Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

My usual OOC thread introduction habits fail in the face of a game where I'm asking you not to post your character sheets, so, um... hello! As a greeting, I suppose that will have to suffice. Hello, and welcome to The Lotus Blossoms! I'm pleased as punch to have you all here, so please make yourselves at home.

Your witty banter and/or complaints about Charm trees may continue uninterrupted here. My essays and soapboxes might as well, but please don't let that chase you away.

The IC thread has already been posted and may be found here!
    Please go ahead and jump right in.

-

Spoiler: Archived Recruitment Thread Info
    Show
    Image credit: Gworld on DeviantArt

The Lotus Blossoms!

You are Chosen of the Sun, blessed with martial skill the like of which has not been seen beyond the halls of Heaven in an age. Though still relatively new to your power, you have likely already outstripped the accomplishments of your Sifu, no matter who - mortal, Exalt, god, or demon - may have taught you the ancient, half-forgotten arts you practice. Until recently, you may well have thought yourself without peer, matchless in your strength.

But that was before the stranger arrived. He looked strong, tough, but no stronger or tougher than any dozen would-be challengers you’d faced before. But the way he moved, the powers he unleashed… his martial arts were beyond even your enlightened comprehension. You might have thought him a sorcerer, but… no, even his most fantastic powers blended seamlessly with his more traditional forms and katas, flowing directly from the strength of his own body and soul.

He promised you that you yourself could learn his impossible arts, that the potential lies inside you, waiting only to be unlocked. He could teach you, he wants to teach you… but he only has the time to take on one student. And you, he told you, you are not the only candidate, not the only one who holds that limitless potential.

And so it is that you have come to journey far to the Southeast, to a forgotten island lost within the Wyld-haunted waters of the Dreaming Sea. You have been invited to test your strength against those very few in Creation who could truly be called your peers. Only one can triumph in this contest. Only one can become the first Solar of the Second Age to reach the true limit of martial skill. In only one will the Perfected Lotus fully blossom.

The time is now here. The Tournament of the Golden Lotus is about to commence. Do you have power enough to shake the heavens? There’s only one way to find out…

~ ~ ~

Welcome to The Lotus Blossoms!, a shounen-inspired, martial-arts-themed Exalted campaign. In true shounen fashion, I’m looking to start this off with a tournament arc. This will include PvP elements, potentially to the point of the tournament itself being completely PvP if I have an appropriate number of players interested.

What does that mean for players whose characters are eliminated in the tournament? I leave that up to you. If you want to just have a fight and then move on, that’s fine, and if that’s what everyone’s most interested in, we could just run through the full bracket and end the game with the crowning of a victor. However...

If you’re up for it, I would love to have eliminated competitors hang around to provide commentary, socialize, hatch schemes against rivals, get caught up in subplots, what have you, just like one of my Japanese animes. If there are enough players interested in continuing to game together when we get to that point, the finals might go in a… different direction. After all, how many anime tournament arcs actually have a cut-and-dry finish?

Due to the particular emphasis of the game, as well as the PvP elements, character creation for The Lotus Blossoms! is going to be tweaked a bit from Ex3 and PbP norms. Please pay close attention to the following guidelines.

1.) Do not submit your character sheets publicly, through this application thread. PM character sheets directly to me. For at least the first-round matches, I’d like to enable the sense of surprise found in fighting anime, when an opponent reveals an unexpected ability. To that end, I don’t want the players to start out knowing each other’s capabilities in detail. You can introduce yourself with a description of the traits of your character that anyone could see (e.g. “Mighty Ox is a tall, broad-shouldered Easterner whose muscles seem hewn from ironwood.”), but please don’t give away your trump cards.

2.) Please use the guidelines for creating Experienced Solars given in the box on pg. 126.

3.) Please avoid Charms from offensive abilities other than Martial Arts. This is a martial arts tournament to determine who is worthy of learning Sidereal Martial Arts, and winning through Melee or Brawl or somesuch would defeat the purpose. I certainly don’t mind non-MA defenses (like Dodge and Resistance), or unconventional approaches (like taking social skills and attempting Talk no Jutsu), but Invincible Sword Princess and Indomitable Southpaw Empress aren’t welcome.

4.) The Martial Arts Ability does not require a Merit to access, nor does it require a dot of Brawl, nor is declaring Martial Arts a Caste or Favored Ability linked to declaring Brawl a Caste or Favored Ability.

5.) Martial Arts is a single Ability, but your character requires a Specialty in a specific style in order to purchase that style’s Charms.

6.) Your character does not have to be Dawn Caste in order to declare Martial Arts as their Supernal Ability. Non-Dawns can declare Favored Martial Arts as their Supernal Ability. This does not give them a second Supernal Ability, nor does this exemption give anyone access to any other out-of-Caste Supernals.

7.) Have fun! This isn’t an optimization contest or white-room battle arena, despite the initial PvP format. This is an anime-flavored superpowered martial arts tournament, like the Dark Tournament, the Chuunin Exams, any number of examples from the Dragon Ball franchise, etcetera. I want to see melodrama, esoteric abilities, heart, maybe a few explosions… not, say, eight identical minmaxed Single Point stylists duking it out to see whose sword gets better rolls. Characters who fit the tone will find it much easier to get stunt bonuses.

Rules for the tournament itself will be announced in-character, though I can go ahead and tell you there’ll be a no-killing clause.

I look forward to meeting your fighters! To make things a little easier for me, I ask that you please use the sheet template linked here.

Here’s a little extra background which might help you in writing up your characters:

The Stranger:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As an agent of Heaven, the stranger who invited you all to join in the Tournament of the Golden Lotus is a man who wears names and faces like suits of clothing, adopting new guises as they befit his needs. He may have visited you as…

- Caraba Denit, a patrician scholar who wandered away from his studies in search of simpler pleasures. He had a cherubic face, but a too-clever grin that hinted at mischief.
    - Dhanesh, a world-weary Tengese ascetic. The the tracks of tears were visible on his cheeks, and dust caked his gnarled, shoeless feet.
    - Bright Crescent, a Northern Lunar chieftain. He looked so noble in his furs of ermine, with a hooked daiklave of Moonsilver at his belt.
    - Laughing Oak, a doddering but jovial Eastern sage. He came clad in threadbare robes, and he tried to engage you in philosophical discussion before challenging you.
    - Or perhaps he came wearing an ornate mask and made no introductions, issuing his challenge simply by attacking you

No matter what face he wore when he challenged you, by the time he invited you to the tournament, he had revealed his true form. But… it’s all a blur when you try to think back on what he looked like then, wreathed in the light of his uncanny power. All you can remember clearly are his eyes: dark, piercing eyes flecked with a radiant green.

The Arena of the Sun:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well beyond Volivat, off the northern coast of the Dreaming Sea, an isle of brittle shale rises from a sea of rolling mudflats. Arcades of sun-baked mud brick stand to mark the heart of the isle out as an amphitheatre, and gnarled trees grow from the amphitheatre’s cavea, their branches heavy with apples, pears, hearts, and livers. Raw, untamed essence, suffused with the iron scent of blood and the primal heat of the Sun, rises from the arena’s floor (making it a two-dot Solar demesne).

Reaching that strange shore was the first trial the celestial sifu set before you, a sort of qualifying round for the coming tournament. While the journey is a trial which you have already passed, your success may not have come without cost or sacrifice. How did you reach the tournament grounds?
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: The Lotus Blossoms! [OOC]

Hehe. Pleased as punch. ^^

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey there folks! This ought to be interesting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

And Brown Leaf is pleased to punch.

Quick question regarding the opening IC posts: what language is being spoken?

Quick comment: I will admit, I was expecting an opening more along the lines of ‘Cha La, Head Cha La’, but that’s just me. I’m only glad it wasn’t ‘Step into the Grand Tour’.
    Last edited by Sticks; 2017-12-05 at 09:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Oh, the fun part.

Wic's speaking Rivertongue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Oh, the fun part.

Wic's speaking Rivertongue.
    Oh lordy. I knew I should've grabbed Strange Tongue Understanding.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The power of obliviousness and self loathing will see me through!

8. - Top - End - #8

Tuoni is responding in (very poorly-accented) Rivertongue; I'll edit that in.

Edit: All these Dragonball Z references I'm not getting...
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-05 at 09:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Haha, sorry, I’ll try to tone ‘em down. I just know that’s where Ascension is drawing some reference from.

“Cha la head Cha la” was the Japanese opening for Dragonball Z, an upbeat, silly and still badass theme. Contrast that with ‘Rock the Dragon’ The American opening theme, which used a pounding guitar riff and metal screams and only used visuals of the characters fighting, snarling and screaming to show how badass they were.

“Step into the Grand Tour” was the American opening for Dragonball GT, an already contentious sequel series to DBZ. It used annoying blaring sirens and an over-the-top Hip-hop track that was generally considered to be an obnoxious ear-worm of a song.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

It occurs to me that some of us might have met while trying to get to the island. Anyone want to be carpool buddies?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Some folk might've pooled for a boat, when they discovered they were all heading to the sane deserted island. Wirric isn't one of them though. He has his own method. ^^. I don't object to him helping someone get here but I don't think we were told about each other in advance, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if anyone else wants to have piggybacked on Ivory Knife's commandeered fishing vessel, be my guest. She wasn't especially stealthy while traveling.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Quick question regarding the opening IC posts: what language is being spoken?
    Dangit, I knew something slipped my mind while being super-tired and trying to finish that up...

Almost everyone speaks Low Realm as a shared language, and thus for the sake of convenience I'm going to be assuming speech is in Low Realm, and thus comprehensible to (almost) everyone, unless noted otherwise.

And then Valin stubbornly insists on making my life difficult as the only character in the group who doesn't speak it...

Quick comment: I will admit, I was expecting an opening more along the lines of ‘Cha La, Head Cha La’, but that’s just me. I’m only glad it wasn’t ‘Step into the Grand Tour’.
    Honestly my first impulse was to use this Naruto OP (inexplicable Terminator-homage music video linked), which is kind of a middle ground between shounen OP tones. Definitely lighter than what I went with, but more aggressive than Cha-La, Head Cha-La or, uh, Cruel Angel's Thesis. Then I almost used Limit Break x Survivor because Super has it on my mind and I love it.

But then I decided to try to use something that hadn't been used in any particular anime before, and given my extremely limited understanding of Japanese, the difficulty of finding J-Pop and J-Rock on Youtube, and the fact that almost all Vocaloid tracks are clinically depressed, I soon turned to English-speaking bands, ending up with what I used after... probably at least two weeks of off and on searching.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-05 at 10:58 AM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Haha, sorry, I’ll try to tone ‘em down. I just know that’s where Ascension is drawing some reference from.

“Cha la head Cha la” was the Japanese opening for Dragonball Z, an upbeat, silly and still badass theme. Contrast that with ‘Rock the Dragon’ The American opening theme, which used a pounding guitar riff and metal screams and only used visuals of the characters fighting, snarling and screaming to show how badass they were.

“Step into the Grand Tour” was the American opening for Dragonball GT, an already contentious sequel series to DBZ. It used annoying blaring sirens and an over-the-top Hip-hop track that was generally considered to be an obnoxious ear-worm of a song.
    No worries, I can always google them. I actually don't watch much anime in general, and what I do watch is almost exclusively cyberpunk (aside from occasional 'Bad Anime Nights' with friends). I do watch a ton of bad kung fu movies, so expect the occasional reference to those.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-05 at 11:10 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    And then Valin stubbornly insists on making my life difficult as the only character in the group who doesn't speak it...
    I am as ever the incomprehensible foreigner. #RuleBritannia

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, something I should've covered, since I know some of you are new not only to 3rd Edition Exalted, but to this forum itself. Since you need to know the individual results of the d10s in your dice pools to read them correctly, you'll need to use [rollv] tags.

[rollv]4d10[/rollv], for instance, for a pool of four dice.

That will roll like (4d10)[2][4][9][8](23)

You should also be aware that previewing your post after you've entered roll tags will break the tags. You can edit text around rolls after posting as long as the [roll#] result tags stay intact and in the proper order. Removing a roll in editing will flag your post.

I generally prefer that rolls be made inside spoiler tags. Given that both attacker and defender in Exalted are supposed to declare Charms (in that order) before any rolls are made, I'd appreciate it if you would nest attack rolls, as well as opposed rolls such as Rushes and Disengages, in double spoilers, as in the example that follows.

Spoiler: Charms
    Show
    I'm spending 4m on the Athletics Excellency and 3m on Lightning Speed to supplement this Rush action.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Dexterity+Athletics (12d10)[8][8][3][3][6][10][8][9][3][10][8][5](81)+1 success. I'll reroll 5s and 6s in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Ascension; 2017-12-05 at 12:09 PM.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we cool with using Read Intentions on each other? Personally I'm totally fine with it; you don't write all this backstory and personality just to have nobody interact with it, heh. But I don't know what the etiquette is.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Are we cool with using Read Intentions on each other? Personally I'm totally fine with it; you don't write all this backstory and personality just to have nobody interact with it, heh. But I don't know what the etiquette is.
    I'm cool with it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

In case you're wondering where Confrog is, he's a little swamped with college finals right now. I want to give y'all all just a little bit more time for initial introductions and assessments, so best case scenario I hope he'll find the time to post within a day or so, but if not I'll go ahead and announce the first match and he'll have to catch up a little while later.

@ pfm1995, Wic got 5 successes on that Lore roll to see what stories he might have heard about Tuoni while passing through Linowan territory. What do you think he might have been told? By Core standards, those 5 successes are... a very strong result.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I've no objection to using Read Intentions, though I'd not expect me to be doing much of that.

Spoiler: Lore Stories
    Show
    Tuoni is well aware of the Wyld Hunt and the threat they represent, but a white-masked traveler is hardly inconspicuous so some stories may very well have made their way through the rumor mill.

- He was accused of being a false medium and chased out of town after he claimed to speak for the ghost of a young woman recently murdered.

- During the journey down here, he spent three days in the Herb Court of Ren Shen, Queen of Ginsing.

- A relatively-minor and extremely corrupt god of safe travel disappeared without a trace recently, much to the puzzlement of the local immaculate order and his fellow gods.

- A company of Haltan mercenaries were prevented from fulfilling a contract after trying to cross a bridge at the same time as a white-masked Linowan.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Hopefully I did that right?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Read in tents, huh? Well, I guess that's ok. Hope it's a good book!

More seriously I'm ok with it in theory, but in our specific case, what could Knife get outta Wic since the two don't share a language? You need to be able to cite how you pick up on the info you gain with RI, right? I guess you could look for non verbal clues outta him, but I'm not sure what those could be used for.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Eurus;22638883]And let's try Read Intentions to see if we can glean what King Harnapuul's current motivations are. 2m peripheral (with HPM discount) for Motive-Discerning Technique.QUOTE]

The 2m vs. 3m difference isn't enough to trigger your anima or anything, but before we go any further I should point out that a very recent dev ruling (countermanding an earlier ruling) pointed out that Read Intentions, while part of the social system, is not an influence roll (a statement which is also explicitly made in Ex3 core itself), and thus Charms affecting Read Intentions don't get the discount from Harmonious Presence Meditation. (Nor do those boosting Resolve or Guile, for that matter.)

IC responses coming shortly.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Ascension;22638953]
    And let's try Read Intentions to see if we can glean what King Harnapuul's current motivations are. 2m peripheral (with HPM discount) for Motive-Discerning Technique.QUOTE]

The 2m vs. 3m difference isn't enough to trigger your anima or anything, but before we go any further I should point out that a very recent dev ruling (countermanding an earlier ruling) pointed out that Read Intentions, while part of the social system, is not an influence roll (a statement which is also explicitly made in Ex3 core itself), and thus Charms affecting Read Intentions don't get the discount from Harmonious Presence Meditation. (Nor do those boosting Resolve or Guile, for that matter.)

IC responses coming shortly.
    Aha, I see. Noted for future reference. Also, Motive-Discerning Technique is Mute, so I think it doesn't trigger anima levels anyway?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Motive-Discerning Technique is Mute, so I think it doesn't trigger anima levels anyway?
    ...so it is! Pays me to read half a Charm... Carry on.
    Braga avatar by Luci!

Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think you were aiming at higher motivations, looking for why he's here in the tournament at all, but the phrasing on Read Intentions when it's fishing for motivations says that it determines "what another character wants to achieve in a scene of interaction," and in the current scene looking aloof and untouchable is his basic goal. To find out more about him, you'll need to get him to talk a little more about himself. You are free to speculate on an Intimacy related to either his aloofness or his interest in Ivory Knife, however.
    Ah, I see. Still, good to know that he's not trying to put Ivory Knife off-guard so he can kill and eat her or something.

Then for the intimacy, would it work if I attempted to speculate that his aloofness stems from his beliefs about nobility/royalty?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default A suggestion.

This might be a little early as we havn't gotten to combat yet, but I'd like to take the group's pulse on an issue real quick.

As we're basing the thematics of our game on shounin anime and similar genres, a classic trope is the power/skill buildup. While it's often derided and makes no sense in pitched battles, characters squaring off against each other often will allow their opponents to power-up or prepare themselves in some manner, either because they 'want to see their true potential' or because said power-up is so amazing that they are frozen with fear/awe/respect. In Exalted an Exalt (or Exigent these days) powering up is assumed to have such an effect on anybody who did not anticipate it. A terrestrial's anima will cause mere mortals to pause, a celestial's anima will make a terrestrial flinch, etc. In this scenario, we have celestial Exalts against celestial Exalts, so our Animas might be impressive, but will not blow each other away (barring caste bonuses or other effects). As such, I'd like to ask for an informal agreement that if you are facing someone who is taking a turn to use a Simple Charm essential to their style, or some similar circumstance, you allow them a moment to do so, within reason.

Exceptions I can think of are in-character justifications. If your whole shtick is that you strike before your opponent has a chance to react, that makes total sense, and there are many moments in our inspiration media where just such events occur. If you are the type to attack while your opponent is in mid-'power-up-montage', make sure you can justify it as 'it's what my character would do', not as 'It was the most tactically viable move I, as a player, could make OOC' and be ready to deal with IC consequences, such as being ridiculed by onlookers for making a 'cheap shot'.

Full disclosure, I can think of multiple circumstances in which Brown Leaf could benefit from having a round or two where she is unmolested to use simple charms to gain a tactical advantage. I ask for this informal agreement not because I want that edge, but because I don't want anyone to get eliminated before they've had a chance to show their stuff. If Ascension agrees with the sentiment and would like to make an in-character justification for this, I'd be delighted, but I'm also okay with it being an informal OOC agreement that we individually justify in-character as we see fit. If we decide against this in part or in its entirety, I can cope.

28. - Top - End - #28

I think that's a good idea, but not really born out by mechanics. Most 'buffs' seem to be either simple actions and last an entire scene (for example, Increasing Strength Exercise) or reflexive actions that last for a single attack/action (like our excellencies). I don't know that there's an example of a charm that you'd want to use during combat rather than using it before your match starts - then again, I'm new to 3e so I'm probably wrong.

Of course, we can still stunt things as a power buildup.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2017-12-06 at 09:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Some characters benefit strongly from building up a bonfire anima banner, that seems like the biggest reason to me. Unfortunately, some castes get very little benefit from anima banner, so it's awkward.

Anyway, it sounds like more of an IC etiquette thing to me, to be honest. Ivory Knife would happily trade some banter and posturing (maybe trigger a flashback sequence or two...) before getting into the fight proper or while taking a breather, even if her opponent is buffing up in the process, but some more pragmatic characters might not go for that, heh.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2017-12-06 at 09:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Note to self: Do not allow talky character to talk if possible.