The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony: The War Of Seasons OOC: Maneville's Dinning Hall

Quote Originally Posted by The_Iron_Lord View Post

EDIT: oh hey Schismatic! Fancy meeting you here XD

You have a gift for thinking up fun character concepts, I must say! Moonflower Memory is quite interesting, and I love his Fatal Flaw--and the way you wove his overly-dramatic style and poetic affectation into your descriptive prose is very nice!
    Looks good to me, but I'm not officially in group. Earth Pony Way is best way.

Well, the first thing I thought 'Medieval esque' is Shakespearean. Which, you know, is early modern ... but a lot of late Medieval customs such as set costumes, music, complex set direction and themes that populated Shakespearean theatre came from the 15th century.

So I figure I would write up a character in that spirit. Plus I wanted to play a pony who is heroic simply because they dress and act the part as opposed to actually being heroic. Somepony who requires just the right ensemble and channelling such a character and their theatrically-adapted performances on the stage in the past as painstakingly in character as possible, ends up summoning more courage than they really (shouldn't) have otherwise.

Plus I thought it was a fun take on honesty, all while providing me an outlet for my creative side describing outfits and mannerisms and how I use my Mend Hair or Dress-Up spells.

So if we ever visit the castle of a famous pony of the past, I'll likely be raiding their wardrobe and gawping at their portraits to get an exact idea of how to channel the role.

Think a more annoying changeling because I can't just shapeshift (unless I can tweak racial transformation) <.<
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-22 at 02:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi there, everyone! Always nice to see some new, eager players!

I'll mirror what Iron said about the writing on Moonflower's character sheet. I was uncertain what it said half the time, but that made it even better. Not to mention that his personality makes a great contrast to Silver's own desire to eschew who he is and be a unicorn.

Aegis looks cool too, Iron. Can't wait to see what shenanigans she will get up to. I do wonder about her skill, though. Seems a bit narrowly focused and overly broad at the same time, to just be good at combat in general. Will wait for Igor's input on that, though, since it is all pretty depending on how he rules that skill would apply.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

3. - Top - End - #273

Very glad that we have more people joining, hopefully, to keep this game going and get this fascinating story going some more!

Pity we lost Cloudy through. The trio of friends has become a duo. D:

Also? igordragonian? As long as Whispering is asleep, don't wait for me. Keep the game going. Waiting for me is kinda what almost killed us off in the first place.

Heck, just, don't wait for me in general unless its private.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, I have to make sure you are still around Anonmas, and your character is carrying the flower which is something...

schimatic-
    Hello- over all, looks like a fun character, a little nitpicking- in Gallopardia, flowers are artifacts which weren't seen in millenias.
    Beside that looks good.
    Important question- what can drag him into an adventure?

Oh, Hello Iron!

Aegis looks good. The easiest way, would be to connect her to the guard, which has it's history, but it's your character.
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    Hmm, I have to make sure you are still around Anonmas, and your character is carrying the flower which is something...
    I'll just post in the OOC here and there... and don't worry, Whispering isn't going to be sleeping forever. Likely just a short nap. He's mental and emotionally exhausted... but he hasn't done too much physically. Likely just a 20 minute nap.

... Maybe I should change his name to Wishpering Light through.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

sorry for keep mispronouncing him, when ever I find that everypony has posted, I am in stress to update as soon as possible

7. - Top - End - #277

BardGuy

schimatic-
    Hello- over all, looks like a fun character, a little nitpicking- in Gallopardia, flowers are artifacts which weren't seen in millenias.
    Beside that looks good.

Oh, Hello Iron!

Aegis looks good. The easiest way, would be to connect her to the guard, which has it's history, but it's your character.
    Oh, should I change my name?

I could change it to Astral Flare?

As for what could bring him into the adventure. I've been reading upa bit and you guys are on a wagon in a blizzard? I'm thinking that maybe my character paid in part to be delivered to a nearby settlement or to take them back to Maneville? Alternatively what ways do you think is a good way to connect to one of the guards?
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-22 at 06:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278

DrowGuy

schimatic-
    Beside that looks good.

Oh, Hello Iron!

Hmm, okay. I was kinda planning something like that anyways, considering that she has combat training and her special purpose is literally protection. What are my options for being connected to the guard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

9. - Top - End - #279

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Hi there, everyone! Always nice to see some new, eager players!

I'll mirror what Iron said about the writing on Moonflower's character sheet. I was uncertain what it said half the time, but that made it even better. Not to mention that his personality makes a great contrast to Silver's own desire to eschew who he is and be a unicorn.

Aegis looks cool too, Iron. Can't wait to see what shenanigans she will get up to. I do wonder about her skill, though. Seems a bit narrowly focused and overly broad at the same time, to just be good at combat in general. Will wait for Igor's input on that, though, since it is all pretty depending on how he rules that skill would apply.
    Thanks! Should be fun to bounce off eachother. Not sure how helpful/hindrance my character will be but it will be fun. I imagine my character will be giving fashion and posture tips of how to be (a particular) unicorn. The proper way to perform a cadenced trot.

... Every unicorn must know how to passage, naturally.
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-23 at 07:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280

sorry for keep mispronouncing him, when ever I find that everypony has posted, I am in stress to update as soon as possible
    Well, take your time. There's no rush.

And like I said, don't wait on me, Whispering is asleep, so go ahead and post whenever you want.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Iron Lord- well, check the NPC list, but in general, there are some families with history in the Guard, like Miltonian's character. OF course you might want to give your own twist.

Schimatic- I actually have an idea, your character, if brave enough, can stop the storm with a song, or something of the like, and learn some of what is going on, and so will join the story.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, sorry. I seem to have claimed the generic 'my family is in the guard' slot. Liking the concepts though

13. - Top - End - #283

DrowGuy

Well, I could be an orphan the guard took in or something... It's not like I have any particular ideas for Aegis's family
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.

14. - Top - End - #284

BardGuy

Iron Lord- well, check the NPC list, but in general, there are some families with history in the Guard, like Miltonian's character. OF course you might want to give your own twist.

Schimatic- I actually have an idea, your character, if brave enough, can stop the storm with a song, or something of the like, and learn some of what is going on, and so will join the story.
    Singing for a storm to slumber.... that does interest me. Is this a thing my character would know, however? That one can sing a storm to rest?
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-24 at 11:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not.
    But there is an Ice Knight who use instrument to create the storm...
    So I thought jt could fit.

16. - Top - End - #286

BardGuy

Probably not.
    But there is an Ice Knight who use instrument to create the storm...
    So I thought jt could fit.
    Astral Flare could still rock up with the guards ... the chance to see actual heroics and a fight scene with an assumed servant of the tempestuous Weeping princess of olde would be inspiration fuel....

17. - Top - End - #287

BardGuy

Spoiler: Astral Flare
    Show
    Name: Astral Flare Gender: Colt Tribe: Unicorn Age: 14

Cutie Mark: A partly overlapping trio of golden, stylized 5-point shooting stars moving from hind to front.

Mane & Tail: Fashionably shaggy lob of soft violet hair and hoof length tail Eyes: Blue Grey Coat: Platinum Blonde

Element of Harmony: Honesty CXP: 30

Description: A sweet-faced youth of Maneville that always carries a presence of their own. Head always held high. With a posture carried by an effete poetry of movement wherever he trots that is typically reserved for only nobility so certain of their regal nature. Dressed as if always prepared for a show, and certain where that the limelight will fall upon. Slight of build and taller than most ponies his age gives the impression of gentry in their youth within a fair kinder world, as opposed to someone actually built to survive the cold of this one.

Outlook: It would be unfair to simply underwrite Astral as narcissistic, rather one might say that he believes the world and ponies in it should occupy a more neoplatonist stoicism of treating their participation in the world as first and foremost method acting. They are living lives with perfect scripts, already. They should invest themselves utterly in the play of their lives. Taking solace in the role they are delivered, the means to strength to find heroism and success, or meet failure with sublime grace, and achieving what he considers true beauty with the part that will immortalize them forever.*

This is not to say he is callous about what happens to ponies. He often grounds himself in the joy and sadness of other ponies' stories. From which he holds them dear to heart, and seeks to bring it into his performances.

Goals: Above all else Astral Flare seeks to be a thespian. As anypony, anywhere, with any crowd. And so he lives to create the perfect stage of their 'performance' not just for himself but for others, whether on set or not.

History: Astral Flare is an only child, both of his parents operate a local trading charter company. Much to their disappoinment he has little room in his head for tax law and stocktaking, however.

From the earliest of ages showing a keen interest in costume design, cosmetology, theatrics and music. Theatre was the place where anypony could be heroic, beautiful, tragic and depraved. The idea of a pony selling so convincingly the pain of ancient princesses, their follies, and doing so as if merely a mask they wore once the curtain fell felt like the only real magic in the world.

While he quietly studies bookkeeping and trading with his mother, his free time and the stipend he gets from whatever tiny slice of the business operations he is responsible for goes almost entirely to paying a tutor who before retiring ran a performance troupe that toured the wintry lands of Gallopardia. Whatever else is spared is funneled into watching various performances.

Fatal Flaw: Histrionic. Astral Flare treats life as a play, and him emulating the duels of ancient Princesses and mythical heroic ponies as if merely a script with a foreseeable conclusion in tandem with the stability of his parents' affluence has bred a level of softness that is wholly exploitable by the evils of the world.*

Minor injuries are treated as life-threatening. Petty arguments are sensationalized. Personal rivalries whereby he is caught between he 'suffers' as if a Mercutio brought low betwixt the Montagues and Capulets.*

Mind: 2 Body: 1 Heart: 3

Fortitude: 25 Willpower: 35 Valour: 4

Edges:

Special Purpose: To channel anypony, anywhere, for any crowd. Everypony is my muse!
    Paragon's Gift: +1 Heart
    Heroic Heart: +1 Valour
    Power of Knowledge (Acting)
    (Free) Telekinesis

Gifted (Heart + Mind) 10
    Wizardry 5
    Skill Training: Acting 5
    Job Proficiency: Acting 5
    Lead Pony 5

Possessions:

Walk-in wardrobe
    Cosmetics travel case
    Journal packed full of famous actor's signatures along with some cameos of their likenesses.
    Blunt (faux pointed) stage longsword
    Jewelry box
    A trader's precision scales and weights
    Bolts of fabric
    Sewing kit
    Bag of 30 bits...
    Family signet ring
    Deed to Clover River property
    Various wigs...
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2019-02-27 at 12:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schismatic View Post
    Thanks! Should be fun to bounce off eachother. Not sure how helpful/hindrance my character will be but it will be fun. I imagine my character will be giving fashion and posture tips of how to be (a particular) unicorn. The proper way to perform a cadenced trot.

... Every unicorn must know how to passage, naturally.
    "I already know how to get through shrubs without getting my cloak torn. Besides, why the heck are you walking so weird?"

Yes, I think this will be quite enjoyable.

Speaking of which, dang I am not sure how to have Silver react to Diamond's hinting. On the one hoof making Honey Tongue squirm would be funny and very satisfying. On the other, Silver is the most stubborn colt in all of Gallopardia. He might just be too caught up with defending his grandpa and being supportive of the 'lets use the flower to bring back spring' plan to actually work Diamond here. And even if he did, surely his Fatal Flaw would apply and take away our Attribute bonus.

Hrm. Choices, choices.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Iron- Orphan could work I guess.

and everypony else- sorry,I am lately quite exuasted, and I want to give you a good update as possible.

20. - Top - End - #290

DrowGuy

Okay, I'll go with that then!

I'll be an orphan who was taken in and raised by the guard, and who grew up dreaming of doing little else. That's why she's trained in combat--she had the drive and plenty of teachers to help her. She probably doesn't have a fancy sword like Lantern Light though XD

Also, do you think you could put Aegis's character sheet in the OP?
    Last edited by The_Iron_Lord; 2018-09-27 at 08:03 PM.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. Edit the background please?
    So she was raised by a specific guardian, or right in thr barracks?

22. - Top - End - #292

DrowGuy

Well, is there a barracks sufficient to raise a filly in? That's what I kinda figured--that she was kinda collectively raised by all the guard.

I'll go edit it

Also, Miltonian, we'd probably know each other

EDIT: Do the guards drink a lot? I figured, but i didn't know for sure. Plus do they play poker? (or any card games)
    Last edited by The_Iron_Lord; 2018-09-28 at 07:34 AM.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

well, you see, you guys, having part in building the lore of Maneville, so really- up to you
    working on update

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

sorry for the short update..

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

It's fine, but I do have a question. Can I attack him or is he too far for me to reach this round?

26. - Top - End - #296

BardGuy

Yar, I was going to ask the same thing .... if not within range or preparedness, I don't mind withholding that modified horn blast until my next turn.

Oh .... 'Fifth Business' is a pretty obscure theatrical term meaning someone who is not a hero, heroine, villain or confidante that closes out a scene or draws together major plot elements. So basically my character is saying; "I would have accepted death at the hoofs of somepony like the Princess of Winter--But a mere lackey? Eat magic ray for spoiling my show, ********!"
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-29 at 10:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. My bad for not being clear. Honestly, usually I write update in few days, but I didn't got around it, so I was tired, but deternined to finally put an update.
    My deepest apologies.

Yes. You can. Blazing Torch tried- he simply was stabbed before he could aporach the Ice Knight.

And because the game is slow paced, if it's nit a discussion, I am trying to always give a situation which there is a valid way to react to.

Also, I guess Aegis know Blazing Torch as sort of comrade, and also Lantern Light.

28. - Top - End - #298

BardGuy

Ok. My bad for not being clear. Honestly, usually I write update in few days, but I didn't got around it, so I was tired, but deternined to finally put an update.
    My deepest apologies.

Yes. You can. Blazing Torch tried- he simply was stabbed before he could aporach the Ice Knight.

And because the game is slow paced, if it's nit a discussion, I am trying to always give a situation which there is a valid way to react to.

Also, I guess Aegis know Blazing Torch as sort of comrade, and also Lantern Light.
    That's fine ...So I'll probably use my horn bolt to help take the heat off Blazing Torch. Help distribute the pain ... though my fatal flaw will probably kick in once I get hurt. I figured a heat modified spell would get its attention. So basically setting the scene kind of that cliched moment where the big bad/monster/etc is about to strike somepony again and suddenly they get struck from the back/side from somepony who they weren't paying any mind to to help alleviate the situation and create another opening for one of their allies.

Given that my character is wearing a red chiffon gown and has one custom spell left to implement, could I perhaps use that to channel Princess Letta in order to inflict disadvantages on the Ice Knight next turn if I manage to get its attention? Basically use my special purpose and my acting to see if I can riddle the Ice Knight with fear or grief over past trauma if they share a mental connection with the Winter Princess?

I doubt a little horn blast will be more than a nuisance given I don't trust myself to make more than simple Wizardry tricks ... But I do reckon I have a pretty good chance of making a decent portrayal of Princess Letta ... or at least try to channel that bearing enough to perhaps jostle some past trauma if the Winter Princess is psychologically connected to her Ice Knights, or vice versa?
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-30 at 06:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we see how it works. Though, he didn't even moved to stab Blazing Torch.
    It seems like sort of... Snowkenesis. He don't has to move, and the whole snow around him, can turn into weapons.
    But yeah, it might distract him.

Chaneling Letta's powers?
    Um.. nope. As far as everypony know she is very very very dead.

And invoking traumas and stuff is an intresting thing, but to be honest, fluff wise, it will require magical studying in very specific porpuse.

Usually I preffer to be a Yes-GM... sorry..

I would have preffered to let you in, slowly getting into the action and stuff, but I want you to join the bus, because it's about to drive away.

30. - Top - End - #300

BardGuy

Well, we see how it works. Though, he didn't even moved to stab Blazing Torch.
    It seems like sort of... Snowkenesis. He don't has to move, and the whole snow around him, can turn into weapons.
    But yeah, it might distract him.

Chaneling Letta's powers?
    Um.. nope. As far as everypony know she is very very very dead.

And invoking traumas and stuff is an intresting thing, but to be honest, fluff wise, it will require magical studying in very specific porpuse.

Usually I preffer to be a Yes-GM... sorry..

I would have preffered to let you in, slowly getting into the action and stuff, but I want you to join the bus, because it's about to drive away.
    Oh no, not channelling her powers, sorry. Kind of like... like imagine someone who has had a bad experience with spiders ... and then throwing a spider at them?

So when I say 'channeling' I mean basically looking like and acting like Letta from how she is depicted in plays and perhaps being that spider? Provoking an emotional response based on past trauma?
    Last edited by Schismatic; 2018-09-30 at 03:09 PM.