New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout VIII: Another Thread Needs Your Help General

I have, and it can be fun, but the thing I hate most is the Stupid Laser Musket. Every so often it'll flat out miss, even as you watch the beam pass straight through the enemy face. It's depressing.

T-45 is interesting. It doesn't really have any legendary set pieces, but the Piezo Chest piece can be really handy in certain situations. I personally prefer T-60 myself, but T-45 is still plenty tough when maxed out.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Don't think of it as that. Think of it more as a build your own base with customizable staff.
    Settlements were what gave me most of the fun I had in my (stupidly huge) amount of time played. What I found to be an insulting waste of time was the attempt at a main plot...

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Why does it seem like most companions can't hit the broad side of a barn, but Danse is actually (somewhat) useful? Don't they use the same AI? I suppose it must just be weapon choice.
    Weapon type makes a huge difference, since there's nothing resembling weapon balance in FO4. Sadly, they only get unlimited ammo for their default gun, so giving them something better means micromanagement unless you mod. The companions also vary massively in effectiveness for other reasons. For instance, Curie, one of the most interesting characters in the game, has horrible base stats (straight 4s in SPECIAL, where the other companions usually have a couple of stats of 12 or higher), and when she gets her upgrade, she doesn't get new AI to go with it, leaving her buggy as hell.

The companions aren't a total afterthought like in FO3, though, so they have pretty good quest chains. I'm told Danse gets the best one, but his missions bugged out for me and became impossible to progress, so I haven't seen for myself...

Also, I'm certain that in a better written Fallout, there would have been a storyline option to oust Elder Maxson and place Danse in charge of the BoS division in the commonwealth.

Though they probably wouldn't have titled it Danse Revolution, despite that clearly being the right name.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

You've been lied to. Nick has the best of all possible questlines, plus a DLC. Cait's is also both epic and heartwarming.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

You've been lied to. Nick has the best of all possible questlines, plus a DLC. Cait's is also both epic and heartwarming.
    Interesting. I've never actually had Cait as a companion because she seems to be one of the ones that would absolutely hate the way I play the game, so she'd never get friendly enough to do her personal quest anyway. If I ever reinstall FO4 I might have to change that.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Cait likes you killing people. Unless you're a pacifist, Cait will love you.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Interesting. I've never actually had Cait as a companion because she seems to be one of the ones that would absolutely hate the way I play the game, so she'd never get friendly enough to do her personal quest anyway. If I ever reinstall FO4 I might have to change that.
    They all give up their personal quest after a long enough duration anyway. Just walking across the Commonwealth enough with them accompanying you is enough, as long as you keep at it for long enough.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Is it weird that I liked Nick's side quest but ironically the delivery felt too....robotic to me? His mind is still human, his emotions real. But - at least in the German voice acting - he doesn't sound emotionally invested. And contrary to popular belief, German voices have a range greater than incredible anger.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Which I think is amusing because that stereotypically angry German voice would fit the quest well.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Banned

So I was messing around with the noclip function earlier and I found a random legendary deathclaw in a completely sealed cavern underground. He dropped a randomly generated legendary sniper rifle too, but I didn't loot it because I felt like it was a cheaty way to get one. I wonder how much other random stuff is in the game like this that you'd never see normally.

Or maybe I accidentally subverted a part of a quest and he'd have popped up later after something cleared that part of ground out.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-07 at 02:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

So I was messing around with the noclip function earlier and I found a random legendary deathclaw in a completely sealed cavern underground. He dropped a randomly generated legendary sniper rifle too, but I didn't loot it because I felt like it was a cheaty way to get one. I wonder how much other random stuff is in the game like this that you'd never see normally.

Or maybe I accidentally subverted a part of a quest and he'd have popped up later after something cleared that part of ground out.
    Where were you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Vault 88. I looked it up on Google, and it does look like he's supposed to be there, but the cavern I found him in wasn't in an area you can walk to, and none of the walls were diggable from the workshop...at least not from the inside. Maybe I was supposed to dig my way in there from the outside using the workshop?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vault 88. I looked it up on Google, and it does look like he's supposed to be there, but the cavern I found him in wasn't in an area you can walk to, and none of the walls were diggable from the workshop...at least not from the inside. Maybe I was supposed to dig my way in there from the outside using the workshop?
    Did you restore function to the auxiliary workbenches? There are numerous side tunnels in 88 that you can only access by extending the workshop zones.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Did you restore function to the auxiliary workbenches? There are numerous side tunnels in 88 that you can only access by extending the workshop zones.
    Yeah. I loaded up an older save and figured it out. I was supposed to dig through that wall. The confusion was just because I was coming at it from the wrong direction due to having noclip on since I was bored of the area, thought everything was already cleared, and don't care about building things at all in this game.

I decided to leave and come back later when I'm a higher level so the deathclaw will be a stronger version. Hopefully he's not locked into my current level.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2018-01-07 at 03:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Is it just me, or does the difficulty of survival mode really start to drop off around level 40?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Is it just me, or does the difficulty of survival mode really start to drop off around level 40?
    I really only thought it was hard for about 10-15 levels. Once you stumble across a decent gun and some power armor the difficulty drops from hard to tedious. Power armor basically eliminates the fear of randomly getting killed by an enemy with no chance to respond. Food, water, and beds were basically never an issue anyway so the only real difference is that you have to walk everywhere bored out of your mind because you've already cleared the area and you can't afford unlimited vertibird grenades yet.

Well...also the fact that you can't use the console to fix bugs. So there's a random small chance that any given quest may break at any time.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Or getting stuck in or two places where only a Jetpack or TCL can free you. Amusingly while the console is disabled, the mod that gives you a 'Console' for Xbox, works just fine.

I stopped being challenged around level 5, but then I'd played enough NV Hardcore mode to have no challenge with easy mode Survival. Of course I still get killed by random enemies. (Legendary Red Widow Bloodbug)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

Or getting stuck in or two places where only a Jetpack or TCL can free you. Amusingly while the console is disabled, the mod that gives you a 'Console' for Xbox, works just fine.

I stopped being challenged around level 5, but then I'd played enough NV Hardcore mode to have no challenge with easy mode Survival. Of course I still get killed by random enemies. (Legendary Red Widow Bloodbug)
    Well in that case I stopped being challenged at level 0.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well in that case I stopped being challenged at level 0.
    Well, I'd argue that survival isn't about challenge, it's about immersion (for better or worse). You've got to pay attention to the details, and you can't skip intervening distances. Yes, that does necessarily mean a fair amount of yak shaving, if you're intent on playing survival the same way you'd play normal, ie: lug back every ounce of movable scrap back to a base. But you don't have to do that. You can travel lean, leave most stuff behind, and only use vertibirds when you really have a purpose for them.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Well, I'd argue that survival isn't about challenge, it's about immersion (for better or worse). You've got to pay attention to the details, and you can't skip intervening distances. Yes, that does necessarily mean a fair amount of yak shaving, if you're intent on playing survival the same way you'd play normal, ie: lug back every ounce of movable scrap back to a base. But you don't have to do that. You can travel lean, leave most stuff behind, and only use vertibirds when you really have a purpose for them.
    The problem is that there was never a single moment that I felt like I was struggling to survive. For a mode called "survival" they missed the mark by a large margin. Maybe if food and water were a LOT rarer it might be an interesting mode. As it stands now, I was basically always fully fed and hydrated just from things I would eat and drink to heal. There's basically no increased difficulty or danger at all outside of the rare enemy that one shots you. There's beds in every dungeon, so saving isn't an issue either. I probably lost more play time to bugs and crashes than actual deaths in the mode. The entire thing is just a bunch of busywork with no actual extra difficulty. I actually think the extra gear you end up with from the extra legendaries probably makes the overall game easier than just playing on hard.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone keeps telling me about all these Legendary Enemies and yet, they're very, very rare for me. Must be influenced by Character luck.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The problem is that there was never a single moment that I felt like I was struggling to survive. For a mode called "survival" they missed the mark by a large margin. Maybe if food and water were a LOT rarer it might be an interesting mode. As it stands now, I was basically always fully fed and hydrated just from things I would eat and drink to heal. There's basically no increased difficulty or danger at all outside of the rare enemy that one shots you. There's beds in every dungeon, so saving isn't an issue either. I probably lost more play time to bugs and crashes than actual deaths in the mode. The entire thing is just a bunch of busywork with no actual extra difficulty. I actually think the extra gear you end up with from the extra legendaries probably makes the overall game easier than just playing on hard.
    Yes, they could have just as easily called it 'tedium' mode Much of the trouble arises from this: How do you actually make Fallout difficult in a way that's interesting or challenging? I mean, making the enemies more bullet sponge isn't that exciting, certainly not interesting, and making your own character more fragile really just emphasizes stealth more heavily, plus it makes you lean on saving the game more frequently.

In order to really make Fallout more difficult, you'd have to make the AI smarter, and that's far from simple.

I haven't finished my survival run, but my experience more or less mirrors yours: The so-called difficulty isn't difficult, rather it's more 'lots of new details to fuss about'. That said, I do prefer survival to the base game. In survival, I'm actually a little excited I find a radstag, because I know I'll be able to increase my stockpile of carry-weight rations. I actually have a reason to use the vertibirds, instead of just taking the one ride from Danse and then teleporting everywhere. I actually have a reason to hide from a deathclaw or robot patrol, rather than just mashing quicksave and them opening fire. So, as flawed as it is, I'd say that survival is more fun than 'hard', at least for me.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

While it's technically cheating, the Craftable Vertibird Grenades mod made my life vastly less frustrating.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Banned

Everyone keeps telling me about all these Legendary Enemies and yet, they're very, very rare for me. Must be influenced by Character luck.
    Really? I usually see at least one per dungeon area. Usually several. I do tend to play characters with high luck though (I modded non vats crits back in since I don't use vats).

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I'm lucky to see one per five hours of game play, with just enough Luck for Scrounger.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Banned

I'm lucky to see one per five hours of game play, with just enough Luck for Scrounger.
    Strange. I definitely see them much more often than that. Supposedly the only thing that changes the spawn rate is the difficulty setting. Maybe you're just incredibly unlucky?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Must be. Though for me going from normal to Survival actually dropped the spawn rate rather heavily. Which to be honest is kind of annoying.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

Must be. Though for me going from normal to Survival actually dropped the spawn rate rather heavily. Which to be honest is kind of annoying.
    From what I understand you're actually supposed to get 3 times as many on survival. Who knows though. Maybe you just don't see as many because it takes so long to get anywhere.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe, but I always walk everywhere. Oh great, it's dragons all over again.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

If you want HARD SURVIVIAL and you can used mods, try FROST. Set in the time right after the bombs fall its EXTREMELY hard. Ghouls are a nightmare, bullets scarce and rads all over the place.

you can watch "many a true nerd" youtuber to get a feel for the mod.
    I''ll stop now as I'm getting an itch in that black hole I call a conscious

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Are you modded at all? I get lots of legendary items. Of course, most of the affixes are hot garbage, and 'special case' gear is not feasible in survival. I can't afford to carry around a golf-bag of guns (one for robots, one for bugs, etc.).