New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Hearthstone 21: We DO take candle!

Y'know what might have a shot at working? Genn Hunter.

A lot of the real good Hunter cards are on even, and for Face Hunter and Mid-Range Hunter, spamming several more hero powers over the course of the game can be huge. That's the Hero Power that gets the most out of going down to 1 mana.

By itself that's not going to be enough to make the deck work, but it's something I'm keeping in mind for if Hunter gets any other powerhouse cards this set.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2018-03-18 at 03:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

A number of them are odd, though. Dire Mole, Eaglehorn, Skill Command come to mind. Animal Companion too.

Face Hunter would actually suffer heavily from not having a 1-drop.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2018-03-18 at 07:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #633

Planetar

Playing quest paladin against I believe Galadriel. Land a big lynessa after I think I've exhausted resources and out pops... Doomsayer from a Silvermoon Portal. RIP.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

After a disappointing Arena run (I was doing pretty good, 3 wins/1 loss and then had one game where I didn't draw any of my cards in time to matter against a Mage, and then one where a Warlock was just able to faceroll because I couldn't get anything on the board AGAIN while he had a full board by turn 3) I opened my consolation pack and out pops Rin, The First Disciple, so now I'm pretty happy.

This seems like a really interesting card to build a deck around.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

I think Rin has seen use regularly in control Warlock. While it's bad tempo, none of the demons cost a card, which lets you get board presence without using up resources. This lets you grind out opponents lategame.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Playing quest paladin against I believe Galadriel. Land a big lynessa after I think I've exhausted resources and out pops... Doomsayer from a Silvermoon Portal. RIP.
    Nope, not me (as a matter of fact this is the only place where I use this username, I'm Ciabatta in Blizzard games) (and it's not Galadriel anyways :P )

But dang. Quest paladin truly has everything going against it. Maybe they print more buffs (and no more silences) next expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Test run for Rin deck went pretty well, was very satisfying.

I blew up a man's Cthun. I almost feel bad.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rin works well as an alternate win condition. I wouldn't build around her or anything, but as a one-card wonder to supplement an existing strategy she's not bad. The rare Johnny/Timmy card that isn't terrible outside Arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

*Rin condition, as Savjz puts it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Rin works well as an alternate win condition. I wouldn't build around her or anything, but as a one-card wonder to supplement an existing strategy she's not bad. The rare Johnny/Timmy card that isn't terrible outside Arena.
    Imho, Rin is NOT a win condition in the current meta. But it is incredible value. Resummon with N'zoth (and partial demon summons with Gul'dan), Tempo 10/10 with the Skull (because 80% of the time you have the skull equipped and the 10/10 in hand), and a whole slew of Fel Hunters.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Rin blowing up the other person's deck is a win condition in one very specific situation, which is when you get her early into a control deck that isn't pressuring you. Mainly the mirror, sometimes OTK paladin or the really slow control mages. Once in a while, priest

Rin providing card advantage is a win condition separately in the mirror match or against certain value decks like some of the dragon priest variants, where you both kill each other's entire decks, and the fact that Rin represents 7 extra cards is highly relevant.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #642
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

If anyone would like a recommendation for a deck to play that is reasonably good but mostly just a lot of fun, I can highly advocate for Resurrection Priest.

It's one of the few decks of Kripparian's for which I actually had 26/30 cards and enough dust to craft the missing four, which was a novelty in and of itself, and its certainly a lot easier to handle than his Dead-Man's-Hand-Warrior

I went 7-4 yesterday, which is not only a very good win rate for me but also about three times as many games as I am usually inclined to play in one sitting. The deck has obvious weaknesses against fast aggro decks, however in my defence a) the King's Bane Rogue managed to draw and play a 6/3 life-link poisonous weapon by turn 4 which was about as well as his deck could ever go, and b) if you're playing Beast/FaceHunter in Wild Casual then there's clearly worse things wrong with you than just meeting me in a card game.

Having Y'sharj summon himself, then get Psychic Scream'd, then resurrected, then summon himself again three times in one game is probably the biggest highlight of the evening - the guy just would not stay down.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    If anyone would like a recommendation for a deck to play that is reasonably good but mostly just a lot of fun, I can highly advocate for Resurrection Priest.

It's one of the few decks of Kripparian's for which I actually had 26/30 cards and enough dust to craft the missing four, which was a novelty in and of itself, and its certainly a lot easier to handle than his Dead-Man's-Hand-Warrior

I went 7-4 yesterday, which is not only a very good win rate for me but also about three times as many games as I am usually inclined to play in one sitting. The deck has obvious weaknesses against fast aggro decks, however in my defence a) the King's Bane Rogue managed to draw and play a 6/3 life-link poisonous weapon by turn 4 which was about as well as his deck could ever go, and b) if you're playing Beast/FaceHunter in Wild Casual then there's clearly worse things wrong with you than just meeting me in a card game.

Having Y'sharj summon himself, then get Psychic Scream'd, then resurrected, then summon himself again three times in one game is probably the biggest highlight of the evening - the guy just would not stay down.
    Is this the Standard or Wild version of the deck?

The Timmy part of me (the one who loves playing big, flashy minions) enjoys the deck; I've played Lich Kings or Obsidian Statues over and over and I've always had a soft spot for Y'Sharjj because he was the first Old God I got out of a pack and I was bummed he wasn't initially viable. Seeing Aggro decks struggle to kill 4-5 consecutive Obsidian Statues makes me smile.

The Spike part of me (the one that likes to win and find cool plays) is kind of mixed about the deck. It's really reliant on Barnes on Turn 4, which is really tilting when you don't get him 3-4 consecutive games. Then there are the games where you're up against Aggro and are dead turn 5 or especially turn 6 when you get to summon a 5/5 Barnes.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I've been using the Wild version, as I don't have enough of the K&C/Frozen Throne cards to convert it across. I'm sure that it could be done, though I haven't given it much thought.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-03-20 at 10:52 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've been using the Wild version, as I don't have enough of the K&C/Frozen Throne cards to convert it across. I'm sure that it could be done, though I haven't given it much thought.
    It's basically the same deck in Standard, but without Resurrect. It's normally called "Big Priest" in the Standard format.

As you noted, it works pretty well against any kind of Controlling deck, but it's garbage against Aggro unless you high-roll Barnes or manage to draw all your good removal spells first.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-03-20 at 02:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646

Am I missing something with this brawl? All four opponents I fought went Paladin, and the first three going Swarm. I mean, it's not OP, I've yet to lose. That's just a notable amount of uniformity I've noticed.
    Last edited by Epinephrine_Syn; 2018-03-22 at 06:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    Am I missing something with this brawl? All four opponents I fought went Paladin, and the first three going Swarm. I mean, it's not OP, I've yet to lose. That's just a notable amount of uniformity I've noticed.
    That is usually the common Hearthstone player overvaluing tips they have heard in a stream or on hearthpwn/HStopdecks. Back when Day 9 did his Decktacular episodes featuring a fun deck, the following day or days you saw a good chunk of these on the ladder, too.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen a pretty good mix of classes, but a lot of people going Mind or Tech. Swarm seems a bit weak.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

My first win was Swarm Shaman, it seemed pretty good to me.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Two new Echo cards.

Warpath: 2 mana Warrior Spell: Echo: Deal 1 damage to all Minions.

Face Collector: Rogue Legendary: Echo: 3 mana, 2/2, Battlecry: Add a random Legendary minion to your hand.

Warpath looks like it might be good in a controlly style warrior, especially with Sleep with the Fishes rotating.

Face Collector looks more like a meme card, because random legendaries aren't consistently good.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Two new Echo cards.

Warpath: 2 mana Warrior Spell: Echo: Deal 1 damage to all Minions.

Face Collector: Rogue Legendary: Echo: 3 mana, 2/2, Battlecry: Add a random Legendary minion to your hand.

Warpath looks like it might be good in a controlly style warrior, especially with Sleep with the Fishes rotating.

Face Collector looks more like a meme card, because random legendaries aren't consistently good.
    Warpath strikes me as very iffy. The mana cost to damage ratio just isn't great. Casting it exactly twice looks okay, it becomes Consecration that way, though with the side-effect of hitting your minions too. Casting it more than twice looks like it just costs too much - and even casting it once, it's Whirlwind that you paid twice as much for. And Warrior already has a good source of Whirlwind besides the actual spell that isn't rotating out (Blood Razor).

Face Collector I'm inclined to agree with you on. It is theoretically pretty high value - at max it's 9 mana for three 2/2s and drawing three legendaries, which does sound good in a control matchup. The catch is the big asterisk that there's no guarantee those will be good legendaries. Also, it's pretty awful against non-control decks due to being so slow (even if you just play it once for tempo, odds are the legendary it gives you will be expensive and probably bad against faster decks, since that's how most legendaries are). Plus it's limited by being a Rogue card - other than Kingsbane Rogue, there's not really any such thing as a value-oriented Rogue deck, and Kingsbane Rogue doesn't want a card like this one.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Face Collector is a pretty good pickup in Arena, where even the bad legendaries have a good shot at being valuable. I agree, though, It's probably not strong enough for constructed.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Warpath strikes me as very iffy. The mana cost to damage ratio just isn't great. Casting it exactly twice looks okay, it becomes Consecration that way, though with the side-effect of hitting your minions too. Casting it more than twice looks like it just costs too much - and even casting it once, it's Whirlwind that you paid twice as much for. And Warrior already has a good source of Whirlwind besides the actual spell that isn't rotating out (Blood Razor).
    It's definitely going to see play in Fatigue Warrior, especially given the flexibility of the removal and that it's better against stuff with Deathrattles and Divine Shields.

It's Consecration at 4 mana, Excavated Evil at 6, Flamestrike at 8.

The issue is that Fatigue Warrior's a marginal deck at the moment.

It'll also be interesting to see if Warrior gets any more cards like Rotface and the other "totally not Enrage" minions, that have an effect every time they take damage and if this card can unlock those decks.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Warpath strikes me as very iffy.
    Warpath looks *super* strong to me.
    Like, push-blood-razor-out kind of strong.
    I'm very confident it's going to see a lot of play, and will be the most popular form of whirlwind effects (at least unless they print more, or they print some weapon interaction, etc)

Face collector, yeah, looks bad. It's expensive and unreliable card draw. Like Thistle Tea / Cabalist tome.
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2018-03-23 at 01:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Warpath looks amazing, I'm with Gandariel that it's run in every warrior deck. Sure, it's not the most efficient possible effect for its cost, but people used to run revenge all the time and often correctly played it as a 2 mana whirlwind. Warpath is incredibly flexible, allowing you to spend a lot of mana to clear the board or a little mana to get that small but critical aoe. It also blasts through divine shields, potentially draws multiple cards on acolyte, and can activate your own enrage minions if you have them. It slices, it dices, it probably makes julienne fries too.

Face collector's value is entirely dependent on format speed and whether a slow Rogue other than Kingsbane gets popular (it synergizes poorly with Kingsbane, unfortunately). If you can take a turn to play a small board and draw several cards, that's pretty strong, but it's the kind of card that does nothing to save you if you're being rushed, nothing to prevent your opponent from comboing, and nothing to immediately deal with a problem minion. So...it's probably bad, but maybe there will be a value rogue deck that makes it good.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Warpath looks *super* strong to me.
    Like, push-blood-razor-out kind of strong.
    I do not think it'll push a weapon out of the way. Often the assymetrical AE removal is what makes the razor work. I could see control decks with 1 Warpath/2 Razors however or 1/1.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

I like warpath just because it is some AoE for warrior. Sleep with the fishes gets rotated out with this expansion I think (As well as ravaging ghoul), so warrior only has whirlwind, bloodrazer, their deathknight, reckless flurry and brawl left for AoE. 3 out of the 5 does only 1 damage to everything the turn it is played, 1 is pretty bad and 1 has a chance of leaving an important minion up. Warpath has the opportunity to fulfill the slot of warrior AoE that can kill bigger creatures with out any chance of leaving them up (or even just killing 2 health minions which is a bit of a problem for warrior)

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Warpath is a repeatable Garrosh DK power. That's pretty nice. Downside is that it requires a fair amount of mana to devastate a board. At 6 mana, you can wipe 3 health. Murloc pally has already buffed past that, although you could possibly put a dent in standard Arms pally.

That's probably the biggest issue: swarm decks have to be AoE'd before they can build up, or else hit with so much damage that they crumble.

Tons of armor gain potential from Armorsmith, though. I'm currently picturing it in a Wild patron deck. One tick of Thaurissan on either this or Patron, and you get three whirlwinds out of a two card combo.

Face Collector is a minion version of Cabalist's Tome, but in a class that doesn't really support a greedy value playstyle. Kingsbane does it better.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2018-03-23 at 06:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

I've actually come around a bit on face collector.

Yeah he's only ever usable if a control rogue deck suddenly appears, but he's much better than cabalist's tome.
    He's like Varian Wrynn, but no cheating minions, and no going closer to fatigue. And you can cast him for 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

If you have a cost discount on an echo card, do the echo copies keep the discount? Face Collector as a 1/1 for 1 looks a lot better.

Edit: Right, wiki says that won't work. NVM. On the other hand, summoning portal echoes do work. I sense questing adventurer gimmick.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2018-03-23 at 11:10 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.