Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2017

    Default What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    I was reading this article about material robotics and I didn't quite understand it. Is it having things like toilets and shoes act as robots or is a robot that could gather information from its leg? If so, what could this field lead to. Here is the Wikipedia article for robotic materials if you need a reference

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_materials

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    I was reading this article about material robotics and I didn't quite understand it. Is it having things like toilets and shoes act as robots or is a robot that could gather information from its leg? If so, what could this field lead to. Here is the Wikipedia article for robotic materials if you need a reference

    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotic_materials
    Where were you reading about it? Was it a scientific journal, or a tech magazine, or a university publication, or something else? Have you tried to contact the author and say, "hey, this sounds interesting, where can I find out more about it?" Because that would probably be a great way to find out more about it.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Where were you reading about it? ...
    In the link provided...

    OP;
    Well reading the link, they are talking about theoretical and experimental materials that do more than just act as a material. What I mean is instead of a lump of metal or plastic that takes a shape and then remains that shape. These materials have the ability to do more than just have a shape (and strength etc). These materials can do things like "Examples for such applications include camouflage, shape change..."

    So, a robotic material that can act as camouflage might be something like a tarp or cloth that changes colors to match it's surroundings.

    Or a robotic material might be a type of glass that when you run an electrical current through it darkens (we have this today). Or perhaps instead of darkening, it all flows towards the edges and effectively "opens" the window.

    Or maybe a lump of metal that can receive computer signals to reshape itself. "Hey, make yourself into a wrench." or a screw driver or some tool.

    Or it could be the skin of a spaceship that can heal or repair itself from damage.
    Last edited by LordEntrails; 2017-12-07 at 11:30 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    In the link provided...
    Fun fact: the phrase "material robotics" doesn't appear anywhere in the Wikipedia link provided. It just mentions "robotic materials." So either OP mangled the title of the post, or he read more than just the one Wikipedia article on it. I took a gamble.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fun fact: the phrase "material robotics" doesn't appear anywhere in the Wikipedia link provided. It just mentions "robotic materials." So either OP mangled the title of the post, or he read more than just the one Wikipedia article on it. I took a gamble.
    Useful.
    Another Fun Fact: in the post itself he refers to "robotic materials".

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Useful.
    Another Fun Fact: in the post itself he refers to "robotic materials".
    Only in direct reference to the wiki entry on robotic materials immediately afterwards. Funny, that.
    Cuthalion makes great avatars. Like my Silver Dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It would be nice to just change the title of this thread to be "stuff about Jedi"

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: What is "material robotics" and what can come of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Only in direct reference to the wiki entry on robotic materials immediately afterwards. Funny, that.
    Thanks for wasting my time adding absolutely nothing of value to this thread. If you have no interest in actually helping the OP, then please don't waste our time proving how smart and insightful you are.

    @Maximum77,
    If you have followup questions. Just ask.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •