Titan in the Playground

Default Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom

The first trailer answers a very important question:

Did anyone actually ask for this movie?

No.

No, I did not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why, why, WHY would you build a multi-billion-dollar theme park on an active frackin' volcano?

Geologists can actually tell if something is a volcano. They're really good at that. They even make maps so other people will know.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom

Geothermal power, might have been part of the reason Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna were picked, of the islands Hammond had access to.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the Michael Crichton novels as I recall, a point is made of how one of the animal tags that is found, has corrosion from volcanic gas.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-08 at 07:01 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Meh.

I mean, I really thought Jurassic World was a poorly scripted cliched mess with thinly sketched characters and really pitiable dialogue, so I am admittedly coming in with a certain bias... but still, seeing CGI dinosaurs isn't exciting anymore and that's 90% of this trailer/teaser thingy.

I like Chris Pratt of course - so there's that - but I have no attachment to his character in Jurassic World because there was nothing to attach to aside from the actor playing him. I honestly don't care if he's killed, not that he will be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

...Well I'm excited for it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hmm, dinosaurs and explosions. Honestly, I don't mind fun dumb b-grade schlock. So, yeah, I'm in!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Serious question, why do they keep putting people in these? Does anybody care about them? Wouldn't this be much better at this point if it was just dinosaurs running around doing dinosaur stuff? 'Cause if you showed me a preview for a movie called "Two Hours of T-Rex" I'd be there opening night.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Serious question, why do they keep putting people in these? Does anybody care about them? Wouldn't this be much better at this point if it was just dinosaurs running around doing dinosaur stuff? 'Cause if you showed me a preview for a movie called "Two Hours of T-Rex" I'd be there opening night.
    Yeah. At the point they gave up even the pretense of trying to be vaguely real, I lost all interest.

Walking with Dinosaurs: the Cinema Version I'd definitely be down for.

Something that has as much accuracy as a Syfy original - absolutely not.

(As a life-long dinosaur fan who was pointing out the errors in children's educational programs since I was four, I find disregard for the actual creatures actually kind of personally offensive. Esepcailly in this day and age when research is a simple as a few seconds on google and wikipedia, and yet we still see places producing Pteranodons - with teeth - called Pterodactyls (and don't get me started on that last one).)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Geothermal power, might have been part of the reason Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna were picked, of the islands Hammond had access to.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the Michael Crichton novels as I recall, a point is made of how one of the animal tags that is found, has corrosion from volcanic gas.
    Specifically The Lost World, yes. I don't recall that being in the first book, though
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

9. - Top - End - #9

Re: Unrealistic dinos: They do kind of have to maintain continuity with the earlier films, and honestly, T-rex or Velociraptors with feathers wouldn't be quite as intimidating as the iconic scaly ones(especially if the velociraptors were correctly sized instead of deinonychus sized. They'd be little bloodthirsty turkeys, irony of irony from the first film)

Besides, as has been stated in the first, third, and fourth films, these aren't "real" dinosaurs in-universe. They are approximations made with whatever DNA they have on hand and built to people's expectations.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Re: Unrealistic dinos: They do kind of have to maintain continuity with the earlier films, and honestly, T-rex or Velociraptors with feathers wouldn't be quite as intimidating as the iconic scaly ones(especially if the velociraptors were correctly sized instead of deinonychus sized. They'd be little bloodthirsty turkeys, irony of irony from the first film)

Besides, as has been stated in the first, third, and fourth films, these aren't "real" dinosaurs in-universe. They are approximations made with whatever DNA they have on hand and built to people's expectations.
    I never understand why people say that feathered dinosaurs wouldn't be intimidating. People are frequently intimidated by geese, which are small, toothless, have tiny little claws, and look like a golf club sticking out of a football with some flippers attached to the bottom. This is not an inherently scary sort of animal, certainly not to an adult human, but damn if a goose guarding her (or his) goslings can't freak a person out.

Now make that the better part of human-sized, give it claws, serious teeth, a much more agile build for moving on land, and a genuine appetite for red meat. That's plenty intimidating to be getting on with.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I never understand why people say that feathered dinosaurs wouldn't be intimidating. People are frequently intimidated by geese, which are small, toothless, have tiny little claws, and look like a golf club sticking out of a football with some flippers attached to the bottom. This is not an inherently scary sort of animal, certainly not to an adult human, but damn if a goose guarding her (or his) goslings can't freak a person out.

Now make that the better part of human-sized, give it claws, serious teeth, a much more agile build for moving on land, and a genuine appetite for red meat. That's plenty intimidating to be getting on with.
    At least feathered dinos would add novelty to the experience. Wouldn't have to invent an even betterer super-dinosaur with katana claws and laser breath or something.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-12-08 at 09:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I said not quite as intimidating. not "not intimidating."

A vicious turkey might be scary, but a vicious man-sized lizard is more so.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Right? Same thing for a new Aliens movie, I'd totally be down if it was just 'Two Hours of Xenomorph'.

I think it has to do with the fact people in the entertainment business don't believe a people will care about a movie that doesn't have humans in it in some capacity. Which is foolish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Yeah. At the point they gave up even the pretense of trying to be vaguely real, I lost all interest.

Walking with Dinosaurs: the Cinema Version I'd definitely be down for.

Something that has as much accuracy as a Syfy original - absolutely not.

(As a life-long dinosaur fan who was pointing out the errors in children's educational programs since I was four, I find disregard for the actual creatures actually kind of personally offensive. Esepcailly in this day and age when research is a simple as a few seconds on google and wikipedia, and yet we still see places producing Pteranodons - with teeth - called Pterodactyls (and don't get me started on that last one).)
    ...Jurassic Park only ever gave a token nod to realism. Why would that change NOW? And why would an action movie try to be a realistic portrayal of dinosaurs as opposed to a dramatic/exciting one?

...People are intimidated by geese?

I mean, I don't see the appeal behind feathered dinosaurs to be honest, but the geese thing throws me off more than anything else.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post

I mean, I don't see the appeal behind feathered dinosaurs to be honest, but the geese thing throws me off more than anything else.
    I don't know if they have intimidating appearance per se, but geese are ****ing vicious. Not a joke. As a kid I used to live in the countryside, and some people leave flock of geese around as guard for their property (another thing is, they're really noisy. If they see someone entering your property they'll raise hell). They'll twist and rip chunk of flesh from your limbs and you can lose your eye fighting them, and they'll launch themself to you like a feathery meat missile. I guess people who have run afoul of them would be more intimidated than people who only know them from afar.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

And then there are the real terrors of the adorable bird world. Swans.
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    I don't recall that being in the first book, though
    I couldn't remember which one.

After googling it - this was the full quote:

"I must say, Ian, this tag is very interesting. Here at the zoo, we tag animals all the time, and we're familiar with all the ordinary commercial brands sold around the world. Nobody's seen this tag before. Here it is, magnified ten times. The actual object is roughly the size of your thumbnail. Uniform plastic outer surface, attaches to the animal by a Teflon coated, stainless-steel clip on the other side. It's a rather small clip, of the kind used to tag infants. The animal you saw was adult?"
    "Presumably."
    "So the tag was probably in place for a while, ever since the animal was young," Gelman said. "Which makes sense, considering the degree of weathering. You'll notice the pitting on the surface. That's very unusual. This plastic is Duralon, the stuff they use to make football helmets. It's extremely tough, and this pitting can't have occurred through simple wear."
    "Then what?"
    "It's almost certainly a chemical reaction, such as exposure to acid, perhaps in aerosol form."
    "Like volcanic fumes?" Malcolm said.
    "That could do it, particularly in view of what else we've learned. You'll notice that the tag is rather thick - actually, it's nine millimeters across. And it's hollow."
    "Hollow?" Malcolm said, frowning.
    "Yes. It contains an inner cavity. We didn't want to open it, so we X- rayed it. Here." The slide changed. Malcolm saw a jumble of white lines and boxes, inside the tag.
    "There appears to be substantial corrosion, again perhaps from acid fumes. But there's no question what this once was. It's a radio tag, Ian. Which means that this unusual animal, this warm-blooded lizard or whatever it was, was tagged and raised by somebody from birth. And that's the part that's got people around here upset. Somebody's raising these things. Do you know how that happened?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I said not quite as intimidating. not "not intimidating."

A vicious turkey might be scary, but a vicious man-sized lizard is more so.
    Let us not forget the extremely important fact that birds ARE dinosaurs - or, at the very outside conservative, so damn close as makes few odds - and many of them DID have feathers and whether people like that are not, that is just the facts.

You might as well keep showing Tyrannosaurus 1 standing mostly upright, like in the 1980s and sauropods with their tails dragging; hell, why not just go right back and have Iguanodon be a rhino, if you're not going to bother doing it right, why bother even making that effort?

Hollywood's tendancy to excrement all over history, prehistory and culture with revisions, because they can't be ARSED to do some basic research that frequently LITERALLY FOUR-YEAR OLDS will know if they have ever had a children's book on the subject read to them I find continually offensive. If you can't be arsed to put in as much effort as, say, fricking Dinosaur Train, a show for infants, you shouldn't be making shows about dinosaurs, frankly (and the same applies to historical films if you can't be bothered to make a similar actual freaking effort).

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Jurassic Park only ever gave a token nod to realism. Why would that change NOW?
    The first one made a token effort (because Michel Crighton had made one when he wrote the book), and based on the then-knowledge. It is a quarter of a century later. There is not excuse other than laziness (or worse, some executive/focus groups idea) for not making even a passing attempt do to the same with modern knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran
    And why would an action movie try to be a realistic portrayal of dinosaurs as opposed to a dramatic/exciting one?
    Why would an action movie try to be a realistic portrayal of [history] as opposed to a dramatic/exciting one?

Why would an action movie try to be a realistic portrayal of [a culture] as opposed to a dramatic/exciting one?

Why?

Because it is wrong.

It promotes and perpetuates inaccuracies, misconceptions and ignorance and denegrates the source subjects and there is NEVER an excuse for it. There is enough idiocy and stupidity in the world and media - ALL MEDIA - has a responsibility not to increase it. One that it continually shirks (like every other bloody responsibility anyone or anything has these days.)

"Because it is cool" is NOT an excuse or a defence.

Hell, in this day and age, if you can't spare five minutes to look something up on wikipedia or something on ANY subject for some form of media you are producing, you shouldn't be making media PERIOD.

Yes, this all does annoy the FRACK out of me personally, and, as I have often said, it did so since I first started school over thirty years ago, and never going to NOT annoy me until people STOP DOING IT.

1And I flat-out refuse to say "T-Rex", until everyone starts using D-Antirrhopus, B-Altithorax, V-Mongoliensis and/or T-Horridus in the same way, because Tyrannosaurus is not special enough to warrent specail naming convention.

18. - Top - End - #18

1And I flat-out refuse to say "T-Rex", until everyone starts using D-Antirrhopus, B-Altithorax, V-Mongoliensis and/or T-Horridus in the same way, because Tyrannosaurus is not special enough to warrent specail naming convention.
    When there's many members of a genus being talked about, the "Initial.speciesname" abbreviation becomes common. For example, in a talk about carcharinid sharks, you would expect it to be "C. limbatus" "C.melanopterus" etc.

But Tyrannosaurus rex is currently, the only species within its genus. At least, in places where Tarbosaurus bataar isn't considered to be Tyrannosaurus bataar.

Still - it's not the only species of anything, that has gotten the "Initial.speciesname" abbreviation - look at E.coli, or Escherichia coli as its full name is. Some things just get so well known, as to get abbreviated.

You might as well keep showing Tyrannosaurus 1 standing mostly upright, like in the 1980s and sauropods with their tails dragging; hell, why not just go right back and have Iguanodon be a rhino, if you're not going to bother doing it right, why bother even making that effort?

Continuity of imagery, might be part of the reason that featherless species in the first movie are still featherless in the latest ones ("Rexie" especially, since she's the same animal).

Still, given that Blue & Company were all-new, you'd think they could have taken the opportunity to update them, when they're prepared to clarify that those animals don't have frog DNA anymore - that would have given the makers a good way to justify the difference between JP1 raptors and JW raptors - but they didn't take the chance.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-09 at 08:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Still, given that Blue & Company were all-new, you'd think they could have taken the opportunity to update them, when they're prepared to clarify that those animals don't have frog DNA anymore - that would have given the makers a good way to justify the difference between JP1 raptors and JW raptors - but they didn't take the chance.
    And this is what I mean - two second's thought and a line of dialogue and that would have been sufficiently reasonable.

But no. That's too much effort.

The first one made a token effort (because Michel Crighton had made one when he wrote the book), and based on the then-knowledge. It is a quarter of a century later. There is not excuse other than laziness (or worse, some executive/focus groups idea) for not making even a passing attempt do to the same with modern knowledge.
    And on some wiki checking - actually, aside from the dubious decision to change the name of Deinonychus to Velociraptor (which is entirely Crichton's decision), the first movie got down as far as reportedly looking at John Ostrom's published papers on Deinonychus so as to be as close as possible. Which is, I would say (stupid name decision aside), at least something MORE than a token effort.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-12-09 at 08:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

They're a bit taller at the hip, and a bit shorter in the tail proportionately, than Deinonychus was though.

That said, the recently discovered Dakotaraptor (unlike Utahraptor) is both giant and lanky - having proportions much like Deinonychus, only scaled up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakotaraptor

aside from the dubious decision to change the name of Deinonychus to Velociraptor (which is entirely Crichton's decision), the first movie got down as far as reportedly looking at John Ostrom's published papers on Deinonychus so as to be as close as possible.

In the first novel, he didn't even change the species name - they are called Velociraptor mongoliensis in it. And (referencing Gregory S. Paul) mentions that Deinonychus is "now considered one of the velociraptors")

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Gregory_S._Paul
    https://dinosaursscifi.wordpress.com/2017/06/12/raptor/

Only for the Lost World novel, did he consult Ostrom on the subjects of Deinonychus, and mention that these ones will be called Velociraptors because it "sounds more dramatic" (having already used the name in the first novel).

https://dinosaursscifi.wordpress.com/2017/06/12/raptor/

So, think of it as "Crichton made his Velociraptor bigger than the real one in the first novel, and more like Deinonychus in the second novel"
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-09 at 09:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Jurassic Park has never had accurate Dinosaurs though.

The first scene of Doctor Grant, in the first movie, was him digging up a velociraptor mongolius in a place that was very, very far from mongolia and also to big to be a velociraptor. The kid who calls it a turkey
    (which a real raptor would actually resemble) is ridiculed and frightened by Doctor Grant for it.

As for making new individuals of a species more scientifically accurate... Unless they get a complete DNA sample instead of one they have to splice with frog DNA tofill in the gaps, they can really only do their best, and as an atraction Jurasic World is going to be making the dinosaurs that people are paying to see and people want to see the Dinosaur that exists in their mind.

The raptor pack in particular... Okay, realistic raptors, three feat from tip to tail, covered in feathers, would clearly be a differant animal than the raptors from the first three movies. Narratively, the intent of having Owen tame a pack of raptors is to impress us--the raptors are the smartest, most viscious, and most dangerous predators in the franchise excepting maybe the troodons from the Telltale game and obviously the Indominus and it's fellow genetic monsters from the various toylines. Having raptors that are clearly differant from the raptors we've seen in the other movies would undercut that.

Which gets me to the point: This has never been a franchise about accurate Dinos. This is a franchise about watching people get chased and/or killed and/or eaten by genetic monsters created by a man who got so excited with the prospect of bringing back the dinosaurs that he didn't consider if he should do so or the ramifications of the methods used to bring them back.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-12-09 at 10:06 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #22

Jurassic Park has never had accurate Dinosaurs though.

The first scene of Doctor Grant, in the first movie, was him digging up a velociraptor mongolius in a place that was very, very far from mongolia and also to big to be a velociraptor.
    While it's no good for a velociraptor, it works fine for a (not fully grown) Dakotaraptor, which has been found in the place where South Dakota borders Montana.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-09 at 10:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

While it's no good for an velociraptor, it works fine for a (not fully grown) Dakotaraptor, which has been found in Montana.
    Which would be great... if it wasn't explicitly stated to be a velociraptor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24

Which would be great... if it wasn't explicitly stated to be a velociraptor.
    Maybe in this universe, Deinonychosauria is called Velociraptora, and all deinonychosaurs are called "velociraptors" or "velociraptorans" instead?

The book, had "Deinonychus is now considered one of the velociraptors" at least.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-09 at 10:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Maybe in this universe, Deinonychosauria is called Velociraptora, and all deinonychosaurs are called "velociraptors" or "velociraptorans" instead?
    At which point, as we know longer using real-world scientific terms, we are no longer nessesarily using real-world accurate science.

Besides, if that were the case, it'd be simpler to just say that Velociraptors are bigger and native to Montana in this universe.

(Also, there is that popular fan theory that there is no dinosaur DNA and the park just fabricated the dinos whole cloth.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

There's a difference between "the lay palentologist knows you fracked it up" accuracy and "you have clearly never picked up a dinosaur book in your life and small children know you're that freaking wrong" accuracy.

They made at least an attempt at accuracy in the first movie.

Raptors has feathers, that's just not open to debate anymore (no how much it might outright offend some people's nostalgia - and it surely will, be there is no depth to the levels humanity will sink to, there's going to be people out there offended), just like Iguanadon is not rhinoceras-shaped and Tyrannosaurs doesn't have an upright stance. We simply know better. Featherless raptors are now just flat-out wrong and out-dated; as wrong as sauropods living in deep lakes or having crocodile-like leg stances (yes, that was a real thing that at least one set of reconstructors believed, based solely on "dinosaurs were reptiles, so they must have lizard legs"), the sun orbiting round the Earth and diseases being caused by humors in the body; it's objectively, factually (and very obviously, in this case) wrong.

(I mean, Velociraptor is literally on the list of "dinosaurs we've found that have feathers," so there isn't even the highly dubious wiggle room of "well, maybe all the other members of it's family did, but maybe this one didn't...")

Hell, we now know enough that you could now be actually wrong in what colour Archeopteryx was[sub]1[/sup], since now we have a pretty good idea what colour its feathers were.

At which point, as we know longer using real-world scientific terms, we are no longer nessesarily using real-world accurate science.
    And I might have some sympathy with people if they said "we're making stuff up" like the Weta Workshop did in with Wetasaurus, because at least they were upfront about it. (I might even have given Jurassic World some leeway on the made-up antogonist telepathci doofer, had they not got so much else so obviously wrong (like Pteranodons being able - or even WANTING - to carry off humans to eat).

As I often say, I don't expect you to be always right, do I damn well DO expect you to show me you gave enough of an [expletive] to have freaking THOUGHT about it and done some basic research.

[sub]1[/sup]Within a reasonable margin of error; we know enough to be able to rule out "it could be any colour", at any rate. (Black, and/or a pattern dark-and-pale - which, while not enough to give a certain answer, is a hell of a ballpark smaller than "it could be anything.")
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-12-09 at 11:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Bleaky, the reason the raptors in Jurassic World don't have feathers is that they're supposed to be the same animals as the featherless raptors from the first movie.

Whatever giving frog DNA to the Raptors did make them not have feathers.

Making scientifically accurate raptors separate from the old ones would undermine the point of having Owen train raptors, becuause they were trying to see if the original raptors could be trained.

Jurassic Park 3 had Doctor Grant flat out state that the Dinosaurs on the islands were not "real" Dinosaurs(He refers to them as themepark monsters) and in Jurasic World Doctor Wu, while deflecting blame from problems with the I-rex from himself, flat out states that all of the Dinosaurs are genetically engineered hybrids and that he's more than capable of more accurate and genetically pure dinosaurs but that it's not what the higher-ups funding and running the pack want.

So yeah, they did say "we're making stuff up."

(They also retconned some things--promotional material for the viral advetizing campaign states that Doctor Wu left a hybrid donosaur on Isla Sorna in 2003, which is implied to be the "Spinosaurus" from Jurasic Park 3, to explain why it's innacurate looking.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-12-09 at 11:39 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly my utter indifference to the humans isn't so much rooted in a desire for accurate dinos (although that'd be great) as it is in the fact that the humans are deeply boring. Every minute spent on them yammering about their cliche backstory or dumb motivation is a moment a dinosaur isn't doing something cool.

I'm a simple man. I just want dinosaurs doing cool stuff for two hours.

If you *must* have a human protagonist, why not a scientist going to do dinosaur research? The setup is perfect, big island, lots of dinosaurs, so it's just like one professor and two research assistants. Small cast, focused peril, and their literal job is to watch dinosaurs do dinosaur things. So when the movie pays no attention to them for, say, a T-rex hunting a triceratops, it makes perfect sense because they're supposed to be in the background watching.

(Or they should go full-bore the other direction with the whole weaponized dinosaurs concept. I'd also watch Mechasaurus Destroys San Francisco. That would, admittedly, be a very different movie, but whatever)

29. - Top - End - #29

Bleaky, the reason the raptors in Jurassic World don't have feathers is that they're supposed to be the same animals as the featherless raptors from the first movie.
    They specifically said in the movie something along the lines of "they don't have frog DNA anymore". Maybe someone else can remember the precise wording.

(They also retconned some things--promotional material for the viral advetizing campaign states that Doctor Wu left a hybrid donosaur on Isla Sorna in 2003, which is implied to be the "Spinosaurus" from Jurasic Park 3, to explain why it's innacurate looking.)
    Even at the time, there was a hint that the Spinosaurus does not belong:

"I don't remember seeing that on InGen's list."
    "That's because it wasn't on their list. Which makes me wonder what else they've been up to."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-09 at 11:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be honest what I want at this point is to make a movie with different animals in it.

Permian Park would be plenty horrifying and be different, or Ordovocian Aquarium. The key concept of horror movie using extinct animals is fine, but they need to switch the animal and concentrate on the horror.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".