New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Hearthstone 21: We DO take candle!

The only boss I never beat was the dragon with treasures. One victory against Togwaggle, who I personally consider the worst boss due to how completely RNG he is. The Darkness, Azari, and Xul I faced enough times to more or less work out the best ways to handle them, though they didn't always work.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2018-01-09 at 12:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

I've beaten all of them at least once.

Azari: for some reason I met him extremely frequently. Won some (i think 3 classes), lost some (2-3)
    This one is fairly straight forward, but very strong. He has a pretty decent early game, lots of removal, and a strong lategame clock.
    You need a strong deck that can win quickly and doesn't depend on one specific card.

Xul: only met him once and won. The special cards he gets aren't *that* insane. If he has a howl fiend when he finishes his quest you can force a discard (I tried but failed).
    Other than that, he's like Azari. No crazy strats or tricks, your deck needs a game plan or his lategame gimmick will kill you.

King Togwaggle: only met him once, won (barely): he can pull off some really nasty stuff (wand of disintegration on my deathrattle board), but his AI can be very stupid (he cast 6 party portals, which let me recover).
    Can't say anything else about him, it's very RNG heavy.

Vaelstraz (the dragon): met him twice and won easily. I think this one is the easiest: Unless he draws a lot of buffs he can't really force you to kill the chests early.
    While all chests are up he is fairly easy. Even with one destroyed chest he isn't anything crazy. When more are down you might be in trouble... but then again the treasures you got can probably save you.

Darkness: I know I lost once to him, so my counting says I met him 3 times and won 2: this one is actually pretty hard, depending on your deck.
    I ended up beating him once with fatigue (don't remember the class) and once as Hunter with DK Rexxar and "5+ cost minions cost 5". After a lot of struggle (and a lucky poisonous exploding bloatbat) the power of zombeasts got me back up and provided a constant stream of dudes which (eventually) overpowered his 5/5s and removal.
    I did win without fatigue, but he had like 2 cards left in the deck when I got lethal. So if there is a way to beat him quickly, I didn't find it :P

So, even though I didn't have that many encounters with the bosses, my personal ranking (from hardest to easiest) is Azari, Darkness, Xol, Togwaggle, Vaelstraz.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Darkness is most commonly beaten in fatigue anyway. His deck is more or less designed with that sense, with heavy mass removals and whatnot. Some pointers, since I've faced him almost ten times now:

-Early tempo is pretty good.
    -Unless it's a special case, always try to knock out 3 or more darknesses with your candle.
    -Constant tempo instead of one turn army is key. He has Psychic Screams, Twisting Nethers, Dooms, etc.
    -Double deathrattles work well.
    -Double battlecries work well.
    -2x Health works well.
    -5 cost thingy works well, if you have a deck like that.
    -Jade or C'Thun always work well, doubly so with double battlecry.
    -Constant generations without extra card draws work incredibly well, like Wax Rager, Staff of the Archmage, Tad's Pole, Skull of the Man'ari, Deathstalker Rexxar, etc.
    -Anything with lifesteal works well.

-Spells generally don't work very well. But, board clears or freezes work well.
    -Lots of card draws may not work so well.
    -Normal weapons may not work so well, but something long-winded like Valanyr of course works well.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-01-09 at 03:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

I have yet to see Xul. Togwaggle is a crapshoot for me. I found Azari fairly easy every time I got him since he doesn't have any really frustrating mechanics except your tears as the treasure you got from boss 7 is gobbled up and you never get a chance to play it that run. The dragon I've only lost once to, because he drew all his big buffs early and started buffing all the chests (and I screwed up by killing his whelps and letting him summon in stronger minions =/).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

dungeon runs count for wins toward gold hero?
    did not know that
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    dungeon runs count for wins toward gold hero?
    did not know that
    No they don't. Only ranked wins count towards gold hero.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Guys, I have 1600-3200 dust. What should I craft in order to rank up beyond 15?

I don't have Patches, Thalnos or Leeroy and don't intend to craft them.

I'm thinking about crafting either Raza and Shadowreaper Anduin(already have Velen and Lyra), or Antonidas and Open the Waygate(already have FLJ and Pyros)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    Guys, I have 1600-3200 dust. What should I craft in order to rank up beyond 15?

I don't have Patches, Thalnos or Leeroy and don't intend to craft them.

I'm thinking about crafting either Raza and Shadowreaper Anduin(already have Velen and Lyra), or Antonidas and Open the Waygate(already have FLJ and Pyros)
    Out of those options I'd go razanduin, but honestly? Probably neither of those. Raza rotates in 3 months and is a bad investment now, anduin isn't worth it without him.

Check out spiteful summoner dragon priest. I think the whole deck has no legends, and is in total about as much dust as you are looking to spend. It carried me from 15 to 7 over the course of a 6 hour run last month.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Out of those options I'd go razanduin, but honestly? Probably neither of those. Raza rotates in 3 months and is a bad investment now, anduin isn't worth it without him.

Check out spiteful summoner dragon priest. I think the whole deck has no legends, and is in total about as much dust as you are looking to spend. It carried me from 15 to 7 over the course of a 6 hour run last month.
    On the plus side, Raza, Anduin, Kazakus, Reno, Velen, Lyra will always be the backbone of a good Wild deck even after Raza rotates. It's also a ridiculously fun deck to play at the moment, even though I'm constantly making misplays.

Honestly to get past rank 15, I don't think you even need legendaries. Just put together an okay midrange hunter deck and you should get there with win streak bonuses.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-01-09 at 11:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

anduin isn't worth it without [Raza].
    Really? I think you are badly mistaken. A good Anduin play can regularly kill up to 3 enemy creatures. The hero power gets upgraded to be proactive instead of reactive and is usable several times per turn. Anduin is a great card and the best death knight.

Imho you should play Face Hunter or Midrange and preserve your dust.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's not a matter of dust cost. You can get legend (or at least rank 5) with very cheap decks.

My suggestion? Craft two Call to Arms and two Corridor Creepers, and go aggro paladin. That deck is pretty good, and won't lose much in the 2018 rotation.

Midrange Hunter is also good.
    I also really like good old Zoo, which doesn't need any legend (or Epic IIRC)
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2018-01-10 at 08:15 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

IMO, Corridor Creeper is definitely your first craft. It slots into most decks, including budget decks, and there's no way Blizzard can reduce its effectiveness without directly nerfing, which means you'll get a dust refund if they do.

Agree with Gandariel, Call to Arms is busted.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2018-01-10 at 12:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

beat todays brawl with a quick and easy priest shenanigans deck
    4 minions with 6 health
    divine spirit
    inner fire
    shadow vision
    thalnos
    mind blast
    northshire
    power word shield

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    No they don't. Only ranked wins count towards gold hero.
    thats what i thought, but from what Psyren said
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I've been using DR to level the classes I never play in other modes like Hunter and Rogue.
    i thought i had missed something
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2018-01-10 at 02:06 PM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

14. - Top - End - #254
    Colossus in the Playground

Apparently the lack of any connection between "level" and "golden hero."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah I wasn't talking about golden heroes at all, sorry.

The only thing I said about golden heroes was that I was fine with the non-basic ones - Maiev, Liadrin, Medivh etc
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I decided to go for a Mage deck built around an old friend. Sorcerer's Apprentice, Frostbolt, and Ice Lance plus other cards to fill the space.

Fought a Priest who seemed pretty safe ending his turn at 27 health. Not against one Frostbolt and eight Ice Lances! Naturally, I had an Apprentice on board at the time.

EDIT: Did I say eight? I meant six. Yes, six.
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2018-01-10 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Maths Fail
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    I decided to go for a Mage deck built around an old friend. Sorcerer's Apprentice, Frostbolt, and Ice Lance plus other cards to fill the space.

Fought a Priest who seemed pretty safe ending his turn at 27 health. Not against one Frostbolt and eight Ice Lances! Naturally, I had an Apprentice on board at the time.

EDIT: Did I say eight? I meant six. Yes, six.
    This is actually what I used to beat this week's Brawl. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    This is actually what I used to beat this week's Brawl. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Ooh, good idea. I'm totally stealing this.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

I got lucky on this weeks brawl, I filled my deck with three cards:

1. The Murlocs Unite
    2. Two Murloc Tidecallers

Thus I played the first, then the second, then a shadow copy of the second, and my opponent thinking that meant I could just endlessly summon more tidecallers, each more powerful than the last for the rest the game, he conceded right there.

But thats not how the Brawl works. turns out, nothing but shadow copies means you have nothing to copy after that. so I bluffed a guy into conceding with three cards for an easy pack.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #260

Wow what a great game I just had. I saw some chatter about the Weasel Tunneler Priest deck, and thought it sounded fun... so decided to give it a whirl. 2000 dust of potential regrets later, I am matching up against the meta.

A few aggro paladin and rogue games that were "eh okay" later, I run into a Warlock. Not sure if he was Control or Cube, because I pulled a Rin off Crystal Oracle early, and both of us played her on curve, turn 6.

Mine stuck around for a while, due to not getting a good place to kill it off. My opponent on the other hand managed to destroy my deck on turn 10, taking out 15 cards with it. I eventually also destroyed 15 cards, about 5 turns later but I'd guess about half of those were Weasel Tunneler and stuff I shuffled back with a psychic scream.

The game went about 9 turns into fatigue, with me finally winning. I played Amara, Warden of Hope, 3 times in those 9 turns, and ultimately won by Cubing the 6/6 seal demon and then mirage callering it, giving me 24/24 worth of stats on the board after his board clear.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

1. The Murlocs Unite

Thus I played the first, then the second, then a shadow copy of the second, and my opponent thinking that meant I could just endlessly summon more tidecallers, each more powerful than the last for the rest the game, he conceded right there.

But thats not how the Brawl works. turns out, nothing but shadow copies means you have nothing to copy after that. so I bluffed a guy into conceding with three cards for an easy pack.
    You guys make me feel bad for just building a random Warlock deck with about 8 slots free for Shadow Projection.

Then again I won, so eh. I get peeved when people concede just because I have lethal. No consideration for people trying to finish their "Play 50 Warlock cards" quests. =/

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

1. The Murlocs Unite

I had something similar - both me and my opponent had only a few cards in our deck and didn't draw any of them.

After staring at each other doing nothing for four turns, he conceded. I decided to just take my pack and call it a day.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Wow what a great game I just had. I saw some chatter about the Weasel Tunneler Priest deck, and thought it sounded fun... so decided to give it a whirl. 2000 dust of potential regrets later, I am matching up against the meta.

A few aggro paladin and rogue games that were "eh okay" later, I run into a Warlock. Not sure if he was Control or Cube, because I pulled a Rin off Crystal Oracle early, and both of us played her on curve, turn 6.

Mine stuck around for a while, due to not getting a good place to kill it off. My opponent on the other hand managed to destroy my deck on turn 10, taking out 15 cards with it. I eventually also destroyed 15 cards, about 5 turns later but I'd guess about half of those were Weasel Tunneler and stuff I shuffled back with a psychic scream.

The game went about 9 turns into fatigue, with me finally winning. I played Amara, Warden of Hope, 3 times in those 9 turns, and ultimately won by Cubing the 6/6 seal demon and then mirage callering it, giving me 24/24 worth of stats on the board after his board clear.
    Grats. I think Savjz may have created that deck. I've watched him pilot it and it's a glorious clusterf*** of a deck; it's hard to play, very grindy, but gets into hilarious situations. He even had a chat command "!wincondition" just because people kept asking how he was supposed to win with the deck. (Apparently, it's to create a bunch of weasels, shuffle them into the opponent's deck and then overwhelm them when they start drawing nothing but weasels). Or in true priest fashion, win with your opponent's win condition.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-01-14 at 03:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Grats. I think Savjz may have created that deck. I've watched him pilot it and it's a glorious clusterf*** of a deck; it's hard to play, very grindy, but gets into hilarious situations. He even had a chat command "!wincondition" just because people kept asking how he was supposed to win with the deck. (Apparently, it's to create a bunch of weasels, shuffle them into the opponent's deck and then overwhelm them when they start drawing nothing but weasels). Or in true priest fashion, win with your opponent's win condition.
    Yes the deck was made by savjz. What you described has been my experience with it. The deck is a blast to play, it can be really hard against aggro but beautiful against anything slower. That said even with my aggro troubles, if I live to turn 6 or 7 I will Outlast any aggro deck purely through Amara value.

Edit: Deck continues to prove it's more than just a meme. Climbed my way from 15 to 10, managed a better win rate with it than I was pulling with either Dragon Priest or Aggro Paladin. I haven't hit 5 since KoFT launched (Geist basically made Silence/Combo Priest super frustrating to play, and that was my favorite deck by far), but I think I may push for it this month.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2018-01-15 at 12:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Welp, went and created a Razanduin deck. I am not proud of myself. I got to 15 today switching between that and a Deathrattle Hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Welp, went and created a Razanduin deck. I am not proud of myself. I got to 15 today switching between that and a Deathrattle Hunter.
    Eh, don't sweat it. You worked hard to gather that dust, why not use it to make the best deck possible?

I remember when Pirate Warrior was the express ticket to Legend and everyone seemed to climb aboard. I tried to be the hipster who didn't even though I had more than enough dust to craft the deck, and now I think that I actually missed out. So you do your thing.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Remember to research the decks that counter you hard, so that you don't get frustrated by seemingly impossible match-ups. A lot of decks counter Raza decks currently.

And actually I feel my dislike gravitating towards Control-Warlock much much more (not the Cube Variant). If everything goes perfect for them, you have about 6-8 Voidlords to grind through representing 48-63 damage mitigation, often more.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-01-15 at 11:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Pfft. Feel no shame for playing the top tier decks: Ranked is for climbing and you should play whichever deck you win with and have fun playing. Razakus is actually a difficult deck to play, a ton of fun to play, and there's a lot of skill involved in figuring out the best way to use your cards and which cards to include. A lot of the meta is targeting Razakus Priest and there's a bunch of Aggro decks ready to smash your face in.

I'm climbing with Aggro Paladin and that deck is cancerous, although countered very hard by Control Warlock and not a good tournament deck.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-01-16 at 01:49 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Have a list for aggro paladin? I'm in the mood to play some cancer.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Have a list for aggro paladin? I'm in the mood to play some cancer.
    Spoiler: Decklist
    Show

### Standard Aggro Paladin
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Mammoth
    #
    # 2x (1) Acherus Veteran
    # 2x (1) Argent Squire
    # 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
    # 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
    # 2x (1) Righteous Protector
    # 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
    # 2x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha
    # 2x (2) Knife Juggler
    # 2x (3) Divine Favor
    # 2x (3) Rallying Blade
    # 2x (3) Unidentified Maul
    # 2x (4) Blessing of Kings
    # 2x (4) Call to Arms
    # 1x (4) Spellbreaker
    # 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    # 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
    # 2x (7) Corridor Creeper
    #
    AAECAZ8FBK8E8gWRvAK5wQINpwXUBfUFrwfZB7EI2a4CuMcC48 sClc4C+NIC+9MC1uUCAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
    # https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/dec...aggro-paladin/

I apparently have 1 Cobalt Scalebane instead of 1 Blessing of Kings.

For mulligans, I tend to look for Corridor Creeper/Call to Arms (i.e. the broken cards) and rely on the low curve to get me early plays. I also keep one Southsea Deckhand on the mulligan, because it pulls Patches, and makes a follow-up Dire Wolf Alpha good.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-01-16 at 11:16 AM.