New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Yeah, because more nuclear radiation is the answer. Do you want Trog Behemoths? Because that's how you get Trog Behemoths.
    Even if Fallout's radiation is the kind of cartoony super-radiation, tactical nukes in that game are still not as heavily radiated as the nukes that destroyed civilization. And Deathclaws get lonely sometimes. They NEED somebody to tussle with.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Just as long as you don't deform the terrain in a way that allows the leftover contamination to escape ala the Sierra Madre's cloud. Stopping people from going to the Pitt is pointless if you bring the Pitt to them.

On the other hand, you know how people are. There's nothing there, let's go check it out! Hey, those guys never came back, they must have found something. Let's go take it from them!
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Even if Fallout's radiation is the kind of cartoony super-radiation, tactical nukes in that game are still not as heavily radiated as the nukes that destroyed civilization. And Deathclaws get lonely sometimes. They NEED somebody to tussle with.
    So.....Deathclaw Behemoths?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Now I kind of want to rig up a fight between Tunnelers and Trogs in TTW.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

You do have to wonder how the average wastelander even survives. The main characters in the series always have a Pip-boy with a built in Geiger counter, but random wastelanders must be wandering into seemingly innocuous areas full of radiation constantly without knowing.

Even with RadAway as part of the setting, the number of radiation related deaths must be astronomical.

With an explosive weapon, it's almost more efficient to shoot their feet than at their bodies. The same reason mines are so stupendously effective against them, with the carapaces being on top I assume.
    Hmm. I honestly never even tried shooting them in the feet. Does it really work better? I just shoot their little face hole. They're not dangerous in any sense of the word, and they're not like Deathclaws where crippling them helps much, because they can't really close on you anyway.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-22 at 10:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I'm talking specifically of Fallout 4's Lurks which have that huge Heavily Armored Carapace. It's very tough, but not from underneath, so explosions at ground level such as mines or from explosives mostly don't hit the shell. It's much easier in F3/NV.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Banned

Sorry, I'm talking specifically of Fallout 4's Lurks which have that huge Heavily Armored Carapace. It's very tough, but not from underneath, so explosions at ground level such as mines or from explosives mostly don't hit the shell. It's much easier in F3/NV.
    I was referring to 4's version. Maybe I'm just shooting them in the face out of habit from NV and 3, but they're still about as dangerous as a starving kitten. All the armor in the world doesn't help when I can just hop onto a small rock or slowly walk in circles and be basically immune to them.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

And Deathclaws get lonely sometimes. They NEED somebody to tussle with.
    That just reminded me of an image of Vault Meat and a "lonely" Deathclaw I saw on line once.....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tunnelers and Trogs
    Tunnelers and Trogs? Wasn't that a competitor to Dungeons and Dragons in pen and paper RPGs back in the late 70s and early 80s?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Tunnelers and Trogs? Wasn't that a competitor to Dungeons and Dragons in pen and paper RPGs back in the late 70s and early 80s?
    Who's a poor baby then?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, look I've been killed while 'safe' on a rock from Mirelurks.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    because they can't really close on you anyway.
    My old first play through of FO3 noob-self would differ.
    (I got better)

You do have to wonder how the average wastelander even survives. The main characters in the series always have a Pip-boy with a built in Geiger counter, but random wastelanders must be wandering into seemingly innocuous areas full of radiation constantly without knowing.
    Weren't Geiger counters something you'd find here and there in the first two Fallout games?

Speaking of the Pitt and nuking it, seems like Project Purity would of made more sense built on the river there than in the measly 1 rad/sec Potomac.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Weren't Geiger counters something you'd find here and there in the first two Fallout games?
    They were indeed!

Speaking of the Pitt and nuking it, seems like Project Purity would of made more sense built on the river there than in the measly 1 rad/sec Potomac.
    THAT river!?! That thing needs more than project purity to make it drinkable, radiation is a secondary problem for it considering it has caught fire on occasion.....

No thanks, I'll stick with the river that requires less resources to make usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Humans as a social pack animal have developed ways to tell each other of dangerous areas. This is called 'talking'. (Oh, and also radiation kills much slower than in the games but let's not try and bring real life logic into Fallout).

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

Humans as a social pack animal have developed ways to tell each other of dangerous areas. This is called 'talking'. (Oh, and also radiation kills much slower than in the games but let's not try and bring real life logic into Fallout).
    How does talking do any good when it's literally everywhere you go? "Hey, never go outside again! It's radioactive out there!" Thanks.

Plus, it doesn't matter what real world radiation does, because we're not discussing it at all.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

How does talking do any good when it's literally everywhere you go? "Hey, never go outside again! It's radioactive out there!" Thanks.

Plus, it doesn't matter what real world radiation does, because we're not discussing it at all.
    Because, at least in Fallout, it's not everywhere. It's a lot of places, but you can walk significant distances without getting irradiated once, so long as you know where the radiation is. Stick to an established path (like, say, the trader's route, which will take you to pretty much every settlement outside the city core) and you're fine.

Take Megaton for example. Want to avoid the radiation? Don't go into the pool surrounding the bomb in the middle of town. That's the only place you're going to get radiated. Yes, food and water are also radiated, but if you get some monthly treatments from the Doctor (which only cost about 50 caps), you can keep your radiation down to a level where you're not sick.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Because, at least in Fallout, it's not everywhere. It's a lot of places, but you can walk significant distances without getting irradiated once, so long as you know where the radiation is. Stick to an established path (like, say, the trader's route, which will take you to pretty much every settlement outside the city core) and you're fine.

Take Megaton for example. Want to avoid the radiation? Don't go into the pool surrounding the bomb in the middle of town. That's the only place you're going to get radiated. Yes, food and water are also radiated, but if you get some monthly treatments from the Doctor (which only cost about 50 caps), you can keep your radiation down to a level where you're not sick.

The pool with the people who regularly stand in it all day...soak their clothes...and then presumably track water all over town. That pool?

Anyway, my point was that most people won't even know if something is radioactive or not because no one in the Fallout universe in 3, 4, or NV has a geiger counter except you and the handful of people who wear power armor. Sure, some things are obviously radioactive and dangerous, but a lot of other things aren't. Camped too close to a car that's leaking radiation? Hope you weren't planning on waking up.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The pool with the people who regularly stand in it all day...soak their clothes...and then presumably track water all over town. That pool?

Anyway, my point was that most people won't even know if something is radioactive or not because no one in the Fallout universe in 3, 4, or NV has a geiger counter except you and the handful of people who wear power armor. Sure, some things are obviously radioactive and dangerous, but a lot of other things aren't. Camped too close to a car that's leaking radiation? Hope you weren't planning on waking up.
    I don't know. We never see a geiger counter, but they're common enough in Fallout 4 to be a call sign for the Railroad, a faction that doesn't use power armor or pip-boys. Add in that Travis from Diamond City Radio knows what a geiger counter is as well, and I get the impression that a geiger counter isn't an uncommon bit of adventuring gear. It just means nothing to the player, who has something better already.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #319

Or, of course, you wake up as a ghoul, because radiation in Fallout doesn't necessarily kill you. Or, you know, the car that is leaking radiation soon stops... because if I shoot a car, it explodes, and is radioactive for a moment, then goes back to background levels of radiation.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I really like Valentine and Curie. Piper is cool, Cait has a neat companion quest, Strong is boring and so is Codsworth and I wanna punch Macready for existing. Also Danse...exists.
    Completing Danse's companion quest line is probably the most interesting in the game. Although I liked Valentine's a lot, and he has good dialogue in Far Harbour.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I don't know. We never see a geiger counter, but they're common enough in Fallout 4 to be a call sign for the Railroad, a faction that doesn't use power armor or pip-boys. Add in that Travis from Diamond City Radio knows what a geiger counter is as well, and I get the impression that a geiger counter isn't an uncommon bit of adventuring gear. It just means nothing to the player, who has something better already.
    Three Dog mentions them in one of his broadcasts, too.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Three Dog mentions them in one of his broadcasts, too.
    And, of course, they're pretty available in FO1 and FO2. Expensive, but your PIP Boy in those games doesn't have one, so they're worth it.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quickest just to steal the one from the front office in Vault City.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Well, I excluded those games from my example for a reason. As silly as it sounds, Fallout 1 and 2 were a lot more internally consistent in a lot of ways than the newer games.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I excluded those games from my example for a reason. As silly as it sounds, Fallout 1 and 2 were a lot more internally consistent in a lot of ways than the newer games.
    It doesn't sound silly at all; it's what happens when people actually consider how a world works.

With that in mind, here's another Fallout 3 non-sequitur. After you take back the purifier, the Enclave starts setting up minibases around the capital wasteland. They do things like test new turrets, or trade water for genetic testing (with associated purges of any with mutated DNA), or set up a camp on the doorstep of the capital for their oncoming offensive against the muties, or to capture deathclaws for their experiments. All told, there's upwards of two dozen enclave camps.

None of them have food or a place to sleep, and the only one with water is the one that's giving it away to wastelanders.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

You know, it's a shame I had to stop my LP of F:NV, but unfortunately it got too frustrating.

The problem was that certain political views held by Dr. Borous were held as objectionable by the Youtube bot, and since they were broadcast rather loudly at X-8, there was a problem. If Youtube can't tell the difference between a character in a video game espousing negative views as a foil to be defeated from a live person who is spewing similar negative views as propaganda for that particular perspective, then I'm afraid I cannot continue LPing it, because I'd prefer to not have to contest every other blinkin' video's strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

For being anti-everything 'bad' Youtube certainly adores it's censorship.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, the video with my character discussing with Major Dhatri about certain of Cook-Cook's actions to one of the rangers also got hit by a strike I had to complain about. Because of one word. I think we all know which one. Youtube Bot apparently *really* doesn't like that word. And honestly, I can't blame it, if it was someone discussing that topic in real life instead of a video game.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, it's not censorship if I'm editing your graffiti on my wall. Yes, Youtube invites content creators to post content on their platform, but at the end of they day, it's their platform, and they decide what is and is not appropriate use. In effect, your free speech rights are captivated by the private property rights and speech rights of the provider. Also, you signed the terms of use when you created the Youtube account. If you really want to create a Let's Play over which you have complete editorial control, I recommend you build and run your own server.

Now I agree that it's regrettable that Youtube's algorithm and staffing isn't quite aware enough to understand satire, or metaphor, or even fantasy, but at the end of the day, the current obsession with remaining politically above reproach is the inevitable result of clickbait, soundbyte media. My only recommendation to regular citizens is this: Don't be part of the problem: Don't click on clickbait.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Okay, it's not censorship if I'm editing your graffiti on my wall. Yes, Youtube invites content creators to post content on their platform, but at the end of they day, it's their platform, and they decide what is and is not appropriate use. In effect, your free speech rights are captivated by the private property rights and speech rights of the provider. Also, you signed the terms of use when you created the Youtube account. If you really want to create a Let's Play over which you have complete editorial control, I recommend you build and run your own server.
    That isn't what he is complaining about. It isn't the fact that they censor, which should be a good thing all told for the reasons you just cited.

Now I agree that it's regrettable that Youtube's algorithm and staffing isn't quite aware enough to understand satire, or metaphor, or even fantasy, but at the end of the day, the current obsession with remaining politically above reproach is the inevitable result of clickbait, soundbyte media.
    That's what he's saying. As do I.

My only recommendation to regular citizens is this: Don't be part of the problem: Don't click on clickbait.
    Not relevant, and rather silly. That's about like saying 'don't get scammed'. The whole point is that you don't know you're being scammed until it happens. Granted, the savvy individual can generally avoid most of it, but it isn't really helpful to say 'don't click on clickbait' when you don't know which videos are clickbait and which aren't.

And furthermore, clickbait isn't the problem, it is the shock jocks out there that are causing this particular issue, who don't use clickbait to get people to watch videos, it's the objectionable content that lure people into responding with vitriolic ferver, not realizing that every comment, be it for or against, and every like OR dislike, adds to the value of the video for the shock jock. So really, it should be 'don't feed the trolls'.
    Spoiler
    Show