New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post
    Probably didn't want her kid to end up becoming a Pokémon Professor.
    *goodpeople25 used overthinking!
    I don't think that would actually work, there are at least a couple professors named after other plants. (Ivy is from the anime, but Burnet even crossed over to S&M from her Dream Radar.)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Oh so, Hilgya is just delusional and stupid then. Greaaaaaaat.

I mean, first she is delusional and stupid about the first husband, which she wanted to get away from, and now she is equally stupid about the guy to help take care of her child, even though the one she left seems not that bad compared to a guy who is a vampire and needs to be brought back to life to save the world.

I'm not feeling really sympathetic towards her. she is just hypocritical now. and I went back and checked, she was the one who ran away from HIM after he was just talking about how he feels about the situation and explaining why he wasn't ok with it. I mean really girl, he is an adventurer. you met him in a dungeon while he was on a big quest to fight a high level lich, AND from what I've been rereading, YOU WERE THE ONE COMING ONTO HIM! Then you left, didn't tell him sooner because y'know, you could've just paid a wizard to send you a message or something as soon you found out you were pregnant instead of trying to pray to Loki, and you knew that since he was adventurer he would be constantly traveling about, wouldn't be freely available to just go back to the same place to let him know, because y'know, adventurer stuff.

this situation is honestly entirely of her own making. you dug this hole Hilgya, your the one who took all those stupid risks, Durkon was just the guy who was trying to stick to the job given him to by his god and his people no matter how much he doesn't like it, and along you came along and was like, the first dwarf lass he seen in five years? like giving someone in the desert an oasis....
    well too be fair, she's (most likely) evil. and probably had a long period of time between then and now. looots of time to convince herself that he was the one in the wrong, and that she wasn't guilty of any of it.

trust me, it happens. i have both been, and been the subject too, someone who has done that.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

This is still aggressively stupid. If the rigorous motion won't kill the child (Assuming that a single blow or unlucky trip doesn't):
    Why, o WHY would you carry the child: IN THE FRONT. Making using weapons difficult, and making shielding the child difficult as well.

And yes, take the child into the danger zone not, out of it. Just pure brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I heard cows weren't thorough enough, and it needed goats.
    We've got a field near here with cattle next to a field covered in kudzu.

It's easy to tell EXACTLY how far over the fence a cow can reach her head... Because that's where the kudzu STOPS.

There's a strip of grass near that fence on the kudzu side. Goats rip out roots, they may well kill kudzu faster than cattle, but cattle can keep kudzu from getting established quite well and will drive it back given half a chance.

Edited to add: Kudzu was deliberately introduced to the USA. It was supposed to help stabilize embankments and the like, which it does. This was a cure worse than the disease.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2017-12-06 at 09:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Well, if flaws and bad decisions lead to a character dying, then I'd have to say the odds of Hilgya coming out of this alive just got longer. Lots longer.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    This is still aggressively stupid. If the rigorous motion won't kill the child (Assuming that a single blow or unlucky trip doesn't):
    Why, o WHY would you carry the child: IN THE FRONT. Making using weapons difficult, and making shielding the child difficult as well.

And yes, take the child into the danger zone not, out of it. Just pure brilliance.
    Front&Center means you have direct eyesight and both hands to defend him.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

That last panel made me laugh harder than I've laughed in what feels like months! Thanks, Rich
    Kudos to smuchmuch for the awesome 11th Doctor avatar!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hilygia's comment in panel 5 makes me think that she doesn't have enough levels in knowledge (religion) to know how vampires work in this setting.
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

9. - Top - End - #99

This issue of the Baby Sitters Club: Stacy makes a big mistake about gambling, and learns an important lesson. Meanwhile the rest of the club experiences a not-at-all government encoureged lesson about drugs, and all learn about responsibility, hug at the end and remind each other that they are their best freinds. They then begin braiding each other’s Hair
    Next issue: Stacy learns that somepeople lock their windows, and that shattered glass hurts.

10. - Top - End - #100

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    well too be fair, she's (most likely) evil. and probably had a long period of time between then and now. looots of time to convince herself that he was the one in the wrong, and that she wasn't guilty of any of it.

trust me, it happens. i have both been, and been the subject too, someone who has done that.
    I also think that she's also projecting somewhat, she presumably spends most of her time dealing with Chaotic people, so that's the kind of behavior she expects.

The Church of Loki also probably doesn't have many good things to say about the worshipers of Thor. So her beliefs would have been reinforced by an already negative bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    Hilygia's comment in panel 5 makes me think that she doesn't have enough levels in knowledge (religion) to know how vampires work in this setting.
    Exceedingly few people in the setting know how vampires work.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #102

PaladinGuy

--I hope young Kudzu has improved evasion and some decent DEX save bonuses, or this will end badly;

--I have to agree with those who don't feel too sorry for Hilgya given that as a middle level cleric she had abundant resources for tracking down Durkon long ago, including Scrying and Commune if she's at least 9th level, and Greater Scrying and Wind Walk if she's at least 13th level. Durkon may have sent her away, but if she had wanted to track him down and make him aware of her condition and her anger, she had more than adequate means of doing so;

--can we just take the loud hint from The Giant that one of Loki's domains allows his clerics to turn undead and dispense with further discussion of the "clerics of evil gods can't turn undead!" issue?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

Abjurations! Nothing safer. :D

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    This issue of the Baby Sitters Club: Stacy makes a big mistake about gambling, and learns an important lesson.
    If she really does have a flush, that's pretty good. If they aren't cheating that's a pretty likely to win hand. Not high enough I'D bet a baby on it, but I'm not a Loki cleric.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been finding myself reading this comic (and the previous one) through twice: once to see what's going on with the plot, and then once again just to see what the baby is doing while everyone else is doing plot stuff.

15. - Top - End - #105

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    --I hope young Kudzu has improved evasion and some decent DEX save bonuses, or this will end badly;

--I have to agree with those who don't feel too sorry for Hilgya given that as a middle level cleric she had abundant resources for tracking down Durkon long ago, including Scrying and Commune if she's at least 9th level, and Greater Scrying and Wind Walk if she's at least 13th level. Durkon may have sent her away, but if she had wanted to track him down and make him aware of her condition and her anger, she had more than adequate means of doing so;

--can we just take the loud hint from The Giant that one of Loki's domains allows his clerics to turn undead and dispense with further discussion of the "clerics of evil gods can't turn undead!" issue?
    According to the Class and Level Geekery thread, Durkon is currently level 14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plot twist: "Durkon Thundershield" is to dwarves what "John Smith" is to humans.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Exceedingly few people in the setting know how vampires work.
    Oh. Well, thanks for the info.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliren View Post
    Plot twist: "Durkon Thundershield" is to dwarves what "John Smith" is to humans.
    A lovely theory. Unfortunately, we already know that:
    He really is the Durkon Thundershield she's looking for, and
    At least one dwarf thinks that he is positively identified by his name.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2017-12-06 at 10:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliren View Post
    You mean a name that while it might be in common use in some culturally affiliated areas of the world holding only a small portion of the world's total population of humans, is rare in the human population as a whole? I can see why you think they would be similar.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    You mean a name that while it might be in common use in some culturally affiliated areas of the world holding only a small portion of the world's total population of humans, is rare in the human population as a whole? I can see why you think they would be similar.
    Hey, the dwarven nation could easily be a culturally affiliated area of the world!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

yuk Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Ugh.
    She's irrationally vengeful, she's irrationally jealous, she's judgemental, she's stubborn to the point of endangering her own child, she jumps to conclusions, she makes up her own truths despite all evidence... and she likes "Kudzu".
    Hylgia is one of those.
    Suddenly, all my enthusiasm has faded.

PS: Also? "Tunn unn deh! Tunn unn deh!"
    Last edited by ManuelSacha; 2017-12-06 at 10:42 PM.
    When in doubt, set it on fire, right?

22. - Top - End - #112

Kudzu would make an awesome babe magnet. I want to adopt him, and I'm a misanthropic bachelor. (I promise I'm not a Thor worshipper.)

23. - Top - End - #113

I predict they get old Durkon killed and resurrected. Next he will want to marry Hilgya because of Duty and all that. Maybe they will be happy in the end.
    (Of course she would need a divorce first. Should not be that hard with her proven lack fidelity and all.)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

you know, I almost forgot that she used to run with nale

I guess it takes one to tolerate one

25. - Top - End - #115

Clearly, the solution to "how do I protect my baby son" is to kill the baby and get a wizard to, in the crucial time just after death, reanimate the body and trap the soul in a gem, and then hide the zombie and gem in an undisclosed safe location until whatever you need to do has been done, and then get another wizard to release the soul and get a cleric to do the resurrection. It's just like hitting "pause" on life, so your children don't have to grow up or have any experiences without you.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Clearly, the solution to "how do I protect my baby son" is to kill the baby and get a wizard to, in the crucial time just after death, reanimate the body and trap the soul in a gem, and then hide the zombie and gem in an undisclosed safe location until whatever you need to do has been done, and then get another wizard to release the soul and get a cleric to do the resurrection. It's just like hitting "pause" on life, so your children don't have to grow up or have any experiences without you.
    But...but... Loki teaches us that lo, zombies are totally icky.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I guess the Church of Loki has the same childcare policies as your average babysitting center. I see nothing to worry about.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    Soooo, I see that last panel and all I can think is, what's the over under on Belkar having impregnated Jenny with a bouncing baby quarterling?
    Doubt it, since Jenny’s at the table and isn’t the one betting the kid.
    I am a Neutral Good Elf Druid/Wizard

: "Disintegrate. Gust of wind. Now can we please resume saving the world?"
    : "Your approval fills me with shame."
    Never, EVER pick up a duck in a dungeon!

29. - Top - End - #119

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Syldar View Post
    Doubt it, since Jenny’s at the table and isn’t the one betting the kid.
    Well yeah it's very doubtful for numerous reasons, the scenario it brings to my mind (you leave your kid with a cleric and she shows up at the specific poker game you're attending and then proceeds to add your baby to the pot) is absurd enough that it kinda matches/adds to the scene.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

So her M.O. is to strap her baby to her chest and carry it into battle? I guess she must have come from a dwarf fortress.