New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Sheep on the Borderlands

Ruth

Ruth swears as her spell fizzles. Ilmater's ever-bleeding bollocks! Unfortunately, this is no more effective than her magic, so she resorts to a more direct approach. A wind springs up, spinning around her and she lifts off the ground. Floating into the air, Ruth rises up and settles upon the roof of the tavern, her eyes glowing a fiery blue. Twin orbs of water form in her hands, then surge towards two of the wolves. As they fly, the orbs crackle with thunderous energy.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, I'm probably over-spending here, but I'm going to twin Chromatic orb and attack two of the three wolves. I'm also going to use tempestuous magic to fly to the roof of a nearby building, preferably the tavern (assuming that the tavern's roof if lower than 10ft).

Attack 1: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage 1: (3d8)[11]
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage 2: (3d8)[12]

Damage type is thunder, since that is broadly thematic (lightning and maybe radiant could be done as well).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Steph Carnel

Steph runs up to the bear, lunging at a soft spot under his throat.
    "So, are you a bear-man or a man-bear? he tells it, before retreating to his group.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Move action to the bear

Attack action:
    -To hit: (1d20+5)[25]
    -To wound: (1d8+3)[4]
    -To sneak attack: (2d6)[7]

Cunning surge (is this the name?) to use the bonus action to retreat to our first line (doesn't matter if Dash or Disengage, but let's use Disengage)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Torinn emerges from the tavern and draws back his bowstring, waiting for the moment to let his arrow fly toward the rampaging bear moving toward the group. Steph serves as a fitting distraction as he runs forward, around the edges of the howling winds, and begins to tangle with the large beast--or, as it turns out, person in beast form. The bear had been waiting for someone to meet it in combat and swipes across with a large paw of razor-sharp claws and follows it up with a snap of it's powerful dagger-like teeth. The rogue reels from his wounds and dances around with quick footwork to scores a solid hit into the thing's throat which provides his ally with the open shot he needs to score a bullseye hit with an arrow. Ducking out of the way of another large paw swipe, the swordsman retreats back toward the group at the door of the inn.

Ruth acts quickly to capitalize on the shattering boom that had laid waste to the wolves and summons her own orbs of thunder to send screaming toward the creatures. Each of the orbs slams into a wolf as it fights against the howling gale and with a yelp and cry the pair of creatures collapse to the ground.

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

Wolf 1 takes 11 thunder damage. Defeated.
    Wolf 2 takes 12 thunder damage. Defeated
    Bear uses readied action Multiattack.
    Steph takes 8 piercing damage then 11 slashing damage.
    Bear takes 13 damage.
    Bear takes 24 damage.

It is now the Wolf turn.

The remaining wolf fights against the winds and sprints toward the group of heroes. Fangs bared, it rushes Alastair and lunges at the man but is unable to make purchase with it's bite.

Show

Wolf 3 misses and deals no damage.

It is now the Half-Orc turn.

The half-roce fights against the winds, holding an arm up to cover his face, but is unable to over come them. His brown jacket flaps wildly as he is driven back 15 feet and then lets out a roar of anger and pushes back, charging full speed toward the group with his sword raised.

Show

Half-Orc slides back 15 ft and then dashes forward 50 feet.

Spoiler: Turn Order
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    Bear
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc
    Spoiler: The State of Things
    Show
    Two wolves lie dead in the street.

The last wolf is adjacent to Alistair. (In the wind)
    The Half Orc is roughly 15 ft away. (Out of the wind)
    The bear is roughly 20 ft away. (Outside of the wind)

It is now the Alden / Saias / Alastair turn.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-12-15 at 03:41 PM.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Saias

"Ugh. If I have to guess, the bear is polymorphed. Seems to be a rather common occurrence today.".

With a rather tiny and fast incantation, Saias launches a white bolt of light at the half orc.

Show

Move: 15 feet back
    Action: Cast Ray of Frost on the half orc
    Save: (1d20)[11] + (Dex) vs. 14 (Spell Save DC)
    Damage: (1d8)[1], -10ft to speed on a hit.
    Last edited by Suicune; 2017-12-15 at 01:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Saias launches a ray of freezing ice at the charging half-orc but misses by the slightest of margins and the bolt slams into the buildings at the far side of the street ineffectively.

Show

Half Orc takes 0

Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    Bear
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc

Two wolves lie dead in the street.

The last wolf is adjacent to Alistair. (In the wind)
    The Half Orc is roughly 15 ft away. (Out of the wind)
    The bear is roughly 20 ft away. (Outside of the wind)

It is still the Alden / Alastair turn.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Alden Beckett, HP: 31/31 AC: 17, PPerception: 10, Ongoing Effect: Armor of Agathys (10/10)

"Well, gotta take 'em all down in any case." Maybe these wolves and bear were just victims of the wizard's apprentice, but there was no point in worrying about something like that. More important was getting through this fight in one piece.

Alden points at the half-orc with his sword and says: "You gonna die." Then Alden charges towards him, swinging his sword. The blade seemed to stir, and Alden felt excitement emanating from it.

Show
    Use bonus action to curse the target.

Move in front of the half-orc and attack: (d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (d8+5)[13]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alastair

Alastair does his best to ignore the variety of spells his companions are letting loose against the sheep's pursuers, but their effects are plain to see before him. Strong winds work to repel the half-orc after he endured Alastair's fire bolt, and a strong blast of sound incapacitates two of the wolves. The remaining one runs forward and snaps at Alastair but the half-orc proves more nimble than his large size would indicate. Alastair was trained in battle far before he ever dreamed of learning magic. He is no stranger to combat. He carries his momentum into a forward attack, calling out another spell that lights his blade in thunderous energy, Trumoiak!!

Spoiler: Turn 2
    Show
    Action - Booming Blade vs Wolf
    Attack - (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage - (2d6+3)[14]
    Hit Effect - Wolf takes (1d8)[7] thunder damage if it willingly moves before the start of Alastair's next turn.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Alden meets the half-orc face to face in combat and begins to duel him. The pair exchange clashing blades several times but the swordsman is unable to find purchase on the brown-skinned brute. Alastair calls upon thunderous magic and strikes down at the snarling wolf but the thing manages to evade his blow and snarls a wicked growl back up at him.

Show
    Wolf takes 0 damage from Alastair
    Half Orc takes 0 damage from Alden

It is now the Bear's turn.

The gigantic brown bear continues its charge; the fury in its eyes seemingly doubled since getting a few solid blows in on Steph. It sweeps around the duel between Alden and the half-orc and charges into the pack of folks standing near the door. Figuring him to be an easier target, the bear chomps down on Saias and attempts to swipe him with a clawed paw but misses.

Show
    Saias takes 8 piercing damage from Bite
    Saias takes 0 damage from Claws

Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    Bear
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc

It is now the Ruth / Steph / Torinn turn.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Steph! Get the bear right flank! I'll keep hitting his left! He's going down soon! Torinn shoots another arrow at the bear.

Show

Bonus Action : Help Steph versus the bear! Steph next attack versus the bear is done with advantage.
    Attack action :
    (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage : (1d6+2)[5]
    Sneak attack : (2d6)[8]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Steph Carnel

I thrust the bear flank, laughing "You do realize we can't eat him after skewering him, right?"

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Attack with advantage:
    (1d20+5)[7]
    (1d20+5)[20]

Damage (1d8+3)[7]+(2d6)[9]

"Wizard, you may want to put some more distance if this bear of a man doesn't fall!"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruth

Ruth continues to chant, a tiny hurricane surrounding her. The other two sitting in the tavern are duelling with the bear, with what seems to be reasonable effectiveness, so she turns her attention to the half-orc and the wolf. Summoning a swirl of water into her hand, she gestures at the lupine beast duelling with Alden. Freezing water leaps up from the ground, attempting to ensnare it in cords of liquid.

Show
    Ruth casts frostbite on the wolf. It must pass a CON save or take 1d6 cold damage and have disadvantage on its next attack roll.

Damage if save failed: (1d6)[1]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Torinn and Steph continue to tag-team attack the rampaging bear and after some quick footwork, some even quicker bladework, and another marksman precision arrow the thing slams into the cobbles with a resounding thud. An attempt at a roar turns into a ragged bit of breath as the thing breathes its last surrounded by the group of you. Ruth opts to prioritize on the final wolf and summons a gout of freezing water and launches it at the beast.
    Perhaps the things was too quick, perhaps it was used to the cold, or perhaps the gale of wind made the spell less effective, but it shrugs off the frost bite and keeps fighting.

Show
    Bear takes 13 piercing damage from Torinn
    Bear takes 16 damage from Steph
    Wolf takes 0 damage from Ruth
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc

It is now the Wolf turn.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

The Wolf fights against the wind and manages to overcome it, swooping around to the north alongside Alastair and snapping at him. Lines of sharp teeth sink into the mans leg and the wolf yanks hard causing him to lose his footing and tumble to the ground.

Show
    Alastair takes 7 piercing damage from Wolf
    Alastair fails a STR Save (9) and falls Prone
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc

It is now the Half Orc turn.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets[/I]

The Half-Orc slips around Alden and takes up position in the center of the trio of heroes. Gripping his sword in both hands, he whirls around in a circle with the blade at arms length, its sings through the air as it nearly misses Steph. Once he finishes the spin he spies the prone from of Alastair on the ground kicking off the jaws of the wolf and the brings his sword down on the man hard. Inches before the blade makes contact, a shield of force springs up around the man and protects him from the blow.

Show
    Steph takes 0 damage from Half-Orc
    Alastair takes 0 slashing damage from Half-Orc
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    Wolf
    Half-Orc

It is now the Party's turn.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-12-17 at 10:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alastair

Alastair cries out in pain as the wolf sinks its teeth into his leg. The creature proves strong enough to drag Alastair to the ground and he falls unceremoniously on his back. He kicks at the beast until it is forced to let go, but it's half-orc master saunters up and chops down with his sword. The blow rings loudly as the sword comes down on Alastair's armor. He grunts with pain, but quickly stands to his feet as his assailants concern themselves with his companions. Trumoiak, he mutters, swinging his blade toward the wolf.

Spoiler: Turn 3
    Show

Movement - Stand from Prone.
    Action - Booming Blade vs Wolf
    Attack - (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage - (2d6+3)[10]
    Bonus Action - Second Wind (1d10+3)[11]
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2017-12-17 at 10:56 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Saias

Ooh, that bite smarted. Still, one threat was out of the way,and things seemed to be going mostly well. May as well try to wrap this up quick. Saias immediately pressed both hands forward, and with a small chant, fire flooded from his fingertips.

Show

Move: 5 ft right

Action: Cast Burning Hands directly right.

Saves:
    Wolf: (1d20)[18]
    Half-Orc: (1d20)[9]

Use Sculpt Spells (#of people = 1 + spell level) to shelter Steph and Alastair from the blow.

Damage on Hit:
    (3d6)[11]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Alastair kicks free of the wolf's jaws and manages to right himself. With great force--and a little magic--he brings his weapon down upon the things skull and removes it from the fight permanently. Saias conjure up a wave of flames that wash over the Half-Orc and leave the edges of his jacket and parts of his hair singed and burning.

Show
    Wolf takes 10 damage from Alastair (Defeated)
    Half-Orc takes 11 fire damage from Saias
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    //
    Half-Orc

It is still the Party's turn.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-12-17 at 11:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Steph Carnel

"About time we put an end to this, shall we?
    Seriously, you're alone"
    he says, pointing his sword at the half-orc "Surrender and no one will take you life away"

Show
    I hope this is a persuasion check? (1d20+7)[16]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruth changes focus, as the wolf catches fire and falls to the ground. Moving forward slightly, she summons another swirl of water into her hand, then halts, waiting to see what result the rogues threat will have.

Show
    Right, I'm going to ready an action to nail the half-orc with frostbite when it starts to move.

As before, DC 14 CON save or (1d6)[4] damage and disadvantage on it's next attack roll.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Alden Beckett, HP: 31/31 AC: 17, PPerception: 10, Ongoing Effect: Armor of Agathys (10/10)

"I suggest you do what the elf suggests, pal. Be smart.", Alden says to the half-orc, blade at ready.

Show
    Ready an action to attack if the half-orc attacks.

Attack: (d20+9)[27]
    Damage: (d8+5)[6]

21. - Top - End - #81

Torinn get closer to the half-orc.
    So... how do you like your pile of corpse? Choose your answer carefully... or tell us what you want on your tombstone... or don't... i'll probably just write "Here lie a halfbrain coward". Anyway, my point is that you probably don't want to die now. And he smile as he get's an arrow ready.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show

Move action : Get to 10' of the half-brain
    Ready action : Bow attack if he takes a hostile action (attacking or moving toward any of us)
    (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage : (1d6+2)[5]
    SA : (2d6)[6]
    Edit : +11 damage (3d6) rolled in Discord for the critic
    Last edited by Sirithhyando; 2017-12-18 at 11:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

Maybe it was because he was finally in the thick of the fight and his senses were deafened by the thrill of the fight... or maybe the parlay attempts of some of the group was lost when others like Torinn undermined it by continuing to spout threats and insults. Either way, the Half-Orc doesn't let up from whirling his sword around and continuing to slash at any of those nearby. The group unleash a volley of attacks that barely seem to make the man give pause and in fact only seem to make him madder.

Show
    Half-Orc takes 4 damage from Ruth (Disadvantage on next attack)
    Half-Orc takes 6 damage from Alden
    Half-Orc takes 22 damage from Torinn
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    //
    Half-Orc

It is now the Half Orc's turn.
    Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 2017-12-18 at 11:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

"Damned fool." the sheep mutters to itself as the Half-Orc continues rampaging. He whirls he sword around and barely misses Alastair with a slash before sweeping around and making contact into Alden's side. With an overhead arcing sweep he tries to bring the blade again on Alastair once again but can't find purchase on the man.

Show
    Alastair takes 0 damage from Half Orc (Disadvantage this attack)
    Alden takes 10 damage from Half Orc
    Show
    Show

Alden / Saias / Alastair
    //
    Ruth / Steph / Torinn
    //
    Half-Orc

It is now the Party's turn.

24. - Top - End - #84

"Here lie a halfbrain coward" it is then... can't say i haven't warned you. Torinn let off a sight as he get's an arrow ready and shoot.

Steph! Please finish him off.

Spoiler: undefined
    Show

attack action : shortbow (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage (1d6+2)[5]
    SA (2d6)[5]
    Bonus : Help on Steph (advantage on next attack)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Steph Carnel

He raises his eyes to the sky.
    "I tried, I guess..." Steph says while thrusting at the orc side.

Show
    (1d20+5)[11] it's 15, rolled the advantage in discord

Damage (1d8+3)[9]+(2d6)[8]
    Last edited by Valmark; 2017-12-18 at 11:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

You're quite sure the man is completely ignoring Torinn's half-brain comments and tombstone threats--this is made easier when the dragon's arrow misses by some margin and clatters uselessly along the cobbles some distance down the street. The rampaging half-orc is finally brought to a calm as Steph slides a blade into his side however and the man lets out a haughty laugh as his sword drops and clangs upon the ground at his feet. "Sheeplover" he grunts down at Steph as his last breaths escape him. He spits toward you and slumps to the ground in a heap.

End Encounter One

27. - Top - End - #87

Torinn look at the sheep, then the half-orc. I certainly hope it was worth it, it was such a nice morning.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

The City Streets

The onlookers who'd been watching at the beginning of the skirmish begin to go about their business and chatter to each other in hushes whispers and shoot nervous glances down the street toward the adventurers standing amid the pile of corpses of animals and a half-orc. Arrows protrude from several of the downed creatures and they're marked by stab wounds, burn marks, and blackened frozen skin; dark blood began to pool beneath a few of them and tiny rivulets ran along the cracks between the pavestones.

"And here I though adventurers were supposed to jump at the chance to help those in need. If you don't think I can make it worth your time you can give me my scroll back, go back to your breakfast, and I'll find someone willing to help." Auridan bleats out a response to Torinn. He genuinely did seemed shocked that people weren't more excited about helping him...at least to the one person who could understand him.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Steph Carnel

He looks at the sheep quizically while checking the half-orc weapon.
    "Who told you that? I'm here for the song I'll get out of this and to make sure no one ruins this beauty" he answers gesturing to Ruth "Thought I don't think me or Torinn will mind a payment after skewering a few more bears"

Show
    How's the weapon? Is it in good shape? Can we sell it?

After checking the weapon Steph searches the orc pockets for something useful.

30. - Top - End - #90

Torinn look at the sheep.
    We didn't jump and helped you already? Anyway, don't worry, i wouldn't have jump into this fight if i didn't want to help. I'll see this through, you have my word.

He thinks a moment Did I pay for my food? Probably not... oh well