New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A monster grapples.... then what?

New DM trying to understand the limits of grapple.

After a monster grapples a target, then what does it do?
    For example the Glabrezu has two attacks with its claws with automatic grapple on hit. If it grapples a player, does it use the other claw to grapple another target? Then if it still has someone caught, does it squeeze and deal damage each round, or throw them on the ground so now they're prone too? Maybe it bonks two together cartoon style or uses them as new bashing weapons against other players. Maybe hold one or more still, and use its other hands to give constant punches to the tenders? Or do I pick one or more ideas based on what I think the monster would do?

I think it would be cool to have the monster basically take 2 PC's out of the fight for a bit while it pummels away at a third, but is that possible?

Maybe it's different depending on the monster?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: A monster grapples.... then what?

It holds them while other demons and cultists pummel them. Or drags them back into the portal to the Abyss it emerged from.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

It definitely depends on the monster, but also, perhaps even moreso, the environment in which you are fighting. Is there a dangerous hazard they can force the player into? When playing through Princes of the Apocalypse, I had one player get grappled and dragged into some lava. The enemy didn't care (fire immune), but the player sure did. That fight did not go well for the players, largely because of that.

Alternatively, maybe there is some ledge to toss the player off. Even if we are not talking a sheer cliff 200 feet high, a simple toss into a pit can take a player out of the fight for a round or more, especially if there is something fun nasty at the bottom.

Or maybe, as Naanomi mentioned, there is a portal that they can drag the player though. Not every fight need be to the death. A monster could surely consider it a win to capture a single player and then get away.

But overall, unless they naturally have some sort of constriction or swallowing ability, grappling for a monster is mostly going to be part of a greater strategy. It is not something you simply do for the sake of it. Taking away movement is not that strong by itself.

4. - Top - End - #4

Flumph

Grappling is a very 'tactical' thing to do

Since the benefits of it aren't really blaring

A Successful Grapple stops movement, and essentially nothing else

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

If a monster grabs you, you hope to Hell that the dm rolls lower than you. That's how I escaped death from an insta-kill from a t-rex. I rolled a 3... He rolled a two (no modifiers). Luckiest day of my life.
    Last edited by samcifer; 2017-12-04 at 09:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGirl

The answer is always the same - take them to Suplex City.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Then it trips you and pounds you with advantage while you're unable to get up because you can't move.

EDIT: A suplex is like a trip.
    Last edited by ShikomeKidoMi; 2017-12-04 at 11:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Grappling doesn't render the target utterly helpless, but otherwise sure, why not? If your group isn't worried about a super crunchy tactics simulator (if they are, why the heck are you playing 5e?) then go to suplex city.