New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Dyer's Kingmaker IC

Baolo Riverspeaker

Scanning the horizon as he kept the horses tied to the wagon roughly on course, Baolo responds, "Just give a whistle if'n you see anything out of sorts ahead. Uncertain where this Tusker keeps its lair, but it'd be mighty unfortunate if you came across it...even with the bear by your side."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

It is early afternoon (12-1pm) when your group finds the wolf den. Inset into a grassy knoll is a small, halfling hole-sized entrance. Tracks lead in and out of this natural cave. Otherwise, this area is clear. Do you investigate or move on?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac waited within running distance to the wolf den waiting for everyone to arrive, musket loaded and ready. "It's a wolf den, folks. I know we aim to clear the land out of danger, but are we really looking to kill every lone wolf in the area? Seems a bit excessive to me. You want though, we can make all sorts of noise to lure 'em out, and shoot em one by one. Maybe get to kill pups too, just for kicks, since we're murderin' everything on sight."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Spoiler: stats
    Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:
    HP: 10/10
    AC: 20
    Fort: +2
    Ref: +4
    Will: +2

Ongoing effects:

Sarah frowns in distaste. There is enough trouble out here with out us making more. If there was livestock nearby maybe things would be different, but thus far they have had no intention of hunting us and I would like to return the favor. Sarah starts leading her horse past the den. Leave it to the trappers if it must be done.
    Ol'Spur will thank us for staying out of his job.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A bit to the east, Cormac and company notice a well-worn trail. It could be an animal trail, although there are no obvious signs of tracks or scat. It could also be a humanoid trail, although it is rather narrow.

6. - Top - End - #186

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

With a slight chuckle, Baolo comments, "So what to make of that I wonder? A worn trail...mebee a path that some bandit or other use. I'f we want to be taking that, we'll need to leave the wagon behind for a bit."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac nods at Sarah's words. "I agree with her. Could always come back and hunt 'em later, if we find they're causin' all sorts of hells on folks, but otherwise leave 'em be. Plenty of space out here in the wilds for all manner a creatures, reckon. But this, though..." Cormac nods over at a well-worn trail off of the side, "this looks like a grand adventure just waitin' to be told. Whaddya say, ay?" Cormac shoots out a grin and a wink, and then he's off again.

A few steps into his trot, he waves his arms without looking back. "I know, I know. Will holler if we need help. Got it!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Survival (Tracking): (1d20+8)[18]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Several hundred meters down the trail and the group finds a rock cairn. Offsetting grey and tan stones have been stacked in a rather neat balancing act reaching a meter in height. What makes this particular cairn different from an ordinary navigational tool is that most of the rocks are engraved with the same rune. Detecting Magic on the cairn reveals a noteworthy aura. ... What do you do?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:

Ongoing effects:

This is the point where I envy natural spell casters. I can tell we have runes, now I want to know if we have magic runes. Can one of you see magic? Sarah walks over and studies the runes as best as she can.
    Spoiler: roll
    Show

(1d20+8)[23] linguistics to identify the language and see what she may read.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yrsa Wyrn

"They are at that," Yrsa pipes up, eyes aglow with magic detection. "Which is about the limit of what I can tell you, to be honest - I never got around to properly studying the theory, I'm afraid."

She examines their surroundings curiously, albeit with a measure of caution in case something unwelcome crawls out of the cairn.

Show

(1d20+5)[17] for Perception
    (1d20+5)[6] for Spellcraft
    Last edited by Tavarokk; 2018-02-08 at 01:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

Having pulled the wagon to a halt in order to let others off to investigate, Baolo ties of the reins before dropping down to the ground himself and making his way over. "Hmm, interesting cairn...a bit more complex than what bandits usually give members of their own. Give me a moment and lemmee see if'n I can be identifying what the magic be about," he comments before muttering a bit of magic of his won, his eyes also glowing a strange color. Spell in place, he focuses on the aura, spending time to identify the exact source and type of the magic.

Show
    Take the full 3 rounds to identify the aura itself. Rolling spellcraft below in case magic is coming off of an item or the like. Spellcraft - (1d20+9)[20]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Sarah is able to determine that the runes are a specific Rune Script, but cannot actually read the script. Baolo uses spellcraft to determine that the cairn is a series of Ward Stones. Ward Stones work like a magical fence. You need a minimum of three such cairns of Ward Stones to create the connection. These stones ward against Abyssal creatures. The way the stones work, any Abyssal creature would take damage and sound an alarm for the owner of the stones. ... What do you do?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac eyed the cairns with a suspicious eye. Magic was never his strength, and while he showed some capability, he's never been fully at ease with it. "So, what've we got here, folks?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:

Ongoing effects:

Well these are definitely a language of some sort and all the same one. That said all I can say is the runes are not Celestial, draconic, fey or elven in nature. Maybe dwarven, I never learned their letters, but it could just as easily be infernal or something else completely random. Any luck figuring out what they are Baolo?
    Last edited by redfeline; 2018-02-09 at 11:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

Removing his wool cap to scratch the matted hair on his head, the reforming bandit lets out a grunt before the rat normally tucked under his wool shirt darts out and sits on his shoulder. Both continuing to stare at the cairn, Baolo seems to nod slightly before saying, "Wardstones. Only ever seen those little things that some of the towns along the Shrike might cobble together thinking ta keep away bad spirits. Ain't never seen a working one myself. But looks that this may be a genuwine article." Who a man as unkempt and backwoods as Baolo was would know of such things is tough to determine. But then, the man had already shown of abilities beyond that of a normal bandit. As Baolo spoke, the rat scurried back under the man's shirt. "Seems to be a ward against demons and other abyssal types. Who mighta put this together I wonder." Pausing a moment in thought, Baolo only continues after noticing any possible looks of interest or confusion. "Thing is, normally ya need at least three of these things fer it to work. Maybe if'n we find the other two cairns, we can find who it is that put them up in the first place."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

"I'd like to know precisely why they were put up. Is this land full of abyssal creatures that the stones keep at bay? Are we venturing out of a protected zone into an unprotected one?"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Now that is a cheery thought if I ever heard one. Well if your confident these are to keep demons at bay it would be foolish to disturb it. So lets carefully mark it on the map and hope it doesn't see much use. She pulls a water skin from her saddle bag. Any idea how we can find the other two beyond walk around and hope to see it?

18. - Top - End - #198

HalflingRogueGuy

"Any Major features of the land outlined on that map?" Baolo replied as he scanned the area for any defining features of the land. "Figure those who put up these cairns would need to know where they are so they can find them again. Mebee we can follow any major landmarks or features ta see if another cairn is there?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Could we determine which way the ward is facing somehow?" Yrsa asks. "If it's an outer point of an array, it'd stand to reason one can tell if they're heading in or out at least, or any attempt to find the other points will come with even odds of heading away from the whole setup instead."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe pasta Sarah thinks to herself briefly about tonight's meal. She returns back to the cairn spotting the trail keeps going. We may as well continue on the trail and see if we find the other two. I am sure if we consider the problem from a structural standpoint we may get some insight as well. Sarah looks around thinking where she would put such a fragile but important structure.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

"These cairns are not that large. One could easily imagine overlooking one that the forest, or even tall grass, had since overgrown. As unpleasant as the thought of their necessity is, thoroughly combing the wilderness for more such stones would take ages. We might as well continue on our way and note such cairns as we find them."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah nods agreement. Before she finishes crunching some numbers in her head. Well from what I see of the topography in the area it would likely take 4 stones to completely cover this region and the optimal angle for the next one, if I were to place it, would be there. She points in one direction. However, that is just how I feel I would need to do it, if I were to set up such a ward. The real question still remains, why did some one set up such a ward?
    Last edited by redfeline; 2018-02-11 at 11:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

In reply, Baolo mutters, "Not too sure meself. Even more uncertain...were these wrds meant to keep abysall critters out or in. Given enough time, mebee we can find some history on this though. Either way, mebee it would be sound advice to keep our eyes open not only fer natural hazards and creatures, but fer tha more demonic in nature." Though he is uncertain where this knowledge comes form, Baolo lets it slip from his lips quite naturally as he makes his way back to the wagon. Pulling himself up to the rough seat and loosening the reins, he looks to the others, intent on continuing to follow the path.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Well might as well head into the warded area. At the very least it is safe from demons and that is more than we can say for the area we are leaving. Sarah mounts back up on her horse and makes sure her pistol is lose and ready to draw. Now she just needed silver bullets.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Whatever's inside might have other protections to make up for it," Yrsa comments helpfully. "Still, I'm curious as well."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Following the trail eastward, it isn't long before the group notices a stand of three, quite sizable beech trees. Within this stand, built high off of the ground are four, seemingly connected, houses. It amounts to one large treehouse. The trail continues beyond the trees toward the east.

The treehouses are quaint. One is cylindrical and made from natural logs. It's roof is covered in moss. Next to it and connected by a very should platform is square home. It is built from crafted, boards in a random pattern. The third house sits on top of the square home. This treehouse is square on three side with a rounded front and a spire-like roof made of wood tiles. The final house is the largest. It too is cylindrical with a high pitched roof. A spiral ladder made of natural logs leads to the underside of one corner of this home. All of the treehouses are surrounded by porch-like platforms with hand rails. The houses are also blanketed by a myriad of flowers, plants, vines and vegetation, along with ropes, poles, and logs that hold it all together.

What do you do?
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-12 at 12:52 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Shall we introduce ourselves to the home owners? Sarah asks the group wondering if these are the people who built the wards. She takes a look at the vegetation on each platform. I wonder if they have any of the sauce ingredients I need?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yrsa Wyrn

"Might as well," Yrsa agrees. Calling up her armor just in case, she then heads over towards the houses, looking around for their owners - or traps.

Show

(1d20+5)[18] for Perception

29. - Top - End - #209

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

"Well, you don't see sumthin' like that too often, eh?," Baolo mutters as the wagon trundles along towards the tree houses. Eyes peeled, the reforming bandit keeps alert as he lets someone a bit more diplomatic make introductions.

Perception - (1d20+6)[20] to spot any dangers of surprises

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Something catches the eyes of both Yrsa and Baolo! The moss covered roof appears to shift a bit, as a sleeping person might twitch or move in their sleep. Also, Baolo notices that there is a rather large snake laying upon the circling rail of the spiral staircase. The reptile appears to have a type of natural camouflage and is at least three meters in length!

So far, no humanoids have appeared. ... What do you do?
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-12 at 08:15 PM.