New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

Yep. If you're going with Gunslinger, I'd think long and hard about whether to pair it with VATS. VATS and Gunslinger is one of those nice minmax pairings, because pistols generally have a very low AP cost in VATS.

As Triaxx said, you want Old Faithful for your sniper. I'd also suggest running to the Cambridge Police Station and doing Danse's first quest there to get his Righteous Authority. Properly modded, you'll then have a quick-firing Righteous Authority to build crits in vats, and then an instigating laser sniper to get the most out of those crits.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

It frustrates me how many of the perks are centered around Vats since I have no intention of ever using it. If I wanted to press a single button on the keyboard to pause time and instantly kill any threatening enemy with no skill I'd just use the console. Vats sucks all of the fun and challenge out of the game.

I've got a few hours under my belt now, and I can definitely say that I don't like the setting or writing as much as NV or 3. The game also feels a lot easier than the last 2, and has a tendency to "gift" you nice things as opposed to making you earn them. I've barely done anything except wander for a few hours and I already have dogmeat, a suit of power armor, and a named gun that is one-shotting almost every enemy I face. Without even trying to earn any of them. I'm really not sure where the challenge or sense of progression is supposed to come from.

That said, despite my complaints it's still a fun game at times. There's just something special about gunning down ghouls in the ruins of a bombed out city while classical music plays in the background that not even Bethesda can screw up.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-02 at 08:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It frustrates me how many of the perks are centered around Vats since I have no intention of ever using it. If I wanted to press a single button on the keyboard to pause time and instantly kill any threatening enemy with no skill I'd just use the console. Vats sucks all of the fun and challenge out of the game.

I've got a few hours under my belt now, and I can definitely say that I don't like the setting or writing as much as NV or 3. The game also feels a lot easier than the last 2, and has a tendency to "gift" you nice things as opposed to making you earn them. I've barely done anything except wander for a few hours and I already have dogmeat, a suit of power armor, and a named gun that is one-shotting almost every enemy I face. Without even trying to earn any of them. I'm really not sure where the challenge or sense of progression is supposed to come from.

That said, despite my complaints it's still a fun game at times. There's just something special about gunning down ghouls in the ruins of a bombed out city while classical music plays in the background that not even Bethesda can screw up.
    Even my super gaming computer is just a little slow with Fallout 4 so I need Vats tremendously.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

VATS took a good swift kick to the nadgers in Fallout 4. They took a look at Bullet Time, and shouted Bethesda! And poof, now VATS is a cut rate bullet time that doesn't slow the game enough, or stop time, so you have to wait for enemies to be in the open or you end up just wasting ammo. They managed to make both Bullet Time useless, and VATS went from being too good to totally worthless.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

I;d suggest downloading the Bullet Time mod; VATS bullet time speed is actually slow enough (4%) it's just the lack of mobility that kills it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

VATS doesn't do that in FO4--it slows time, doesn't stop it entirely, so you have to think on your feet even while using it. Also, if you're sniping then you can generally hit enemies at a considerably greater distance by just shooting them than you can with VATS--even with maxed Perception your percentage chance to hit a distant enemy in VATS will be very low.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    VATS doesn't do that in FO4--it slows time, doesn't stop it entirely, so you have to think on your feet even while using it. Also, if you're sniping then you can generally hit enemies at a considerably greater distance by just shooting them than you can with VATS--even with maxed Perception your percentage chance to hit a distant enemy in VATS will be very low.
    It slows it enough to the point where the distinction is meaningless.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you're so amazing at the game, I'm surprised you're complaining about the lack of perks. I'd have thought you'd appreciate the challenge.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Well, if you're so amazing at the game, I'm surprised you're complaining about the lack of perks. I'd have thought you'd appreciate the challenge.
    I don't think you have to be very amazing to get through a Fallout game without Vats. They're not difficult shooters. Enemies don't even take cover or dodge. They all either stand still and let you shoot them, or run in a straight line right at you.

My complaint was more along the lines of "it sucks that half of the entire levelling system is completely worthless for my style of play" than "gosh this game is so hard without VATS".

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

It slows it enough to the point where the distinction is meaningless.
    No.

Try entering VATS, just as a raider throws a grenade. Now try cycling your targeting to that grenade and shoot it before it hits you. Did time slow down to pretty much nil, or did the grenade keep flying at you?
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    No.

Try entering VATS, just as a raider throws a grenade. Now try cycling your targeting to that grenade and shoot it before it hits you. Did time slow down to pretty much nil, or did the grenade keep flying at you?
    That's a pretty niche situation. You could just...not hit the button that freezes you in place right during the middle of a huge AoE explosion?

Honestly, if your response to seeing a grenade being thrown is to freeze and try to slowly scroll through everything on the screen instead of taking 2 steps to the side then you probably deserved to get hit.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I'm fine with games punishing you for making silly decisions. Vats still trivializes almost every combat encounter even with the minuscule nerf.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-03 at 07:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but with old VATS you had every chance of shooting a just thrown grenade and blowing up a group of enemies with their own weapon. It was awesome. Now? Between them not being an equipped item, and flying full speed even in VATS, that opportunity is gone.

As for getting frozen in place, fair enough but VATS defense is still a thing and will let you survive where it'd otherwise have been an instant kill.

Also, enemies have always taken cover if it was available, and they do it far more now.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

I'm not saying the changes to Vats weren't stupid, or that they don't suck. My point was about Vats making the game too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Also, enemies have always taken cover if it was available, and they do it far more now.
    I think we might be playing different games then, because they all pretty much just stand in the open and let you shoot them a solid 95% of the time.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not saying the changes to Vats weren't stupid, or that they don't suck. My point was about Vats making the game too easy.
    So don't use it for a lot of people I agree it's unnecessary. However for people who don't play shooters but like rpgs, vats gives them an entry point to a game that they may have otherwise avoided. The systems fine, your just not the audience it's intended for.

I think we might be playing different games then, because they all pretty much just stand in the open and let you shoot them a solid 95% of the time.
    Eh, I'd say 30-40% of the time, but I think the AI changes w/ enemies (at least that's my suspicion). But your right, none of them have great AIs. You're probably better off if you stop thinking about this as a shooter (other than, I dunno, Doom maybe).
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    So don't use it for a lot of people I agree it's unnecessary. However for people who don't play shooters but like rpgs, vats gives them an entry point to a game that they may have otherwise avoided. The systems fine, your just not the audience it's intended for.
    I don't. My frustration was centered around the fact that most of the perks seem to revolve around the VATS system. I obviously don't mind that it exists or that other people enjoy using it. I just wish there were more alternative perks for people who don't like it. Especially now that the skill system is gone and perks are basically the only way to customize your character.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-03 at 09:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on how you're playing I guess, but I see a lot of enemies dive for cover after I start shooting. Then again, that's a difference between pure sniper and close range loud and proud.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Not being terribly good at the clicky shooty parts, I greatly appreciated the 3/NV style VATS... while I can do a sniper shot ok, actual combat firearms appear beyond me except in the "See how much ammo you can send downrange." 3/NV VATS was more in line with Fallout 1/2 firearm use, and made it a lot more playable for me. My 3/NV characters these days either use shotguns or melee, I hate combat firearms so much.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

I have been playing and enjoying fallout 4. But the more I play it the more I come to think that there were no memorable companions on fallout 3. I mean Moira, Harold, Harkness... were cool characters. But companions? Perhaps Butch with the memetic tunel snakes rule (was kind of bad in combat)? Or hawkes by virtue of being a super mutant (was really late in the game)?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    I have been playing and enjoying fallout 4. But the more I play it the more I come to think that there were no memorable companions on fallout 3. I mean Moira, Harold, Harkness... were cool characters. But companions? Perhaps Butch with the memetic tunel snakes rule (was kind of bad in combat)? Or hawkes by virtue of being a super mutant (was really late in the game)?
    No, you're correct. F3 companions were largely bland. But I'm not a fan of F3 as a Fallout game so don't put too much stock in my opinion
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Fallout 3's companions were only slightly more interesting than the Raiders you were fighting.

Though to be fair to Bethesda, it was their first attempt. We didn't have any during Oblivion (except the Adoring Fan), nor Morrowind. The fact that they managed companions who could walk in a straight line is an epic feat for them.

@Mark Hall: It takes some significant concentration.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    No, you're correct. F3 companions were largely bland. But I'm not a fan of F3 as a Fallout game so don't put too much stock in my opinion
    I always took Charon, as he was supposed to be bland.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I always liked Jericho. Solid backstory and the ability to phase his hands through solid objects when smoking a cig were great.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Fallout 3 had the best version of Dogmeat. He was basically indestructible, but his damage was low enough that he didn't play the game for you. The rest of the companions were forgettable.

Fallout NV had several interesting companions. I liked Boone a lot, even though he made the game easy.

None of the companions in 4 have really grabbed me yet. So far I've run across Piper, Codsworth, Dogmeat, Cait, Valentine, and Danse. They all seem pretty bland and mostly useless. Danse seems like the only one that's actually useful in combat, and Valentine is the only one whose story I find useful so far.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I really liked Danse when they did the reveal, but then hated how he reacted to the reveal. So for about one mission he was cool.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I really liked Danse when they did the reveal, but then hated how he reacted to the reveal. So for about one mission he was cool.
    I'm not that far along yet so maybe some of these stories will pick up.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Fallout 3 had the best version of Dogmeat. He was basically indestructible, but his damage was low enough that he didn't play the game for you. The rest of the companions were forgettable.
    Worst part is, Dogmeat's (and Fawkes') immense health pools were a glitch.

None of the companions in 4 have really grabbed me yet. So far I've run across Piper, Codsworth, Dogmeat, Cait, Valentine, and Danse. They all seem pretty bland and mostly useless. Danse seems like the only one that's actually useful in combat, and Valentine is the only one whose story I find useful so far.
    I really like Valentine and Curie. Piper is cool, Cait has a neat companion quest, Strong is boring and so is Codsworth and I wanna punch Macready for existing. Also Danse...exists.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

So what mods do people suggest? Something to fix the atrocious AI would be nice. It's pretty frustrating to watch my companion literally stare at me and ignore the enemy pumping bullets into them just because I happened to crouch during a firefight.

Also, why is the AI in this game so much worse than New Vegas? I know it's a Bethesda game and their AI has always been a joke, but it's egregiously bad in this game even for them.

Most of the top mods I'm seeing in the nexus are just cringey nudity mods or completely overpowered weapons and armor with very little actual content. Or settlement mods which I have very little interest in. At least not yet.

Edit: One more question. I remember people saying you were locked out of a lot of content until you progressed the main quest to a certain point. Without too many major spoilers, how far along is that?
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-04 at 07:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

About two hours in if you stick straight to the story line and manage not to get lost in Boston. Another hour if you're interested in working for the bad guys.

Mods... okay, so for the initial run, I'd only suggest a couple:

10mm SMG A weapon that was mysteriously missing from F4 restored now with blisteringly High-Res Textures if you want.

Achievements Allows achievements even if you're modded. Optional, and only if you care about those.

Companions Go Home Let's you send companions back to their original home bases, like Piper back to her sister at the paper, or alternately send any companion to Home Plate.

Darker Pipe Weapons Replaces the shiny orange rust with something less eye injuring.

Everyone's Best Friend Let's you have Dogmeat plus a companion.

Unobtrusive XP Gain Sound Because otherwise it will drive you mad.

Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch Because it's a Bethesda game.

So that's the mods I'd suggest for the first play through, nothing over powered, nothing that might break the game. And nothing that will detract from the 'vanilla' feeling a first playthrough should have.

If you hang around long enough for the second playthrough:

Armorsmith Extended Because Bethesda's idea of 'Balance' is restricting what can go where and only allowing certain stuff under armor. This can get overpowered, but gloriously so. Also it has a non-power armor jetpack, which will kill you a couple of times and that's awesome.

Assaultron Helmet with Glasses There's more than enough room as the mod evidences and the helmet looks awesome, so why wasn't this vanilla?

Vibrant and More Sharp DLC Robots Better colors on the Automatron robots. Totally visual, totally worth it.

Tidy Settlers Adds a trash bin you can assign settlers to to clean up leaves, vines, grass and shrubs too small to workshop. Just makes things look nicer, immersively.

Salvage Beacons Make those lazy settlers work for you by sending them to haul back your multiple tons of junk.

Targeting HUD and Berry Mentats Fix Stops it from making everyone hostile, as well as sorts between friends and foes and finds dead bodies. Plus holstering your weapon makes it turn off.

Angry Artillery Because the basic artillery is wimpy.

Better Artillery Signal Flares Fixes a distance issue so the grenade doesn't require you be danger close when calling for artillery, I'm using the vanilla weight version but there are a couple options.

I'm certain others will have suggestions, but these are mine.

Also, Curie, Cait and Ada are the absolute best companions. (Except of course for Dogmeat.)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

I just found Kellogg, so I'm still pretty early in the game from a main quest perspective. I've also heard you can lock yourself out of quests if you advance too quickly, which is pretty irritating as well.

The Fallout 4 unofficial patch was the first one I ever downloaded, but it breaks my game for some reason. It can't be a conflict because it's the only patch I had, so I don't know why it happened, and I don't think any of the bugs are annoying enough to bother trying to figure it out.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

The Fallout 4 unofficial patch was the first one I ever downloaded, but it breaks my game for some reason. It can't be a conflict because it's the only patch I had, so I don't know why it happened, and I don't think any of the bugs are annoying enough to bother trying to figure it out.
    The game's amazingly stable, I've never felt the need.

Mods in no particular order and not duplicating above mentioned mods (disregarding settlement building mods). Sorry, too lazy to go get you links atm, but if you need help finding any let me know and I'll help.

Concealed Armors: because you want to look like you belong in a scavenged wasteland and not like some heavily armored....person.....but still want the heavily armored protection.

Combat Helmet Illumination: it has a freaking light on it, it should be working.

Eli's Armor Compendium: more things to wear/craft, look pretty good, make you more customizable. If you like that sort of thing.

If you want a more sci-fi like wasteland consider CROSS Jetpack (because Jetpacks are fun) and West Tek Tactical Optics.

Companion Infinite Ammo: you don't really want to worry about micromanaging your companions ammo, right?

Craftable Armor Size: just another way to mod your armor, seemed silly you can't normally change the light/medium/heavy set on it.

Atomic Radio and Tales from the Commonwealth: great mod to add more quests to the game and a radio station, all of which fit well with the world and flavor.

(other quest mods if you're interested: Fusion City Rising, Outcasts and Remnants, Prelude to Vault 273. There's also Maxwells World which is really buggy but is well done if you have the patients. I got annoyed with it though).

More Where That Came From: more songs on the radio.

Laser Bolt FX Fallout 4 edition: better laser effect, the normal beam style is kind of silly imo.

Lowered Weapons: Because you don't normally point your gun at everyone you meet, while you're talking to them,....do you?

In addition to the above mentioned 10mm SMG (get it) there's also:
    Classic Super Sledge
    .223 Pistol AKA That Gun
    Fallout 3 - 10mm Pistol - N99 10m Pistol (because the F4 10mm looks stupid)
    Cut Weapon Mods Restored
    Extended weapon mods
    Wasteland Melody's Service Rifle
    M82a3 AMR

None of these are especially powerful and they're all fairly in touch with weapons which otherwise exist within the Fallout Universe.

If you want to talk settlement mods just say the word.