New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dyer's Kingmaker IC

Alexei

"I suppose this arrangement keeps one safe from wolves. We ought to introduce ourselves, if anyone's home," he said, oblivious to the movements the others spotted.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah cups her hands around her mouth and calls up loudly. Hello, we were hoping to have a chat with you. Turning to her companions and talking softer. If we get to design a city I vote we hire who ever did this.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac was astounded by the treehouses. As a child he used to dream about living amongst elves in the woods like in the storybooks. This seemed a far better sight than the filth and stink of cities. He hoped there were witches in there that hands out prophecies, or gnomes that throws bones in a game of chance for rich rewards or deadly strikes, or perhaps a living star hiding from the world. He waited for an answer as his companions called out to its owners.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[20]
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+7)[23] for whatever it might tell me about the surroundings.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Baolo Riverspeaker

Wary of the movement he had spotted, Baolo whispered to the others, "Keep an eye out. That railing their looks to be a giant snake...about 3 meters long. Guessing they don't get many visitors out here." His uncertainty as to what might happen following Sarah's call is evident as he draws the cart to a halt, his hand slipping to the short bow resting next to him.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

As Sarah remarks, If we get to design a city I vote we hire who ever did this., an elderly, meek, yet bright voice responds beside her, I might'n enjoy that...if'n there's lots of trees in your city. Looking over is an elderly male gnome just shy of a meter tall with bright green eyes, grey hair, and a gentle, wrinkled face. He wears an ochre-hued stocking on his head and a green shirt two sizes too small which accents his larger-than-normal pot belly. His crotch is covered by a patch of green leaves somehow woven into a small thong. The gnome carries a twisted staff which is topped by a razor fern (a tiny gnome-shaped plant with dangerous-looking barbed fronds). Cormac notices the mossy roof and knows that to be a creature; a moss monster.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-13 at 05:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Spoiler: stats
    Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:
    HP: 10/10
    AC: 20
    Fort: +2
    Ref: +4
    Will: +2

Ongoing effects:

Hello good Sir, I am Sarah. My companions and I have come to survey the area. Sarah smiles warmly at the gnome. Would you be kind enough to talk with us for a while?
    Last edited by redfeline; 2018-02-14 at 11:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am Alexei," the young man introduced himself with a bow.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-02-15 at 01:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by redfeline View Post
    Hello good Sir, I am Sarah. My companions and I have come to survey the area. Sarah smiles warmly at the gnome. Would you be kind enough to talk with us for a while?
    To survey? To explore? Further down the path are places that others haven't been. There are stories to tell and visions to share. Are you heroes or governors? Answer truthfully, for your advancement lies in your word, your bond. If your cause is just, your truth will lead to prosperity. You may call me, Scragglinroan.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac chuckled at the gnome's response to Sarah. He was amused, and he decided that he liked the little man. "Speaking for myself, I'm no hero, though I can't rightly say I'm a governor either. Your words amuse me. Why must one be either a hero or a governor, why can't one be both, or neither?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yrsa Wyrn

"Nice to meet you, Scragglinroan," Yrsa smiles. "Where do curiosity and self-improvement fall on the "justness" scale, anyway? I wouldn't mind a touch of prosperity, I think."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"Speaking for myself, I'm no hero, though I can't rightly say I'm a governor either. Your words amuse me. Why must one be either a hero or a governor, why can't one be both, or neither? You pose an interesting concept but in my experience those such as yourselves venture into the wilderness to face adversity through daring, vision, and strength while governors explore to conquer and claim what was not previously theirs. If you are both then you present quite an enigma for me and if you are neither then you are most likely lost and doomed to perish.

"Nice to meet you, Scragglinroan," Yrsa smiles. "Where do curiosity and self-improvement fall on the "justness" scale, anyway? I wouldn't mind a touch of prosperity, I think." Is your cause self-improvement or curiosity or both? Advancement may concern one's promotion but I desire to identify your plans and insist that your progression is in direct correlation with your truth. If you are truthful, you will prosper.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-16 at 12:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

"The 'governor' part seems a bit harshly worded, but I suppose 'both' still sums us up best. Or for myself at least, if I may be so bold."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-02-16 at 01:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

"The 'governor' part seems a bit harshly worded, but I suppose 'both' still sums us up best. Or for myself at least, if I may be so bold."
    This is the wilderness. It is harsh. A harsh and dangerous world. You must be bold, you must have truth, for the meek perish here.

You seem an interesting lot, a group becoming. You are hot iron on the forge still being hammered into axe, blade, or tool. Come inside my home if you are truthful about who you think you are. We shall have tea and a variety of tastings. Come. Come. Darkness comes too.
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-16 at 10:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Thinking of the gnomes riddle, Sarah decided she could be a governor, if she had stayed back home. She would be the noble woman overseeing some other persons realm, and baring some one else's heir. No for now at least she hoped to be a hero and perhaps earn an inheritance worthy of an heir.

Well that is very nice of you, I was hoping not to sleep in a wagon tonight. I very much appreciate your hospitality Mr. Scragglinorn. She smiles warmly. I am sorry gnomish is not my tongue. May I ask for your name one more time?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well that is very nice of you, I was hoping not to sleep in a wagon tonight. I very much appreciate your hospitality Mr. Scragglinorn. She smiles warmly. I am sorry gnomish is not my tongue. May I ask for your name one more time?
    Scragglinroan. Come. Come. Come inside.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

"We would be honored. Lead the way," Alexei said as he made to follow the gnome into his house.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-02-18 at 12:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
    Is your cause self-improvement or curiosity or both? Advancement may concern one's promotion but I desire to identify your plans and insist that your progression is in direct correlation with your truth. If you are truthful, you will prosper.
    "Both, I should hope. Through experience one grows stronger and through strength one is free to seek new, novel experiences."

Quote Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
    Scragglinroan. Come. Come. Come inside.
    "Don't mind me if I do," she moves to follow.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:
    "Fair's fair," Cormac said to the gnome. "In that case, you may consider me a guv'ner as it were. I shall explore and conquer and claim what's not previously mine. I'm not afflicted with a daring heart, more of a brash carelessness, or so I've been told. And I've neither vision nor strength, really, that's what the bear's for. Strength, that is." He nods and grins at the gnome. "Thank you for the invitation!"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Scragglinroan leads the way up the small spiral staircase. He pauses, Say hello to Amperthaffus, as he gently touches the rather large snake, my children call her Touch-Me-Not.. The hatch leading into the largest treehouse is a tight squeeze. Stranger-Come-Knocking will have to stay outside. The main house is large enough for everyone to stand in, but the others are not. The gnome's residence is cluttered floor-to-ceiling with some normal plants and others which are sentient, or plant-based creatures. There are a few random places to sit, including the floor as Scragglinroan offers the seating in exchange for exquisite tea. He returns moments later with six cups. No two are alike. Scragglinroan introduces the tea as Gretius Rebosstia, The Boss. The tea has a refreshing taste, almost nutty but full bodied and very delicious. Great for the early evening. He adds, Did you travel this day from Fort Dahlia? And, how is my favorite herbal witch? ... What do you do?
    Last edited by DyerMaker; 2018-02-19 at 07:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac pats Stranger-Come-Knocking on his way up to the treehouse, giving an impish apologetic grin. He entered the house and immediately stepped to the side to let the others in while he stared in wonder at all the knick-knacks gathered from a lifetime, an assortment that filled the room yet rooted a person, giving one a sense of belonging, a place called home. He sighed as he pictured himself living in such a place. Could he be happy living this way?

He smiled to himself as he sat down, and accepted the tea with rare grace. He always drank tea black, and this one seemed perfect for the surrounding, a full bodied nutty taste that brought a sense of the earth and warm hearth. Cormac was in a sort of daze, and the sounds of conversation drifted in and out of his ears as he listened intently, and yet seemingly listened to nothing at all, not bothering to respond, completely at peace.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

Alexei accepted the tea graciously and sipped it. Not bad at all, he thought; though he came from money he wasn't a tea drinker, let alone a connoisseur. "We did indeed set out from Fort Dahlia. She's doing well, I believe. We helped her... get through a difficult time."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2018-02-20 at 02:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:

Ongoing effects:

Sarah gazes at one rare plant after another. She could make any number of potions and elixirs with the bounty in this house. Sarah takes in the comfortable surrounding and sits on the floor with her legs crossed. She nods after Alexei, comments She has less to fear now, but she is still worried about the undead. Thus far Sarah has simply held and smelled the tea, enjoying the warmth and the mild smell of walnuts. May I ask you about the children you mentioned? Sarah considered some of the other questions should would like to ask if there was a lull in conversation. She wanted to know about the undead that had Dahlia worried. She also wanted to ask the gnome how he would answer the hero vs Governor question.
    Last edited by redfeline; 2018-02-20 at 11:21 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Scragglinroan mentions that he is all alone now. That his wife died many moons ago and that his children grew and left to pursue their own truth. These days, he's become somewhat of a collector; mostly plants. Every now and then he comes across something shiny or a rare gem. He barters once, maybe twice per year with Dahlia. What brings you to the Greenbelt?, he asks.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:

Ongoing effects:

Sarah looks at the gnome and then at the others, uncertain of what to share. Family. Past and future. You asked if I was governor. That is what my uncle would like of me, but I do not know if it is what I want for me. She looks into the dark cup of tea. I have nobles blood, it may be thin but it is pure. A lady of my station is expected to marry and produce an heir. If my lord husband allows it, I may occasionally govern his realm. However,
    that was not the future I currently desire.
    She glanced at Cormac. So after an incident at some one else's wedding I decided to change my future to something else. I told my uncle, the lord, I would like to explore the stolen lands instead of getting married. He gave me his blessing and I left. Here my future seems very uncertain, and I am finding comfort in that.

She looks at the gnome I would like to claim the hero role, but as my companions will mention I am not great at it. In fact I've already made some rather poor suggestions. How about you, are you a governor or a hero?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

Cormac caught wind of the conversation, and relaxed as he was, he felt he owed it to respond honestly to the gnome who had so graciously opened his home. After all, he told as much to the freed thugs, why not a nice gnome?

"We're here to clean up the land, and lay claim to it. Good folks oughtn't have nothing to worry 'bout though, especially ones with tea this good."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

She looks at the gnome I would like to claim the hero role, but as my companions will mention I am not great at it. In fact I've already made some rather poor suggestions. How about you, are you a governor or a hero?
    I am or was a hero to my children, a hero to my plants I suppose and the many creatures under my care. Mostly, I'm a humble gardener enjoying a spot of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by grifter730 View Post
    "We're here to clean up the land, and lay claim to it. Good folks oughtn't have nothing to worry 'bout though, especially ones with tea this good."
    Aye, purge the land of bandits and evil that plagues the Greenbelt. I predict you will build a beautiful kingdom. You must know truth. If you are truthful there must be no hypocrisy. If you know truth, then you will know equality. Know equality, and you will see justice. Know justice, and you will have peace. Know peace, and love will fill your kingdom. Know love, and darkness will visit you not. How will you rule?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Cormac:

"Hadn't given it much thought honestly, since we're speaking truth and all." Cormac shrugged. "Lot of folks have different idea for justice, and one man's truth might be another man's blasphemy. And there's a number of us in the group, so it's just as likely we'd bash each other's brains trying to resolve one issue or another. I'm just here to do my part to clean up the mess; the brigands, the monsters, the things that mean us harm. All that other stuff, the law writing, the judging, the talking..." Cormac sighs, "it's nice and simple, out here in the wilds. Hunt for meat, grow crops for fruits and vegetables. Politics of the wild. Not a bad way to run a country. Would never work though. That's a lotta words to say I reckon I don't right know how to run a kingdom."
    Last edited by grifter730; 2018-02-21 at 04:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Should we actually get there, I would be of a mind to just censure the folks that can't rule themselves," Yrsa muses. "I mean, good sense and ability to deal with one's own issues as universal cultural institutions sound rather unfeasible, but a girl can dream, right?"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexei

"Politics of the wild... I daresay that in any group of two or more people, politics are in play. And speaking of things that do us harm, can you tell us anything about the wardstones?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Sarah

Show

Standard:
    swift:
    Move:

Stats:

Ongoing effects:

Sarah raises an eyebrow. Some how the ward had slipped her mind. Shocking since it was one of the most pragmatic things to inquire about. She drinks some of the tea. The day must of been longer than expected. From the bits she had seen the gnome may of posted the cairn.