New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1506
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yeah, the Oblivion problem rearing it's ugly head again. Combat in F4 is... They were so focused on 'we're going to make the gunplay better' that they just had to show it off. (Personally I think they made it worse, but it's a minority opinion.) The actual combat comes down to a need to engage carefully. This isn't Just Cause where you can engage, get hurt, then instantly escape to heal. Exploit explosives and the wholly undocumented, but surprisingly useful cover system.
    I would say that the *mechanics* of gunplay in FO4 are better, but the gun balance is, if anything, even worse than F:NV, which is saying something. For example, there is zero reason to ever touch an SMG in FO4. None. A Pipe Pistol can do the same thing, with less weight, and using a far more common and less expensive ammo. There is zero reason for the SMG to exist in the core game. Even S&P is only marginally useful as having the Explosive trait pre-equipped, and is horridly overpriced all things considered. Unless you want to be a Water Baron,, using the river next to Goodsprings to produce stupid amounts of Fresh Water, it would take roughly as much time to farm the caps as it would to just farm an Explosive Pipe Pistol.

FO4 also has a 'The Draugr are training' problem, courtesy of the auto-leveling system. Even when you have no way of further increasing your combat potential, the enemies always do, resulting in an extremely 'hills and valleys' feel to your capability as compared to your opponents. You also end up with a 'bullet sponge' problem, especially as the game progresses, and most especially the Super Mutants. But when you can dump two clips into a common Raider, and it doesn't die... that's not really exciting gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

The SMG is simply a particular case. Automatics in general are mostly useless. Mostly because of the lack of things like Sniper back in F2 where suddenly that burst wasn't just faster to do damage, but also doing a vast amount more. Even just 5 luck was enough to make automatics instantly the most powerful weapon in your arsenal.

There's a thought. Alter Commando to make criticals stack up faster with automatics.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Firbolg in the Playground

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I hate Fallout 3's subway system?

Intellectually, I know that it solves two thorny problems for the Fallout 3 devs. The Gamebryo engine and its derivatives struggle when too many NPCs are in an area at once, so having one massive area for the DC ruins would be a recipe for frustrating, freezy, CTD disaster. At the same time, it means that the devs could expand the DC ruins; you'll note that if you were to take all the areas in metropolitan DC and flatten them out into one contiguous mass, it'd be the a sizable fraction of the rest of the game. Subways and impassable walls of rubble allowed to have a lot more content squeezed into a relatively tiny area on the map, while also having fewer AIs onscreen at the same time.

At the same time, when it takes me forty minutes to navigate from GNR to the Mall, and the only maps in-game are about as useful as wet tissue paper, it's a little difficult to remain calm about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    So with the Steam summer sale, which would people recommend: New Vegas, or Fallout 4?
    Given what you've just said, I think you'd prefer New Vegas. Mechanically, it plays much like Fallout 3, albeit tweaked to improve stability and give some much-improved functionality. However, what really draws people to New Vegas is the writing, which was done by many of the same people who did Fallout 2.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh Mall to GNR. I always just head for Rivet City and then go around the outside.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The SMG is simply a particular case. Automatics in general are mostly useless. Mostly because of the lack of things like Sniper back in F2 where suddenly that burst wasn't just faster to do damage, but also doing a vast amount more. Even just 5 luck was enough to make automatics instantly the most powerful weapon in your arsenal.

There's a thought. Alter Commando to make criticals stack up faster with automatics.
    Or just take Overdrive and Psycho--Automatic Combat/Handmade Rifles actually do deal more damage per second than semi-auto (at the cost of requiring more ammo), even when factoring in 4's damage reduction system. Overdrive gives you a 25% crit chance on every attack (in and out of VATS), and combined with Psycho you can put out quite a bit of damage with an automatic weapon even without relying on legendary effects. An Overdrive-powered Lucky/Photonic Agitator automatic Plasma Rifle might be the best way to run that weapon outside of a sniper or VATS build, too.

The SMG is still a terrible auto weapon and the Combat Shotgun is still strictly worse when in an automatic configuration, however.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

TIL another thing about New Vegas I wasn't aware of. During the weather station business I was running around killing robots and turrets with my mercenary grenade rifle. After killing the last turret I received a sabotage alert. I installed the upgrade as planned, and things seem to be going well. Then when I reach the entrance I see that the guard robots have activated.

So it seems that my last grenade must have done AOE damage to one of the generators, which is enough to awaken the guards even if I didn't go all the way with the sabotage route. Because as far as I can tell, the game considers me to have successfully completed the upgrade option of the quest. I even stopped to speak to the boss on the monitor just to be sure.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Could you not sufficiently science the terminal?

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Could you not sufficiently science the terminal?
    Not this run. Different build, different level. Also I've gained an appreciation for big explosives and figured the protectrons/turrets would have been easy targets. Wasn't counting on the sentrybots waking up, but I managed.

I suppose my default way of playing is to skill-check everything, but I wanted to go a different route this time. I was surprised by how many times you could substitute money for Speech checks. Considering how easy it is to accumulate piles of caps in New Vegas.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. Sentry bots are one of the very good reasons to always carry Pulse Slugs. Or 40mm Plasma Grenades.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

On a related note, I find the whole weather station thing to be weird, from a storyline perspective.

You don't even have to lie about it. The guy just assumes you did what he asked and moves on to the next thing. So much for not being blind and deaf, considering the facility in question is just beneath his feet and having it destroyed seemed to be really important to him.

From a gameplay and design perspective, I guess it keeps things simple. You get to complete two very different quests using the same space, and you're not forced into hostilities if you chose the upgrade option.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Caesar is repeatedly shown not only to be an imbecile, but an incompetent one at that.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Banned

All I know is that you guys keep making me want to play New Vegas again. And I don't have that kind of free time.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

For those who enjoy a non-challenging game of fallout 3, I made a somewhat simple cheating mod.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2018-07-07 at 03:56 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so, lots of things happening in this session of Raziere's New vegas:
    Spoiler
    Show
    First I did that errand for Mr. House. Went to the legion encampment, let Caesar assume that I'm here to do what he says, get on with my work, upgrade the Securitrons there, go back and let him assume that I did what he said. and now I have an entire army of Securitrons under the Legions feet ready to go and kill them all when needed. Idiotic Legions never thinking to actually check if I did the job.

So of course the next thing I did was plant the bug for the Followers of the apocalypse- and it was all for naught. great. Then I figure out how to kill Mr. House and do just that, using a Stealth Boy to get past his Securitrons and end him with a knife. guy is a withered husk. He seems to exist, but isn't truly living y'know? he is basically already a corpse, just one that hasn't stopped moving. From the looks of it, he was beginning to become part machine anyways, he'd probably just upload his mind to a securitron at some point if he really wanted to keep on going in some form, I mean, its not as if he eats or does anything organic anymore. probably would be more sensible at this point than keeping his body alive. I've lost karma, hm. Don't worry, I've kept a save before the betrayal so I can go back and explore what would happened if continued to work with him. the only problem is that I can't name my saves...

So then I proceed to upload Yes-Man to the Lucky 38 in his place and now my smiling servant control New Vegas. Which means I control New Vegas now. Its good to be the Queen.

Now, next I deal with the White Gloves, ask around, and soon figure out that some guy got kidnapped here. after some investigation, some Gloves try to kill me and I only survive because of a lucky sneak check to get some of my holdout weapons past the security. I meet Chauncey and he explains that the society used to be cannibals but aren't anymore, so I got to put a stop to that. I don a disguise, get a sponsorship then get in and kill Philippe that prick then get to cooking that fake human meat. Thankfully Int 6 or higher substitutes for good survival. then I expose Mortimer and they kill him in a mob, and then I go back, give Heck Gunderson his boy while not telling him what really happened because that'd be a bad thing for the Strip.

I let yes Man know of a job well done making sure cannibalism stays taboo. now I got only three groups left to figure out: The local Brotherhood of Steel, the Khans, and the Boomers. I've heard Veronica is with the Brotherhood, and the fact that they have power armor kind of makes them the next priority on my list.

As for the NCR and the Legion well... the Legion is going to get whats coming to them. while the NCR apparently won't let me help them if I continue to work with Yes Man. Thats...hm....I don't know how to feel about that. The NCR seem like good people even if the authorities at the top are corrupt- I mean what government isn't?- so its like, why you so against my smiley robot servant? Aren't you HAPPY that you don't have to deal with Mr. House anymore? I've got a robot army at my beck and call, I can help, and honestly I could probably figure out everything Mr House had anyways, I have 10 intelligence, I could probably equal or surpass his genius. so its like, your only shooting yourself in the foot here, NCR. I just took out like two threats to you: Benny and Mr. House. Sure I'M technically the threat now, but did either of them help power Helios One? No. Mr. House was too busy playing chess, while Benny's just a high class mobster, which is just a fancy-speaking thug in a suit.

On Mr. House's obituary:
    only hope of humankind? *raises eyebrow* I can think of a few other people thats on the same level of rebuilding things: The NCR, the Brotherhood of Steel, The Institute, something called the Think Tank, sure some of them are worse than others, but come on, I think the hopes for post-nuclear humanity are a bit more numerous than a single former Tony Stark lookalike trapped in a tube commanding his robot army for the sake of rebuilding a city of vice and sin that he can't take part in because he is basically a living corpse.

I've also taken Robotics Expert, because I'm a genius. I swear I'll get around to taking a perk thats generally useful and not stupid and highly specific eventually (like I dunno something to deal more damage against tough foes would help). I really need to start compiling a list of perks I want to take and how to focus on getting them....

so yeah, I'll be figuring out what to do about the Brotherhood of Steel next time. I think this has been a productive session.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Press Tilde (~) to open the console, then type save (filename), wrap the name in quotation marks for multi-word titles.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

If you talk with Veronica, she will express an interest in a fancy dress. The White Gloves, while deplorable in their habits, do indeed dress fancy...
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    For those who enjoy a non-challenging game of fallout 3, here is a somewhat simple cheating mod I made: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/23094
    When you said "non-challenging", I thought of only one, maybe two of those abilities your perk does.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    If you talk with Veronica, she will express an interest in a fancy dress. The White Gloves, while deplorable in their habits, do indeed dress fancy...
    I accidentally stumbled onto that when I had completed the White gloves quest and was giving clothes for her her to hold onto until we reached a vendor... her reaction was too precious.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    When you said "non-challenging", I thought of only one, maybe two of those abilities your perk does. :smallbiggrin
    You shouldn't cut corners when trying to reduce the effort required for success.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oh, is that what she's on about? I tried giving her what I thought was the fanciest dress in the game - from the Sierra Madre - but got no reaction at all...
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Oh, is that what she's on about? I tried giving her what I thought was the fanciest dress in the game - from the Sierra Madre - but got no reaction at all...
    Yea, you'd figure Veronica Keys's dress would qualify as a fancy pre-war dress, but I guess she's just a bit picky like that. Maybe she wants a classy dress instead of a slinky dress designed to show some leg for her sugar-daddy.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

I wanna say there's a mod for that, because it's improperly flagged, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

22. - Top - End - #1042

I wanna say there's a mod for that, because it's improperly flagged, but I don't recall off the top of my head.
    Pretty sure that the unofficial patch fixes that issue.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah. I don't remember the specifics, but I know there's a mod that let Veronica accept Keys's dress for that event. Which is good, because I don't see the White Glove dress as notably stylish. I mean, end of the world not withstanding, that is...

I have to say, I do love how they gave unarmed a step up in New Vegas. Not only did you have four different techniques that various people can teach you (some of which can be very useful), they added in Love & Hate, a powerful set of brass knuckles that have always been a favored weapon for me in the game. I've always been enamored with the "Bare Knuckle Brawler" archetype, a fighter that doesn't rely on big weapons or fancy martial arts to get the job done. Step 1: Punch 'em. Step 2: Punch 'em again. Step 3: Return to step 1.

Which is one of the major problems I have with FO4, to be honest. I hate that you have to turn your brass knuckles into wolverine claws to remain effective, and that the Sole Survivor only uses their right fist to punch. Just no elegance to the sweet science, ya know?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

It worked terribly when I tried it for my LP, but playing normally against Red Bear, going melee and using the ranger take down repeatedly on him will keep him down long enough to beat him into submission. I was too busy fighting, talking and not dying to get the timing right for it while recording.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Yeah. I don't remember the specifics, but I know there's a mod that let Veronica accept Keys's dress for that event. Which is good, because I don't see the White Glove dress as notably stylish. I mean, end of the world not withstanding, that is...

I have to say, I do love how they gave unarmed a step up in New Vegas. Not only did you have four different techniques that various people can teach you (some of which can be very useful), they added in Love & Hate, a powerful set of brass knuckles that have always been a favored weapon for me in the game. I've always been enamored with the "Bare Knuckle Brawler" archetype, a fighter that doesn't rely on big weapons or fancy martial arts to get the job done. Step 1: Punch 'em. Step 2: Punch 'em again. Step 3: Return to step 1.

Which is one of the major problems I have with FO4, to be honest. I hate that you have to turn your brass knuckles into wolverine claws to remain effective, and that the Sole Survivor only uses their right fist to punch. Just no elegance to the sweet science, ya know?
    Yeah, I'm thinking of doing an unarmed run after my first run of New Vegas. just put all my points into Unarmed, sell all ranged weapons and try to go to town on them...also Sneak. become ninja.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm maybe 10-12 levels in. I see why they made energy weapons available right from the start, but now they just don't feel like anything special, some are just pathetically weak. They also seem to have written a lot of the story with the assumption that you already know much of the setting and some of the factions. I get why, it just makes some bits of the early game seem missing.

The combat seems stiff, I'm not sure how much of that is my computer, me (haven't been playing much of FPS lately), if its just the survival aspect, or just the low level aspect.

Also seem to start out with a lot of stuff. I'm not sure how much of that is "the players can start out with any play style they want, so they need all the types of things right off the bat to choose from" and how much is that I have several DLC packs.

Speaking of which, on a first play through it is a bit off to have all of the DLC pop up the second you leave the door, it is hard to know what is DLC (and designed for much higher level characters) and how much is stuff to check out right away. I'll grant that that is just a new player this late issue.

A few questions/quality of life things:

Is there a way to do a quick swap set of weapons?
    What about setting any sort of quick heal or drug/etc?
    Granted the Pip-Boy pauses to do whatever, but it really breaks up the flow of combat having to go in and out all the time.

Is there a mod or setting to go to specific Pip-Boy pages with a single key-press? Such as I to go to items or M for map rather than having to open it to whichever page you were on last and switching over. It is a little thing but is surprisingly annoying.

Is there any way to see more information about weapons? The lack of any idea on range is a PITA and there has to be a lot of "hidden" attributes to weapons that would be nice to see.

Also is there a good reference resource for the junk? Weight is such a scarcity that you can't pick up much and the workbenches/fires are far enough apart that at least right now I have no idea what I need or can use until I'm no where near all of the junk. I'm sure with a bit more play time I'll figure it out, or the sheet by the computer, but I'm sure someone else has done it already. (not a way to see the recipes away from the bench, such as through the Pip-Boy, right?)

I know the Bloody Mess thing was from the originals, but it didn't really translate all that well. At least to me, the way people's heads just go flying off seems much more silly than gritty.

Also the kill cam was super annoying, I think that lasted like 3 fights before it was turned off, at least they made that easy to turn off.

I also found it odd that I can decide a group needs to die, kill them all (and not take any obvious Karma hits) and then loose karma for taking stuff off the shelves, but not their dead bodies.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-06-27 at 10:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is there a mod or setting to go to specific Pip-Boy pages with a single key-press? Such as I to go to items or M for map rather than having to open it to whichever page you were on last and switching over. It is a little thing but is surprisingly annoying.
    M is hotkeyed to map by default in Fallout 4 at least (it's been a while since I've played NV or 3). I know that Project Nevada does a bit of toying around with NVSE-enabled hotkeys, but I don't know/remember if they added hotkeys for specific Pip-Boy pages.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

All that extra gear is from the Pre-order DLC, I suggest Couriers were very well armed. There are two mods on Nexus, which let you reduce the message to a corner pop-up. And the other that lets you pick which, if any of the Pre-order packs you get saddl4

F1 is character screen, F2 is inventory, and F3 is map/quest log. Each remembers the page you had open.

Both weapons and medical supplies can be hotkeyed. Hold the selected Hotkey then click the weapon.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Speaking of which, on a first play through it is a bit off to have all of the DLC pop up the second you leave the door, it is hard to know what is DLC (and designed for much higher level characters) and how much is stuff to check out right away. I'll grant that that is just a new player this late issue.
    Totally agree with you there. For that reason, unless I'm running a mod that requires all Pre-Order Pack DLC .esm's to be running, I usually just turn them off at the source.

Is there a way to do a quick swap set of weapons?
    What about setting any sort of quick heal or drug/etc?
    Granted the Pip-Boy pauses to do whatever, but it really breaks up the flow of combat having to go in and out all the time.
    This is assuming you're playing on the PC version.

You have seven available hotkeys, which are numbers 1-8 on your keyboard. Strictly speaking, there's eight, but 2 is permanently mapped to "swap ammo types." In order to map an item to a hotkey, you just go into your inventory screen, hold down the desired hotkey, and select the item you want on that hotkey.

By default, F1 is your stats screen, F2 is your inventory, and F3 is maps, quests, and data.
    Is there any way to see more information about weapons? The lack of any idea on range is a PITA and there has to be a lot of "hidden" attributes to weapons that would be nice to see.
    Not by default, no. However, things are fairly self explanatory, with shotguns being close range/inaccurate and most rifles being mid to long-range.

Also is there a good reference resource for the junk? Weight is such a scarcity that you can't pick up much and the workbenches/fires are far enough apart that at least right now I have no idea what I need or can use until I'm no where near all of the junk. I'm sure with a bit more play time I'll figure it out, or the sheet by the computer, but I'm sure someone else has done it already. (not a way to see the recipes away from the bench, such as through the Pip-Boy, right?)
    Nope. If you have Project Nevada, though, its auto-sorter will label items useful for crafting as PARTS: [Item name.]

I also found it odd that I can decide a group needs to die, kill them all (and not take any obvious Karma hits) and then loose karma for taking stuff off the shelves, but not their dead bodies.
    It's Elder Scrolls logic. Remember, murder is a grey area, but stealing is always wrong. In fact, picking someone's pocket is objectively worse, morally speaking, than killing them and looting their body.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    It's Elder Scrolls logic. Remember, murder is a grey area, but stealing is always wrong. In fact, picking someone's pocket is objectively worse, morally speaking, than killing them and looting their body.
    I'm pretty sure it's more just a limitation in the engine/coding. The game doesn't know that the people who own those things are dead, so it's still flagged as theft. I guess they could go in and flag each individual item with a specific owner along with it's own karma and flags for if they're alive or dead, but that honestly seems like a nightmare. I'm sure their time is better spent elsewhere.

It's not like Karma matters anyway.