New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default 5e DMG Magic Items Alphabetic with Prices

My son has been running 5e for a year or so. I've been playing D&D since Red Box, so I get asked questions about how things work. He ran into some issues in that he used familiar Pathfinder magic items and their effects when he created treasures on the fly. Now, things got wonky and I couldn't begin to really help him until I learned some more about 5e. Gotta say, it's a nice system. But when we tried to evaluate what the players had, what it was worth, so that he could allow some trades... we ran into some issues. So I sat down and built a price list. It isn't the first time I've done this. We did it back in the day when 2e didn't price items; we carried the 1e Unearthed Arcana around and used the old prices, making notes about adjustments. Sometimes, you just gotta know what something is worth. In gold.

Anyway, the list was manageable enough and I used a lot of Pathfinder prices; although hubby and I did pull out one of our 1e DMGs to run some comparisons. It was an interesting exercise, and I learned a lot about the "new" system. In the end, we created a list that I can use to reference items quickly and my son can use to realize the relative values of the items. Maybe he can extract a better gold/trade value from the players that are trying really hard to find someone to make their totally awesome, killer stuff. But, they got a way of just throwing stuff into the game, so who knows?

If you'd like to see the results of my work, you can get it here:
    • drive.google.com/file/d/1lO-lQAtIe_ZCixPGE__aeLmHxmJZiP-S/view?usp=sharing

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: 5e DMG Magic Items Alphabetic with Prices

I'm sorry, I haven't read your document as I'm currently on my phone, but I have to say: 5e's magic items, both in effect and in expectations about finding them, are very, very different from Pathfinder's, and to an extent the whole treasure system is, too.

Handling magic items and their prices as if you're playing Pathfinder most likely will result in a mess.

If you want, there are more precise rules about crafting, selling and buying magic items in the Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-12-05 at 08:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: 5e DMG Magic Items Alphabetic with Prices

Not really that helpful for most on this forum but Fantasy Grounds official WOTC content has prices.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!