ad_hoc; 2017-12-10 at 07:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    Strong archetypes delivered through classes is one of the things that makes D&D, D&D.

Given that there are a ton of RPGs out there, why convert D&D to a classless system rather than just playing one? Where is the gain?
    This part particularly, I agree. Go play another game, or create one yourself, if D&D doesn't quite work for you.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

People want D&D to be everything they want and don't seem to realize that it is a specific system with specific goals and traditions, just like every other system out there. So people try to warp D&D with all these crazy modifications instead of just looking up a system designed for what they want.

I'm gonna play a narrative role-play heavy game with no classes! Great, let's use D&D!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    When I think of Moorcock's Elric he combines (in 5e D&D terms) attributes of a Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    The main problem with building characters like Elric is that he is very powerful. You cannot fully build him (or characters like Rand Al'Thor, Corwin, etc) because it would be unbalanced. Still, multiclassing helps you gather the right mix of stuff and you play up its effectiveness with good RP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dragon View Post
    I don't remember what Elric did specifically, but most of Moorcock's heroes are fundamentally mortal warriors, and their most impressive feats are accomplished with the help of the Black Sword or other items of power, technology, or temporary infusions of cosmic energy. Most are humans, Corum's race has all but lost the use of its planeshifting powers before the story begins. I guess Elric would be the exception if any.
    The way I remember it, what Elric does is:

1.-He summons Demons and Elementals who were bound by his ancestors. He can summon the strongest spirits from day 1, because the difficult part, binding, bribing, blackmailing or cajoling those magical beings into a pact was done by his ancestors, so all he has to do is to tell them "you owe me"

2.-He uses Stormbringer to cut people down. He can fight without Stormbringer to some extent, if he uses drugs or magic to make himself stronger, but he isn't that good a fighter without it.

So class isn't that important. Elric can use at least some martial weapons, has very low physical stats, high mental stats (well, maybe his Wisdom is not so high...), many skill ranks in Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (History), Profession (Alchemist), and probably has some overpowered inherited template that allows him to summon Demons and Elementals.
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2017-12-10 at 09:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    many skill ranks in Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (History), Profession (Alchemist),
    None of those things exist in 5e.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
    I have yet to see a class less system that actually works anywhere near as good as it sounds in theory.

Fate works pretty well.

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by mgshamster View Post
    Fate works pretty well.
    Fate is horrible. It is just a game of who can make up a bs reason to convince the gm that their aspects work.

Also, they only have like 20 skills, only like 8 or 9 that really matter and you can start with points in 10.
    Every person ends up being almost the same with a swing of 1 point high or low in the important skills.

Fate is for when people want to tell a story and nobody cares about rules at all.

If you want a good classless system try NWOD normal humans. Works perfect. Look to d10 systems.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

The move to a classless system is the major reason I don't like Multiclassing.
    I don't follow this. Multiclassing, even in 5e, is not nearly close enough to being a classless system for that to be a reason not to like it. Unless there's some connecting thread between multiclassing and classless systems I'm not seeing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

None of those things exist in 5e.
    Yeah, I forgot this thread was about 5th edition...

But my point still stands that, save having a lot of mystical knowledge, Elric does nothing by himself that requires him to have many levels in any class...
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2017-12-10 at 04:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I don't follow this. Multiclassing, even in 5e, is not nearly close enough to being a classless system for that to be a reason not to like it. Unless there's some connecting thread between multiclassing and classless systems I'm not seeing here.
    There is also nothing stopping you in a classless system from playing a particular archetype. Playing Skyrim, I enjoyed being able to play as a Heavily Armoured 2 handed warrior using Enchantment, I enjoyed being a Lightly Armoured Archer using Illusion, and I enjoyed being a Mage using Alchemy. I also enjoyed playing different archetypes, such as a Heavily Armoured Archer or Warmage, or an Unarmoured Assassin using Necromancy to raise Undead in people's homes to kill people using their own family members.

Not entirely sure why classless systems are that much different than a perfect system that has a single class to fulfil every possible archetype.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobard View Post
    I think part of my issue is that the build relies on grabbing Expertise, which is a legal mechanic that I find questionable, particularly when it comes to multiclassing, at least in terms of multiclassing for Expertise.
    Well, it does use a skill that the Rogue actually has on it's list, so it's not like grabbing Rogue to double down on something completely unrelated.
    I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain. - Rainbownaga
    The Warlock is Faust: the Musical: The Class. - toapat

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I liked it but agreed. I once turned a cleric into a paladin but stronger. It had everything a paladin did with a bit more spellcasting power. It was for a munchkin game I won't get into except to say two players wanted to play githzerai for the spell resistance, so I wasn't trying to be reasonable. I got greedy to do a perfect match so it cost me losing access to some magic item use, but I would have been fine not having the paladin HD and weapon proficiency if I actually cared about being reasonable for the game. There was out of game drama involved that contributed to my now infamous cynical contempt of tyrannical DMing and Jerk players.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.