New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default PCs using traps?

The title of this makes it kinda obvious but:

1) can PCs use traps?
    a) would this require some proficiency or check?
    b) is there a way to determine cost?
    c) can they make any trap they can think of? Or are the there limits?

Your input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: PCs using traps?

Depends on the scenario. If it's a trap that's already been set up they can definitely use it. I know 3.5 had a lot of rules on rogues creating traps with costs attached but I don't know if 5e has them. I would say anyone could probably make a simple trap like a tripwire or pit, but more advanced traps i would require some sort of check for and make them spend an appropriate amount of gold on materials.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Xanathar's Guide to Everything (bless its very name) has official rules for creating improvised traps using thieves' tools.

A character proficient in thieves tools can use them to create a trap using materials they have on hand during a short rest.

They make an ability check using their proficiency in thieves' tools and presumably an ability score the DM deems appropriate. The result of the check determines the DC to spot or disarm the trap.

The damage of the trap is either appropriate to the materials used, or half the check result, as chosen by the DM.
    If I don't say that I'm shouting, please don't feel like I'm shouting at you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Harrysonford View Post

1) can PCs use traps?
    Yes.

a) would this require some proficiency or check?
    Depends how complex the trap is. It doesn't require much skills to dig a hole and put stakes on the bottom, but if you want to hide it it'd probably take a check, for exemple.

b) is there a way to determine cost?
    Well, at minimum the cost of how long it takes to create it, if the craftsman has to be an expert or not, the cost of the weapon/poison if it involves one, the price of the materials, etc, should be included. Don't think the cost of the mechanims was mentioned in 5e.

c) can they make any trap they can think of? Or are the there limits?
    As long as they have the ressources (equipment, material, time, place, etc), that the trap is physically doable, and that they have enough in their ability/skill to attempt it without it being an auto-fail, then it can be done
    Your input and knowledge would be greatly appreciated :)[/QUOTE]