New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    But this topic was already discussed ad nauseam last time, so...
    The comment leaves the information on the topic unchanged, yes.

Maybe the takeaway from the panel should be that we saw Kudzu attempt to say "turn undead" without the special effects associated with turning undead; maybe there'll be fewer "the baby was doing the turning!" comments this time around. I wouldn't bet on it, though.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Aw, little Kudzu is really cute. The "Tunn unn deh! Tunn unn deh!" and the helmet reaching parts especially.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, that’s several questions answered. Hilgya does not seem too fond of Durkon these days

Peelee’s Lotsey

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Omg Durkon's kid is named after a highly potent tree-killer. I think he'd approve.
    Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Belkar looks almost disturbed in the penultimate panel. Have we finally discovered evidence of him having standards?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

So no one really thinks of the comic strip "Kudzu" then. That simplifies matters.
    Oddly enough, I keep thinking of a different kudzu....I suspect it's named after the plant one, though.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    OMFG Durkon's baby trying to Turn Undead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If Kudzu has gone into battle in the carrier a few times he might have a few levels.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...wait, people were seriously thinking that the (hilariously-named) baby turned the vampires?

Also, wow, Hilgya is holding a serious grudge against Durkon.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Soooo, I see that last panel and all I can think is, what's the over under on Belkar having impregnated Jenny with a bouncing baby quarterling?
    Zero, since the baby would be a three-fourthling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Or a hint that Loki and Hilgya aren't Evil.
    Well, it's explicitly a statement that Loki grants his clerics Turn Undead because ewww. To be a hint that Loki and Hilgya aren't Evil one would have to further conclude that hating the undead is a necessarily non-Evil trait. So one of these claimed hints is a lot stronger than the other.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I had forgotten about that one actually.

Was that the one with the old lady and her dog?
    No, it described the southern town of Bypass, North Carolina. The lead character's name was Kudzu Debose (thus setting up this comic well).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicStrip/Kudzu [warning: tvtrope link].

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It's a noxious, fast-growing plant widely considered to be one of the hardest plants to stop from invading and taking over everything. :D
    Unless there are cattle in the area, at which point it's not a problem.

Cattle love kudzu, kudzu does not reciprocate the feeling, planting grazing land in kudzu won't work, the cattle eat the kudzu faster than even it can grow.

Basically, if you do anything to regularly kill the surface growth in an area, mow it, let a cow graze it, burn it off, and do it every few weeks, then Kudzu never gets established in that area, and it will die back if already in the area. grass is arguably a tougher plant (as various grasses thrive under exactly this sort of treatment).

Claims that you can't kill kudzu come from people doing something once or twice, and being surprised that the plant comes back from that.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Comic!Loki is not the same as Myth!Loki, for starter he is Thor's brother. Their personnalities are similar but details about them need not be.

Also in myth Hel is half-dead half-living but her parents are the same as Fenrir's (a big wolf) and Jormungandr (A big snake) : two giants. So Loki does not love the dead if that is what you thought. I can't recall any myth were Loki had to deal with undeads so it can go either way.

Hel might not even be half dead in this comic. Guess we'll never know unless the Giant tells us or her skirt gets lifted and I'd sooner believe Xykon operaating an ice cream truck than that ever happening.
    My understanding of this post is that you are claiming that Hel, Fenrir, and the Midguard serpent are not Loki's chlidren. With that in mind:

Per CH. 34 of the Prose Edda, Loki's children by Angrboda children include but are not limited too, Fenrir, Jormungandr, and Hel. Per the genealogies in Carolyne Larrington's translation of the Poetic Edda (pages xxxiv & and xxxv in the introduction), the same is also listed, but Loki's child by his wife Sigyn is also listed. Curiously, Sleipnir isn't.

Other fun facts about Norse mythology:

In verse 9 of Loki' Flyting, Loki refers to an occasion where Loki and Odin became blood brothers.

Attila the Hun (as Atli, king of the Huns) is a major character in the heroic section of the Poetic Edda. Other versions of this story can be found as an Icelandic saga or an opera by Wagner.

An army of the dead will will rise during Ragnorok, led by Hel, and they will be manning a boat made of discarded human fingernails. Which, according to Snorri, is why you should dispose of fingernail clippings in a neat and hygenic manner.
    Last edited by Rob Roy; 2017-12-06 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Misc. grammatical corrections and finger/toenail barge.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    ...wait, people were seriously thinking that the (hilariously-named) baby turned the vampires?

Also, wow, Hilgya is holding a serious grudge against Durkon.
    We knew that when she showed up. Although I think Brynhild might have been a better name if Rich had setup the full psycho-ex plan (probably not. She showed up early enough I don't think the plot had started).

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

smile Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Little Kudzu is too adorable to handle. Look at him :
    Panel 2 I'm moving yeeah!
    Panel 6 random air hug
    Panel 10 can I get the shiny head-thing, mommy?

Plus "tunn unn deh!"
    Actually, I think in panel 2 little Kudzu is trying to imitate Mom. Look how his hand positions almost exactly mirror hers.
    Either way, though: So cute! Cute baby!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

It may be completely unrelated, but the name 'Kudzu' shows up on TVTropes as a Kudzu Plot: a plot with many dangling plot threads that makes the story needlessly complicated. Maybe it's another of The Giant's self-deprecating jokes?
    "Remember, paladin: Anger leads to hate, hate leads to...fear? Or is it suffering? I can never remember how this goes."

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Unless there are cattle in the area, at which point it's not a problem.

Cattle love kudzu, kudzu does not reciprocate the feeling, planting grazing land in kudzu won't work, the cattle eat the kudzu faster than even it can grow.

Basically, if you do anything to regularly kill the surface growth in an area, mow it, let a cow graze it, burn it off, and do it every few weeks, then Kudzu never gets established in that area, and it will die back if already in the area. grass is arguably a tougher plant (as various grasses thrive under exactly this sort of treatment).

Claims that you can't kill kudzu come from people doing something once or twice, and being surprised that the plant comes back from that.
    Will goats work? That sounds like a job for goats (although they might finish everything else off as well).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Frankly if something comes back from the dead twice, I forgive you for thinking it can't be killed and, in fact, is not a plant at all but a messenger of the nameless things who dwell in the starless void, older and vaster than mankind ever will be, come to destroy us all in its glorious splendour.I've beenreading some Lovecraft lately, does it show?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    My understanding of this post is that you are claiming that Hel, Fenrir, and the Midguard serpent are not Loki's chlidren.
    Loki and Angrboda are both giants by birth. Which is probably why Loki can shapeshift that much.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-12-06 at 08:00 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Will goats work? That sounds like a job for goats (although they might finish everything else off as well).
    I heard cows weren't thorough enough, and it needed goats.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

So I guess she has no more interest in other people's ideas about baby names than in their ideas about anything else.

20. - Top - End - #80

So no one really thinks of the comic strip "Kudzu" then. That simplifies matters.
    I was wondering if no one else knew of that strip.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Closed Account

Loki and Angrboda are both giants by birth. Which is probably why Loki can shapeshift that much.
    I understand this perfectly well. Odin, his brothers, Thor's mother, and few others are all of direct Jotun origin as well.

Your post seemed to imply that the parents of Hel (et al.) were jotun other than Loki. Since it led me to believe that is what was being said, it is reasonable to assume that other would come to the same conclusion, so I elaborated.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    turn undead :)
    It seems to be important for them :)

Now does Loki dislike the undead because of his daughter ?
    It even might be the reason why he conceived the wager in the first place
    sch
    I think it's the reverse: by having his Clerics fight Undead, he's making it more certain Hel doesn't win her bet.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-12-06 at 08:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    I understand this perfectly well. Odin, his brothers, Thor's mother, and few others are all of direct Jotun origin as well.

Your post seemed to imply that the parents of Hel (et al.) were jotun other than Loki. Since it led me to believe that is what was being said, it is reasonable to assume that other would come to the same conclusion, so I elaborated.
    Uh, my bad then.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's my take on Loki and the undead (I still believe both Loki and Hilgya are Chaotic Evil):

-Loki deliberately robs Hel out of souls and ticks her off
    -as the Northern goddess of undeath, Hel manages to bar Loki from drawing from the Plane of Negative Energy
    -instead of trying to contest that, Loki pulls strings to qualify as a Positive Energy channeling deity
    -this now makes Loki an incredibly appealing evil deity, since his clerics are all great healers
    -every evil adventuring party wants a cleric of Loki
    -various evil groups like the Thieves' Guild sponsor the Church of Loki for cheaper, no-questions-asked healing
    -the Church of Loki is less likely to be sought out by paladins and do-gooders, since it plays a vital role in keeping people alive regardless of alignment and is better than the alternative of letting other evil churches gain a foothold in communities like Greysky City
    -all of this + removing Hel's influence on the world lets him maintain his status as the most powerful Evil god of the North

It wouldn't surprise if OOTS Loki is also responsible for screwing over his other kids. Maybe he somehow tricked Jormungandr into biting its own tail (thus literally robbing it of a voice at the Godsmoot) and bound Fenrir with Gleipnir (limiting his activity in the Outer Planes).
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Yes. I remember reading of people renting out goats to clear kudzu. Apparently goats tend to eat the kudzu first, so you leave them there until the weed is gone, then move them on before they eat everything else too. These people also sold goat meat and cheese, because getting paid twice is always a good plan.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The kid is named for a comic strip. Come on, people. Rich is a comic artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    OMFG Durkon's baby trying to Turn Undead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Call back to about strip 1a, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm totally going to try to get my 17 month old son to say "Tunn unn deh" now.
    Well done, my good an faithful servant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    A good example of kudzu would be the cover art to R.E.M.'s Murmur.
    No. The comic strip. But REM is OK.
    Yep. Thanks for stealing my thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by CletusMusashi View Post
    My first thought was that she named him Kudzu because kudzu kills trees.
    No. Comic strip. A couple of decades ago, it was syndicated in newspapers all over the place.

All of the above cleared up ...
    Thank You Giant. (And the last panel was extra sweet in the funny bone).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-12-06 at 08:45 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Well, it's explicitly a statement that Loki grants his clerics Turn Undead because ewww.
    I don't think "break some skulls" is synonymous with "turn undead".

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Oh so, Hilgya is just delusional and stupid then. Greaaaaaaat.

I mean, first she is delusional and stupid about the first husband, which she wanted to get away from, and now she is equally stupid about the guy to help take care of her child, even though the one she left seems not that bad compared to a guy who is a vampire and needs to be brought back to life to save the world.

I'm not feeling really sympathetic towards her. she is just hypocritical now. and I went back and checked, she was the one who ran away from HIM after he was just talking about how he feels about the situation and explaining why he wasn't ok with it. I mean really girl, he is an adventurer. you met him in a dungeon while he was on a big quest to fight a high level lich, AND from what I've been rereading, YOU WERE THE ONE COMING ONTO HIM! Then you left, didn't tell him sooner because y'know, you could've just paid a wizard to send you a message or something as soon you found out you were pregnant instead of trying to pray to Loki, and you knew that since he was adventurer he would be constantly traveling about, wouldn't be freely available to just go back to the same place to let him know, because y'know, adventurer stuff.

this situation is honestly entirely of her own making. you dug this hole Hilgya, your the one who took all those stupid risks, Durkon was just the guy who was trying to stick to the job given him to by his god and his people no matter how much he doesn't like it, and along you came along and was like, the first dwarf lass he seen in five years? like giving someone in the desert an oasis....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Then you left, didn't tell him sooner because y'know, you could've just paid a wizard to send you a message or something as soon you found out you were pregnant instead of trying to pray to Loki,
    Cause Clerics are well known for going around trying to subvert their god's will.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #90
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    and I went back and checked, she was the one who ran away from HIM after he was just talking about how he feels about the situation and explaining why he wasn't ok with it.
    Go back and check again? He explicitly told her to leave and confirmed that that was what he meant.

I'm also thoroughly uncomfortable with you saying "they both had consensual unprotected sex" is entirely the fault of one of them and with "attractive woman=inanimate consumable" analogies. I'm not particularly sympathetic to Hilgya, but keep arguing that she should be condemned with tactics like these, I'll get there.